PDA

View Full Version : Viera slams Keane for Ireland walk out

Pages : [1] 2

paul_oshea
17/05/2005, 9:40 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0517/keane.html

Donal81
17/05/2005, 9:44 AM
He was saying it in relation to Keane going on about Senegal, which I thought was out of order. I'm not Viera's biggest fan but he's got a point.

NeilMcD
17/05/2005, 9:46 AM
Patrick Vieira speaks quietly. Regardless of whether the subject is his liking for a cup of tea, or why so-and-so is not his cup of tea, Vieira's tone and volume barely change. But his views will sound very loud in parts of Manchester.
Particularly to Roy Keane, when he reflects on Vieira's view of his withdrawal from the Republic of Ireland's squad before the 2002 World Cup.

The players - and their clubs - have a history, one which is certain to be at the forefront of their minds as they line up against one another in the FA Cup final on Saturday. The most recent memory will be of those scenes in the tunnel at Highbury before United completed the double over Arsenal with a 4-2 victory. At first, Vieira is mute about the confrontation between himself and Gary Neville that so enraged Keane: "I really have nothing to say about it." But that reluctance soon gives way.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I will not say I intimidated [Neville], I would say I tried to make a point," Vieira says. "He [Keane] reacted the way I would react if somebody came to talk to one of the Arsenal players - that's what I would expect. It did not surprise me at all, it was a captain's, a leader's reaction. I have big respect for him and all the Man United players, no doubt about it."
Judging by what Keane said shortly after the match, the Irishman has doubts about Vieira. Keane's perception was that Vieira was bullying Neville when the game was still 15 minutes from starting. When Keane then emerged late from the United dressing room into the tunnel and saw, in his words, "Vieira getting right into Gary Neville again - I mean physically as well now, I don't mean verbally, I said: 'That's it, I'm not having this'."

At that moment Keane embarrassed and infuriated Vieira by asking him why, if he loved Senegal so much, he did not choose to play for them.

The Highbury tunnel images, if not all the words, were captured live on television. Vieira had no retort that night verbally or physically, in fact he accepts that Arsenal were well-beaten, but reflecting on Keane's line about Senegal [Vieira moved to Paris when he was eight and has played 79 times for France], he says: "For someone who leaves his team in the World Cup, I think he should keep this kind of remark to himself.

"He [Keane] does not know my background and I do not want him to make a comment like that because he is not in a good position to say something like that. He walked away from his national team when they really needed him."

At this point Vieira's tone does alter because Keane's tunnel mockery of Vieira stems from the Irishman's scorn concerning the charity work Vieira does in Senegal.

"It makes me laugh," Keane said in an interview after that February match, "players going on about how they are saving this country and saving that country, but when they have the opportunity to play... well, it's probably none of my business."

Vieira's response to that is: "I have nothing to prove to him, I have nothing to prove to him. He is not from Senegal, he is not from Africa, he will not understand. So it is better for him to look after himself and what he's doing.

"Even saying what I have just said does not take away the respect I have for him as a player. When I came to England he was the one I was looking forward to playing against because he is the best in the business in his position. I have big respect for him."

Ironically, Keane had been doing work for the blind in Dublin when he made his comments. But there is little charity between Arsenal and Manchester United, between their managers, or between their captains. That Arsenal have beaten United only once in their last nine meetings suggests that they have become a psychological barrier to the Londoners.

Have United got under Arsenal's skin? "No, not at all," says Vieira. "Of the two games we played this season, the one in Manchester is still in our minds now. We didn't like the way we lost the game, that's all I will say." No mention of pizza, just an allusion to Wayne Rooney's collapse under Sol Campbell's challenge.

"When we lost at Old Trafford that stopped our [unbeaten] record and that is a bad memory because we took so long to recover from it. But when they beat us at home we had nothing to say. On the day, even though we scored first, they were organised and strong, I think they played better than us and deserved to win. You never know what's going to happen, it will be 50-50. The gap between the two is really close.

