PDA

View Full Version : Euro2008

Jonny
06/03/2002, 6:36 AM
Hello.

I'd like to know what the Irish fans think of the proposed Euro2008 bid. There's quite a few Scotland fans feel sold down the river by JacK McConnell and that the Irish are being used as political scapegoats by him. But if it has a chance it would be backed by most.
What are your thoughts on whether Croke Park, Bertie's Bowl or Lansdowne will be used? Do you think even these problems are overcome the bid has a chance?

Orrabest

Jonny

joe
06/03/2002, 8:16 AM
IMHO the bid is doomed to fail. As things stand there isn't one ground in Ireland that is a) suitable and b) available, and it doesn't look likely that two will be there in 2008. Not 100% on the situation in Scotland, but don't two stadia need to be built? The proposals being that Dundee and Dundee United share a new ground in Dundee and Aberdeen build a new ground as well.

(Also what sort of attendances are these clubs getting? cos if they're going to be using 30,000+ seater stadia. how often are they going to be full?)

better to wait a few years and put in a proper bid then, methinks

pete
06/03/2002, 9:54 AM
I agree. Bid is destined to fail cos of so many reasons.

No stadiums ready or even planned to be ready yet

- Apparently UEFA rules dictate any stadis being used foer the championships need to be handed over to uefa a month before the first game & will be given back a month after the last game. This would mean the GAA would have to give up their hq for may june & july when most of their games are played.

- Irish govt wants to convert 49k capacity Lansdowne Rd into 35k all-seater. They haven't even asked the IRFU what they thought of!!! When such stupidity as that exists can see why bid doomed.

IMO the Scottish FA should stop the bid now & don't waste anymore money on.

The Irish bid is a total ego trip by our Taoiseach (PM) who has charmed/conned the Scottish FA into believing he can deliver 2 stadiums for them.

I know Scotland can't afford to go it alone but if they did manage to somehow I think they'd have good chance against favours Switzerland-Austria

MikeW
06/03/2002, 10:38 AM
Even if the Scots could somehow go it alone, I still think they have no chance of winning. They're proposing to use three stadiums in the same city (Celtic, Rangers and Hampden Park I think, all in Glasgow). Now, I'm no expert on hooliganism, but isn't this an absolute disaster waiting to happen? It'll mean almost half the teams will be based in the same city, with their fans hanging around the same city-centre before and after games. If england qualify how could they possibly keep every football hooligan in that country out? - there's no border with england. Its just asking for trouble if you ask me.

By the way, the 2004 championships in Portugal are proving hugely controversial with many politicians there calling for the entire bid to be scrapped because of spiralling costs. Its not just here that these things happen.

Schumi
06/03/2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by pete
- Apparently UEFA rules dictate any stadis being used foer the championships need to be handed over to uefa a month before the first game & will be given back a month after the last game. This would mean the GAA would have to give up their hq for may june & july when most of their games are played.

Maybe using Croke Park isn't such a bad idea after all. ;)

Jim Smith
06/03/2002, 12:27 PM
The whole bid is nonsense for so many reasons:

Scotland doesn't really want it as it can't afford it. Its just posteuring and grandstanding. When it all goes pear-shaped they'll blame the Irish side of the bid.

After the election the PD's will still hold the balance of power so the Bertie Bowl won't happen. I honestly can't see the GAA giving in without a major sweetener and do the IRFU want the capacity of Lansdowne Rd reduced?

MikeW is correct about the hooliganism, although if any city was able to deal with this it would be Glasgow - there wasn't any trouble the last time England were in Glasgow. Years of dealing with the old firm bigots I suppose. How much of the trouble in Lansdowne Road could have been avoided if the Garda hadn't been to proud/arrogant to accept the intelligence and help offered by the British police? Yes, I do know that the trouble was caused by English supporters and none of it would have happened if it wasn't for them.... but it doesn't bode well for inter police force cooperation.

I also don't like these joint bids in principle. They lead to twice as many corporate boxes and twice as many blazers getting tickets. It's hard enough for the ordinary fan as it is. Yes, smaller countries like Scotland and Ireland should get the oppertunity to stage big events but some method other than joint bids should be used.

Rant over :D

Jonny
06/03/2002, 1:04 PM
Thanks for your responses lads.
BTW I think Scotland could have gone it alone - there's a strong view that McConnell only went with a joint bid to get himself off the hook as he didn't want the solo bid to succeed for political reasons. We couldn't have the whole of Scotland feeling patriotic in an election year, could we?

Anyway, a joint bid it is and The Tartan Army messageboard has recently raised the issue of trying to get the 2 sets of fans online together to discuss what we think of the bid and if/how we should lend our support. The Scotland & Eire 2008 forum which has been set up for quite a while now can be found at

www.tartanarmyboard.co.uk

All posters are most welcome - it'll probably be interesting for both sets of fans to see what each others views are on this.

Cheers.

Pablo
12/03/2002, 12:53 PM
Theres an idea for a new forum section joe........