PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v Denmark - Dublin - 18th November 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

backstothewall
15/10/2019, 10:34 PM
It comes down to this then. Deja vu all over again.

I wouldn't mind at all if something happens to Eriksen between now and then.

I think we have a decent shot at it though. Last time we were a better finish from McClean away from being 2-0 up. If we had managed that I don't think they would have gotten back into it.

It feels hopeless tonight but by the time it comes around we will have licked our wounds and believe again. Lansdowne Road will be bouncing. If only because we don't know how to do anything else.

pineapple stu
16/10/2019, 6:26 AM
We haven't beaten Denmark in a competitive game since 1979. More importantly, we haven't beaten them in the 5 recent competitive games and, truth be told, haven't looked like beating them.

We have gotten 4 draws in that time, but the one defeat was the one time we needed a win.

Not optimistic at all here unfortunately

ifk101
16/10/2019, 7:00 AM
I can't find positives or reason for optimism. Going to be hard to score, let alone win the game in the absence of our best striker - Duffy.

pineapple stu
16/10/2019, 7:37 AM
Duffy's not suspended

jbyrne
16/10/2019, 7:44 AM
We haven't beaten Denmark in a competitive game since 1979. More importantly, we haven't beaten them in the 5 recent competitive games and, truth be told, haven't looked like beating them.

We have gotten 4 draws in that time, but the one defeat was the one time we needed a win.

Not optimistic at all here unfortunately

we had a worse record against germany before we beat them at home.
bad away record against decent opposition for almost 30 years until we beat both austria and wales away.
all this in the last 4 years.

records are there to be broken...... believe!!

EAFC_rdfl
16/10/2019, 8:29 AM
Would sooner see Schmeichel missing than Eriksson, given how few chances we create. You'd need 4 or 5 clear cut ones to have any hope of getting 1 past him

Fizzer
16/10/2019, 9:25 AM
Delaney’s the key man for me, if he gets to stride through midfield unopposed then we’re goosed, but neutralise him and Eriksson has to drop deeper. Given that we have to win I think we’ll have to abandon the holding midfielder in front of the defence role, and man-mark Delaney. To do it, we need someone with a massive engine, possibly two lads, one for each half. McCarthy would be plan A for me, hopefully he gets some game time between now and then.Plan B would be Arter, I don’t particularly rate him at this level but he’ll run all day and kick a fella when he needs a kick. Both of those options come with the caveat that they are now clearly lukewarm about turning up to play for us at all.
Plan C and bottom of the barrel time would be McLean.If nothing else it’d stop him running the ball out over the by-line and killing the game dead every time we look like we might get a break.

backstothewall
16/10/2019, 9:27 AM
Duffy's not suspended

Told you. You getting more optimistic already!

Stuttgart88
16/10/2019, 10:03 AM
Just booked my flights.

pineapple stu
16/10/2019, 10:37 AM
Told you. You getting more optimistic already!
Just been told Denmark have scored more competitive goals in Lansdowne in the last two years than we have.

Optimism gone again!

DeLorean
24/10/2019, 8:43 AM
Just been told Denmark have scored more competitive goals in Lansdowne in the last two years than we have.

Optimism gone again!

We'd prefer to be a part of these inaugural Nations League Playoff thingys anyway.

liamoo11
26/10/2019, 12:49 PM
I see Westwood back today for sheff wed thank God hopefully stays fit given Randolph's fitness concern

Fixer82
26/10/2019, 4:25 PM
I see Westwood back today for sheff wed thank God hopefully stays fit given Randolph's fitness concern

Mick won’t pick him

liamoo11
26/10/2019, 5:34 PM
Mick won’t pick him
Ah I'd say he will cause randolf will be a doubt even if he starts. I tink mick will get loyalty to touch now it's of no benefit to him I tink he will just pick the players he needs to get the job done I'd expect that to benefit lads like Westie, clarkie,mccarthie, Bradie, Longie and connollie maybe even obafemie