"There is a lot of passion because the rivalry between the clubs is really high. I think it's exciting - Manchester-Arsenal is like Barcelona-Real Madrid, it's like Milan-Internazionale. As a player you look forward to it."

It is almost nine years since Vieira joined Arsenal from Milan. He will be 29 in June and could scarcely have given more to the Gunners' cause. All of those 79 France caps have been won as an Arsenal player, a club record. August 2006 would mark a decade at the club and it will also see the opening of Arsenal's new stadium. If sometimes of late Vieira's longevity at Highbury has been under-appreciated it is because over the past three summers in particular Vieira's future has seemed to be elsewhere.

Quoted recently as describing playing in Spain as a "dream", Vieira clarified his position: "I did not say dream because it is not a dream. It was an opportunity last year and I didn't take it. Every summer myself or other players will be targeted by other teams. After that it is up to the club or myself to decide what will happen. I have two years left on my contract and I will be here, no doubt about it.

"I will have been at the club for 10 seasons. It is quite rare to find a foreigner who would spend 10 years at one club. I am really happy because every year I have progressed, even if this one was difficult for me because I feel I didn't perform at my best at the beginning.

"But I went through a difficult period and will come back stronger. I started the season with injuries. I came back and had another injury, my ankle. I have got back to close to my best but it's too near the end of the season.

"After the Cup final there will be a good rest before starting preparation for what will be a really exciting season for us."

First, Cardiff.

October 20 1990

United 0 - 1 Arsenal

An altercation between Anders Limpar and Denis Irwin sparks a mass brawl after which both Arsenal and United are fined £50,000 and get two- and one-point penalties respectively.

September 21 2003

United 0 - 0 Arsenal

Patrick Vieira is sent off before a Ruud van Nistelrooy penalty miss sparks a reaction which leads to bans for Martin Keown, Ray Parlour and Lauren and fines of £265,000 for Arsenal and £11,500 for United.

October 24 2004

United 2 - 0 Arsenal

Van Nistelrooy is banned for three games for kicking Ashley Cole. The tunnel fracas afterwards becomes known as Pizzagate.

February 1 2005

Arsenal 2 - 4 United

Roy Keane accuses Patrick Vieira of intimidating Gary Neville in the tunnel and both captains engage in a shouting match.

Macy
17/05/2005, 9:51 AM
Pity it took him months to come up with that - or was he too shít scared of Keane at the time?

Karlos
17/05/2005, 10:13 AM
Pity it took him months to come up with that - or was he too shít scared of Keane at the time?

It never ceases to amaze me how you manage to portray the sterotypical Man Utd fan in all it's glory increasing the power of the popular myth!

You'd never see that sort of thing happen at Malcom Glazier's Manchester Utd PLC.

It only took Alex Ferguson 5 months to break his silence in a daily rag on the pizza-gate affair but come to think of it he was probably just too sh*t scared that Fabregas might come after him with a slice of pizza or a cup-a-soup! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To be honest I blame Vieira for given the interview in the first place - it's not like everyone didn't know Keane was talking bollo*ks before this!

U-S-A, U-S-A!

Macy
17/05/2005, 10:20 AM
Lol.... :D

Karlos
17/05/2005, 10:28 AM
Lol.... :D

right back at cha mate! :D

sure there'll be plenty more of this before Saturday as long as you can keep delivering those classic ferguson-isms! :)

Stuttgart88
17/05/2005, 10:41 AM
You've got to admit that Keane was setting himself up for that remark when he questioned Vieira's national loyalty back in February. I'm surprised Vieira didn't say it there & then. In context it's a valid remark & Vieira's further points are perfectly respectful & dignified.

Unfortantely football is becoming like WWE these days with all kinds of "controversy" and disputes being brought up to publicise a big game.

