PDA

View Full Version : ireland shirts olnly

bluefan
15/05/2005, 11:34 PM
come june 4 IRELAND AT HOME CAN FANS PLEASE WEAR IRELAND SHIRTS ONLY . SHIRTS OF ENGLISH AND SCOTTISH CLUBS WHO PAY THEIR TAXES TO THE QUEENS GOVERMENT. ITS SIMPLE A BRITISH TEAM IS A BRITISH TEAM. AND TILL YOUR BLUE IN THE FACE YOU WONT AND CAN NEVER CHANGE THAT FACT. :D

Éanna
15/05/2005, 11:35 PM
much as I agree with you, can you TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK PLEASE!

GavinZac
16/05/2005, 8:47 AM
much as I agree with you, can you TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK PLEASE!

you can edit it ;)
i think you can safely change your sig' now too :)

barglee
16/05/2005, 11:43 AM
how bout people wear whatever they f*ckin want.

livehead1
16/05/2005, 1:59 PM
that reply coming from a person who obviously counts a self confessed scot as one of his heroes doesn't cut much....

ireland fans should wear irish shirts to ireland games, much in the same way that it pis*es me off seeing celtic shirts at ireland games they shud keep clear of united/liverpool shirts as well

onenilgameover
16/05/2005, 2:22 PM
I think it should be said that people shouldn't be forced to were an Ireland Jersey..(although Eircom and Umbro would be lovin that sentiment) I think people should wear green but wear what they want. Never understood the whole thing with Celtic and their Jerseys should be considered as every bit as foreign as the rest. Ye see alot of young kids wearing united Jerseys and like at games but thats cos they know no better and its all just football to them. The Cyprus match was great in terms of colour everyone seemed to be wearing green, I have a photo which is my favourite of all the photo's I have taken at matches which really shows that (will post it later)....The free stuff helped as well :) ...Some sort of effort like that should be made for the game on June 4th. The Isreali's looked fantastic in Israel we need to match them in Dublin. Also a point on Eircom League jerseys at games, I'm not sure whether I agree with that either. Of course they are better than any other club jersey but your supporting the national team and not the national league. I know and relate to the need to promote the league and our teams but I'm not sure while watching Ireland is the right time. Certainly to oppostion supporters its confusing and less impressive or threatening for everyone to be wearing different colours....

Éanna
16/05/2005, 2:25 PM
People can wear what they like, but anyone who wears a jersey that isn't irish looks utterly foolish to me

tiktok
16/05/2005, 2:28 PM
Once it's green, white and/or orange people can wear what they like.
I'd sooner the hoops on display were Rovers jerseys and the Solid green came from Ireland shirts or Cork city shirts though.

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 2:29 PM
I'd sooner the hoops on display were Rovers jerseys and the Solid green came from Ireland shirts or Cork city shirts though.

that makes no sense?( well to me at least!! :confused: )

carrickharp
16/05/2005, 2:35 PM
I wear my blue Harps jersey to any Ireland match I get to, the new Harps away jersey is green (unfortunately it is not on sale yet due to no sponsor :()

Babysis
16/05/2005, 2:42 PM
Why cant people wear whatever they want? Yep in an ideal world we would be able to do the same as Holland, but green obviously :) but its not gonna happen

But what does it matter. As long as people are at the game, singing and shouting and getting behind the team, why should it matter what shirt you wear, be it green, or even heaven forbid a suit :eek:

Just cos you wear a green ireland shirt, doent automatically get the fans behind the team - Well thats my view on it anyhow :D

Junior
16/05/2005, 2:43 PM
This thread is just another example of the type of Ireland fans going to games these days. feckin ridiculous people dictating what should and should not be worn at games.

On occasion I've worn Ireland tops, Celtic tops, or even no colours at all to Ireland matches. Im still the same fan attending the game however depending on which day you catch me I'll be 'ok' or a 'fool'.

The new age fan I suppose :rolleyes:

onenilgameover
16/05/2005, 2:53 PM
Wear what ye want Junior I'm not your mammy..I think this thread is discussing how as fans we can make more of an effort and as if you've been in LR recently you'ill know that effort is needed. No feckin biggy

blobbyblob
16/05/2005, 2:57 PM
A rose by any other name...

If ye want to go to a fashion contest im sure ye can get tickets from ticketmasters. If you want to support your country try shouting for them rather than moaning about what the lad two rows in front of you is wearing. Like a pack of women.

