PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v New Zealand - Dublin - 14th November 2019 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3

backstothewall
16/10/2019, 12:48 AM
Much to address in this game.

I doubt too many will dispute that Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan & Stevens all start against Denmark. There may be another defender in there if we play a back 3 again, but either way I'd expect those 5 to be watching on from the stand for the New Zealand game. Clark has got back in at Newcastle so perhaps a good opportunity to bring him back in. Possibly do the same with Brady or left back, or take the chance to cap Ryan Manning.

We need an alternative to Whelan. He's still the best we have in that role an will play v Denmark. I reckon we maybe use this friendly to give Lenihan a full 90 minutes there. The rest of the midfield is a mess. The calls for Byrne to get a chance should be heeded in this one. He does deserve an opportunity.

I liked the work O'Dowda did tonight and as it stand I would be all for playing him against Denmark. I'd play him in this as well. The same applies to Robinson on the other flank. That left seems to be his best position so I'd give him a run there.

And up front I think the last few games exposed Collins. He's no alternative to McGoldrick and isn't ever likely to be. On the basis of that and how well Idah has done for the U21s I'd give him a senior cap in this. It would be great for his development i think. .

----------- Travers ----------
Christie Long Clark Manning
----------- Lenihan ----------
------- Browne Byrne -------
O'Dowda ---------- Robinson
------------- Idah ------------

When i look at that team I think it exposes the lack of strength in depth in our squad. But that won't change until we starting giving the young lads a chance to force their way in.

The Fly
16/10/2019, 1:08 AM
I'd love it if the Crowley and Johansson cases could be sorted in our favour by that time.

backstothewall
16/10/2019, 1:14 AM
I'd love it if the Crowley and Johansson cases could be sorted in our favour by that time.

That would be fantastic but it seems unlikely at the pace these things usually tend to move.

backstothewall
29/10/2019, 1:53 PM
So. Does Parrott start v NZ? I would really love to see him start alongside Connolly. It would be a real statement of intent.

pineapple stu
29/10/2019, 1:55 PM
I think starting him and Connolly is a bit much. I think you need to have a core of the national team there to give value to blooding new players.

But then I thought the team v Bulgaria was a bit much too.

Closed Account
29/10/2019, 1:55 PM
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/manning-earns-first-ireland-call-up-for-new-zealand-and-denmark-squads
Provisional Ireland squad v New Zealand and Denmark
Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool).
Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolves), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), John Egan (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Kevin Long (Burnley), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Ryan Manning (QPR), Nathan Collins (Stoke City)
Midfielders: Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Glenn Whelan (Hearts), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McClean (Stoke City), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers)
Forwards: Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Aidan O’Brien (Millwall), Kieran Sadlier (Doncaster Rovers), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), Shane Long (Southampton), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa)

DeLorean
29/10/2019, 1:56 PM
So. Does Parrott start v NZ?

The way Mick is talking, I'd be surprised if he doesn't. It seems like he wants to take a proper look at him.

backstothewall
29/10/2019, 2:02 PM
I think starting him and Connolly is a bit much. I think you need to have a core of the national team there to give value to blooding new players.

But then I thought the team v Bulgaria was a bit much too.

Some of it depends if Randolph makes it.if he doesn't I'd be starting with the back 5/6 that will be facing Denmark. That might allow room for experimentation further forward.

Something like...

-‐---------------- Westwood ----------------
Doherty -- Duffy -- Egan -- Stevens
------ Byrne Lenihan Hourihane -----
----- O'Dowda Parrott Connolly -----

seanfhear
29/10/2019, 2:05 PM
So. Does Parrott start v NZ? I would really love to see him start alongside Connolly. It would be a real statement of intent.
Parrott can do with games of senior football . Ireland have the chance to do that . Why not give him a game ?

backstothewall
29/10/2019, 2:14 PM
The way Mick is talking, I'd be surprised if he doesn't. It seems like he wants to take a proper look at him.