For me the prospect of two really good & entertaining sides playing each other in a winner-takes-all match in front of 75,000 people doesn't need any further publicity to get me interested.

lopez
17/05/2005, 12:28 PM
...For me the prospect of two really good & entertaining sides playing each other in a winner-takes-all match in front of 75,000 people doesn't need any further publicity to get me interested.Ahh, but it does need talking up. The competition is now a waste of space. There's no doubt it meant something of significance to Millwall last year or Chelsea if they were still in it, but nothing to these two except for another medal for the players. The competition is now a shadow of it's former self. That's why we've had Don King advertising it last year (It don't need no Don! :rolleyes: ). Says it all for me. :cool:

As for the langer, well just to stoke the fires of Mount Pro-Keane, he never did believe that anyone was fit to play for a country other than that of where their mother's waters broke. :p

NeilMcD
17/05/2005, 1:34 PM
As for the langer, well just to stoke the fires of Mount Pro-Keane, he never did believe that anyone was fit to play for a country other than that of where their mother's waters broke. :p[/QUOTE]

If that is in reference to the alleged comments that he made to Mc Carthy about English, well that has been proved to untrue so I wonder what quotes you are going on to back up the fact that he never believed that anyone was fit to play for a country other than that of where their mother's waters broke

Paulie
17/05/2005, 1:39 PM
Ah Jaysus. Not this again.....pleeeeease!!

NeilMcD
17/05/2005, 1:40 PM
I agree.

WeAreRovers
17/05/2005, 6:15 PM
. I'm surprised Vieira didn't say it there & then.

Could be something to do with the fact that he's shít scared of Keane. Can't wait to see Keane break up the diving over-rated Senegalese/French waster on Saturday.

KOH

Green Tribe
17/05/2005, 6:21 PM
by the time we get around to Ire v Fra in the autumn, they'll be ready to slaughter each other ...... :D

jjppc
17/05/2005, 8:45 PM
Anyone know where Keane's kids were born . Did he ship the Mrs back to Ireland

lopez
17/05/2005, 10:45 PM
If that is in reference to the alleged comments that he made to Mc Carthy about English, well that has been proved to untrue so I wonder what quotes you are going on to back up the fact that he never believed that anyone was fit to play for a country other than that of where their mother's waters broke :D :D :rolleyes:
Could be something to do with the fact that he's shít scared of Keane. Can't wait to see Keane break up the diving over-rated Senegalese/French waster on Saturday.You forgot the Cape Verde Islands bit in your rant. Viera was born in Senegal of Cape Verde parents - the story I heard was that they moved there after a famine and Pat was born there but I'm sure Neil will fill you in with the true story - then left for France at eight. Hardly turning his back on his country like the langer did, is it? :eek: And while the Cape Verde Islands are at the moment far better placed than France at being in Germany next year (a win in June against South Africa will leave them top of their group), they didn't contest any World Cup before 2002...Not that I believe that's the reason Patrick declared for France.

Anyone know where Keane's kids were born . Did he ship the Mrs back to Ireland Ship? Back? I always thought the missus was English.

Neil? :confused:

Green Tribe
17/05/2005, 11:06 PM
. Hardly turning his back on his country like the langer did, is it? :eek:

Heh-heh-hee

:D :D

CollegeTillIDie
17/05/2005, 11:46 PM
Mr. Vieira had a point though! :D

Fergie's Son
18/05/2005, 5:18 AM
I thought it was a well articulate and reasoned point. Score one in the class stakes for Mr. Vieira.

Hibs4Ever
18/05/2005, 7:58 AM
Anyone know where Keane's kids were born . Did he ship the Mrs back to Ireland

:D :D GOOD STUFF

jjppc
18/05/2005, 2:42 PM
:D
Ship? Back? I always thought the missus was English.

Neil? :confused:

I guess Roy junior ( could make it, its in the genes) , given his dad's beliefs will be declaring for England then. We need to know !