Fizzer
26/10/2019, 8:57 PM
Westwood isn’t good enough at this level for me. Eriksson would have a field day knowing that Westwood is often poor positionally and vulnerable to shots outside the box. His kicking isn’t bad if the intention is going to be to hoof it up top all night.
His commitment to us has also always been dubious at best, he’ll be aware of the reality that even if we qualify, he could miss out on the final squad anyway. The one-off nature of the game against Denmark calls for players prepared to give total commitment to winning it.
I’d give Travers or Kelleher a shot, they both look like lads who thrive on being busy and we’re going to be counting on them long-term. On their night, they both look like they could make a real difference. A good game from Travers in particular would be useful in terms of showing Eddie Howe how he performs under real pressure.A big international performance can go a long way to establishing a young keepers reputation when first-team opportunities are hard to get at club level. The long-term importance for us of having a keeper playing regularly in the premier league shouldn’t be underestimated.
All of the other players you mention Liam, I’d start them all with the exception of Obafemi (who I’d spring from the bench for Brady/Connolly), and Clarke who was one of the first to run up the white flag in the home playoff.

liamoo11
26/10/2019, 9:56 PM
Westwood isn’t good enough at this level for me. Eriksson would have a field day knowing that Westwood is often poor positionally and vulnerable to shots outside the box. His kicking isn’t bad if the intention is going to be to hoof it up top all night.
His commitment to us has also always been dubious at best, he’ll be aware of the reality that even if we qualify, he could miss out on the final squad anyway. The one-off nature of the game against Denmark calls for players prepared to give total commitment to winning it.
I’d give Travers or Kelleher a shot, they both look like lads who thrive on being busy and we’re going to be counting on them long-term. On their night, they both look like they could make a real difference. A good game from Travers in particular would be useful in terms of showing Eddie Howe how he performs under real pressure.A big international performance can go a long way to establishing a young keepers reputation when first-team opportunities are hard to get at club level. The long-term importance for us of having a keeper playing regularly in the premier league shouldn’t be underestimated.
All of the other players you mention Liam, I’d start them all with the exception of Obafemi (who I’d spring from the bench for Brady/Connolly), and Clarke who was one of the first to run up the white flag in the home playoff.

Yeah agree with you on Clark he became a 5 a side player that night himself and ward went from hoof it the lenght of the pitch to just because Denmark equalised let's become tika taka kings out of the blue.

On the keeper issue we are in dire straights if Randolph is out and I wood have Westwood's experience for such a big game over the other lads even though I think kelleher is quality

Obafemi definitely as you say only on the bench but worth that to have pace to inject with 10 mins to go. Also allows you to k Connolly to start and still have that pace option off the benvh

Charlie Darwin
27/10/2019, 5:29 PM
Ah I'd say he will cause randolf will be a doubt even if he starts. I tink mick will get loyalty to touch now it's of no benefit to him I tink he will just pick the players he needs to get the job done I'd expect that to benefit lads like Westie, clarkie,mccarthie, Bradie, Longie and connollie maybe even obafemie
Still no place for Dohertie

liamoo11
27/10/2019, 5:57 PM
Still no place for Dohertie

I'd play mcgintie Instead!

samhaydenjr
28/10/2019, 12:13 AM
Stephen Henderson was on the bench for Palace today - would he be an option if Randolph isn't available?

Diggs246
28/10/2019, 7:03 AM
Whatever keeper we play. Has to be playing week in week out

DeLorean
29/10/2019, 8:42 AM
Westwood isn’t good enough at this level for me. Eriksson would have a field day knowing that Westwood is often poor positionally and vulnerable to shots outside the box.

I’d give Travers or Kelleher a shot, they both look like lads who thrive on being busy and we’re going to be counting on them long-term. On their night, they both look like they could make a real difference.

I'd have a nervous breakdown if Kelleher was chosen for this one, to be honest. He doesn't look ready at all. I'd feel better about Travers, hopefully he could have a night like his debut against Tottenham. Completely disagree that Westwood isn't good enough for this level but he probably has exceeded the reasonable limit of dropouts at this stage.

irishfan86
29/10/2019, 12:11 PM
I would be inclined to go with Westwood if he is available and willing. Travers and Kelleher look promising but neither of them are playing first team football regularly -- and unless we're desperate I'd be uncomfortable taking a risk for such a vital match.

