PDA

View Full Version : Penal Rosary

liam88
11/05/2005, 8:08 PM
Has anybody else got one?
I have a really nice one from S. Colemans Cathedral-currently on my shrine to John Paul the Great-will be bringing it to my exams next week.
Very Irish-Green beads with raised Shamrocks on and a Celtic Crucifix :)

jofyisgod
12/05/2005, 5:01 PM
Penal rosary-is that something to do with a penis?! ;) :D Sorry...

Couldn't resist! Never heard of it tbh Liam. What is it for/ when used?

razor
12/05/2005, 7:51 PM
think he means rosary beads

GavinZac
12/05/2005, 8:43 PM
think he means rosary beads

rosary beads you use for saying penance

liam88
12/05/2005, 9:31 PM
Special type of Rosary used during Penal law when Catholicism was outlawed.....nothing to do with the penis.

One strand of beads with a thumb ring at one end and the crucifix at the other. Thought i'd post about it because I didn't really know about them before.

Peadar
13/05/2005, 1:23 PM
Looks like they're going to make your mate a saint, Liam.

Pope Benedict XVI said today he had opened the process for the sainthood of Pope John Paul II.

Taken from BreakingNews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/05/13/story202341.html)

hamish
13/05/2005, 1:31 PM
Special type of Rosary used during Penal law when Catholicism was outlawed.....nothing to do with the penis.

One strand of beads with a thumb ring at one end and the crucifix at the other. Thought i'd post about it because I didn't really know about them before.

Really admire your strong faith liam88. Reckon a stint reading replies to my posts is penance with the kicking I get - usually from Corky Boys! Pure purgatory. Say a prayer for me will ya, not messin' :)

liam88
13/05/2005, 10:02 PM
Really admire your strong faith liam88. Reckon a stint reading replies to my posts is penance with the kicking I get - usually from Corky Boys! Pure purgatory. Say a prayer for me will ya, not messin' :)
:) Fair juice buddy-will remember you in ma prayers tonight-Peader; there is nothing i'd like more than to be in Rome for the beatification of Pope John Paul the Great!

liam88
13/05/2005, 10:05 PM
Penal Rosary (http://www.rosaryworks.com/images/S4SH1PS.JPG)
Usually have a Celtic crucifix as they were made in Ireland-often have Green beads. Nice and small so useful for carrying and saying a quick prayer-designed to Prey in secret :)

hamish
17/05/2005, 5:27 PM
You juts put something in what's left of my mind liam88 - I saw Muslims praying using what look like beads - wonder is there any connection with Christianity/Rosary there????

Green Tribe
17/05/2005, 5:48 PM
You juts put something in what's left of my mind liam88 - I saw Muslims praying using what look like beads - wonder is there any connection with Christianity/Rosary there????

I have seen those bead things that Muslims use to pray with as well. That Penal Rosary is lovely Liam, never seen one before, class!

Troy.McClure
17/05/2005, 6:08 PM
I saw Muslims praying using what look like beads - wonder is there any connection with Christianity/Rosary there????

Dont know if they are connected, but its the same idea. Hindu's also have them.

hamish
17/05/2005, 6:53 PM
Dont know if they are connected, but its the same idea. Hindu's also have them.
Hey Troy did you ever send that hilarious photo to Private Eye like I suggested??
Thanks for the data on the beads.

Pauro 76
17/05/2005, 6:54 PM
have to say Liam, fair play for standing up for your beliefs.... :)

hamish
18/05/2005, 11:28 AM
Great to see liam88 getting good vibes.

liam88, enjoy the compliments because the slaggin' aint far behind, Take it from me!!! :eek:

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 11:31 AM
i had a scapler for years and years, got it in knock, this old man gave it to me, was extremely decent of him, made a point of having it with me everywhere. but then once it felll off and i lost it :eek: :(

hamish
18/05/2005, 11:35 AM
:D That explains yer heathen behaviour then??? Don't go near crosses either POS!! :p :D

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 11:36 AM
no i dont know what it really explains other than maybe im a dope?

hamish
18/05/2005, 11:41 AM
Nah, POS, a dope you most certainly aint - I know, I've suffered yer quality slaggin'. Heathen? , well, YES. Welcome to the club. :D

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 12:59 PM
sirham i.e. sham
well if i or anyone else has kept ye entertained isnt that something in itself? if it helps you along your road then im happy with that!! :) even if dont do any work!!

hamish
18/05/2005, 1:17 PM
Sham? Ya pup. Actually sham is a word used in these parts a lot. In B'sloe we say "Howya, Sham". We prounce it something like as in om, if ya follow. In Tuam, they also say sham but prounce it rhyming with ham. That make sense?
another local one is "hag". When one woman meets another it's "Howya Hag"
None of the above are meant as derogatory. :o :D

paul_oshea
18/05/2005, 1:26 PM
and when they meet you they say howaya fag?

there is also another one for a good looking perosn of the opposite sex but i cant remember.

back on topic, has anyone else had a scapler, and liam how long have you had the penal rosary and where did you get it from??

hamish
18/05/2005, 1:30 PM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea]and when they meet you they say howaya fag?

Bloody cheek! I'll have you know that all my friends are ewes..oh siht, I meant, hos!! :D

Jeez, we've really destroyed poor liam88's thread. :o