PDA

View Full Version : Fixtures (fianlly) out

marinobohs
20/12/2019, 1:50 PM
The Premier League fixtures have finally being released, opening day highlight is without doubt the Dublin derby, Bohs V Shams in Dalymount.
let the fun begin...

other first round fixtures - Dundalk V Derry City
Cork V Shels
Finn harps V Sligo
St pats Ath V Waterford.

welcome back football !!!

oriel
20/12/2019, 2:40 PM
Would Bohs not look into installing a temp / perm stand behind the phibs end, same as Pats have at the Inchicore end? They could easily sell this game out twice, then again I think I heard its the H+S access into that area that's the problem - pity. That type of stand would also look perfect behind our town goal.

On the fixtures, couple of classic 'random computer' ones for the Monday nights, Cork travelling to Dundalk on Mon 24/02, then a repeat of the fixture in Cork on Mon 20/04 are two standouts.

Sensible though by the league to move all 4 Euro teams from w/e 10/07 to Monday 25/05, and amazingly all 4 involved in the 2 games !

marinobohs
20/12/2019, 2:49 PM
Would Bohs not look into installing a temp / perm stand behind the phibs end, some like what Pats have at the Inchicore end? They could easily sell this game out twice, then again I think I heard is the H+S access into that area that's the problem - pity. That type of stand would also look perfect behind our town goal.

On the fixtures, couple of classic 'random computer' ones for the Monday nights, Cork travelling to Dundalk on Mon 24/04, then a repeat of the fixture in Cork on Mon 20/04 are two standouts.

Sensible though by the league to move all 4 Euro teams from w/e 10/07 to Monday 25/05, and amazingly all 4 involved in the 2 games !

Apart from the ownership issue about the shopping centre end, it has become dangerous after many years of lack of use and therefore H&S would almost certainly preclude any such structure.There would be the added issue of access, as currently it would have to be accessed via the Jodi Stand so couldn't be used for 'away' supporters.

the biggest stumbling block is that the owners Dublin City Council are very unlikely to do anything with the ground apart from the basic maintenance required, so no, there is unlikely to be any increase in seating availability.

yes, the dreaded Monday night fixtures remain with us and no thought given to travelling fans, I suspect it is no accident that the European teams are playing each other in the 'euro window'. Why the same effort couldn't be put in to minimising travel on the Monday fixtures....

Kingswood Rover
20/12/2019, 3:52 PM
Usual mad scrap for tickets have to get that aul printing press back out, hoping it would of been shels away as we would of got twice the amount of tickets.

marinobohs
20/12/2019, 9:41 PM
Usual mad scrap for tickets have to get that aul printing press back out, hoping it would of been shels away as we would of got twice the amount of tickets.

Expect you will get about 900 (subject to AGS) for Des Kelly stand. Some talk AGS may limit to less after flares etc thrown at Talbot in semi but I suspect it will be the full DK Stand. Bohs will have the Jodi but with increased number of members and season tickets I would expect a limited number go on general sale
Will definately sell out very quickly. What a way to start the season !

Kingswood Rover
21/12/2019, 1:05 PM
yep with lots of fans unable to get in

marinobohs
21/12/2019, 6:51 PM
yep with lots of fans unable to get in

Both clubs members should be ok (rightly) after that its a lottery.
Good complaint to have.

seand
23/12/2019, 8:06 AM
The problem with Monday night games is that in theory you want to minimise travel but we all know that attendances will be down 25-50% on a Monday, so the last thing you want really is a derby on a Monday night. Harps v Derry on a Monday would be grand for travel but would easily knock 20K off the gate.

marinobohs
23/12/2019, 9:28 AM
The problem with Monday night games is that in theory you want to minimise travel but we all know that attendances will be down 25-50% on a Monday, so the last thing you want really is a derby on a Monday night. Harps v Derry on a Monday would be grand for travel but would easily knock 20K off the gate.

The truth is there are no 'good' games for Monday night (unless possibly bank holidays), I agree that local matches mean the host club will take a hit, but from a fans perspective again you finish work/college/school get home just about the only criteria in deciding to attend a game is if you can make it !

