PDA

View Full Version : FAI Intermediate Cup Final

drummerboy
13/05/2005, 8:34 AM
FAI Inter Cup preview
Thu 12 May 2005

Rockmount and Wayside Celtic look for Hat trick in FAI Carlsberg Intermediate Cup Final on Sunday

Rockmount, the holders, and Wayside Celtic will each be bidding to win the Pat O'Brien Cup for the third time when they face each other in the FAI Carlsberg Intermediate Cup Final at Turners Cross on Sunday, Kick Off 2.30pm.

This will be Rockmount's third final in a row. Having lost to Belgrove in the 2003 decider, the Munster Senior League side made amends last year when they beat Bluebell Utd with a Ross O'Callaghan goal at Richmond Park. Their earlier success was in the 1999 Final.

Wayside Celtic will be making their fourth appearance in the Final on Sunday. The Leinster Senior League side last tasted Intermediate Cup success in 2001 adding to their first success in 2001.

On their way to Sunday's final Rockmount scored 20 goals and only conceded two with last year's Cup Final hero Ross O'Callaghan chipping in with five goals, however Amateur International, Ruairi Beechinor, brought his tally to four with two goals in the semi final win over Belgrove.

Many were surprised when they made their exit from this year's FAI Carlsberg Senior Cup in the first round after reaching the quarter finals of the competition last year.

On the other hand Wayside Celtic are safely through to the second round of the Senior Cup where they will face Cobh Ramblers.

They scored 12 goals on their way to Sunday's Final chiefly through Gary Smith and FAI Amateur Player of the Year Award winner, Ian O'Callaghan. They had to fight hard to beat Douglas Hall 2 – 1 in the Semi- final.

Respective Managers, Billy Cronin, Rockmount and Peter Lennon, Wayside Celtic, report a clean bill of health in their squads. With both sides brimming with cup, league and International experience Sunday's game should be a very exciting affair for the local Cork fans and the many who intend to make the trip from Dublin.

The game will be referred by 27 year old Graham Kelly, a product of the FAI's School of Excellence for Young Referees and brother of eircom League Referee, Alan, a current member of the FIFA Referees Panel.

The winners of the FAI Carlsberg Intermediate Cup Final will be presented with the Pat O'Brien Cup which honours the late former President of the Football Association of Ireland.

Rockmount: Derek Slattery, Patrick Cassidy, John Busteed, Kieran O'Mahony, Willie Byrne, Alan Weldon, Ken Hoey, Ross O'Callaghan, Pat Keane (C) Darren Doyle, Stephen Hurley, Michael Deasy, Ruairi Beechinor, Jonathan Coker, Damian Martin, Pat Oldham, Jack Ryan, Tim Kelly.

Manger: Billy Cronin

Wayside Celtic: Robbie Dowd, Conor Barcoe, Ken Simpson, Alan Sharkey, Damien O'Neill, Stevo Martin, David Gill, Wayne Callaghan, Paddy Kavanagh, George Webb, Cian Hyland, John O'Neill, Jordan Dunne, Choi Thain, Ian Callaghan (C), Gary Smith, Alan McHugh, Glen Smith.

Manager: Peter Lennon

amarach
13/05/2005, 12:26 PM
Can't wait for it :D , we've got t-shirt's made up with the Rockmount crest on them, we had the jersey's but they've seen better day's lol

So Wayside BRING IT ON :p

sligoman
15/05/2005, 3:27 PM
FAI CARLSBERG INTERMEDIATE CUP FINAL

Rockmount 0-0 Wayside Celtic Result

Ruairi
15/05/2005, 5:34 PM
a good game, rockmount had enough chances to clinch it, willie byrne hit the bar andmicheal deasy missed a one on one in injury time.. the replay should be interesting, hopefully rockmount can pick it up for the replay..

Rebal Boy
15/05/2005, 7:43 PM
I was at it too. Good enough crowd there. I felt Rockmount should of won it in the last 20mins. Hopfully they can do the job up in Dublin next week and keep the Cup in Cork where it belongs. Best of luck to them.

Clifford
15/05/2005, 11:46 PM
Cracking day out in the sun, the Mount did more than enough to win it, but both sides very evenly matched.

Alan Weldon had Callaghan in his pocket all game long and will need to that also next week. Rock solid at the back as usual and when breached Slatts pulled off an incredible save, and spun to keep out the rebound also. Wayside tired and Mount should certainly have converted one of the chances created. Willie hit bar, had one cleared off the line, Deasy one on one and keeper made an amazing save.

