PDA

View Full Version : Card skimming techniques

paul_oshea
17/05/2005, 12:16 PM
where do they get the names for these things? like the lebanese loop for example? also does anyone notice that those that get caught are most often women?? anytime i read about them on the papers etc it seems that the most effected were women. has anyone ever got done by it? i saw one of the devices attached(picture) before to a barclays machine, it really is difficult to cop, because it looks like its meant to be attached to the machine, same colour, shape related to the size of the opening etc.

Babysis
17/05/2005, 12:23 PM
where do they get the names for these things? like the lebanese loop for example? also does anyone notice that those that get caught are most often women?? anytime i read about them on the papers etc it seems that the most effected were women. has anyone ever got done by it? i saw one of the devices attached(picture) before to a barclays machine, it really is difficult to cop, because it looks like its meant to be attached to the machine, same colour, shape related to the size of the opening etc.

My Brother, whom im sure will post later, got done for £130. He used his cash card one evening, and it was then used 20 miles away 5 min later. He has the police on it now.

Ash
17/05/2005, 12:26 PM
Its called the ‘Lebanese Loop’ because it is believed
that gangs from that country were first to use the device

paul_oshea
17/05/2005, 12:27 PM
£130 isnt that much compared to one that i just read abut a woman in sligo who got done for 2,700 euro. still though he must be well ****ed off, how did it happen? what way did they do it?

i know two lads who got it done to them, one not sure how but on his transactions was a £700 internet transaction in bulgaria!!LOL

another lad was stupid enough to fill in one of those forms, that says we are upgrading our faclities and we need to get your details etc along with his pin!!! he didnt get suspicious till he was on about it to someone else with the same bank the bloody numpty :rolleyes: and this lad works for a well known computer company.

Macy
17/05/2005, 1:10 PM
Always make sure you have the key pad hidden when putting in your pin - that'll beat the ones that use the camera above for the pin.

pete
17/05/2005, 1:36 PM
Banks are liable anyway so they should refund the cash.

dahamsta
17/05/2005, 2:03 PM
Presumably the origin of the thread...

Eastern gangs behind ATM skimming increase (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/05/17/story202903.html)
17/05/2005 - 12:53:03

Criminal gangs from Eastern Europe are using card-skimming devices in raids on cash machines around the country, it emerged today.

The gangs are believed to be moving between major cities such as Limerick, Galway and Cork for two-week periods to target busy ATMs.

The Irish Payment Services Organisation (Ipso) said card-skimming crime had escalated since it first became a serious problem in 2003.

Spokeswoman Una Dillon said: “The criminal gangs might come in for two weeks to a particular area and they they’ll leave again. In general you, as the customer, wouldn’t know anything has happened at all until funds start to leave the account.”

She said the criminals involved in card-skimming were mainly from Eastern Europe. “There are two or three separate gangs. We don’t see any Irish gangs involved.”

She added that the gangs were capable of targeting a particular ATM and taking up to €60,000 from customers over a brief period.

[...]

carrickharp
17/05/2005, 2:29 PM
It could happen anywhere in Ireland, I know a woman from my own village who got caught out at an ATM in Killybegs not to long ago all her wages were stolen, feckers :mad: .