PDA

View Full Version : Techie Question....

shedite
17/05/2005, 7:14 PM
I have broadband in my house connected to a desktop which is connected to a printer.

This summer I plan on saving for a laptop, and my dad has recently bought one. I wanted to set up a wireless network so all the laptops and the desktop can use the broadband. I got a wireless router and that is working fine.

My question relates to the printer. Is there a way, using the wireless router or otherwise, to be able to print documents from the one printer using the router (besides e-mail or memory key etc).

For example, can the printer be connected to the router?

Any help welcome. Cheers.

paul_oshea
17/05/2005, 8:56 PM
yes it is possible. i know one way of doing it, using the serial port at the back of the printer you can make it wireless and then from the router you can assign it a static ip address. that way you can send all printer requests to that ip which will in turn do it for you.

i have the wireless setup here. so any questions give me a shout.

also check out this site, and the forum part will answer any questions:

www.dslwebserver.com/

shedite
18/05/2005, 12:31 PM
So do I have to get a network card for the printer and set it up as another computer on the network?

Peadar
19/05/2005, 11:03 AM
So do I have to get a network card for the printer and set it up as another computer on the network?

Is Bluetooth an option for you?

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 11:06 AM
shedite, what you can also do is connect the printer to one of the desktops connected to the network and let that be the dedicated printer server, that way you can direct all printer requests to that machine. do you folllow me?? ask questions if you dont understand as im not aware of how much you know/dont know.

Jim Smith
19/05/2005, 11:24 AM
shedite, what you can also do is connect the printer to one of the desktops connected to the network and let that be the dedicated printer server, that way you can direct all printer requests to that machine. do you folllow me?? ask questions if you dont understand as im not aware of how much you know/dont know.
Porbably the easiest solution and would work with any printer straight out of the box - its been a while since I've seen a serial port on the back of a printer, did you mean USB? The down side of the machine having to be turned on is a small price to pay.

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 11:27 AM
The down side of the machine having to be turned on is a small price to pay.

you mean turned on the whole time, i assume?

Jim Smith
19/05/2005, 11:39 AM
you mean turned on the whole time, i assume?
Only when you need to print from it. I use this system in an environment where the machines are usually on most of the time so its not an issue - there would be a fair bit of bureaucracy involved in connecting a printer directly to the network and the cost of a printer and network card would not be economical. I'm not up to speed with wireless networks so I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head if plugging an external wireless USB adapter into the printer would work - I'm sure a quick browse and/or e-mail to a vendor would sort this out. If plugging one of these in would work it would be a better option.

Peadar
19/05/2005, 12:05 PM
I'm sure you could connect the device to a USB hub and then setup the printer on each individual machine, allowing them to access it as needed.

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 12:25 PM
that is how i was suggesting earlier, but its overly complicated, if you can do the second way i mentioned i would advise that, if however you cant. do as i suggested first, or as pa burke says above.

Peadar
19/05/2005, 12:37 PM
but its overly complicated

Hardly!
If you spent the last 3 days with me, you'd have seen complicated and not a printer in sight.
Some people just don't understand the concept of a DMZ! :rolleyes:

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 1:11 PM
hehe, somehow i dont think he needs to understand the inner workings of a Demilitarized Zone either.

i thought you were awful quite pa burke alright.

Peadar
19/05/2005, 1:13 PM
i thought you were awful quite

Could be very quiet for the next 3 months.

shedite
19/05/2005, 2:07 PM
I have a fair understanding of how a Demilitarized Zone works. We did a lot on sacrificial lamb, judas and private affair servers at college.

Cheers for the advise.

think I'll use the second option, let the printer connected to the desktop and let the laptops print when the desktop is on.

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 2:25 PM
ya best option if you have at least one desktop. let me know how you get on and feel free to ask questions.