Closed Account
29/10/2019, 12:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/YmiqLPs.png

A good old school 39 man squad, good man Mick

Pos

Player

Date of Birth (age)

Caps

Goals

Club

GK
Darren Randolph
12 May 1987 (age 32)
Middlesbrough

GK
Mark Travers
18 May 1999 (age 20)
Bournemouth

GK
Kieran O'Hara
22 April 1996 (age 23)
Burton Albion

GK
Keiren Westwood
23 October 1984 (age 35)
Sheffield Wednesday

GK
Caoimhín Kelleher
28 November 1998 (age 20)
Liverpool

DF
Matt Doherty
16 January 1992 (age 27)
Wolverhampton Wanderers

DF
Cyrus Christie
30 September 1992 (age 27)
Fulham

DF
John Egan
20 October 1992 (age 27)
Sheffield United

DF
Shane Duffy
1 January 1992 (age 27)
Brighton & Hove Albion

DF
Kevin Long
18 August 1990 (age 29)
Burnley

DF
Enda Stevens
9 July 1990 (age 29)
Sheffield United

DF
Darragh Lenihan
16 March 1994 (age 25)
Blackburn Rovers

DF
Ciaran Clark
26 September 1989 (age 30)
Newcastle United

DF
Derrick Williams
17 January 1993 (age 26)
Blackburn Rovers

MF
Ryan Manning
14 June 1996 (age 23)
Queens Park Rangers

DF
Nathan Collins
30 April 2001 (age 18)
Stoke City

MF
Callum O'Dowda
23 April 1995 (age 24)
Bristol City

MF
Conor Hourihane
2 February 1991 (age 28)
Aston Villa

MF
Josh Cullen
7 April 1996 (age 23)
Charlton Athletic

MF
Glenn Whelan
13 January 1984 (age 35)
Heart of Midlothian

MF
Alan Browne
15 April 1995 (age 24)
Preston North End

MF
Robbie Brady
14 January 1992 (age 27)
Burnley

MF
James McClean
22 April 1989 (age 30)
Stoke City

MF
Jeff Hendrick
31 January 1992 (age 27)
Burnley

MF
James McCarthy
12 November 1990 (age 28)
Crystal Palace

MF
Alan Judge
11 November 1988 (age 30)
Ipswich Town

MF
Jack Byrne
24 April 1996 (age 23)
Shamrock Rovers

FW
Aaron Connolly
28 January 2000 (age 19)
Brighton & Hove Albion

FW
David McGoldrick
29 November 1987 (age 31)
Sheffield United

FW
James Collins
1 December 1990 (age 28)
Luton Town

FW
Sean Maguire
1 May 1994 (age 25)
Preston North End

FW
Callum Robinson
2 February 1995 (age 24)
Sheffield United

FW
Aiden O'Brien
4 October 1993 (age 26)
Millwall

FW
Kieran Sadlier
14 September 1994 (age 25)
Doncaster Rovers

FW
Ronan Curtis
29 March 1996 (age 23)
Portsmouth

FW
Shane Long
22 January 1987 (age 32)
Southampton

FW
Michael Obafemi
7 June 2000 (age 19)
Southampton

FW
Troy Parrott
4 February 2002 (age 17)
Tottenham Hotspur

FW
Scott Hogan
13 April 1992 (age 27)
Stoke City

5 uncapped, 5 more with single cap, 5 more with < 5 caps, 7 more with < 10 caps

Olé Olé
29/10/2019, 1:26 PM
There was no extended squad named last time out so Shane Long didn't have the change to be dropped for the final squad. Very hard to know, as a result, if he is seriously in Mick's plans.

Connolly and Didsy starting with Long off the bench sounds like a plan to me.

Fizzer
04/11/2019, 9:19 PM
James McCarthy has effectively ruled himself out of the game.I can understand his bit of trepidation given the injuries but we could badly do with him.We’re really short of options, much as I’m grateful for Whelan’s dedication, I just can’t see us winning this game with him playing another 90 he just slows the ball down too much.Mick’s going to have to take a chance on someone. As an aside, I think McGoldrick and Connolly might work pretty well together, McGoldrick’s quite neat and tidy and has a decent range of passing and can come deep and collect it. His finishing obviously isn’t great but you’d be looking to Connolly for that.

SkStu
04/11/2019, 9:27 PM
surely now is the time for Josh Cullen to step in - blood him some more against NZ and then in for the crunch game.

