PDA

View Full Version : kylie in trouble

the 12 th man
17/05/2005, 7:46 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4554035.stm

she has breast cancer.

Macy
17/05/2005, 7:57 AM
Bit of a misleading title there 12th....

Gareth
17/05/2005, 8:00 AM
Wish her all the best. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Gerrit
17/05/2005, 3:25 PM
But is this true ?? I heard a similar story not that long ago and it appeared to be just gossip...

If true, I wish her all the best and hope for a good recovery. You don't wish these things to anyone...

Green Tribe
17/05/2005, 3:43 PM
Appears to be true, seems to be in early stages, so fingers crossed it will be ok............

paul_oshea
17/05/2005, 3:50 PM
this sorta subject is fairly close to home with me, so for her sake hopes all goes well, because in the false pretense that is the glamour and pop world she cant afford to be appearing any differently if ye know what i mean. hopefully for her sake it will just be routine, though if they state breast cancer they must be pretty sure i.e. she will have to have some sort of therapy plus operation.

Gerrit
17/05/2005, 3:50 PM
What treatment will it be ? Operational removal I hope ? Have a few relatives who nearly broke down because of chemotherapy's effects, I wouldn't even wish it to my worst enemy...

paul_oshea
17/05/2005, 3:54 PM
if its caught early enough more than likely she will have just chemotherapy 6 or 7 sessions. it depends on the size of the lump in relation to anything else.

i dont know everything or possibly anything but its more draining than anything esle, constant sleeping, dizziness, sick feeing etc. but an actual pretty big appetite depending on the time after chemo etc.

Lionel Ritchie
18/05/2005, 10:33 AM
Have nought but respect for anyone who goes 12 rounds with th big C. Hope she makes a speedy and complete recovery and even gets back to making those goddawful records of hers. Best of luck lass.

sligoman
18/05/2005, 7:54 PM
Australians from all walks of life, from the prime minister to radio jockeys to schoolgirls, rallied for pop diva Kylie Minogue on Wednesday as she prepared to enter hospital to fight breast cancer.

Every major newspaper in the country ran frontpage stories telling readers of Kylie's cancer battle, along with photographs from her three-decade-long career.

Her hometown tabloid newspaper in the southern city of Melbourne, the Herald-Sun, devoted eight pages to the story.

"You're in our prayers, Kylie," said Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper, which described her as "the Aussie girl-next-door who grew up to conquer the world".

Australian promoter and long-time friend Michael Gudinski announced on Tuesday that Minogue, 36, had been diagnosed with "early breast cancer" and would undergo immediate treatment.

Minogue postponed her Australian and Asian "Showgirl Tour" concerts. She had been due to play in Singapore and Hong Kong on her way home to her London base after the Australian performances.

Kylie Minogue rose from humble showbiz beginnings as a teenage actress in the soap opera "Neighbours" in the 1980s to international stardom as one of the world's top pop singers.

The music star, who is signed to EMI, is worth about A$60 million (24.7 million pounds), according to a 2004 list of rich young Australians compiled by BRW magazine.

Prime Minister John Howard said all Australians felt shocked and saddened by the news, adding that it was a reminder that cancer could happen to anyone no matter what their age.

"Any young woman of that age, to be diagnosed with that condition, it does send a shudder through you," Howard told Australian radio.

"It happens to a lot of young women. It's a reminder because it's a high-profile person, just how wide is the incidence of breast cancer amongst young women," Howard said.

"It just reinforces the need for women from a very early age to take all the precautions in the world to detect the condition in its early stages."

Howard's wife, Janette, underwent surgery for cancer in 1996, but the type of cancer has never been disclosed.

NOT A DEATH SENTENCE

Breast cancer is the biggest cause of cancer deaths in Australian women, with almost 12,000 diagnosed with the disease each year, says the National Breast Cancer Centre.

