PDA

View Full Version : Kildare County 2-2 Sligo Rovers

sligoman
14/05/2005, 8:29 PM
Mc Tiernan and a Low free-kick. Next week will be a crucial game against Dublin City. Nice to see Mc T get on the score sheet since coming back

nephin
14/05/2005, 8:34 PM
Any idea what the line up was?
Good to see Mct scoring alright. Lets hope its the start of many for him.

Da Real Rover
14/05/2005, 11:00 PM
I heard his goal was a real cracker.

redrov2005
14/05/2005, 11:47 PM
Happy enough with the result and the Rovers goals were absolutely brilliant.

There was a TV camera there so it should be on TV 3 on Monday night.

McTiernan’s was a brilliant volley from the edge of the area and Low’s free was from about 25 yards out.The keeper hadn’t a chance as the ball just flew in. Super goal.

But Rovers didn’t play well. I don’t know what’s wrong,but we are missing something.

O’Hara in goal was as reliable as ever. Philip Gallagher was very shakey and uncertain.

Conor O’Grady had a poor game and Foley just didn’t get into it. I think Faz is getting more and more frustrated as each game passes. Low and Burns were class.

Sean Flannery tried and McTiernan took his goal brilliantly.

Dermot Keely was there so he'll be happy because everyone else around them has drawn this weekend. given that Low scored with a great free against Dub City at Tolka i reckon Keely will have his player's warned next week not to foul in and around the area. We could exploit that !

Bobby Brown the Malahide manager was also there !

We lined out O’Hara,Gallagher,Burns,Carr and Low.

Raf,Foley,O’Grady and Faz with Flannery and McTiernan up front.

Steve Feeney replaced Foley with about 20 minutes to go and Alvarez came on for McTiernan with about 12 minutes left.

franco
15/05/2005, 6:06 AM
oharas brother here. on the way home from america for a couple of weeks. looking forward to see how rovers are playing. should be a top class game in the showgrounds. i support rovers from america no reason why the people of sligo shouldnt come out and support the bit o red in sligo.

Rory H
15/05/2005, 12:02 PM
its just not good enough though....

i assume dublin will win today....damn pat scully is hot but he isnt good enough....

thats 5 points behind the top spot.....if we[a realistic possibility] lose to dublin next week its 8 and we are drifting away.....

2nd looks a more realistic option and i would grab it with my three hands if it was offered[it being 2nd place and an extra hand...]

rovers harps for a place in the prem...mmm

anyway it might just be between the three of us...cobh dublin are good teams but home wins against both....we could be looking at top....

if we lose well its only halfway....we can still do it....crucial time though...exciting time

we want the shed back

sligoman
15/05/2005, 1:36 PM
Kildare County top scorer Sean Francis bagged his third goal of the season on the hour mark to help the Thoroughbreds to a point against high-flying Sligo Rovers at Station Road on Saturday night.

Kildare had taken the lead through Barry O’Connor early on but goals from Paul McTiernan and Kupono Low had put the visitors in command before Francis’s equaliser, which prevented Sligo from joining Dublin City and Cobh Ramblers at the top of the table.

O’Connor’s opening goal after 13 minutes was created by Alan Byrne’s through-ball, and the former Drogheda United and Bray Wanderers star stroked the ball past John O’Hara in the visitors’ goal.

Sligo were level within 10 minutes, striker McTiernan netting his first goal since returning to the westerners’ cause in recent weeks.

Hawaiian Low, who had played a part in McTiernan’s goal, stroked home a free kick from outside the area to put Sligo ahead eight minutes into the second half, but Francis goaled after a scramble soon after to ensure the spoils were shared.

Sligo Rovers: O’Hara, Gallagher, Low, Burns, Carr, O’Grady, Cretaro, Foley, Kudozovic, Flannery, McTiernan.

Kildare County: R. Byrne, O’Brien, P. Byrne, Kenny, Clarke, Cousins, A. Byrne, Cooney, Zellor, O’Connor, Francis.

Referee: A. O’Regan (Cork).

madjack
15/05/2005, 1:57 PM
its just not good enough though....

i assume dublin will win today....damn pat scully is hot but he isnt good enough....

thats 5 points behind the top spot.....if we[a realistic possibility] lose to dublin next week its 8 and we are drifting away.....