This is the Mick I remember from last time. Everyone remembers that he threw Robbie Keane and Duffer in, but there were others. David Connolly, Keith O'Neill, Mark Kennedy etc

DeLorean
29/10/2019, 2:22 PM

Are you completely ruling out the possibility that both could start against Denmark, if things go well for Parrott (in particular) against NZ? It'd be interesting to know what way Mick is thinking on this.

pineapple stu
29/10/2019, 2:26 PM
Personally, there's no way I'd start both. It's too important a game for two teenagers with 281 minutes of senior league action between them. I know we're not blessed with options up front at the moment, but I still think that to start both would give us a big hill to climb in a game we must win.

DeLorean
29/10/2019, 2:32 PM
Personally, there's no way I'd start both. It's too important a game for two teenagers with 281 minutes of senior league action between them. I know we're not blessed with options up front at the moment, but I still think that to start both would give us a big hill to climb in a game we must win.

I think it's highly unlikely too but I'd be very disappointed if Connolly didn't start against Denmark at this stage. So that just begs the question - where does Parrott fit in? Is he having a look with a view to possibly using him in the potential playoffs, or to come on against Denmark if required? Obviously a lot will probably depend on how Parrott fares against NZ, I'm just curious as to the way Mick might be thinking.

pineapple stu
29/10/2019, 2:37 PM
I don't see a problem with a half apiece for Connolly/Parrott against NZ.

tetsujin1979
29/10/2019, 2:47 PM
game is the same day as the U21s face Armenia away in the U21 qualifiers, little disappointed that Connolly and Parrott more than likely will not be involved in that, but it gives an opportunity to Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi, etc, to impress in the qualifier

Diggs246
29/10/2019, 3:28 PM
I think it's highly unlikely too but I'd be very disappointed if Connolly didn't start against Denmark at this stage. So that just begs the question - where does Parrott fit in? Is he having a look with a view to possibly using him in the potential playoffs, or to come on against Denmark if required? Obviously a lot will probably depend on how Parrott fares against NZ, I'm just curious as to the way Mick might be thinking.

He would replace McGoldrick I guess, with 20 mins to go

third policeman
29/10/2019, 4:52 PM
He would replace McGoldrick I guess, with 20 mins to go

According to the press article today Pochetino see Parrot as a replacement for Eriksen not an alternative to Kane. Maybe he can impact a game and score goals playing in a deeper number 10 or midfield role. He is a technically gifted player and still only 17. We shouldn't be pigeonholing him too early. (I can feel some dreadful bird puns brewing a la Connor Sammon)

seanfhear
29/10/2019, 5:25 PM
According to the press article today Pochetino see Parrot as a replacement for Eriksen not an alternative to Kane. Maybe he can impact a game and score goals playing in a deeper number 10 or midfield role. He is a technically gifted player and still only 17. We shouldn't be pigeonholing him too early. (I can feel some dreadful bird puns brewing a la Connor Sammon)
I hope he can make that perch his own .

Olé Olé
29/10/2019, 6:57 PM

Y'know, it's a particularly difficult one for Parrott. He has such an ability to score goals that managers will be prone to playing him at 9. But he could have skills, at senior level, that lend him more to being a 10. For now, whilst he is ripping it up scoring goals in the under 21 internationals and youth UEFA competitions then it is hard to resist playing him further forward.

However, Harry Kane is probably also capable of playing at both 9 and 10 but he's very capable of leading the line so ends up at 9. Can Parrott develop that in senior football? Maybe he can but he's in an awkward position for now.

nigel-harps1954
29/10/2019, 7:13 PM
game is the same day as the U21s face Armenia away in the U21 qualifiers, little disappointed that Connolly and Parrott more than likely will not be involved in that, but it gives an opportunity to Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi, etc, to impress in the qualifier

Won't Parrott be suspended for the Armenia game after being sent off against Italy?

DeLorean
29/10/2019, 7:22 PM
Won't Parrott be suspended for the Armenia game after being sent off against Italy?

D'oh! Totally forgot that too.

liamoo11
29/10/2019, 7:28 PM
Y'know, it's a particularly difficult one for Parrott. He has such an ability to score goals that managers will be prone to playing him at 9. But he could have skills, at senior level, that lend him more to being a 10. For now, whilst he is ripping it up scoring goals in the under 21 internationals and youth UEFA competitions then it is hard to resist playing him further forward.

