PDA

View Full Version : Belgrove Rumours

The benchwarmer
12/05/2005, 9:40 AM
Has anyone heard (especially Drummerboy) the rumours that Belgrove are actively looking for a new manager?

Story goes that a few ex LOI have been spotted at the their last 5 - 6 games with a certain ex Dublin City manager (Mr Gill ) being the most noticeable.

Could be rubbish but have heard from various sources?

drummerboy
12/05/2005, 10:04 AM
Interviews have being taking place this week. Quite a few candadites are in the hat for this prestigious job. Have heard that Giller, Liam Reilly (ex Bangor), Rocky O’Brien are just some of the candidates.

Lots of jobs going on North siide at the moment in LSL, reckon Tolka, Glebe North, Mochtas and Drums are all in the market for new managers. Though I have heard that Drums are about to make an anouncement.

The benchwarmer
12/05/2005, 10:16 AM
Interviews? Is it that official - the players ( a few of mates play there ) haven't heard anything yet. Is Tony Doyle stepping down or being given the bullet??

Liam Reilly is only recently in the Terenure CYM job but he is Peter Flood's ( Belgrove Asst. Mgr) best mate so their could be a link there!

Who would your money be on? I would have thought that Gillers style of football would be a bit too direct considering the style of football that Belgrove are associated with and also the squad they have wouldn't be the most physical in the world.

There were rumours last season that Gerry Smith may be the man but I'd be very surprised if he was to give up his FAI position!

drummerboy
12/05/2005, 10:26 AM
As far as I know Tony Doyle is stepping down, and may be on his way to UCD to give Pete Mahon a digout.

Smith is a non runner, although his assistant could be part of a “management team”.

To be honest, I'd only be guessing, but if I had to pick one, I'd say Rocky.

The benchwarmer
12/05/2005, 10:33 AM
Interesting, you seem to very well informed. Would this the same assistant who departed your beloved club earlier in the season?

I heard that he turned down a coaching postion with Belgrove in pre season of last year. He is a decent training ground coach but his management skills are questionable imho. Although the same could be said for Gerry's other assistant who is at St Pats!!

drummerboy
12/05/2005, 11:08 AM
Don't think thats a goer unless Belgrove are interested in Noel Synnott who is reported to be leaving Ballymun at season's end.

What are your views on Drums new manager Jonathan Prizeman??

The benchwarmer
12/05/2005, 11:27 AM
We'll have to wait and see, whoever takes over at Belgrove will be under a lot of pressure to deliver silverware next season. Although they will inherit a talented but inexperienced (given their ages) squad, I think it will need to supplemented by a few more experienced players with some physical prowess as I have seen them bullied by too many teams this year.

As for Johnny P taking over as the gaffer at Drums, no one can question his pedigree as a player but there may be one or two questions over his loyalty ( in the last few years he seems to be only interested in the $$$$$ -4 or 5 clubs in 2 and a bit seasons is a bit excessive) and also his temprement on the pitch ( if he continues to play ) and on the sideline might turn one or two refs against them..

On the plus side, he may well be able to attract a good calibre of player to the club maybe one or two of LOI cronies, who knows??

drummerboy
12/05/2005, 11:35 AM
Well I wish Jonathan the best of luck. And I wish Belgove the very best of luck also. Seen them play a few times this season. They play good football but are, as you say, a little lightweight. It will be a very pressurised job up in Whitehall, finishing 2nd next season will be deemed a failure. Hopefully they can go on a win the league for the northside.

The benchwarmer
12/05/2005, 11:44 AM
I agree with you on both counts. Good luck to all - I think all football fans would like to see a stong Drums team making their way back up the leagues.

In general I think Northside football needs a boost, league positions in most of the intermediate leagues have not been very flattering.

Although credit is due to Malahide for their cup runs!

drummerboy
12/05/2005, 11:51 AM
Great draw for them in Sligo. Ossie and Griffin may cause them a few problems. Your point on clubs on the northside is very true. Clubs like Whitehall, Home Farm, Fairview, Aer Lingus, Triity all really struggling. The AUL is very strong on this side of the city but players who have come from the AUL to LSL don't seem to have the same dedication.

As regards Drumcondra, the cup run last season meant training throughout the summer. This had a toll as the season wore on, players losing enthusiasm, losts of injuries and generally burnt out. The majority of the squad will be their next season, plus whatever the new manager brings in, so here's hoping.

BTW have Belgrove got an U-21 team this season?

The benchwarmer
12/05/2005, 12:22 PM
Malahide have a great frontline alright - just hope Skelly keeps himself on the pitch long enough to do some damage. Great to see Wayen G being selected for the Amateur squad - seemed to come out of the blue.

Involvment in the FAI cup certainly prolongs the season for the intermediate teams involved and speaking from experience most teams struggle the following season, especially those with limited squads.

Mick Hayes will be working his wonders once again this summer with the U 21's - I believe recruitment to his merry little army is in full swing at the moment!

drummerboy
12/05/2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah we had an ex-Belgrove U-21 last season, Steffan Ruddle. Good young player, off now on a 4 year scholarship to Kentucky with another of our lads. Bit of a loss.

amarach
12/05/2005, 12:46 PM
What happened to the Belgrove website??

Do they get paid to play??

drummerboy
12/05/2005, 12:49 PM
No, they are one of the few clubs in the top LSL that don't usually pay. They play in Home Farm’s ground in Whitehall, excellent facility. Belgrove are probably the richest club in Ireland having sold their own ground for a reported €8million about 5 years ago.

amarach
12/05/2005, 12:54 PM
Ya I've been to their ground sure didn't we play them in the Intermediate cup lol.......Darren Meade told me about 2 years back that he gets paid from the club lying fecker :rolleyes:

I remember they had a website it was good enough too, seems to have disappeard :confused:

The benchwarmer
12/05/2005, 1:32 PM
Not sure what happened to the website, probably died a death..

In relation to the paying of players, I am sure the same rumour applies to every successful LSL club (or Intermediate Club for that matter) that denies paying people to play. Everyone seems to know someone ( or knows someone who knows someone ) who says they are getting paid. It is an imotive agrument at the end of the day as people believe what they want to believe. Me personally, I don't believe Belgrove are paying players and if it was discovered that some players were being paid and others not, it was cause huge turmoil within the dressing room.

Belgrove apparently have been given the green light to begin redevlopment of their training ground behind St Pauls School in Raheny which will include a new first team pitch and top training facilities and club house. Will prob be the start of the 07/08 season before it's ready though.

amarach
12/05/2005, 1:46 PM
Sounds like it will be a fine Stadium it'd wanna be for all the money they recieved a few years back

marketsfield
12/05/2005, 6:06 PM
i have to say i watched a few matchs in dublin the standered is gone.
at all levels

amarach
13/05/2005, 1:27 PM
Ya I know, Cork is taking over now :D

drummerboy
13/05/2005, 1:40 PM
Ya I know, Cork is taking over now :D

You wish. Fourth division LSL team knock out mighty Rockmount, lol

amarach
13/05/2005, 2:25 PM
Mighty Rockmount were missing players and wanted a break this summer, getting to the quarter finals last year was great mmmm let me think nope there wasn't any msl teams left in it at that stage.......ehhh whose in the final of the intermediate cup 3 years running :confused: answer me that ;)