Fixer82
06/11/2019, 4:15 PM
James McCarthy has effectively ruled himself out of the game.I can understand his bit of trepidation given the injuries but we could badly do with him.We’re really short of options, much as I’m grateful for Whelan’s dedication, I just can’t see us winning this game with him playing another 90 he just slows the ball down too much.Mick’s going to have to take a chance on someone. As an aside, I think McGoldrick and Connolly might work pretty well together, McGoldrick’s quite neat and tidy and has a decent range of passing and can come deep and collect it. His finishing obviously isn’t great but you’d be looking to Connolly for that.

Definitely McGoldrick as no.10 behind Connolly

tommy_c12000
07/11/2019, 12:57 PM
https://foot.ie/attachment.php?attachmentid=2810&stc=1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIxk32qWwAAS4uB.jpg
Squad named. Lee O'Connor to be included for NZ game before reverting to U21s for Sweden game. Great chance for him to increase his exposure and push for Celtic 1st team squad. Fair play to Mick. Clark and Brady back in. Parrott included as expected, again, a huge opportunity for him to kickstart his fledgling career. Jack Byrne makes final cut, good to see. Rest as expected with Mick at the helm (Hogan and Mahon ahead of Long). It is a large squad of 28, likely planning to play "B" team for NZ so needs additional numbers.

(Tets, if you could get rid of the additional attached image it would be great! Have difficulty working the uploading on this site. Thanks)

Fizzer
07/11/2019, 1:38 PM
Might have been nice to take a look at Manning maybe against NZ but no major complaints, good to see Parrott and Byrne are in

tetsujin1979
07/11/2019, 1:42 PM
Squad named. Lee O'Connor to be included for NZ game before reverting to U21s for Sweden game. Great chance for him to increase his exposure and push for Celtic 1st team squad. Fair play to Mick. Clark and Brady back in. Parrott included as expected, again, a huge opportunity for him to kickstart his fledgling career. Jack Byrne makes final cut, good to see. Rest as expected with Mick at the helm (Hogan and Mahon ahead of Long). It is a large squad of 28, likely planning to play "B" team for NZ so needs additional numbers.

(Tets, if you could get rid of the additional attached image it would be great! Have difficulty working the uploading on this site. Thanks)

best I could do, couldn't find the original image, so I took that from twitter.

Olé Olé
07/11/2019, 1:42 PM
Manning is the big exclusion for me this time out. I thought he might get in for a look in NZ game. McCarthy, Long , Westwood and Arter being excluded doesn't come as a great surprise.

Great to see Parrott and Byrne in for a look and hopefully plenty time against NZ. There could be an exciting line-up for that game with Cullen, Byrne, Parrott, Williams, O'Connor, Brady and Maguire all surely likely to get a run.

jbyrne
07/11/2019, 3:07 PM
Great to see Parrott and Byrne in for a look and hopefully plenty time against NZ. There could be an exciting line-up for that game with Cullen, Byrne, Parrott, Williams, O'Connor, Brady and Maguire all surely likely to get a run.

would like to see the team to play denmark play against NZ to work on a few things.
throw on a few newer lads in the last 30 mins but we need to use the nz friendly to get a few things sorted for the denmark match.

marinobohs
07/11/2019, 3:12 PM
would like to see the team to play denmark play against NZ to work on a few things.
throw on a few newer lads in the last 30 mins but we need to use the nz friendly to get a few things sorted for the denmark match.

Agreed. its all about the Denmark match and preparing for that, NZ too late for any 'experiments' unless somebody does something exceptional. We have what we have, lets go and make the best use of it.

elatedscum
07/11/2019, 3:25 PM
Feel a bit sorry for Cyrus Christie. Lee O'Connor hasn't really done much at club level to merit a place but can see the logic in it.

As for Shane Long being left out in favour of James Collins, that doesn't make any sense to me. James McCarthy is very disappointing, you'd wonder what's going on with him or with Mick, if there's some breakdown in relationship or if the player just doesn't want it. But if I was him, I'd want minutes on the pitch.

I'd also say to Kieran Westwood, the plan is to play you for 45 minutes against New Zealand and play Travers for 45 minutes against New Zealand and if Randolph isn't fit, we'll take it from there but we really need you. Travers still has a few weaknesses, particularly deciding whether to stay on his line or come and claim balls put into the danger zone, he still has a tendency to stick to his line more than is ideal.

