PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v New Zealand - Dublin - 14th November 2019 - Friendly

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 7:24 PM
Thats a ridiculous attitude to have if true. How can you look at the Swiss and Georgia games and not be open to changes if a player puts his had up

Sorry guys I think I got it wrong. On mature reflection in that Indo video, It sounds like he is saying none of his first team will play against NZ not the other way around like I first thought

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 7:26 PM
Although that doesn't bode well for anyone being promoted from the NZ game either

liamoo11
13/11/2019, 7:47 PM
Team named:

1 Kieran O'Hara
2 Lee O'Connor
4 Kevin Long
21 Ciaran Clark
23 Derrick Williams
20 Josh Cullen
17 Jack Byrne
8 Alan Browne
10 Robbie Brady
15 Troy Parrott
7 Sean Maguire

It's a nice side in fairness lots of technical footballers . I'm not a big maguire fan and he has been horrible in his Irish appearances but this might be a chance to get his confidence up especially if he is playing wide on a front 3 like at Preston.

O connor must be stoked . Let's hope he shows the composure on the ball we have seen underage and deals with the physicality

Thaf midfield 3 on paper has nice balance with Cullen a sitter composed and tidy, Browne a hard running number 8 with a goal threat and Byrne the creative spark. Byrne really needs to not take the easy option of dropping to take the ball off the centre halves or Cullen. He needs to work harder to find that space higher up the pitch to make it easier for Cullen and Browne to play the forward ball to him so he can get turned and actually look to create chances.

I'd be hopeful that parrott would make a big impact tomorrow night and I think brady and Byrne will give him good supply to play to his strengths

Brady needs to light it up to get in on Monday I think he is the most likely from this to be involved ed monday

geysir
13/11/2019, 7:51 PM
Sorry guys I think I got it wrong. On mature reflection in that Indo video, It sounds like he is saying none of his first team will play against NZ not the other way around like I first thought

He is saying that none of this line up will start v Denmark, 2 might be used as sub but unlikely to happen and in any case he will try to avoid that eventuality.

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 8:14 PM
He is saying that none of this line up will start v Denmark, 2 might be used as sub but unlikely to happen and in any case he will try to avoid that eventuality.

Now I'm confused

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 8:39 PM

I watched it again there. It's not very clear but he is saying none of the "monday" (Denmark) starters will be involved against NZ.... barr possibly one etc

geysir
13/11/2019, 8:49 PM
I watched it again there. It's not very clear but he is saying none of the "monday" (Denmark) starters will be involved against NZ.... barr possibly one etc
The interview is muddy waters, the question of who starts when was asked back to front and Mick does answer that question and the following questions in a hazy laid back couldn't really care less manner, but I'm near certain that the gist of what he answered is that none of this line up will start v Denmark, 2 might be used as sub but unlikely to happen and in any case he will try to avoid that eventuality.

DeLorean
13/11/2019, 9:02 PM
Is this the team for Monday so?

Randolph
Doherty
Duffy
Egan
Stevens
Whelan
Hendrick
Browne/Hourihane
McClean
Robinson (or maybe O'Dowda?)
McGoldrick

Diggs246
13/11/2019, 10:13 PM
Slightly off point. But who is worse Collins or Sammon?

SkStu
13/11/2019, 11:18 PM

Great question!

The answer, of course, is Joey Lapira.

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 12:32 AM
Let's hope they fair better than the rugby team. :)

OwlsFan
14/11/2019, 1:50 PM

Never happy with people having a dig at Irish players. If they're selected, turn up (not feign injury like some) and give 100% I'll never have a go at them. Have a pop at the manager for selecting them ok, but not the player.

Now, time to put on the scarf and head off to a watering hole in town for pre-match refreshments. Score prediction 2-1.

Fixer82
14/11/2019, 1:54 PM
Never happy with people having a dig at Irish players. If they're selected, turn up (not feign injury like some) and give 100% I'll never have a go at them. Have a pop at the manager for selecting them ok, but not the player.

Now, time to put on the scarf and head off to a watering hole in town for pre-match refreshments. Score prediction 2-1.