I'd take my hat off to anyone - suits, green jersey or no, or fupping commando as long as they make some noise and supoprt their country.

Cop the fup on.

Babysis
16/05/2005, 2:58 PM
Wear what ye want Junior I'm not your mammy..I think this thread is discussing how as fans we can make more of an effort and as if you've been in LR recently you'ill know that effort is needed. No feckin biggy

I think your right, i just dont think that trying tell people what to wear is the way round it. In saying that I dont know the answer. The Green cards worked a bit, with the Song words etc (my sisters idea you know :D )
But its all short lived.

Junior
16/05/2005, 3:11 PM

Im well aware of that and I shall continue to wear what I want thanks. I thought the thread was about wearing Ireland shirts to Ireland games - unless I've missed something?

Id say your post was no more directed at improving the atmoshpere at LR than it was at suggesting 'we don't want those pesky English/Scottish clubs merchandise on show at LR'.

Im not convinced everyone wearing Green will improve the atmosphere, its the type of individual who's their (ie. if they are the type to sing etc..) not what they are wearing IMO.

dcfc_1928
16/05/2005, 3:13 PM
Is a Derry City shirt alright?

;)

come june 4 IRELAND AT HOME CAN FANS PLEASE WEAR IRELAND SHIRTS ONLY . SHIRTS OF ENGLISH AND SCOTTISH CLUBS WHO PAY THEIR TAXES TO THE QUEENS GOVERMENT. ITS SIMPLE A BRITISH TEAM IS A BRITISH TEAM. AND TILL YOUR BLUE IN THE FACE YOU WONT AND CAN NEVER CHANGE THAT FACT. :D

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 3:23 PM
Wear what ye want Junior I'm not your mammy.

LOL

what about a castlerea celtic, its in the form of the celtic jersey but at least its an irish team?

i think ye should set up the "ireland only wearing jersey police at ireland games...and anyone else can fcek off" policing organisation to monitor all those people not wearing ireland jerseys going into LR.

onenilgameover
16/05/2005, 3:27 PM
Im well aware of that and I shall continue to wear what I want thanks. I thought the thread was about wearing Ireland shirts to Ireland games - unless I've missed something?

Id say your post was no more directed at improving the atmoshpere at LR than it was at suggesting 'we don't want those pesky English/Scottish clubs merchandise on show at LR'.

Im not convinced everyone wearing Green will improve the atmosphere, its the type of individual who's their (ie. if they are the type to sing etc..) not what they are wearing IMO.

Wasn't my thread to start but thats what I got from it however badly it was put ''taxes to the queen'' and all that lark, not really bothered by that crap. Personally I think green is better and does create a better atmosphere cos I've witnessed it v Holland 2001 v Cyprus 2004 v France 2004. All days were the Unity of colour was remembered and remarked upon by many. However you make a good point in terms of the Noise v Colour argument. I'd take noise over colour any day but that not what the thread is about...

Éanna
16/05/2005, 3:32 PM
of course people can wear what they like, but foreign jerseys just look stupid IMO. and the fools that wear them are more to be pitied than scorned IMO

Junior
16/05/2005, 3:34 PM
fairy nuff.

Agree colour can be effective. The 'Orange' of Holland looks great (most notably in Anfield 95). But this looking down our noses at people wearing something thats not the replica strip is ridiculous.

As you say - its the noise thats all important.

onenilgameover
16/05/2005, 3:54 PM
You've picked me up wrongly I'm not looking down me nose and in fact I said people shouldn't have to wear an Ireland Jersey replica or otherwise as the owner of this thread implied, thats ridiculous. And I don't think its the noise thats all important, its more important...for sure...but its the whole package.....colour goes with noise and Vice Versa. ....

NeilMcD
16/05/2005, 4:31 PM
I think we are all agreed that if we make as much noise as possible that it will benefit the team. When we visited Paris lots of people brought their jerseys with them and lots of people wore greeen and shouted their lungs off. Ther eis not doubt that going away from home on a trip puts everybody in holiday mode. Therefore they bring lots of colour and drink lots. Its hard for week day matches in LR, to compete with that as people are coming straight from work etc. However I think the Israel game could be a huge night as it will be a saturday evening, I cant remember the last time we played on a sat night at this time. I think what that will do will mean that lots of people will be in holiday mode as its a Bank HOliday weekend. I will be there with my dad the two of us will have a few pints in us and we will be there in our green, and flags etc. I am confident that we are going to get a good response from the crowd.

onenilgameover
16/05/2005, 6:15 PM
Heres my nice picture taken at the Ireland v Cyprus match were we all wore Green, got on very well and didn't need to create crazy groups and splinter groups.