NeilMcD
18/05/2005, 2:46 PM
Can anybody actually provide evidence that Roy Keane holds the belief that only Irish born players are fit to play for Ireland.

eirebhoy
18/05/2005, 2:51 PM
Well he did say the following in the tunnel:
"You know where Senegal is? Well f*cking play for them then"
:)

Nah, I'm sure that was just spur of the moment. He certainly knows what nationality his kids are. :)

NeilMcD
18/05/2005, 2:54 PM
But that was in reference as he said later to Viera doing lots of high publicity work for Senegal etc and promoting African football etc. That is not to say I agree with what Keane said but I dont think he has ever said anything that would reflect the belief that you should only play for the country that you are born in. He made of point of distancing of refuting the comments that he was alleged to have made about Mc Carthy. I think he was annoyed that that rumour was up by the FAI or anybody else in the room straight away.

jjppc
18/05/2005, 3:06 PM
QUOTE=lopez]
As for the langer, well just to stoke the fires of Mount Pro-Keane, he never did believe that anyone was fit to play for a country other than that of where their mother's waters broke. :p[/QUOTE]

I dont think he has ever said anything that would reflect the belief that you should only play for the country that you are born in. He made of point of distancing of refuting the comments that he was alleged to have made about Mc Carthy. I think he was annoyed that that rumour was up by the FAI or anybody else in the room straight away.

Who's telling porkies ?

Karlos
18/05/2005, 3:15 PM
But that was in reference as he said later to Viera doing lots of high publicity work for Senegal etc and promoting African football etc. That is not to say I agree with what Keane said but I dont think he has ever said anything that would reflect the belief that you should only play for the country that you are born in.

As you say yourself, Keane claimed AFTER the event that he said what he said in relation to Vieira's charity work. I for one minute don't believe that during the course of that heated argument in the tunnel, Roy Keane had time to think about Vieira's high profile charity work before saying 'you know where Senegal is? Then fu*king play for them'.

I can't see how anyone could conclude from that statement in the tunnel that he was talking about charity work highlighting African football - that statement came days later. Besides being an avid gunner, looking objectively i cannot see how Keane didn't mean it in any other way other than 'why aren't you playing for the country you are from mate?' :confused:

Don't think there's anything particularly wrong with what he said, it's just ironic coming from him. I just cannot understand the lengths some go to rationalise things Roy Keane says. He said it in the heat of the moment and he was out of order given his own circumstances, end of story. Even Roy says silly things at times, no big deal.

NeilMcD
18/05/2005, 4:00 PM
Paddy V.was right......unlike the Brat.....he's got a WC winner's medal.:o

So has Kleberson but he cant get ahead of Keane in the Utd team. There are some very average players with world Cup winners Medals.

NeilMcD
18/05/2005, 4:09 PM
As you say yourself, Keane claimed AFTER the event that he said what he said in relation to Vieira's charity work. I for one minute don't believe that during the course of that heated argument in the tunnel, Roy Keane had time to think about Vieira's high profile charity work before saying 'you know where Senegal is? Then fu*king play for them'.

I can't see how anyone could conclude from that statement in the tunnel that he was talking about charity work highlighting African football - that statement came days later. Besides being an avid gunner, looking objectively i cannot see how Keane didn't mean it in any other way other than 'why aren't you playing for the country you are from mate?' :confused:

Don't think there's anything particularly wrong with what he said, it's just ironic coming from him. I just cannot understand the lengths some go to rationalise things Roy Keane says. He said it in the heat of the moment and he was out of order given his own circumstances, end of story. Even Roy says silly things at times, no big deal.

I think Keane said it in the heat of the moment but i was asking for evidence that keane has ever said that you should only play for the country of your birth. This accusation has been thrown at him before the incident with Viera. There is no proof that he does not respect the non Irish Born players in the squad, there is no proof that he called Mick Mc Carthy and English ****. In fact his wife and kids are all English born. Now the incident with Viera is been used by some to bring that allegation up again and trying to say that his real views came out in an argument. I agree with you Karlos I think it was a heated argument and I dont think he thought about it that much. However he may have been reading about viera in papers and seen him on TV doing stuff with Senegal for charity and thought " what a load of nonsense". Then when he is an argument it comes out. Have to point out I dont agree with the comments he said to Viera. However I dont think he holds the view that you have to play for the country of your birth. If you read the long thread and many other threads in the past this myth has been posted up time and time again and I was just challenging it as it can quickly become common perception.