I appreciate the added costs etc but wonder have the clubs been canvassed about the idea of extending the season to lessen (or better still do away with) Monday games ? with cup replays etc the odd one may be necessary but I think all agreed they are les than helpful.

sbgawa
10/01/2020, 3:46 PM
Bohs v Rovers moved to 2pm on Saturday the 15th , due to An Garda concerns

nigel-harps1954
10/01/2020, 4:02 PM
Cabo v Bray
Wexford v UCD
Galway v Athlone
Longford v Shamrock Deux
Cobh v Drogheda

Kingswood Rover
10/01/2020, 4:18 PM
Bohs v Rovers moved to 2pm on Saturday the 15th , due to An Garda concerns

ffs cant police a crowd of 37 hundred garda concerns may be "lads i am concerned that we are not getting the boys time and a half on Fridays lets move this to a Saturday"

Jack B
10/01/2020, 5:20 PM
Never ceases to confuse me how there's such a stress when it comes to policing a crowd of less than 4,000 people, god help them when the Euros comes into town and Lansdowne might actually get a game with a sizable number at it. As if they won't encounter the same potential issues at 2pm on a Saturday?

The Donie Forde
10/01/2020, 5:30 PM
Well, the FAI currently owes them a pretty penny.
Let's the league isn't going to get the run around as a result...

pineapple stu
10/01/2020, 5:59 PM
So UCD have -

5 away games in a row, over a space of two months (i.e. no home game in that time)
Then 4 home games in the next 3 weeks
Then 2 games - home or away - in the next five weeks

This must be the daftest set of fixtures yet.

Kingswood Rover
10/01/2020, 6:10 PM
Well, the FAI currently owes them a pretty penny.
Let's the league isn't going to get the run around as a result...
Gonna owe them more if its time and a half

Nesta99
10/01/2020, 6:27 PM
So UCD have -

5 away games in a row, over a space of two months (i.e. no home game in that time)

Ye'd have to wonder who does the fixture list up!! Good job they dont have a load of international TV companies, Emergency Services, Refs and player reps all negotiating game slots on a fixture committee. How hard can it be to set the dates and then have a computer generate the fixtures with parameters like not having a team play x games home/away per month, with some degree of common sense fixtures eg 'Derby Day' across the league or not havind Derry v Cork on a Tuesday!?

pineapple stu
10/01/2020, 6:29 PM
Saw elsewhere that Euro 2020 may be an issue if some clubs (UCD?) have given up their grounds for a while as a training base for the national sides in the Euros. That would explain it, if it's true of course.

Be a decent little fundraiser.

Nesta99
10/01/2020, 6:38 PM
Saw elsewhere that Euro 2020 may be an issue if some clubs (UCD?) have given up their grounds for a while as a training base for the national sides in the Euros. That would explain it, if it's true of course.

Be a decent little fundraiser.

It would explain 2 maybe 3 weeks unless a team is spending a full month in one training camp base in Ireland and I dunno why they'd do that. They could surelay reverse fixture 1 and maybe 5 during the 2 months. Training pitches used will have to be top notch I suppose which might account for no use of a picth for such a long spell - there will be benefit there for a host club.

outspoken
11/01/2020, 9:26 AM
So UCD have -

This is the point I raised about not letting rovers B in and having a 9 team league. Imagine you end up with a run of fixtures like that and then have your bye week. Unbelievable strain would be put on clubs. I wouldn't say I'm in favour of letting rovers B in but it's definitely a better proposal than the 9 team league. I can see why clubs are against it though, especially now the likes of Dundalk are looking in for a B team.

dundalkfc10
11/01/2020, 10:15 AM
Never ceases to confuse me how there's such a stress when it comes to policing a crowd of less than 4,000 people, god help them when the Euros comes into town and Lansdowne might actually get a game with a sizable number at it. As if they won't encounter the same potential issues at 2pm on a Saturday?

The last 16 game in Dublin, could be England V Germany. God help the Gardai then

Dalymountrower
11/01/2020, 12:07 PM
There is a certain Inspector in Mounjoy GS who has a frequently expressed contempt for association football and particularly the LOI and its fans..His love of, and dedication to,the GAA will probably propel him up the ranks soon enough.Until then he will do everything he can to destroy the Bohs / Rovers fixture.He will also do something similar with the Pats and Shels games.
What a contrast to the sensible policing of the Tallaght fixtures.

placid casual
11/01/2020, 9:13 PM
The differences in stadiums between dalymount and tallaght is one major reason for the difference in cop security detail, but your right to say the difference in attitude between the 2 head cops in charge is a difference between night and day. Tallaght cops run a professional, organised,event exercise. I guess the Gah mucksavage running mountjoy/drumcondra just wants the love of the Jones road gang.