Green Tribe
16/05/2005, 6:38 PM
Heres my nice picture taken at the Ireland v Cyprus match were we all wore Green, got on very well and didn't need to create crazy groups and splinter groups.

nice on! Like the way the flag was captured! :D

tiktok
16/05/2005, 6:43 PM
that makes no sense?( well to me at least!! :confused: )

What I meant was that I've no problem people wearing what they want, but I'd prefer if everybody wore green and I'd prefer if more of the people at games were wearing Irish club shirts rather than foriegn club shirts.

Doesn't really bother me though

Green Tribe
16/05/2005, 6:51 PM
What I meant was that I've no problem people wearing what they want, but I'd prefer if everybody wore green and I'd prefer if more of the people at games were wearing Irish club shirts rather than foriegn club shirts.

Doesn't really bother me though

Fair point.....

paul_oshea
16/05/2005, 7:06 PM
aye well said.

FarBeag
16/05/2005, 8:39 PM
I think we should all wear Green. They don't have to be an expensive eircom shirt just anything that is green(not Celtic shirts)This is our colour and it's not as though we have to wear it every day of the week,four to five times a year on average and that is it.What other country wear any other colour apart from that of their national team.I dont see a Manu or any other club top at an England game for example.It looks good and with a bit of loud cheering it makes for a superb atmosphere.I am sick of trying to explain to people of/ visiting the host nation country when they ask me who is playing Ireland or Celtic.

Green Tribe
16/05/2005, 8:54 PM
lots of big flags look great, but yeah plenty of atmosphere and colour :D

rodoman
16/05/2005, 10:55 PM
Have to say bluefan has a point, I was in Amstrerdam for the game against the Dutch last June, and when I saw the sea of orange gotta say very impressive

Hibs4Ever
17/05/2005, 7:06 AM
Go bare-chested...... :rolleyes: or wear the Hoops ....be they of the Celtic,Shams,Lisbon or whatever variety.Who cares.............. :o

What so special about hoops??? :confused:

GavinZac
17/05/2005, 8:32 AM
What so special about hoops??? :confused:

pearse, connolly, emmett and tone were all wearing hoops when they died for their country.

or was that just an Éire Óg song?

sylvo
17/05/2005, 10:02 AM
LOL

what about a castlerea celtic, its in the form of the celtic jersey but at least its an irish team?

i think ye should set up the "ireland only wearing jersey police at ireland games...and anyone else can fcek off" policing organisation to monitor all those people not wearing ireland jerseys going into LR.

Why not Paul, we have people in the crowd who get upset when a goal is scored and people jump up to celabrate, so a fashion police in the crowd would not be a bad idea. ;)

roboyle
19/05/2005, 3:31 PM
I always wear green, have the flag and scarf too... never going to buy an Irish jersey though cos if the Eircom logo isn't on the shirt Damien Duff is wearing, it's shouldn't be on mine either!

jjppc
19/05/2005, 6:57 PM
What if its raining, I've got a green duffel coat, but my umbrellas black. Would this be o.k ?

sylvo
19/05/2005, 7:01 PM
What if its raining, I've got a green duffel coat, but my umbrellas black. Would this be o.k ?

Sorry sir, your not dressed right, your not coming in.

jjppc
19/05/2005, 7:23 PM
Sorry sir, your not dressed right, your not coming in.
Im sorry, I didn't realise there was a dress-code I'll be off home to change, would you mind keeping my place

boysingreen
19/05/2005, 8:45 PM
Thumbs up on the Celtic jerseys here. You could wear a Notre Dame basketball jersey for all I care. So long as it's green, a dash of white is nice too. If it has a green or Irish touch, a bit of variety adds rather than takes away from things. If every single person had their green home strip on it'd be pretty monotonous.

boysingreen
19/05/2005, 8:54 PM
Part of what I'm saying is, I think it's cool to see someone that visually fits in with the crowd, but if you examined what they were wearing it might be a different sport, team (obviously not our opponents), or whatever. In all likelihood they just don't have the regular strip, but they improvised, found something that worked, and stylistically added to the atmosphere in their own creative way. Why would anyone look down on that? Pity them? Please. :cool: . Nobody try and spin it that I'm suggesting nobody wear the real strip, a lot of people will of course, and that's what we want. But the bit of creativity helps color things, it doesn't detract from them.