FarBeag
18/05/2005, 6:47 PM
How come that everything that Roy Keane says or others claims that he has said /did something that is not right in peoples eyes,he gets slaughtered.Does anyone ever give the man the benifit of the doubt and stop reading between the lines.There is a big difference in what he said to Vierra about playing for France and not the country of his birth Senegal and second/third generation irishmen playing for us.Irish players get the right to play for their country by having irish blood(apart from Paul Butler) Vierra emigrated to France with his Family when he was young and qualifies through a different route.That's what Keane mean and has got nothing to do with the fact that you have an English accent playing for Ireland.Jesus lady,its not so long ago he was trying to get Darren Fletcher to declare for us because of his Irish Mother. Maybe he just prefers the Scottish accent

lopez
18/05/2005, 10:07 PM
Jesus. There's some cojones being brought up here and it isn't just from Neil. :rolleyes:

...I just cannot understand the lengths some go to rationalise things Roy Keane says. He said it in the heat of the moment and he was out of order given his own circumstances, end of story. Even Roy says silly things at times, no big deal.I can't see how it is affected by his own situation regarding someone playing for a country other than the one of their birth. He's not played for another country has he?

Can anybody actually provide evidence that Roy Keane holds the belief that only Irish born players are fit to play for Ireland.

...He made of point of distancing of refuting the comments that he was alleged to have made about Mc Carthy...Initially I found it hard to believe this story, especially as it came from an English source. However I immediately got an email from someone who had a relative (FAI junketeen) present in the room when the Langer aluded to McCarthy as a Brit, and he claimed this bit was true. Moreover, he claimed the whole diatribe seemed to be reported verbatim. Now Neil, you believe what the f*ck you want to believe. I'll take the word of first hand witness. ;)

...In fact his wife and kids are all English born....Ah that old chestnut. How da f*ck would having an English wife and kids have to do with exonerating Roy's 'alleged' statement?

...There is a big difference in what he said to Vierra about playing for France and not the country of his birth Senegal and second/third generation irishmen playing for us...Sorry? Did you miss the bit about Viera's family coming from Cape Verde Islands. He's suddenly Senegalese because he spends eight years of his life in the country where he saw the sun for the first time? :rolleyes: FFS; Where's my England top?

FarBeag
18/05/2005, 11:19 PM
Quote..Lopez..Sorry? Did you miss the bit about Viera's family coming from Cape Verde Islands. He's suddenly Senegalese because he spends eight years of his life in the country where he saw the sun for the first time? FFS; Where's my England top?

What are you talking about? Vieira's family may well be from Cape Verde Islands but he was born in Dakar and when i last looked it was still in Senegal.So get back to your newcastle Brown or whatever your drinking and i hope the English top fits you.So who is the cojone now??

Green Tribe
18/05/2005, 11:32 PM
ding ding.....round 2 :D

lopez
19/05/2005, 6:07 AM
What are you talking about? Vieira's family may well be from Cape Verde Islands but he was born in Dakar and when i last looked it was still in Senegal.So get back to your newcastle Brown or whatever your drinking and i hope the English top fits you.So who is the cojone now??Well thanks for the honesty there WindBeag. Yet another fine example of the Free State education system. Why don't you f*ck off and follow a side with some 'real' Irishmen then?

FarBeag
19/05/2005, 7:42 AM
Quote..Lopez,,Well thanks for the honesty there WindBeag. Yet another fine example of the Free State education system. Why don't you f*ck off and follow a side with some 'real' Irishmen then.

The auld Tube System not running too well today then boss or did the missus forget to put the milk in the cornflakes.I Think you are a little mixed up as i sence a little bit of hostility here., At least i know which team i am following and it certainly aint the team whose jersey you are wearing.Hope the rest of your day goes well.

Karlos
19/05/2005, 7:48 AM
I can't see how it is affected by his own situation regarding someone playing for a country other than the one of their birth. He's not played for another country has he?
?

True he's never played for another country but Roy has refused to play for the country of his birth at one time, something he is now accusing Patrick Vieira of doing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's how it's related, it's not THAT difficult to comprehend.

