PDA

View Full Version : Stephen McGuinness signs from Pats

James
03/06/2001, 2:23 PM
Former St Pats captain Stephen McGuinness has signed for Dundalk. McGuinness had won 2 league titles and a league cup with Pats

james

James
04/06/2001, 3:11 PM
ORIELWEB HAVE SCANDALOUSLY PRINTED AN INCORRECT NEWS STORY ON STEVO!

Stephen McGuinness has blasted the above report and claimed he has agreed nothing as of yet. McGuinness has claimed that he has not met Martin Murray and there are now growing doubts from some quarters that the Dundalk club will be able to provide the personal terms for signing the out of contract McGuinness. McGuinness, 27, at the prime of his career would command a hefty up-front signing on fee from any club that had the resources to secure his services. It remains to be seen if Dundalk have the money up front to match the player's requirements, although it has to be said that Murray is confident of finalising the deal which would represent a significant boost to the promoted Lilywhites. The Dundalk club are on a very stict budget, learning the lessons of their previous financial disaster. Gates at Oriel dip as low as 900 and are unlikely to be helped this season by the club's insistence on playing home games on Thursday nights. Their are fears that Murray's determination to sign McGuinness at any cost may prove reckless for the newly promoted club. Pats appear resigned to losing the defender and offered a poor deal, probably in the knowledge that they would not be able to compete with the lucrative signing on-fee that would be available for an out of contract player of McGuinness' calibre. The player has promised to talk to Pat Dolan before making any final decision although this is expected to be a mere formality at this stage. McGuinness admitted that he had regrets leaving the club and he praised the Pats fans. It is likely that Pats fans, though disappointed to see him leave for a rival Premier club will accord him the same respect reserved for club great Eddie Gormley who left the Saints for Bray Wanderers. Gormley received standing ovations from the Pats fans at subsequent league meetings with Bray. McGuinness while not in Gormley's class was a respected figure at Pat's and will always receive a warm welcome.........however if he scores against us he knows he can expect the Paul Byrne/Trevor Molloy Treatment!

Story from Eircomleague.net:

Stephen McGuinness has hit back at reports that he has signed for Dundalk. "I am due to meet [Martin Murray] during the middle of this week but that is as far as things have gone," he said.
In an exclusive interview with eircom League Online, the 27-year-old defender claimed that he was still a St Patrick's Athletic player and that nothing had been decided about a move to Dundalk.

It had been reported that the move had been more or less completed, but Dundalk boss Martin Murray admitted yesterday that the "formalities have yet to be concluded", and the player himself was eager to stress this.

"All this talk is a little premature as I haven't yet signed for Dundalk. I have spoke to Martin but nothing has been signed sealed and delivered yet," said the Dubliner.

"I am due to meet him during the middle of this week but that is as far as things have gone. I don't know where people have got the idea that I have signed, as I promised Pat Dolan that I would speak to him first before I made any decision and as yet I haven't been able to contact him but I hope to today."

McGuinness spent four very enjoyable years at Richmond Park, where he won two League titles, and became one of the best defenders in the League.

It is no surprise, then, that he still wants to stay with St Pat's. But the former Home Farm defender admits that he feels very let down by the contract offered by the club.

"It's true that I was bitterly disappointed with the contract the club offered me," he confessed, "and that is the only reason that I have opened talks with other clubs.

"Pat explained the reasons why he offered the terms, which are slightly less than I am currently on, and I fully understand his position.

"But he also knows my stance and I hope he respects my decision as much as I respect his. This will be the biggest decision I have made as a footballer as my friends and family are all big Pat's supporters and have enjoyed the good and bad times.

"The biggest loss of the lot will be the Pat's supporters, who are second to none in this country - both home and away - and I hope the coming season brings them the success they deserve and the success they crave."

Daniel McD
04/06/2001, 8:20 PM
With all due respect ... James, the first half of that message, which I don't think is think written by you, no offence, is the biggest load of garbage I have ever read in my life !!!!

The deal within McGuinness is well within our budget, we are not on a strict budget, we have £100,000 to spend on the team this year for Gods sakes !!

I dunno where you got it from, but that is completely made up nonsense

McGuinness is unhappy the story has broke, because he hasn't talked to Dolan yet and doesn't want to upset him, but he has signed for us, if not on the dotted line, he has agreed to. That will prove true during the week. I heard it from two members of the board who both heard it from the chairman

You make 900 sound bad, but no team in Division One in recent years has had a higher average attendance, so that is complete garbage as well, trying to use it as a stick to beat the club up with as well.

James
04/06/2001, 8:33 PM
your right was copying a posting from elsewhere on this site and left out the scource of the piece.
your right i did not write it and accept your version as you are alot closer to goings on in dundalk than i am ( thankfully :rolleyes: )

james

Neil
21/06/2001, 10:43 PM
After about 6 weeks of negotiations, I believe Steve McGuinness has finally put pen to paper and signed for Dundalk.