However, Harry Kane is probably also capable of playing at both 9 and 10 but he's very capable of leading the line so ends up at 9. Can Parrott develop that in senior football? Maybe he can but he's in an awkward position for now.

Great experience for parrott to play as a 10 what a player to be learning off in eriksen. I dont think kane has the technique and mobility to play at 10.

tetsujin1979
29/10/2019, 8:29 PM

No, he served the suspension by missing the Iceland game

Diggs246
29/10/2019, 9:48 PM
That red should have been appealed anyway

tetsujin1979
29/10/2019, 10:48 PM
That red should have been appealed anyway

Think you can only appeal straight reds, you can't appeal two yellows

Diggs246
29/10/2019, 10:57 PM
Think you can only appeal straight reds, you can't appeal two yellows
Fair enough. I actually thought it was a straight red.

Diggs246
29/10/2019, 11:02 PM
Jason molumby should be called up and played. McCarthy should have learned from mot playing parrot and Connolly against Bulgaria. The reality is if we qualify we have three competitive games left to play. Why not give him and cullen game time against NZ. A half each?

SkStu
30/10/2019, 3:03 AM

Kingdom
30/10/2019, 12:53 PM
Beautiful Stu. If POTM existed still, I'd nominate you.

mark12345
01/11/2019, 10:45 AM
Jason molumby should be called up and played. McCarthy should have learned from mot playing parrot and Connolly against Bulgaria. The reality is if we qualify we have three competitive games left to play. Why not give him and cullen game time against NZ. A half each?

Please God don't let Parrott or Molumby or any other 21's be brought into this excuse for a senior team. Taking Connolly is bad enough. Let these young lads remain with the 21's and develop the understanding they have of how to play proper football

tetsujin1979
11/11/2019, 1:13 PM
Press conference live on the FAI's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/videos/live/m/redirect/420958558595910/?refid=52&_rdr

tetsujin1979
13/11/2019, 10:26 AM
Confirmed this morning - Parrott, Byrne, and O'Connor will all start tomorrow against New Zealand

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 12:18 PM
Mick then as good as confrimed that they wont be involved against Denmark, which is poor management. Just say maybe Mick and then see what you have on your hands
We were absolutely hopeless in the last two game, a change on plan against Denmark is almost certainly going to be needed

jbyrne
13/11/2019, 1:11 PM
Mick then as good as confrimed that they wont be involved against Denmark, which is poor management. Just say maybe Mick and then see what you have on your hands

not true..

He was asked if a starring show from Parrott - who did some training ground work with assistant coach Keane yesterday - would present him with a dilemma.

"I hope he scores two goals and then I will deal with it," he said. "It's hypothetical isn't it, I don't really talk hypothetically. Let's hope he does it, gets the goals and plays really well. If he scores two goals, I might have a clamour in my own head to include him as well."

tommy_c12000
13/11/2019, 1:14 PM
Suddenly this friendly is a lot more appealing. A good performance will do both O’C and Parrott no harm at club level as well. And great opportunity for Jack Byrne as well. Looking forward to tomorrow

Olé Olé
13/11/2019, 1:51 PM
Suddenly this friendly is a lot more appealing. A good performance will do both O’C and Parrott no harm at club level as well. And great opportunity for Jack Byrne as well. Looking forward to tomorrow

Great point. It would be nice to see international football providing a platform going forward at club level for these guys in particular.

Fixer82
13/11/2019, 2:09 PM
I just can’t see Jack Byrne starting against Denmark, even if he sets up four goals and scores two.

I think McCarthy is never going to drop Hendrick or Hourihane in favour of Byrne.

I’d love him to start against Denmark though.

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 2:50 PM
not true..

He was asked if a starring show from Parrott - who did some training ground work with assistant coach Keane yesterday - would present him with a dilemma.

"I hope he scores two goals and then I will deal with it," he said. "It's hypothetical isn't it, I don't really talk hypothetically. Let's hope he does it, gets the goals and plays really well. If he scores two goals, I might have a clamour in my own head to include him as well."