CollegeTillIDie
19/05/2005, 8:20 AM
Ok a bit of background here. When I was a kid I lived in Canada for 6 years with my parents . Had we remained there I would have become naturalized and entitled to Canadian citizenship. Therefore had i been good enough at soccer, I would theoretically have been eligible for selection to play for Canada.
Through one grandparentś birthplace I was also eligible to play for Chile, through anotherś Egypt, through anotherś The Wee North and through birth in Dublin the Republic. Í hadn´t even the talent to play for American Samoa :D

Paddy V emigrated with his family to France aged 8. Therefore he was naturalized. Therefore eligible. Marcel Desailly was born in Ghana for God´s sake and former French rugby full-back Serge Blanco was born in Venezuela!

CollegeTillIDie
19/05/2005, 8:23 AM
True he's never played for another country but Roy has refused to play for the country of his birth at one time, something he is now accusing Patrick Vieira of doing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's how it's related, it's not THAT difficult to comprehend.

karlos
Spot on and another point. The rule that allowed Freddy Kanoute to play for Mali having represented France at schoolboy level was not in place when Paddy V gained his first cap for France. At that stage there was no going back!

CollegeTillIDie
19/05/2005, 8:33 AM
As far as I know Keanoś kids ( and Trigger the dog) are about as Irish as the Gallagher brothers fronting Oasis.

CollegeTillIDie
19/05/2005, 8:39 AM
Some people in this site and wearing squad number 16 have no idea what it is like to be the kid of an emigrant. Mick Mc Carthys Dad was from Tallow Co.Waterford and as he said himself in an interview on RTE Radio he was the only kid growing up in Barnsley that played hurling. If that doesn´t make you Irish a birthcert from Lombard St won´t either!

davey
19/05/2005, 8:49 AM
As far as I know Keanoś kids ( and Trigger the dog) are about as Irish as the Gallagher brothers fronting Oasis.

I don't think you can question the Gallaghers Irish credentials. Both Liam and Noel used to be regulars at Landsdowne Rd (Not sure if they still are). Noel also turned down the chance to do the England world cup song on the grounds that it wasn't his country.

Keanos kids? Well I think his wife is 2g so that makes his kids pretty Irish in my view.

Think before you post your ridiculous notions of nationalism :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
19/05/2005, 9:19 AM
I don't think you can question the Gallaghers Irish credentials. Both Liam and Noel used to be regulars at Landsdowne Rd (Not sure if they still are). Noel also turned down the chance to do the England world cup song on the grounds that it wasn't his country.

Keanos kids? Well I think his wife is 2g so that makes his kids pretty Irish in my view.

Think before you post your ridiculous notions of nationalism :rolleyes:

I wasn´t having a go at the Gallaghers for the record in spite of them using Union Jack guitars on stage on one occasion sheesh :eek:

NeilMcD
19/05/2005, 9:53 AM
Before anybody gets the wrong idea I just wanna clear up something, My main problem is that people have been for ages making allegations on this website and others that Roy keane has a view that only Irish born players should play for Ireland. In addition it has bee thrown about that he made comments about Mick Mc Carthys nationality and his right to play or manage Ireland as he was born in England. This has been done without any evidence. Lopez is the first person that I have seen to provide any sort of evidence that this would happen. Then again his evidence is from an FAI person, the same organisation that Keane was having a pop at. Therefore it would be fair to say that FAI or members of the FAI would not be the most neutral of witness'. I think Keanes commens bout Viera were unfounded and did not stand up to scrutiny and he has now been hit back with an obvious comment. At the end of the day its just petty squabbling but as Karlos said the two players do respect each other and Viera said he would have done the same as Keane did in protecting his player i.e. Gary Neville.