Nesta99
11/01/2020, 10:16 PM
Interesting to hear that as not so long ago a review of major incident plans for large GAA matches (not just for Croke Park) showed gaps in the Garda/GAA plans. The review group included people from outside organisations and they (unofficially) put the flaws down to a blasé attitude of 'will never happen at GAA games'. Why the plan put in place for Croker in particular, hosting garrison games was so different from more recent GAA matches has some additional context now.

Longfordian
12/01/2020, 3:43 PM
Amusing to see some scuffles at the Longford-Dublin GAA game in Longford yesterday being put down to "the soccer element" infiltrating the Dubs' support.

Nesta99
12/01/2020, 3:48 PM
Amusing to see some scuffles at the Longford-Dublin GAA game in Longford yesterday being put down to "the soccer element" infiltrating the Dubs' support.

Really??!!! Even if true it makes no difference, Dublin GAA supporters caused grief and not for the first time after the train was trashed a few years ago. Surprised the same thing wasnt rolled out after Louth fans spat the dummy after the 2010 LSC Final! But these things dont happen at GAA games.....

outspoken
14/01/2020, 2:30 PM
Really??!!! Even if true it makes no difference, Dublin GAA supporters caused grief and not for the first time after the train was trashed a few years ago. Surprised the same thing wasnt rolled out after Louth fans spat the dummy after the 2010 LSC Final! But these things dont happen at GAA games.....

It was, I remember reading a statement highlighting the fact Louth had a big soccer following on the day. As for the Longford game the other day, Dublin GAA supporters page instantly drawing the comparison with "soccer fans"

dundalkfc10
14/01/2020, 6:11 PM
It was, I remember reading a statement highlighting the fact Louth had a big soccer following on the day. As for the Longford game the other day, Dublin GAA supporters page instantly drawing the comparison with "soccer fans"

Every one of the people charged over Leinster Final, were memebers of GAA clubs.

I

Nesta99
14/01/2020, 8:48 PM

Considering the chap that tried to shoulder charge the ref wouldnt be seen dead at a soccer game and is well known in GAA circles - they'd say anything rather than face the reality that dirtbags go to GAA games too!

Charlie Darwin
15/01/2020, 1:44 AM
Every one of the people charged over Leinster Final, were memebers of GAA clubs.

I
I really hope that I at the end is the beginning of a confession :D

Besides, everybody knows the people charged at the Leinster final were cleverly-disguised Shamrock Rovers fans. Umbrellas were a dead giveaway.

dundalkfc10
15/01/2020, 1:25 PM
I really hope that I at the end is the beginning of a confession :D

Besides, everybody knows the people charged at the Leinster final were cleverly-disguised Shamrock Rovers fans. Umbrellas were a dead giveaway.

Haha no i was one of the poor souls in Tallaght when the Leinster Final was on.

My cousin played with Louth for years and after a U-21 Final V Meath, his mother hit the referee with an umbrella after the match*must be going back 20 years more now. Wasnt ever mentioned again, imagine that happened at a Bohs Rovers game

oriel
15/01/2020, 3:08 PM
Haha no i was one of the poor souls in Tallaght when the Leinster Final was on.

My cousin played with Louth for years and after a U-21 Final V Meath, his mother hit the referee with an umbrella after the match*must be going back 20 years more now. Wasnt ever mentioned again, imagine that happened at a Bohs Rovers game

Not the ref, but there was an hilarious scene once during / after a Pats v Rovers game in Richmond, a Rovers fan 'charged' the Pats end, brandishing an umbrella, maybe he was side tracked from a Leinster RUGBY game !

PartySaint
16/01/2020, 10:25 AM
Not the ref, but there was an hilarious scene once during / after a Pats v Rovers game in Richmond, a Rovers fan 'charged' the Pats end, brandishing an umbrella, maybe he was side tracked from a Leinster RUGBY game !

He was then chased away by a woman who ran onto the pitch