PDA

View Full Version : Vieira Reveals Manchester United Respect

Karlos
17/05/2005, 10:39 AM
Patrick Vieria reveals his respect for the club he turned down on more than one occaision and his admiration for Roy Keane despite recent history between the two players

(oh and for the sensationalist lovers - there's 3 lines about Keane & Ireland that can be made into a dramatic 'Vieira's Lashes Keane' thread! :rolleyes: )

enjoy

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1485482,00.html

NeilMcD
17/05/2005, 12:03 PM
Its already been posted on other threads, this is the 3rd thread carrying this story

Karlos
17/05/2005, 12:26 PM
I was actually hoping for some intelligent discussion on the piece rather than the sensationlist ' vieria slams keane for ireland walkout'

For all the negative comments made, nobody has highlighted the obvious respect both players have shown for each other, something which has existed for a long time. I remember back in '99 reading Vieira singing the praises of Keane after he had been danced around by him. Vieira said he had thought he had got the better of him in the game at Old Trafford when Arsenal clinched the double but how Keane responded the following time they met was testament to his character and something he admired.

I also recall a nice memory of meeting Roy Keane in late '98 in Lifestyle Sports when he was signing autographs and I was dodging college as always! I had an Arsenal jacket on and he made a joke to me about having to get a signed picture of him in a Utd shirt. I asked him if he'd jump ship to the gunners and his reponce was modest & pleasant, something along the lines of 'sure, ya don't need me - you've a grand midfield, there's not too many better than Vieira and Petit!' By the wink that followed, i'm sure he meant, 'except for me maybe!' :)

I think today is another example of the respect Vieira holds Keane in and I imagine Keane has had no tougher opponent than Paddy over the years. The nit-picking of lines from the article to create a false picture was wrong and that not only goes for the media, it's been evident on here too. :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
17/05/2005, 1:51 PM
Well to be honest thats why posted up the full article in one of the posts but I think what has happened is that the original post was posted up from the RTE website which led with the "Viera Slams keane" story and so did BBC etc. So unless somebody actualyl went on to the Guradian website they would not haev found the full article. I think you are right, most times other news groups take the most controversial aspects from an interview and blow them out of proportino. The same goes for most of Keanes interviews too. I have to say he was a gentleman to me too when I met him and so was Dennis Bergkamp and Helder too.

Karlos
17/05/2005, 2:11 PM
:D
Helder too.

as in Glenn Helder of Arsenal fame?

Did you get his autograph! I was just wondering if he signed it Glenn Helder or Lionel Richie!!! :D

Used to be gas listening to the whole of Highbury singing 'Lionel Richie's on the wing' and 'there's only one Lionel Richie!'.

He did look uncannily like him :)

NeilMcD
17/05/2005, 2:12 PM
Yeah Glenn Helder, I did not get his autograph as generally I dont ask players for their autograph just have a chat and leave it at that. My brother did , I think he signed it Glenn Helder.