PDA

View Full Version : Alan Kelly

mouldymurphy
04/03/2002, 2:16 PM
Alan Kelly is soaking up the sun in Dubai on doctors orders!! The Republic of Ireland netminder is recovering from a knee injury he picked up on International duty in the pre match preparations for the friendly with Russia.

He’s been receiving intensive physiotherapy on the injury rather than have keyhole surgery which was an option he considered.

Speaking exclusively to Soccercentral from the gulf state he said: ”The doctors advised me to get away from it all for a week and let nature take it’s course.

"I’ve had treatment on the knee for the last five days at Blackburn and it’s been slow to heal. The club doctor felt that a few days away taking it easy would help with the healing process. I need to get fit as soon as possible with the World Cup finals looming I need to be in tip top shape to be part of Mick McCarthy’s squad.”

His recent bad luck continued when he arrived in Dubai; “We got off the plane and it was raining.One of the locals was telling me it was the first rain they’d had in over a year. He said that it was a sign of good luck as it was so rare that it rains in the region.”

Kelly is confident that the unorthodox holiday will pay dividends; “I didn’t fancy having surgery when letting it heal naturally was a more attractive option for me. If things go well I’ll return refreshed in time for Korea and Japan so I’ve got that in my sights.

"If I’m fit Mick’s already indicated I’ll be in the final squad of 23 so that’s a massive vote of confidence for me."

"I would have played against the Russians had the knee not flared up. It was unfortunate as well because I would have been on the bench for Blackburn Rovers for the Worthington Cup final win over Spurs, it would have been nice to get a medal even if I’d just sat it out.”

Kelly returns to England next Saturday and is confident he’ll resume training within the next fortnight and hopes to be playing again by the end of the month.