PDA

View Full Version : Time to sort it out.

Xlex
13/05/2005, 10:11 PM
I'm not going into sack Matthews or so and so is only a whatdoyacallit.

Realistically speaking this is the best squad Longford Town will probably ever have. I know that time evolves and perhaps one day a revolution in wages will occur and we will have an even talented squad but I believe that this small club is getting very little in return on it's investiment. The only players I cannot critise is those that have not been playing but it is time for something to happen, No sackings, no fairwells just sit down like men and talk this out. Then train like men and play like men. No other way will do.

Results matter, and the future of Longford Town F.C. matters so for the sake of all that balances on the performances of 11 men in the red and black let's get back to winning ways.

De Town
13/05/2005, 10:50 PM
Agree with everything you said there Xlex.

Wasnt at the game tonight but I heard we were as bad as we were in recent matches, and thats terrible :(

Xlex
14/05/2005, 1:23 AM
just to add, I wasn't at the game either, thus the generalisation of my post.

I can only persume that the type of charactor I spoke about was Deano, he the only one who is standing up to the challenge.

Maz
14/05/2005, 7:18 AM
Well Lads ye missed nothing...... Another Terrible game and result from Town! It was an ok performance in the 1st half with Town having at least 3 great goal scoring chances but shots were too weak and never troubled the keeper. After that they just fell asleep, didnt want to know.

Goals were stupid mistakes. Digger has to take the blame for some of what went on last night and we had lucky escapes also. Goals by Jimmy Aggrey and Stephen Ward gave bohs their 2-0 win over us last night. BTW, no way did Barry foul him for that free kick, that was a disgraceful decision!

Man of the match was definately Fergal Harkin, he ripped us apart.

Best for the Town was Alan Kirby imo, Barry Ferguson was o.k, his control at times was brutal (nothing new) but he did make some good clearances. Nightmare game for the rest really.

the 12 th man
14/05/2005, 12:02 PM
there is no doubt that the sum of the parts does not equal the individuals in the team and we are getting into very familiar "start of the season" type performances/mentality.

the game last night was a good example.2 gilt edged chances inside 17 mins and we fluffed them both.

we seem to be able to create good chances but our players seem to be lacking the confidence thats needed to finish off the moves correctly.

i'd say a confident andy myler would have netted that sitter comfortably but because of the goal drought he feels the pressure and headed wide from inside 5yds with the goal yawning at him.

i d'ont know the solution but as xlex suggested there is some important team talks ahead.

btw,i d'ont think its a case of the team not caring,its just not happening for them at the moment but with our continued support they/we will get through this.

Maz
14/05/2005, 12:08 PM
Thats all well and good but we need to be honest with ourselves here.........this goal drought is goin on now for almost 3 seasons.....out from Dessie Baker last season our main goal scorers are defenders or midfielders!! This is not a recent Problem!!

Bosco
14/05/2005, 1:40 PM
First half was good but I dont think there is any point in picking out positives,we are not getting results full stop and something needs to be done NOW.The biggest problem is I cant pick out exactly what we are doing wrong,things just aren't going our way.Something needs to be done about goals,this is not new,we've been struggling with goals for the last 3 seasons now.

Martinho II
14/05/2005, 2:32 PM
I was never so demorlaised at dalymount last night. We were excellent in the first twenty minutes but we let boez back into it. Why Barrett and Myler did not score I never know?

Second half BOhs dominated midfield through Hunt and Farrelly. Harkin was having a stormer and tbh Foley dived big time for the free that lead to the goal. But why noone reacted when Hunts shot hit the post I will never know.

As for Davy Byrne he ruined a good first half performance in the fatal error in being dispossessed outside his own half. That was unforgivable. There was no leadership on the pitch and a lack of acknowledgement towards the away supoort near the end . That muppet Baker just gave us a dirty stare as they trudged off the pitch.

There was a away support of around 100 people but if we continue like this both our home and away support will dwindle like mad.

For f.e.c.k.s. sake Matthews sort it out or else! My patience is wearing thin!

Libero
14/05/2005, 4:20 PM
I was at your match last night...sat in among you and supported you and all!
I've seen Longford a few times this season and clearly you are having to do far too much work to make chances. I thought last night was a carbon copy of the Linfield performance.

Sonic
14/05/2005, 6:09 PM
I was at your match last night...sat in among you and supported you and all!
I've seen Longford a few times this season and clearly you are having to do far too much work to make chances. I thought last night was a carbon copy of the Linfield performance.

Good man libero it takes an athlone fan to educate them about the supply of ball.Its pathetic.Cop on goes on about how the supply of ball is wonderful. is that why we average about 1 or 2 really good chances a game. The supply is dier,The tactics are dier and until they change the results will be dier. ;) :ball:For the life of me I cannot see the sense in lumping big high balls into small strikers.Matthews has to COP ON!!!!!!His tactics are deplorable and his team selections leave alot to be desired.Time For Change

Maz
15/05/2005, 11:45 AM
We make it hard for ourselves. for one, there was a few times Boez took 3 passes and had the ball in our box making chances for themselves. When we play football like that we get as far as midfield before its passed back to a defender and 9 times outa 10 it goes back to digger.....

Sonic
19/05/2005, 12:24 PM
I never said the supply was wonderful.

We do, however, create NUMEROUS chances in some games - and fail to take them. Take the Rovers game in Dayler. We should have been two or three up at half time. We created at least six or seven clear chances in that game. We only took two of them, for what seemed like a brilliant win (Should have been much, much better.) Same against Bray. Created loads of chances but only took two. Created chances in Ballybofey and took none of them. I could go on and on. For the last time - WE NEED A DECENT STRIKER.

Ah for gods sake Cop on i am giving out about the games that we dont win stop complaining about the results that do go our way or else there is not much to augar confidence

Macy
19/05/2005, 12:48 PM
Ah for gods sake Cop on i am giving out about the games that we dont win stop complaining about the results that do go our way or else there is not much to augar confidence
Yeah Cop On, ignore the games that don't suit his arguement. Play fair Cop On ffs...

Ronnie
19/05/2005, 2:33 PM
Sonic, our problems in front of goal are seen just as well when we win - only converting a small number of chances, so when we play a game with only a few chances, Bohs on Friday, and don't take them we get punished. The better teams give few chances away so you must take them when they arise, Bohs, Drogs, Glentoran away are all good examples.