Good to see Clarke and Brady back in the squad.

jbyrne
07/11/2019, 3:36 PM
James McCarthy is very disappointing, you'd wonder what's going on with him or with Mick, if there's some breakdown in relationship or if the player just doesn't want it. But if I was him, I'd want minutes on the pitch.

we cant keep giving this as a reason / excuse for lads not turning up.
Mick is an excellent man manager by all accounts.

some players would play on one leg...... others are just not that pushed really

elatedscum
07/11/2019, 3:44 PM
Does anyone have a times subscription? From last week https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irish-sport/james-mccarthy-i-would-never-hide-away-and-say-no-i-dont-want-to-play-x9ttkgdd5 kinda weird

tetsujin1979
07/11/2019, 4:10 PM
this is probably the most relevant quote from the piece for the upcoming games

Clearly, club football is the priority for McCarthy at the moment. When he was named in the provisional squad for the last two competitive games, a conversation was had with his namesake Mick and the midfielder didn’t make the final list.

“I spoke to him[Mick] and he understands that I need to get back playing again,” McCarthy says. “I want to play week in week out and hopefully we can qualify for the Euros next summer with the game against Denmark, but I want now to stay injury free, get a run of games here at Palace and ensure that once I get in the team I can stay in the team.”

irishfan86
07/11/2019, 6:07 PM
I really don't blame James. I'm sure his view is that Hodgson has put so much faith in him, if he is going to get injured during his comeback, that should happen with Palace. Realistically if he is injured in the Denmark match, there is a good chance he will never play for Palace or in the Premier League again.

That might sound dramatic but I don't think it is.

The problem for us is -- if James becomes a first team regular with Palace after we qualify -- will Mick then bring James to the tournament?

It's all messy but I understand the position James has taken.

tommy_c12000
07/11/2019, 6:08 PM
Doherty starts in Europa for Wolves, showing more ill effects after picking up a knock at weekend. Augurs well for Denmark

centre mid
07/11/2019, 8:16 PM
Disappointing that James McCarthy won't be available but I can't honestly say he'd make a huge difference to our midfield right now. Can't recal him having a standout game in a green shirt.

tetsujin1979
07/11/2019, 8:46 PM
against Italy in Euro 2016

elatedscum
07/11/2019, 10:02 PM
To be honest, he was good throughout the Euros - Sweden, Italy and France games anyway. Also, the germany win. He was tenacious in that game...

Fixer82
07/11/2019, 10:42 PM
I think he's right to focus on getting fit. He hasn't been involved with the squad due to injuries and has had a few very bad injuries. Palace pay his wages at the end of the day and probably took a gamble on him so he's repaying that faith.

liamoo11
09/11/2019, 3:18 PM
Horrible mistakes from Steven's and egan there

liamoo11
09/11/2019, 3:19 PM
Great goal mcgoldrick lovely from stevens

tetsujin1979
09/11/2019, 3:32 PM
Disallowed by VAR, FFS

Stuttgart88
10/11/2019, 1:15 PM
Doherty starts today after his injury scare last week. Clark getting game time and goals, Egan, Stevens and McGoldrick all flying, and Duffy and Connolly starting today. I don't know if Hendrick started but he was in the action on MOTD in a 3-0 win over West Ham, and O'Dowda looked good playing in an advanced central role for BC in their smash & grab win at Cardiff.

Stuttgart88
10/11/2019, 1:37 PM
Doherty a real attacking threat from wing back today, just as Stevens is. Damn right we have the players for 352.

Olé Olé
10/11/2019, 6:16 PM
Doherty a real attacking threat from wing back today, just as Stevens is. Damn right we have the players for 352.

And then there's our forwards. Connolly and McGoldrick looks like it could be a match made in heaven. Instead, we will have McClean on the left and Brady or Robinson on the right with McGoldrick busting a gut trying to fend off defenders for long enough for our 8s and wide players to get close to him.

liamoo11
10/11/2019, 7:21 PM
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mick-mccarthy-waits-on-aaron-connolly-scan that's Connolly out most likely if groin was painful enough to have to come off