Well said

Diggs246
14/11/2019, 3:36 PM

Chill out

elatedscum
14/11/2019, 4:28 PM
Really happy to see Ciaran Clark back in the squad and back playing. Good guy. Always made the effort to be available... Always felt he was cast aside by O'Neill and Mick a little too quickly in comparison to say Kevin Long, who never really played much for Burnley in the same time frame

third policeman
14/11/2019, 6:25 PM
Really happy to see Ciaran Clark back in the squad and back playing. Good guy. Always made the effort to be available... Always felt he was cast aside by O'Neill and Mick a little too quickly in comparison to say Kevin Long, who never really played much for Burnley in the same time frame

Underrated footballer. Played as defensive midfielder for England under age. Actually think he would do a better job for us there than Whelan.

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 6:44 PM
Hmm I have a stream but it has not sound as yet, won't be much fun watching without sound.

1 Kieran O'Hara
2 Lee O'Connor
4 Kevin Long
21 Ciaran Clark
23 Derrick Williams
20 Josh Cullen
17 Jack Byrne
8 Alan Browne
10 Robbie Brady
15 Troy Parrott
7 Sean Maguire

The squad number should help in that respect.

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 6:49 PM
I got sound now :)

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 6:51 PM
Parrot knocked off his perch there .

shakermaker1982
14/11/2019, 6:58 PM
What have they done to our home shirt?!

shakermaker1982
14/11/2019, 7:06 PM
I know it’s only New Zealand but it has been a bright start from the kids. Some clever passes by Cullen. Midfield are trying to pass forward which is encouraging.

Nesta99
14/11/2019, 7:16 PM
Let's hope they fair better than the rugby team. :)

Oppps!!

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 7:16 PM
1-0 :)

Nesta99
14/11/2019, 7:30 PM
Maguire looking well out of his depth so far. Hope he shows some belief!!

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 7:34 PM
1-1 :)

Nice corner and header.

centre mid
14/11/2019, 7:38 PM
Not great stuff really, Good move from NZ for their goal. Lot of players out of their depth, even against a very ordinary NZ side. Good experience I guess but we've had a lot of the ball and not created many good chances, snap shots and rushed passes. Might settle down a bit in the 2nd half.

pineapple stu
14/11/2019, 7:55 PM
Decent strike from Maguire, but the keeper could have made an effort at least

placid casual
14/11/2019, 8:01 PM
Brady plays with a confidence that his general play does not warrant. Happy for Maguire to get off the mark.Jack Byrnes been ok, nothing startling.

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 8:19 PM
3-1 :)

Lovely cross and header.

tricky_colour
14/11/2019, 8:33 PM
Mick McCarthy celebrating early there.

rebelmusic
14/11/2019, 8:38 PM
Not too shabby in the end. Cullen very impressive and I'd like to see him come on for Hendrick if, as unfortunately is the norm, Hendrick doesn't play well on. Monday

Brady had a good, solid game. Think he'll be starting on Monday

osarusan
14/11/2019, 8:38 PM
Another one of those games where if players do well, it doesn't mean much as it's only New Zealand. Players can only make themselves look off the pace.

Once Ireland woke up they won it easily, as they should. Hard to read too much into anything good though.

tetsujin1979
14/11/2019, 8:45 PM
Vote for your man of the match

Diggs246
14/11/2019, 8:52 PM

Josh Cullen

greendeiseboy
14/11/2019, 9:35 PM

Lee O’Connor, lad’s first ever senior appearance anywhere, he was outstanding

Razors left peg
14/11/2019, 10:00 PM
Brady had a good, solid game. Think he'll be starting on Monday

I was actually thinking the opposite. I thought he was terrible today and that he was the one player who might have had a chance for monday with good performance. I thought he played himself out of the team

Razors left peg
14/11/2019, 10:02 PM
Lee O’Connor, lad’s first ever senior appearance anywhere, he was outstanding

Agree with that, he looks a very good player.

Cullen too, very tidy footballer, looks to get on the ball as much as possible.

elatedscum
14/11/2019, 11:22 PM
Probably Cullen. Thought he was very sharp and bright. Byrne tired in the second half. Clark didn’t have a lot to do but he was good.

Fizzer
15/11/2019, 6:36 AM
Kevin Long looked like Franco Baresi out there.Brady was obviously off the pace by some distance, I really hope this is only a temporary loss of sharpness but he has no chance of starting Monday.I think Byrne will start, clearly the instructions were to move the ball fast to the runners upfront and that’s what he did.O’Connor had a brilliant debut and Cullen has given himself a chance of seeing some game time. I don’t think he’s played a competitive minute for us yet.

