PDA

View Full Version : Future back four?

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 11:33 AM
when i say future, probably more than likely the 2008 qualifying group. i know its a bit early to be predicting things for young paddy mccarthy but he seems to be creating waves at leicester so on that note, and assuming dunne can match his consistency of this year to next year:

kelly, dunne, mccarthy, finnan.

what does everyone think of that, assuming mccarthy keeps progressing at the rate of which he currently is i think this could be our best back four. Having said that i dont see any real leaders and dunne can play brilliant but still be unlucky/make silly mistakes.

aido_b
16/05/2005, 11:46 AM
Andy O Brien ?!?!?!

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 11:49 AM
no in fairness, its coming that he is going to muck up big time. and he reminds me of phil babb, without a leader/organiser he is useless. just look at newcastle for an example.

aido_b
16/05/2005, 11:52 AM
dunnes a bit of an organiser, i reckon o brien will be given a chance.

Only a matter of time before Stevie Kelly gets in, cant wait he's feckin class!

What about Shay Givens succesor? I reckon Wayne Henderson, currently with Villa, had some storming matches for Notts County during the season

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 11:54 AM
remember aido, given is only 28 or so, he will be playing for ireland for another 6 years at least assuming he remains injury free.

gustavo
16/05/2005, 12:05 PM
these games are only 15 months awayy i doubt kelly will have usurped both carr and finnan by then!

aido_b
16/05/2005, 12:10 PM
I reckon if Kelly has a good season next season then he'll get in ahead of Carr.

Ah yeah Given has a good few years ahead of him but it wouldn't do Kerr any harm if he brought in a younger understudy to Given.

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 12:15 PM
nah finnan will be accomodated. im not saying it will be, but their is every reason why it should be.

2 seasons under his belt, that is plenty enough giving his attacking capabillities, and its solid defensive workrate.

carnstien
16/05/2005, 12:42 PM
How is young McCarthy getting on at Leiceter, or however you spell that. Is he getting his game?

I've seen him play for the U-21's and he looked fantastic. Couldn't believe it when City let him go.

Roo69
16/05/2005, 12:46 PM
If young Paul McShane keeps progressing the way he is with United he won't be far off it either. He has had an absolutey outstanding season with the United reserves leading them to 4 trophys. I reckon he'll be breaking into the 1st team squad over the next season or 2, jesus he's no worse than Brown, Silvestre and O'Shea

Eirambler
16/05/2005, 1:12 PM
Still no natural left backs though.

With Carr, Finnan, O'Brien, Dunne, O'Shea, Kelly and possibly McCarthy and McShane we'll be well covered defensively in the other 3 positions.

Does anyone know of any good Irish left backs coming through?

aido_b
16/05/2005, 1:18 PM
No don't think we've anyone coming through for left - back. I've never really had a problem with John O Shea at left back to be honest. He has the pace and skill!

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 1:22 PM
He has the pace and skill!

at going forward but not at the defensive side of things, which is the most important. he also has the skill of looking awkward on the ball, like he is going to trip over it every so often.

Stuttgart88
16/05/2005, 2:02 PM
What about Shay Givens succesor? I reckon Wayne Henderson, currently with Villa, had some storming matches for Notts County during the season

Saul Deeney, another Irish underage international, has had a great season at Notts County. Darren Randolph at Charlton is very highly rated. But I'd expect Shay & Paddy Kenny to be our main two 'keepers for a good while yet. Maybe Stack will emerge from the pack, assuming he's acquitted in September.

tetsujin1979
16/05/2005, 3:25 PM
No don't think we've anyone coming through for left - back. I've never really had a problem with John O Shea at left back to be honest. He has the pace and skill!

Isn't Paddy McCarthy left footed?

Slash/ED
16/05/2005, 5:25 PM
dunnes a bit of an organiser, i reckon o brien will be given a chance.

Only a matter of time before Stevie Kelly gets in, cant wait he's feckin class!