2nd looks a more realistic option and i would grab it with my three hands if it was offered[it being 2nd place and an extra hand...]

rovers harps for a place in the prem...mmm

anyway it might just be between the three of us...cobh dublin are good teams but home wins against both....we could be looking at top....

if we lose well its only halfway....we can still do it....crucial time though...exciting time

we want the shed back

what about young Brummie Cottrill, will he be starting soon I wonder? Might give us the edge and turn some of those away draws into wins... ;)

1 9 2 8
15/05/2005, 4:41 PM
Two great goals for Rovers. Paul Mc Tiernan's will be goal of the season. I thought Low's celebration was the funniest one I've ever seen. A draw was a good result

Petmuller
15/05/2005, 5:04 PM
Two brilliant goals, McTiernan's was world class, yet we still only managed to take a point away from station road. Going there I felt a draw would have been a good result but as the game developed we were by far the better outfit. We have to be able to kill off teams such as Kildare when we have them on the rack. Still a point's a point I suppose. Some under par performers last night though and this is a worry. I have defended Philip Gallagher here before but after last night I too now think it's time for change. He was very poor and I'd put him down for the second Kildare's goal, he should have cleared the ball when he got the chance. Other players that under-performed were; Conor O' Grady, Ciaran Foley, Liam Burns (who I'd blame for their secon goal). I felt John O' Hara, though he had a good game between the sticks and pulled off a brilliant save near the end, could be more positive when he's in possession of the ball. Many times last night we hade our two wide players, Faz and Ralf, screaming at him for the ball and yet he just seemed to wait until Kildare were reorganised before he decided to loft the ball. Quick thinking can lead to goal chances too so I think this is an area where the coaching staff should work with our netminder. Kupono Low had a wonderful game and his goal was unbelieveable. He just seemed to check the positioning of their keeper prior taking the free, a screamer into the bootom left-hand corner, the keeper's right. He then went on a mad celebration dance, never witnessed before. He ran to the corner flag whipped off his jersey and hung it on the flag pole, did a little jig before lifting the 'flag' and waved it round to the delight of the Rovers fans and players alike. Of course the referee had no option to book him for removing his jersey. We were flying at this stage and I thought we'd go on to win the game but for some very bad defending we would. Now it's back to the showgrounds and a mouthwatering game against tabletoppers Dublin City. Dermot Keely was at the game and he told me as he left that he's got a lot to think about before next week's game. Dermo's a lovely guy and has great time for the bit o red, he thinks we'll pust his team all the way this season. I hope so, I really hope so.

redrov2005
15/05/2005, 8:19 PM
From the FAI Website
=================

Spectacular goals highlight drawn match in Kildare

Kildare County 2 — 2 Sligo Rovers
Barry O’Connor 13 mins, Paul McTiernan 23.

Sean Francis 59. Lupono Low 52.

Kildare and Sligo had to settle for a share of the spoils in a game graced by three terrific goals at Station Road.

The sides swapped goals inside ten minutes of an entertaining first half.

County drew first blood with a well-worked strike on 13 minutes.

Alan Byrne picked out Barry O’Connor who turned sweetly to shoot into the bottom corner.

But an exquisite strike from Paul McTiernan had Sligo level with ten minutes.

Ger O’Brien’s poor headed clearance from a Lupono Low throw dropped for McTiernan whose first time volley flew into the net with keeper Robbie Byrne rooted to the spot.

Rovers went in front from a stunning free-kick by Hawaiian Lupono Low on 52 minutes.

But County levelled seven minutes later when Sean Francis stabbed home following an Andy Cousins’ cross.

Da Real Rover
15/05/2005, 9:43 PM
Lows celebration sounds like when Asprilla scored for newcastle and hoisted his jersey on top of the corner flag.

Redzer
16/05/2005, 11:12 AM
Two absolute moments of brilliance saved us on Sat evening. Poor defending gave away the first goal. Barry O’Conner turned well with two defenders marking him to score the first for Kildare. McTiernan's volley was the best goal I’ve seen for a long time. Low’s free kick was another cracker. Poor marking and failing to clear the ball led to the second. McNamara was a great loss.
I thought we were poor throughout. Our midfield was nowhere to be seen. Long balls up front was the order of the day, very disappointing. Kildare in spells played some very good football, and we struggled to create chances. I thought Kildare would be most disappointed with the result, as they were the better team. We were hanging on at the end. O'Hara again saving our blushes with some brillient saves.