PDA

View Full Version : Barthez out of Ireland France Match

stickyjoe
13/05/2005, 9:46 AM
From BBC

Marseille's ex-Manchester United keeper Fabien Barthez has had his ban for spitting extended until 31 December.
He had been banned for six months with three suspended but the French Football Federation appealed against its own discplinary commission's decision.

"The appeal committeee handed Fabien Barthez a suspension until December 2005," the FFF said on their website.

The sanction would be cut to 15 October if Barthez agreed to do community work, the statement said.

The February game between Marseille and Wydad Casablanca was stopped after the incident.

The initial punishment was rubber-stamped on 22 April.

blobbyblob
13/05/2005, 9:56 AM
Thats a pity - we could have done with him

eirebhoy
13/05/2005, 10:45 AM
WTF where they a appealling for? He was banned for a few matches and they had to go and appeal. We could have done with him. :mad:

GK for the Town
13/05/2005, 1:40 PM
Is it a domestic ban ??, if so he could be available to play for Country. They could pick him for experience.

Stuttgart88
13/05/2005, 1:42 PM
He's actually been in good form for the French this campaign though, hasn't he? I hear he was at fault in Israel but he saved their bacon in Cyprus.

Green Tribe
13/05/2005, 2:42 PM
Yesssssssssss! That's more like it, teach the brat a lesson. He doesn't make as many ****-ups as in the past, so maybe it is good he is out.... :D

eirebhoy
13/05/2005, 3:28 PM
You know what you'll get with Coupet though. He's a regular in the CL and has won the French league a load of times. Barthez could easily have been sent off against us in Paris and even though he's one of the best shot stoppers, I'd prefer him in goal than Coupet.

roboyle
13/05/2005, 9:57 PM
Definitely one of France's better performers against us in Paris... thing is, it's always a situation like this that a young/up and coming international needs to make the most of so his replacement will be aiming to impress...

4tothefloor
13/05/2005, 11:54 PM
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. There's nothing better in my opinion than having an inexperienced international 'keeper in goal for a big game. If Coupet's in, the defense won't be used to be playing with him so that's always a good thing. Barthez is an experienced 'keeper who delivers in the big games, I'd rather he wasn't in goal.

Colie
14/05/2005, 8:57 AM
Thats a pity - we could have done with him
I concur