Latest available statistics show 2,594 women died from breast cancer in Australia in 2001.The risk of contracting the disease increases with age, with 24 percent of new cases diagnosed in women aged 20 to 49, 49 percent in women aged 50 to 69, and then falling back to 27 percent in women aged 70 and over.

"I certainly hope her diagnosis doesn't create a lot of unnecessary fear and anxiety, because the incidence of breast cancer in young women is very, very low," said Helen Zorbas, director of the centre.

Zorbas said she hoped Minogue's high profile would bring awareness of breast cancer to more women. There was currently no means of preventing breast cancer, with early detection the medical focus in reducing deaths from the disease.

Early breast cancer means the cancer is usually confined to the breast, has not spread to vital organs, and can be surgically removed, according to the National Breast Cancer Centre.

"This is the type of breast cancer where we have the greatest potential to save lives," said Zorbas. "More and more people are surviving the disease. It's not a death sentence."

Minogue is expected to enter hospital within days for treatment. Surgery would usually involve cutting out just the cancer if it is small enough, or removing the entire breast, followed by radiotherapy and possibly chemotherapy.

Minogue's official website was temporarily shut down today, overloaded by fans visiting it to check her condition. Well-wishers dropped off messages of support at Minogue's family home in Melbourne on Wednesday.

"She's the strongest girl I've ever met and known," said David Woods, who has known Minogue since she was 13.

"I was just wishing her the best," said Woods after passing a gold-coloured envelope through the gates of the Minogue home.

"It's a little note saying 'I know you'll come through this'," he said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050518/325/fj27x.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good luck Kylie!

Pauro 76
19/05/2005, 11:52 AM
wishing Kylie all the best, im sure she's not reading this thread, but you really wouldnt wish this on anyone. Hope you pull through.

Babysis
19/05/2005, 11:57 AM
Its a nasty disease in any form. Not that you would want to get any cancer, but if your were going to get it, breast cancer has a much higher survival rate, compared with say lung cancer which has appalling survival rates. She has a family history of it, so they caught it early. I hope she will be ok.

Peadar
19/05/2005, 12:21 PM
They've announced today that it hasn't spread.
Hope she and anyone else in a similar situation will be ok.
A positive from this could be that it will help to raise awareness.

paul_oshea
19/05/2005, 12:33 PM
A positive from this could be that it will help to raise awareness.

yes exactly. not taking away from kylie at all at all, but their have been so many affected by this and im sure a few more on foot.ie, so at least if it gives publicity that in itself has to be just one positive to take from it.

Macy
19/05/2005, 12:37 PM
Not being funny, and I'll probably split this away into off topic, but surely breast cancer has one of the highest awareness levels of them all? There are many many different forms that get no where near the funding, research or publicity of breast cancer...

Babysis
19/05/2005, 12:40 PM
yes exactly. not taking away from kylie at all at all, but their have been so many affected by this and im sure a few more on foot.ie, so at least if it gives publicity that in itself has to be just one positive to take from it.

There are probably not too many people who can say they have not been affected by cancer in some way. Its always tough, be it friends or family, so yeah, anything that raises awareness is always good. Breast cancer has a high public profile, so more people are aware of it. However, someone like kylie only helps reinforce that cancer can affect anyone, no matter who you are or how much money you have. Other cancers and the risks need their awareness raised too.

Gerrit
21/05/2005, 12:19 AM
My grandma died from cancer, so did her daughter... I feel scared for my niece seriously when thinking of this. No males affected in the family so far, but still, you don't wish it to anyone and don't think in terms of "at least I'm safe" in these issues...

Genetics is a weird thing. Sometimes a disease skips generations and generations then to appear suddenly. Not just talking about things like cancer, also think epileptics, authism, ... About some illnesses there's not even certainty if it can be passed to further generations or not (thinking of mental ones mainly, like OCD -- research in this domain started later than for physical illnesses). Scary in some way, still medical science develops so fast it could as well be some of the mentionned diseases on these boards belong to history without a not that far away future.