If somebody wears, say, a Limerick GAA jersey to an Ireland match- they're not there to watch hurling, you know damn well they're there to support the Irish team. The same is true of a Celtic jersey whether the begrudgers care to admit it or not (leave May 29th alone). You know damn well what their intentions are, and what they will do. We know it, our opponents know it, everyone knows it. Nobody thinks they got lost on the way to Parkhead. Come off of it. Keep the wearin' of the green. On to Germany.

Junior
20/05/2005, 8:41 AM
Part of what I'm saying is, I think it's cool to see someone that visually fits in with the crowd, but if you examined what they were wearing it might be a different sport, team (obviously not our opponents), or whatever. In all likelihood they just don't have the regular strip, but they improvised, found something that worked, and stylistically added to the atmosphere in their own creative way. Why would anyone look down on that? Pity them? Please. :cool: . Nobody try and spin it that I'm suggesting nobody wear the real strip, a lot of people will of course, and that's what we want. But the bit of creativity helps color things, it doesn't detract from them.

If somebody wears, say, a Limerick GAA jersey to an Ireland match- they're not there to watch hurling, you know damn well they're there to support the Irish team. The same is true of a Celtic jersey whether the begrudgers care to admit it or not (leave May 29th alone). You know damn well what their intentions are, and what they will do. We know it, our opponents know it, everyone knows it. Nobody thinks they got lost on the way to Parkhead. Come off of it. Keep the wearin' of the green. On to Germany.

Great post.

In seville for the uefa cup final, Celtic fans were wearing the hoops, Betis tops, Ireland tops, GAA tops, That Mexican side that wear Green & White, St. Pauli tops etc..etc..etc... and not a fashion cop in sight!!

Stuttgart88
20/05/2005, 9:11 AM
Going to Amsterdam 4 years ago I went into central London to buy an Ireland top but there were none available. I ended up buying a Panathanaikos jersey - all green and with a shamrock for the crest. I thought this was a decent substitute. The alternative was Nigeria!

sylvo
20/05/2005, 9:12 AM
Im sorry, I didn't realise there was a dress-code I'll be off home to change, would you mind keeping my place

No probs i'll keep your place, better you find out now rather than run the risk of running into the Lansdowne fashion Garda. ;)

Peadar
20/05/2005, 9:20 AM
all green and with a shamrock for the crest.

I think you'll find that's clover. ;)

Junior
20/05/2005, 9:54 AM
Taken from the Guardian

In 1918 Panathinaikos chose the shamrock - or trifylli as it's known in Greece - as their emblem on the suggestion of Mihalis Papazoglou, an athlete from Constantinople who played for Chalkidona, and Chalkidona had the same symbol. The idea was accepted by Panathinaikos's council and confirmed as the team's official badge.

As for the colour of the kit, again there's no overtly Irish connection. Green being the colour of the trifylli no doubt had something to do with it, but the choice of kit seems to be partly a practical one too. Until green became the team's official colour, most players turned up and played in different coloured outfits.

Peadar
20/05/2005, 9:58 AM
In 1918 Panathinaikos chose the shamrock - or trifylli as it's known in Greece - as their emblem

But didn't I read that it was to do with the fact that they used to play on shamrock or clover, rather than grass?

shamrock - or trifylli as it's known in Greece

By the way, Trifylli means three leaf so it's more a reference to clover in general that just shamrock.

Shamrock, as we know it, tends to have more rounded leaves.

Like the Shamrock Rovers crest, Panathinaikos use clover.

rednwhitearmy
20/05/2005, 11:46 PM
well if you dont buy replica jerseys but you wear other offical items namely a polo t/shirt with the fai badge and eircom on the collar but in the colours of white navy and a thin green line or a plain navy t/shirt with badges and sponsers logo but if you look at nearly all the offical items that the players wear it is nearly all white or navy not a lot of green is made so do we blame umbro for doing other colours..also not everybody like to wear replica .

bluefan
21/05/2005, 3:54 AM
i agree with the seagull from bray wearing a bray shirt to lr is fine, hello to my old friend from winchmore hill london syl, up kildare county :D

sylvo
21/05/2005, 1:13 PM
i agree with the seagull from bray wearing a bray shirt to lr is fine, hello to my old friend from winchmore hill london syl, up kildare county :D

Bluefan, hows da form. :D