PDA

View Full Version : Glenview Stars

Petmuller
15/05/2005, 9:05 PM
Went over to McSharry Park today to watch the Connacht Cup Final between Glenview Stars and Mervue United. There was no less than five ex-Rovers playing for Glenview and a good crowd was in attendance, nearly as many as was at the Kildare game last night. Looking around there was a good mixture of supporters, some Rovers diehards as well as some that haven't graced the showgrounds in years. The game itself was a good lively affair, end to end stuff and the 4-1 scoreline for me wasn't a true reflection on the game. The Stars had their fair share of opportunities and had they taken them then there would have been a total different outlook to the game. But alas they didn't and Mervue did take theirs which resulted in them taking the trophy back to Galway. I'd like to say congrats to both sets of players for serving up a good entertaining game of football, I have left the showgrounds manys a time in recent years and I'd have been only to glad to have been entertained in such a manner. Congrats to Mervue on winning the cup and to the Stars, hold the heads up lads ye did Sligo proud.
There was a programme for todays game and I was pleasently surprised with the quality and quantity. It's amazing what can be done when the effort is put in and today the effort was certainly there for all to witness. Well done to all concerned.
One sad note that struck me today and it was the fact that Rovers played an U21 match simultaneously to the game in McSharry Park. It does nothing for the poor relations that exists between both the senior and junior bodies that are Rovers and the Sligo/Leitrim leagues. Surely the U21's game could have had a later kick-off time as a token good will gesture towards the junior body and more so the team from the home of soccer in Sligo. Sligo Rovers have the potential to be one of the biggest clubs in the country but with decisions like todays to play a game in direct opposition to junior football then that potential will never be realised.