Fixer82
15/11/2019, 6:48 AM
Kevin Long looked like Franco Baresi out there.Brady was obviously off the pace by some distance, I really hope this is only a temporary loss of sharpness but he has no chance of starting Monday.I think Byrne will start, clearly the instructions were to move the ball fast to the runners upfront and that’s what he did.O’Connor had a brilliant debut and Cullen has given himself a chance of seeing some game time. I don’t think he’s played a competitive minute for us yet.

I can’t see any of them starting.
If I had to put money on who of those will start, I’d say Derrick Williams

nigel-harps1954
15/11/2019, 8:42 AM
Thought Brady was very poor. Disappointed he took charge of all the set pieces, as Byrne has equally as good, if not better, delivery than him.

Cullen was my man of the match. Looked comfortable on the ball, always willing to take the ball, and not shy in defensive duties.

Byrne was good, but nothing spectacular. His passing and vision are second to none though.

Maguire was poor in the first half. His running in behind defense is excellent, but seems a bit void of confidence in front of the goal, despite that wonderful effort into the top corner. He could have had a hat-trick on another night. Dare I say it, looked a shadow of the player who left Cork.

Nicely taken goal by Williams. He looks like he could be an option on the left. Interesting to see what decision Mick makes against the Danes after that performance.

Young O'Connor looked at ease in the senior squad too. Couple of shaky moments, but assured throughout. Still can't get my head around him not playing at Celtic. Needs a move away from there in January if he's to progress further as clearly Lennon has no interest in playing him.

Diggs246
15/11/2019, 9:21 AM

You haven't voted yourself? Who are u going for

osarusan
15/11/2019, 9:23 AM
If think we needed to see a real eye-catching display for anybody to stake a claim for a starting position on Monday, and I don't think we really say enough of that from anybody.

It's a positive that we can have a 'second team' of that quality though, even considering the opposition.

DeLorean
15/11/2019, 10:11 AM
I seem to be in a minority but I thought Brady played well in the first half before fading in the second, understandably enough given his lack of game time. Good point regarding mixing up the set pieces a bit more and using Byrne, but maybe this was an instructing by Mick, who knows.

If ever a player needed a goal it was Maguire, and his interview suggested the same. He played with much more confidence after it. Robinson too to a lesser extent.

Parrott looks well able for the physical side of things which is a big plus if he's to be fast-tracked, won countless free kick à la Aaron Connolly.

O'Connor stole the show really I felt. Looked at home all through and had some real moments of quality.

tetsujin1979
15/11/2019, 10:36 AM
You haven't voted yourself? Who are u going for I'm abstaining. If there's a draw at the end, I'll cast a vote

jbyrne
15/11/2019, 10:50 AM
I seem to be in a minority but I thought Brady played well in the first half before fading in the second, understandably enough given his lack of game time.

id agree with this. had some nice touches and interplay with others in the first half. one or two of his passes around the NZ box went astray but on at least one occasion i was blaming the receiver.
he took on the role of a senior player among a number of lads with much less experience and i thought he handled it well. he is definitely one of our better footballers and he looked physically strong on a number of occasions last night. real pity he hasn't a few more 90 mins under his belt this season as he would definitely be a plus for us Monday if he had.

ifk101
15/11/2019, 11:41 AM
Brady showed flashes of being a player but didn't have a good game. Why he wasn't played on the left or even tried out at LB when Williams went off annoys me. And annoyance is the feeling I have with last night's game. It wasn't used as a dry run for Monday's game, it wasn't used to give those players just outside the starting 11 a genuine chance to stake a claim for Monday's team. All we did was give the squad players a run out - same as with the Bulgaria game. Nothing learned, all boardline pointless really.

DeLorean
15/11/2019, 12:43 PM
Mick probably saw the game as pretty pointless though, he didn't organise it. He obviously felt a dry run wouldn't have been worth the risk of injuries or even adding the slightest bit of fatigue to his preferred XI.

I think it went well all the same. We learned a little about O'Connor and Parrott, got some minutes into Brady and Kevin Long in case they are needed, and got two forwards off the mark in terms of goals.

DeLorean
15/11/2019, 12:55 PM
P.S. I thought the new kit actually looked well.

liamoo11
15/11/2019, 1:14 PM
Parrott has a real feel of Anthony stokes about him great technique, intelligent runner, physical, and goal instinct and not blinding quick. Went wrong for stokes but at 18 he was a top player and goalscorer