We live to fight another day and yet again I have to express utter admiration to Rockmount in their quest to keep this cup in Cork. Roll on Sunday in either Bray or UCD grounds.

drummerboy
16/05/2005, 11:57 AM
Wasn’t there but heard it wasn't much of a spectacle despite the good crowd.

Aberdonian Stu
16/05/2005, 1:23 PM
Any confirmation on the venue yet? Will probably head in to support Kilternan's finest if it's in Belfield.

Clifford
16/05/2005, 2:32 PM
Wasn’t there but heard it wasn't much of a spectacle despite the good crowd.

Suppose what people look for is different in this game we love so much, it was a superb defensive display by both teams, both sides international strikers were kept quiet by the respective defenders on either side, both keepers were extremely competent and both made exceptional saves. So if you were looking for thrill a minute attacking vs bad defending then it was not for you (ie neutrals), but if you wanted a cracking battle between two very evenly matched sides then you were rewarded (hardcore fans of both sides).

Must say Wayside brought a nice few down, made great noise when they won throws, couldn't be heard during the last ten mins.....

Superhoops
17/05/2005, 7:10 AM
Any confirmation on the venue yet? Will probably head in to support Kilternan's finest if it's in Belfield.
In the Carlisle on Sunday next, 2pm KO.

Clifford
18/05/2005, 9:44 PM
In the Carlisle on Sunday next, 2pm KO.

The Mount will be travelling to the Carlilse Grounds in great hope of getting a result. It will be incredibly difficult against a very tough side with some great players. Let's hope the game is as good as last week and both sides will be able to get full strength out. I heard some say that the Celtic or Manure games will affect some players. Anyone else hear it?

Clifford
22/05/2005, 9:54 PM
Just in from very enjoyable trip to the Carlilse Grounds, Bray, we lost the final, but both teams played the game in such good spirits that it was a shame one team had to lose. Wayside did a Rockmount to Rockmount, got the goal and were able to defend manfullly on the back of the goal. Mount should have been 2 up by the time the goal went in, but hey ho, such is life.

Superb crowd, cracking venue and a little disappointment in not performing to the best of our ability, maybe that's where the hats off to Wayside come in. Fair play to them, nice set of fans, we had great craic.

The Mount will be back next year going for the 4 finals in a row and hopefully win number 2 of the 4. C'est la vie. Well done Wayside.

drummerboy
23/05/2005, 8:46 AM
Congratulations to Wayside and hard luck to a gallant Rockmount team. Its a huge task to win back to back Intermediate Cups but Rockmount almost pulled it off.

Stevo Da Gull
23/05/2005, 9:25 AM
Very enjoyable day out with some very decent quality football on show. Congratulations to Wayside, it was a close game but they just done enough.
Well worth the admission fee,and I'll watch more football at this level if the opportunity arises.The sandard was as good as most of what you get in EL Div 1, but it was competed with a better spirit and all which made it a better occasion.

Clifford
23/05/2005, 9:59 AM
Very enjoyable day out with some very decent quality football on show. Congratulations to Wayside, it was a close game but they just done enough.
Well worth the admission fee,and I'll watch more football at this level if the opportunity arises.The sandard was as good as most of what you get in EL Div 1, but it was competed with a better spirit and all which made it a better occasion.

I've always said that Intermediate cup is on a par with Div 1, from Rockmounts point of view most have played in it with various clubs and I'm sure most Dub clubs would have plenty LOI experience as well. Avondale put up a great show against Cork City the other day and they are Prem high flyers allegedly...so the gap is small and I wish all the clubs in the Senior cup all the best, as Rockmount showed last year the lg clubs can be rattled.

I went in the covered section yesterday, were you in the rain sodden seats or in the stand? Great set up you lads have, the pitch is among the best I've seen. My mate with the season ticket said Friday was eventful off the pitch...

Stevo Da Gull
27/05/2005, 7:31 PM
I went in the covered section yesterday, were you in the rain sodden seats or in the stand? Great set up you lads have, the pitch is among the best I've seen. My mate with the season ticket said Friday was eventful off the pitch...

I was behind the goal, luckily I had a hood to keep me a little dry. Hopefully we can continue our developments and eventually the place will look smashin, the pitch's surface is perfect for quick passing football (even if Bray don't often opt for that style ;) )
Dont get me started about events off the pitch last week :rolleyes: , I think I'll just look forward ;) .