Finally in relation to the fact that Viera and Kleberson both have Wordl Cup Medals and there are many players far inferior to Roy Keane that have world cup winners medals along with many that are far Superior. Does it not trouble anybody that an Ireland fan on this board takes pleasure that Roy keane does not have one and that in his view he will never have one. The obvious way for keane to get a world cup winners medal (other than in an auction) is to win it with ireland.

davey
19/05/2005, 9:58 AM
I wasn´t having a go at the Gallaghers for the record in spite of them using Union Jack guitars on stage on one occasion sheesh :eek:

Forgot about that :(

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 10:01 AM
neil, transcripts were all over the shop during the world cup about what happened in saipan and keane did say mccarthy was only an english cnut and shouldnt have played for ireland/nor managed ireland.

Lopez is the first person that I have seen to provide any sort of evidence that this would happen

that what would happen? it did happen.

NeilMcD
19/05/2005, 10:04 AM
yes but these were later denied by Keane, Quinn, and reluctantly the FAI. The quotes in the paper were proved to be rubbish.

Lionel Ritchie
19/05/2005, 10:07 AM
So has Kleberson but he cant get ahead of Keane in the Utd team. There are some very average players with world Cup winners Medals.

roque junior ffs.

lopez
19/05/2005, 10:12 AM
The auld Tube System not running too well today then boss or did the missus forget to put the milk in the cornflakes.Nice to see you've sobered up, as there seems to be some backtracking on your part. Sad really, as the one thing I did welcome from you was your honesty on the subject of Ius Soli. Hostility? Just helping you out mate. Tell me; Do you think that if a greyhound is born in a stable, you can stick a jockey on it's back and run it in the grand national? Just wondering as it's clearly where you are born that is the main criteria of nationality with you, not what you are. So if that's the case then, why not do a Keano? Because following Ireland means not only do you have to put up with players who were born abroad but you have to put up with supporters born abroad too. I would have thought that might make you a little uncomfortable.

Your statement about 'Vieira's family may well be from Cape Verde Islands but he was born in Dakar and when I last looked it was still in Senegal' suggests that it is this country that Viera should be playing for, not Cape Verde Islands let alone France. If so then you no doubt think that I - along with all other 2G players and supporters - should be wearing the three hyenas, drinking Newky Brown and smashing up foreign cities because that IS WHERE WE WERE BORN. Trouble is that I sometimes find that when the Irish get knocked out of (or don't qualify for) tournaments it is often the people who have the biggest problem with English accents that look around for the remaining side with the largest number of players from their favourite club side's league to support. Is that you?

It's rather ironic that if the story is true about the Cape Verde famine and Senegal had the same citizenship laws then as Ireland now has, chances are Viera would be ineligible to play for Senegal anyway. Still, that's all a bit complicated for the Keanos and WindBeags of this world.

FarBeag
19/05/2005, 12:26 PM
Ok Loopeyz...You are obviously a very paraniod old man. I really do not give a toss if you were born on the moon but I know one thing for sure you are certainly wired to it.You are the one with the inferior complex not me. All i said from the start is ,that in my opinion Keane was slagging off Vieira for playing with the French(when he does not have french blood) and not the team of his birth Senegal , I never mentioned that fact that i do not think 2G players should play for Ireland, quite the opposite. For Fcks sakes my Children are born in London( with English Accents) so before you start jumping to conclusions and insulting people just ask a few questions politey,which you are obviously incapable of doing.
One last thing, you may be born in England,support the Ireland team and rightly so but i for one would'nt give a monkey's if you did put on that English shirt you talked about earlier on, wore your hyenas,drank your newky and smashed up foreign cities. Enough said.

livehead1
19/05/2005, 2:15 PM
Finally in relation to the fact that Viera and Kleberson both have Wordl Cup Medals and there are many players far inferior to Roy Keane that have world cup winners medals along with many that are far Superior.

ooo i don't agree with that!!! theres not many superior players than roy keane to have graced world football. when hes a retired and people look back in 15, maybe 20 years and see what he achieved after being turned down by numerous clubs, to go on and be one of the worlds outstanding midfielders and probably, in the future, a great manager.

NeilMcD
19/05/2005, 2:26 PM
I think he has been a great midfieler however I will admit that there have been many better players to have won world cups

Pele
Maradona
Ronaldo
Zidane
Beckanbaer
Ronaldhinhio