PDA

View Full Version : Sad, sad day.

observer
16/05/2005, 9:02 AM
Now and again something happens which puts all of life in its proper perspective. The tragedy of Shane (Mousey) Brennan's death as a result of a misfortunate accident at the weekend, has left anyone associated with football in Longford in total shock. The Brennan family have been immersed in the development of under age football in Longford for many years and Shanes parents John Joe and Margaret are hughly popular throughout the area. His brother Stephen has played at underage level for Longford for many years and is a very promising footballer.
Shane was the same off the pitch as he was on it. Full of energy and fun, an immensly likeable lad who will be fondly remembered where ever he played.
It is a sign of his popularity that Stephen Kelly and almost the entire Athlone panel turned up at Mullingar Hospital on hearing of the accident. Former Longford Town manager Stephen Kenny drove straight from Derry late on Saturday night, on hearing the news. Stephen was very close to Shane and indeed the entire family.
Shane's organs have been donated and it is ironic that even after his passing he will continue to bring life to others in the same way as he did throughout his short lifetime.
The true level of the affection and esteem in which he and his family are held will be vividly displayed over the coming days as he is laid to rest.
The sympathy of the entire community is with John Joe, Margaret and Stephen for their immense loss. God be with them.

Ash
16/05/2005, 9:50 AM
RIP.

Our thoughts are with the Brennan family.

Can you PM me with detalis of the funeral whenever you know them please.

fosterdollar
16/05/2005, 9:56 AM
The news of this tragedy has yet to sink in fully. I don't think it will until i get home to longford. I can only imagine the intensity of feeling there at the moment. This will cut very deep into the community.
Your description of Shane is spot on Observer. Shane was a true friend, shown by the fact that months being out of contact with him were eradicated within minutes of a reunion where talk of Melview, St Mels, Teffia Harps fc, The HQ!! - all of these things and more - put us right back to where we left off. He had a genuine interest in people and had an inate ability to relate to others like no other. Thinking back, I remember Shane in fourth class lifting us all out of a terrible time when Ray Hewitt died at too young an age also. That was Shane all over. You could trust him and see the sincerity in his actions.
I really will miss you Shane. Realising that there won't be any more reunions in this life is a harsh blow to take. Things like this shouldn't happen to people like you and your family but we can't help that they do. We'll do our best to celebrate your short life and to honour the inspirational way you lived it. You were a great footballer but a greater man.

Xlex
16/05/2005, 10:32 AM
Condolences to the Brennan family and Shane's large circle of friends and collegues.

RIP Shane.

Pauro 76
16/05/2005, 10:49 AM
Only just heard about it, but an awful tragedy. Condolences to Shane's many friends and family and to everyone who knew him.

R.I.P.

Wiseguy
16/05/2005, 11:58 AM
This really is an awful tragedy as Mousey was a top guy who was always in a good mood no matter what.I extend my deepest condolences to all his family.

Macy
16/05/2005, 12:33 PM
RIP Mousey.

franz
16/05/2005, 1:31 PM
RIP Mousey
Respect to him and his family for using ther Doner Card, "The Gift of Life".

Nipper
16/05/2005, 2:51 PM
Very, very sorry to hear the news this morning.
I always found Shane to be an extremely friendly chap if I ever bumped into him here in Dublin, even though we didn't know each other very well. He'd always take the time to discuss the Town and how Ireland were doing, etc.

R.I.P.

Sonic
16/05/2005, 3:47 PM
R.I.P Shane

town73
16/05/2005, 8:38 PM
Rest in peace, Shane.

LTFC tributes (http://www.longfordtownfc.com)

Martinho II
16/05/2005, 9:18 PM
i am in a state of shock after hearing the sad news of his passing. shane was one of the first to have a chat with you and there was no airs and graces with him. an awful tragedy to happen to an unassuming thoughtful young chap.

we will miss you shane RIP

Maz
17/05/2005, 11:28 AM
Terrible tragedy of someone who had their whole life ahead of them.....Devastating. my condolences to John Joe, Margaret and Stephen.

R.I.P Shane!

Terry Phelan
17/05/2005, 12:13 PM
R.I.P Shane

soccerhead
17/05/2005, 1:10 PM
sad news.thoughts of the soccer community are with the family.was fortunate to meet Shane,he was a gentleman.His attitude towards people is something everyone should learn from.My personal condolences to his family and anyone who knew mousey.

Ash
18/05/2005, 10:13 AM
Hows the lads,
cant make it to Longford today for the funeral cos of work but I was
at the cathedral last night. Massive crowd and a tribute to one hell
of a nice guy.

Nice touch to see the Town, Town and GAA jeseys in the guard of honour.

fosterdollar
18/05/2005, 10:27 AM
Hey Ash,

Likewise on work. Either got time off today or yesterday. It was a fitting tribute at the cathedral last night. I couldn't think of many who didn't/couldn't make it, thank God. Two of the lads from Newtown flew home from Australia for it - says it all really. It was good to get home and say farewell to Shane and to get the craic going with the lads. Hadn't seen some since National School. It was amazing the amount of stories and memories that resurfaced.

As a card on one of the floral tributed remarked, the guy is a legend. End of.

Pauro 76
18/05/2005, 10:33 AM
Temping here in London and couldnt get the time off at such short notice, but it sounds like there was a great turnout for the removal which speaks volumes about Shane. R.I.P.

Dillo
20/05/2005, 9:56 PM
R.I.P Shane.