That was only when he was pushed on the issue. He clearly said they wont start any if then and they wont be brought on.... he back tracked a little bit later but I think he was clear

Olé Olé
13/11/2019, 3:10 PM
I just can’t see Jack Byrne starting against Denmark, even if he sets up four goals and scores two.

I think McCarthy is never going to drop Hendrick or Hourihane in favour of Byrne.

I’d love him to start against Denmark though.
Or, more pertinently based on the Swiss game, Hendrick and Alan Browne.

third policeman
13/11/2019, 4:22 PM
That was only when he was pushed on the issue. He clearly said they wont start any if then and they wont be brought on.... he back tracked a little bit later but I think he was clear

If he did say that, it would be totally idiotic even by Mick's standards. What is the point of having Byrne in the squad if there is literally no chance of him getting on the pitch irrespective of how he performs against New Zealand? His selection looks like a sop to the League of Ireland lobby and the media. Players should not be treated like PR pawns. Especially when they posses qualities that are in very rare supply within a very mediocre and utilitarian squad of players.

tetsujin1979
13/11/2019, 4:29 PM
Diggs, can you produce these quotes? Otherwise, discussing them is pointless.

DeLorean
13/11/2019, 4:38 PM
If he did say that, it would be totally idiotic even by Mick's standards. What is the point of having Byrne in the squad if there is literally no chance of him getting on the pitch irrespective of how he performs against New Zealand? His selection looks like a sop to the League of Ireland lobby and the media. Players should not be treated like PR pawns. Especially when they posses qualities that are in very rare supply within a very mediocre and utilitarian squad of players.

I'd imagine there's a little wiggle room in Mick's mind, should something really dramatic unfold tomorrow night. I think he's just suggesting that he pretty much knows his team for Monday, and there's very little that can happen in a friendly against New Zealand to alter that. I don't think that's being unusually rigid at this stage of a campaign.

He still needs to field a team tomorrow night though, and Bryne is a part of that the same as anybody else selected. I doubt Mick would feel the need to pander to anybody given his contract situation.

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 4:41 PM
Diggs, can you produce these quotes? Otherwise, discussing them is pointless.

/www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/hes-a-bright-intelligent-footballer-mick-mccarthy-confirms-troy-parrott-will-start-against-new-zealand-38688184.html

There is a video on this link on this indo article

Asked about players in question starting tomorrow's possibility of starting then on Monday
1.32 min -1.40 min
Asked about them even being subs
1.52 mins

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 4:44 PM
Sorry I think i have misheard him

my apologies, he was saying it the other way aroiund I think

Redner on me

Razors left peg
13/11/2019, 5:39 PM
To be fair to Mick when he seen that Connolly could offer something against Georgia (too late in the game)he did start him against the Swiss which I doubt he had any intention of doing going into that week.That was some flexibility I didnt think he was capable of.

So if Parrott or Byrne light it up tomorrow I would say they would definitely be in with a shot of at least some game time against Denmark.

DeLorean
13/11/2019, 5:52 PM
Team named:

1 Kieran O'Hara
2 Lee O'Connor
4 Kevin Long
21 Ciaran Clark
23 Derrick Williams
20 Josh Cullen
17 Jack Byrne
8 Alan Browne
10 Robbie Brady
15 Troy Parrott
7 Sean Maguire

Razors left peg
13/11/2019, 6:27 PM
4-3-1-2 formation I would say looking at that with Byrne playing just behind the front 2. Definitely a team to make it worth while watching

geysir
13/11/2019, 7:17 PM
I listened to that short interview on the Indo web page and afaiu his answers , Mick will not be starting any from this line up in the game against Denmark, 2 players might be considered to get a game as a sub but unlikely to be used as a sub and Mick said he'll try not to use them as a sub.

Razors left peg
13/11/2019, 7:37 PM
I listened to that short interview on the Indo web page and afaiu his answers , Mick will not be starting any from this line up in the game against Denmark, 2 players might be considered to get a game as a sub but unlikely to be used as a sub and Mick said he'll try not to use them as a sub.

Thats a ridiculous attitude to have if true. How can you look at the Swiss and Georgia games and not be open to changes if a player puts his had up

geysir
13/11/2019, 8:06 PM
Well, it's not often you can say this, but it's only New Zealand.