He's always impressed me for our youth teams too, with some luck he could be an excellent keeper. I haven't given up on Joe Murphy either.

brine3
16/05/2005, 10:01 PM
There's an Irishman at Levante who claims to be a left back if anyone's interested.

Whatever happened to Paul Tierney?

FarBeag
16/05/2005, 11:37 PM
What about Clive Clarke at Stoke.

jimbob117
16/05/2005, 11:40 PM
What about Clive Clarke at Stoke.

what about him? he has been around a while, but hasnt done a whole lot in his career.

FarBeag
17/05/2005, 12:10 AM
He is the same age as John O'Shea, played at u21s for Ireland together.He was a good player.Not so sure now although he plays regulary for Stoke City and left footed.Just a thought.Maybe you know more about him?

Stuttgart88
17/05/2005, 7:41 AM
Clarke plays all the time for Stoke, sometimes midfield & sometimes left back. I think he's a really good player & he impressed in the Unity Cup (for what that's worth). I think he might even be their captain. He certainly was at some stage.

Tierney has been released by MUFC though I think he was in their reserve team that won the league recently.

FarBeag
17/05/2005, 10:09 AM
Is there a good reason then as to why he is not given the chance in the present squad.It's not that we are overloaded with left backs and surely he would be better than the right footers we have trying to fit into a left back position. Square pegs, round holes and all that.He does captain Stoke(obviously has leadership skills in this case) plays at lft back and sometimes midfield and is a good player.What other reasons does he need to have to be included.I could name a few that i would rather not have in. :confused:

jimbob117
17/05/2005, 6:12 PM
He is the same age as John O'Shea, played at u21s for Ireland together.He was a good player.Not so sure now although he plays regulary for Stoke City and left footed.Just a thought.Maybe you know more about him?

Didnt realise he was that young so i apologise. just thought he was around for a lot longer than o'shea. Like you say, we are short on cover and he cant be any worse than harte.

Eirambler
17/05/2005, 7:13 PM
Has Tierney got himself a club yet?

Did very well in League 1 with Crewe a few seasons ago, there was some interest from Crewe in him when he got released but I never heard if anything came of it or not.

SaucyJack
17/05/2005, 7:29 PM
well, Zat Knight, who hinted at declaring for Ireland, just got his wish and was named to the travelling England squad for the U.S., isn't he crap though?

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=277196&cpid=219&CLID=&lid=2&title=Knight+and+Richardson+called+up&channel=Football_Home

Slash/ED
17/05/2005, 7:31 PM
Yes he is, so thank christ for that.

Closed Account 2
19/05/2005, 2:35 AM
Be interesting to see how Kevin Foley (21 year old) does with Luton in the Championship this season, played well as a rightback in Jan. when I saw Tranmere at Luton, and seemed comfortable with either foot. Steve O'Leary (20 years old) might also been an option in the future for a holding midfielder, again at Luton.

The other club already confirmed as going up (Hull) have Damian Delany who could be a good prospect at left back for us. He's 24 so doesnt have too much time left, but was Hull's (overall) Player of the Year, Players' Player and the supporters' Player of the Year. Ben Burgess a 24 year old striker, who at 6ft 3 and over 14 stone could provide us with a decent target -man option. Also Jon Walters 22 year old played for us at u21 level, is another striker theyve got.

Hopefully these players will do well in the Championship and be in the reckoning for our squad.

eirebhoy
19/05/2005, 11:45 AM
Aye, Foley would have to be a right back though. :( He's young so will no doubt be in contention in a few years time when time takes its toll on Finnan and Carr.

tricky_colour
19/05/2005, 8:07 PM
http://www.lutonfc.com/playerprofile.asp?PlayerID=92

His (Foley's) profile on the Luton site is pretty good and in depth, worth a read. A lots of player clulb profiles a just a few lines!

It would have been nice to see him playing in the Championship next season
had Luton and Forest not swopped divisions :rolleyes: