PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland v Republic of Ireland - Geneva - 15th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

CraftyToePoke
13/10/2019, 12:50 PM
Time for a thread I thought.

Will Whelan start ?

Can we keep them at 0-0 till they get nervous ? Pressure on them all of a sudden now.

pineapple stu
13/10/2019, 1:01 PM
I think the pressure is on both of us. We've both thrown away a decent position in the group yesterday.

A draw suits no-one I think. If we draw, we need to beat Denmark anyway - the draw in Switzerland doesn't help. And it means that the Swiss could get knocked out.

Current is -
IRL 6-12
DEN 6-12
SUI 5-8

We draw on Tuesday and it's
IRL 7-13
DEN 6-12
SUI 6-9

First November matchday is Denmark v Gibraltar and Switzerland v Georgia. We have to assume two home wins, which leaves -
DEN 7-15
IRL 7-13
SUI 7-12

Then Switzerland beat Gibraltar on the final day, but if we beat Denmark then it's us and Denmark who qualify. (Any other result and it's Denmark and Switzerland who qualify)

The problem though is that Switzerland, away from home, were much better against Denmark and only for an exceptional performance from Schmeichel they would have won comfortably. If they - at home - match that performance, then we're in trouble.

Lionel Ritchie
13/10/2019, 1:16 PM
I think he'll start. He was caught out for pace yesterday but I don't think his was a poor performance by any means. Too many under par or anonymous contributions elsewhere.

It does indicate the pauciity of options that a 35 year old who's been released more times than Take On Me is considered the best option.

geysir
13/10/2019, 1:40 PM
All the same I find it wierd that we can lose to the Swiss, beat Denmark at home and we qualify.

the 12 th man
13/10/2019, 2:02 PM
Connolly has to start and ideally Byrne for Hendrick.

centre mid
13/10/2019, 4:34 PM
Stevens for Doherty will be the only change.

Diggs246
13/10/2019, 5:00 PM
Stevens for Doherty will be the only change.

Collins will be dropped. It's his replacement that is question. Mick my break our hearts and go with Hogan

Fixer82
13/10/2019, 7:57 PM
Collins will be dropped. It's his replacement that is question. Mick my break our hearts and go with Hogan

Like he went for Cascarino against Croatia away instead of a young Robbie Keane

Razors left peg
13/10/2019, 8:14 PM
Connolly is the best striker in the squad full stop. Hogan and Collins are both journeymen. Neither have a huge amount of international experience to act as a mitigating factor. Just pick the best effin player, everything else is BS.

Midfielder is more of a question. I absolutely think Hourihan should be dropped, would bring in Cullen or Browne instead. I think he will probably pick the same 3 though.
I dont think Mcclean should ever start again for us, but McCarthy wont drop him so I expect him to start.
Robinson needs to do more, hes been disappointing so far

TrapAPony
14/10/2019, 1:00 AM
I expect only two changes - Stevens for Doherty and Connolly for Collins. Would prefer if Cullen got a start over Whelan but I know Mick would never do that.

Stuttgart88
14/10/2019, 8:19 AM
I see this game as a free hit.

A draw is only of benefit in the sense that it guarantees that the Danes qualify so maybe they won’t be as difficult to beat in Dublin.

My worry is that even with the incentive of a win Mick will see the best way of achieving it as being backs to the wall / nick a goal from a corner. Personally I’d see it as a chance to be bold.

Regardess however, even if the game plan is to be cautious, McClean and Robinson were dreadful. Robinson can be mitigated by the fact that he’s not a winger and he received the ball tight to the touchline way too often.

With Stevens back I’d go 4-3-1-2, with Connoplly and Robinson up front, the same midfield 3 and Byrne in the advanced role. The full backs can supply the width. I’d even be tempted to go 3 at the back, such is the nature of the outcome – a loss means nothing really, there’s only upside. Imagine waking up on Wednesday with the job done!

It won’t happen of course but, think of the karma: Mick hounded out of Dublin in 2002 after a 2-1 home defeat to Switzerland…

Stuttgart88
14/10/2019, 8:21 AM
I bought the Indo this morning to read on the tube: the rugby & football commentary was identical. The coach needs to be brave and pick an attacking team with intent to give it a go. Kearney seems to be the rugby “scapegoat”, Larmour the Connolly equivalent.

mark12345
14/10/2019, 12:44 PM
Connolly is the best striker in the squad full stop. Hogan and Collins are both journeymen. Neither have a huge amount of international experience to act as a mitigating factor. Just pick the best effin player, everything else is BS.

Midfielder is more of a question. I absolutely think Hourihan should be dropped, would bring in Cullen or Browne instead. I think he will probably pick the same 3 though.
I dont think Mcclean should ever start again for us, but McCarthy wont drop him so I expect him to start.
Robinson needs to do more, hes been disappointing so far

All of what you say is on point, especially about midfield, but there is way more to it than that. People are talking about Connolly like he is going to take on 11 Swiss players on his own and win the game for us. The most important thing about tomorrow night is the game plan. We know we're going to be under long periods of pressure so who are the players to spring a counter attack? Who is the midfielder to demand the ball and hit crisp passes?

mark12345
14/10/2019, 12:52 PM

A draw is only of benefit in the sense that it guarantees that the Danes qualify so maybe they won’t be as difficult to beat in Dublin.

My worry is that even with the incentive of a win Mick will see the best way of achieving it as being backs to the wall / nick a goal from a corner. Personally I’d see it as a chance to be bold.

Regardess however, even if the game plan is to be cautious, McClean and Robinson were dreadful. Robinson can be mitigated by the fact that he’s not a winger and he received the ball tight to the touchline way too often.

With Stevens back I’d go 4-3-1-2, with Connoplly and Robinson up front, the same midfield 3 and Byrne in the advanced role. The full backs can supply the width. I’d even be tempted to go 3 at the back, such is the nature of the outcome – a loss means nothing really, there’s only upside. Imagine waking up on Wednesday with the job done!

It won’t happen of course but, think of the karma: Mick hounded out of Dublin in 2002 after a 2-1 home defeat to Switzerland…

Like myself you are calling for the inclusion of Byrne. Even a cameo appearance in Georgia would have boosted him for the Swiss game. With Byrne's potential in mind, it should be said that none of Hendrick, Whelan or Hourihane should be considered ahead of him, but we all know they will.

third policeman
14/10/2019, 12:53 PM
All of what you say is on point, especially about midfield, but there is way more to it than that. People are talking about Connolly like he is going to take on 11 Swiss players on his own and win the game for us. The most important thing about tomorrow night is the game plan. We know we're going to be under long periods of pressure so who are the players to spring a counter attack? Who is the midfielder to demand the ball and hit crisp passes?

Byrne!!

mark12345
14/10/2019, 12:58 PM
Would also like to see Cullen or Browne start. Cullen has a lot of energy in the middle and he can also pick a pass. Browne is also a better option at this point than any of our current midfielders

mark12345
14/10/2019, 12:59 PM

Byrne!!

Yes Byrne

centre mid
14/10/2019, 1:02 PM
Hendrick hasn't played well since the 2016 Euros, he was walking at times on Saturday. Looked to have little interest, maybe that's a little unfair but that's how it looked. A fit McCarthy has to be a better option, he played for Palace in their last match.

I'd play Connolly on the left as Kenny did during the Toulon tournament, he's the closest I'd seen to a Duff type player, caused huge problems to each right back he was up against.

brine3
14/10/2019, 1:40 PM
Hendrick is one of our most natural midfielders, but I feel that he is indeed getting frustrated at having to play stoneage football.

He's one that Stephen Kenny could revive...

I'd play 4-5-1 of some sort with three in the centre of the park. Hendrick, McCarthy and... one of the new lads. I feel that Whelan slows the whole game down to his level. We were lucky he was suspended against Germany back in 2015. MON would have picked him otherwise.

James McCarthy though, Hodgson was saying he's not ready for a weekly 90 minutes just yet.

brine3
14/10/2019, 1:46 PM
I'd play Connolly on the left as Kenny did during the Toulon tournament, he's the closest I'd seen to a Duff type player, caused huge problems to each right back he was up against.

Mick not going to do that. Remember how many times he played Duff up front or on the right (!). All so he could have Kilbane covering for Harte.

Any sane manager would have recognised that Duff is one of the key players and needs to be played in his natural position, and then you make the team fit around that.

geysir
14/10/2019, 2:02 PM
Hendrick is one of our most natural midfielders, but I feel that he is indeed getting frustrated at having to play stoneage football.

He's one that Stephen Kenny could revive...
Hendrick is anything but a natural midfielder, at least he's not a central midfielder, a player who moves into space to make himself available to receive the ball and distribute. When the opposition have the ball he tends towards anonymity, or just ghosting alongside an opposing player.
His midfield performance v Georgia was 'vague' 'vacant' 'meandering', take your pick or choose all 3, that performance had little to do with stone age football.
I don't know about Kenny being the panacea for all midfield woes, there was no appointed CM role v Italy, though on occasion a player drifted in and appeared to take responsibility but then drift out. When the Italians pressed high, the CM role often disappeared.

The obvious best available replacement for Hendrick is Byrne. But I'd tend towards a 4231 with Whelan and McCarthy together behind Byrne.

brine3
14/10/2019, 4:25 PM
Hendrick was amazing in games where we tried to play football. Usually when Hoolahan was on the pitch. Germany at home, Sweden at home. Hendrick is not a Giles/Keane type who is going to dictate the midfield, but he can be a very good midfielder when he is playing next to good players. Then he shows for the ball and passes on to others. People who say he hasn't played well since 2016 are also conveniently forgetting his MOTM performance in the Wales away match.

Diggs246
14/10/2019, 5:55 PM
He wasn't MOTM against Wales. His assist was absolutely excellent though for the goal

passinginterest
14/10/2019, 8:12 PM
I’ve a feeling it’s going to be 4-4-2 against the Swiss. Connolly in for Robinson to play alongside Collins. Hendrick moving to the right. Stevens back in at left back.

Would make sense seeing as we won’t try play through the middle. Connolly will work back to make the extra man when defending.

pineapple stu
14/10/2019, 8:51 PM
Just watched Bulgaria get utterly destroyed by England at home tonight. 6-0 the final score; England hit the post three times as well.

Part of my recent improved hopes were based on a decent performance at home against Bulgaria last month, when we won 3-1 with two late goals. But that result looks nothing special at all now. More worried about tomorrow night now instead.

mark12345
14/10/2019, 9:04 PM

Just watched Bulgaria get utterly destroyed by England at home tonight. 6-0 the final score; England hit the post three times as well.

Part of my recent improved hopes were based on a decent performance at home against Bulgaria last month, when we won 3-1 with two late goals. But that result looks nothing special at all now. More worried about tomorrow night now instead.

Nothing to be worried about. Mick said he will be happy with a draw.

Real ale Madrid
15/10/2019, 7:15 AM
Everybody would be happy with a draw. If we get a draw tonight then Denmark are through. We need that point!

tricky_colour
15/10/2019, 7:43 AM
Long time since we have beaten the Swiss away from home. If indeed we ever have.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2019, 7:44 AM
Everybody would be happy with a draw. If we get a draw tonight then Denmark are through. We need that point!Anyone remember when we blew a 3-1 lead away to Poland for Euro 92 qualification, and drew 3-3? Poznan I think. Charlton put a positive spin on it, that it kept Poland with something to play for against England in the last game because we needed England to lose. Or something like that.

Wishing for a draw tonight feels a bit like that to me. Sure, take a draw if it’s what we end up with but this is the kind of day the old gits on this forum used to dream about. A win and we qualify. With a game to spare. And another game to follow as a back-up.

It used to always be if we won away and Luxembourg put 5 past Spain, and France didn’t beat Russia and all that kind of rubbish.

Come on, this is massive.

Of course we are utterly abject :). A pal of mine texted me last night to say we need to abandon all pretence at being a modern footy team tonight. Go 442 and go 1990s Neanderthal again. I kind of agree, though I’d love a slick 4312 to do the job.

Real ale Madrid
15/10/2019, 8:15 AM
Anyone remember when we blew a 3-1 lead away to Poland for Euro 92 qualification, and drew 3-3? Poznan I think. Charlton put a positive spin on it, that it kept Poland with something to play for against England in the last game because we needed England to lose. Or something like that.

Wishing for a draw tonight feels a bit like that to me. Sure, take a draw if it’s what we end up with but this is the kind of day the old gits on this forum used to dream about. A win and we qualify. With a game to spare. And another game to follow as a back-up.

It used to always be if we won away and Luxembourg put 5 past Spain, and France didn’t beat Russia and all that kind of rubbish.

Come on, this is massive.

Of course we are utterly abject :). A pal of mine texted me last night to say we need to abandon all pretence at being a modern footy team tonight. Go 442 and go 1990s Neanderthal again. I kind of agree, though I’d love a slick 4312 to do the job.

This is a bit different though. If we held on against Poland that night we were through.

We have zero chance of beating Switzerland. Switerland might have lost on Saturday but only due to a phenomenal performance by Schmeichel in goal and the woodwork. They are going to kill us at home. We will need Duffy to channel his inner Richard Moscow Dunne if we are to have any hope. This idea that we should 'go for it' away to them is asking for big trouble. Our only hope is play to our strengths and hope we nick a set piece goal. Hence why I'd be ecstatic with a draw.

centre mid
15/10/2019, 8:47 AM

Bulgaria had made 10 changes to the side that lost 4-0 to England a few days before our friendly against them as well, so its of even less value tbh.

centre mid
15/10/2019, 8:50 AM
This is a bit different though. If we held on against Poland that night we were through.

We have zero chance of beating Switzerland. Switerland might have lost on Saturday but only due to a phenomenal performance by Schmeichel in goal and the woodwork. They are going to kill us at home. We will need Duffy to channel his inner Richard Moscow Dunne if we are to have any hope. This idea that we should 'go for it' away to them is asking for big trouble. Our only hope is play to our strengths and hope we nick a set piece goal. Hence why I'd be ecstatic with a draw.

I think we are actually better defensively organised than Denmark tbf. Not that I think we'll beat them but we'll hopefully not cough up as many chances as Denmark did.

youngirish
15/10/2019, 10:12 AM
This is the day Aaron Connolly announces himself on the world stage as the best player of his generation with a hatrick against the Swiss in a 3-1 win for Ireland. He along with Parrot and Idah will dominate international headlines for the next decade as the multiple Ballon d'Or winners lead Ireland to successive World Cup wins and result in the Ireland 2020s team to be rightly crowned the best team of all time.

Fixer82
15/10/2019, 10:21 AM
Jack Byrne dropped from match day squad FFS!!!

Yard of Pace
15/10/2019, 10:37 AM
Jack Byrne dropped from match day squad FFS!!! Disciplinary reasons? Whatever, not good..... Yesterday, I took a break from being excited and remembered how Ireland were a year ago. Less than a year ago. They were probably the worst Ireland I had seen since I started watching in 1987. Now we're unbeaten in the group and if we beat Suisse tonight (not Portugal, Germany, Netherlands, France....) we qualify. I think that that progression to go from getting hammered by bloody Wales of all teams is worthy of a lot of respect. And whatever happens in the next two games, it cannot kill the excitement of what is to come from the young lads coming through and a manager who has earned respect and goodwill already through his transformation of the U-21s. All that said, please please please let me let me let me get what I want tonight.

sbgawa
15/10/2019, 10:45 AM
Jack Byrne dropped from match day squad FFS!!!

FFS apparently dropped as Enda Stevens is back from suspension.
So if we are 1 down with 20 minutes to go and need a bit of creativity we send on................
I actually cant wait to see the back of McCarthy and playing the **** football we do , do we even really want to be at the Euros.
Like doing a cannonball at the Olympic diving competition.
And thats not just because Jack Byrne is dropped , he probably would'nt have got on anyway, all that playing the ball forward against Bulgaria clearly went against him.
Go for a nice walk tonight while the team put on a "typically Irish brave display" of kicking the ball away.

Bring on Stephen Kenny.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2019, 10:45 AM
Byrne. FFS indeed.

mark12345
15/10/2019, 10:49 AM
This is the day Aaron Connolly announces himself on the world stage as the best player of his generation with a hatrick against the Swiss in a 3-1 win for Ireland. He along with Parrot and Idah will dominate international headlines for the next decade as the multiple Ballon d'Or winners lead Ireland to successive World Cup wins and result in the Ireland 2020s team to be rightly crowned the best team of all time.

Would be nice if all of that happened. At least you have a fighting attitude rather than setting for a draw like too many of us are, including the manager. Counter attack is the biggest thing Switzerland will fear tonight and we need to frighten the life out of them in that respect.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2019, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I assumed there was an issue with Byrne. It's just a numbers thing though, no? Stevens returns, Byrne makes way. Yopper led me to think it was for other reasons!

backstothewall
15/10/2019, 11:04 AM
I actually cant wait to see the back of McCarthy and playing the **** football we do , do we even really want to be at the Euros.

Yes. We do. In my case I want to do that much more than engage in a League of Ireland vanity project by picking a guy who has 1 senior cap to play central midfield in a game which is difficult and vital in equal measure.

It's Jack Byrne FFS. The way people are talking about him you would think he was one of the first names on the team sheet at Real Madrid.

sbgawa
15/10/2019, 11:10 AM
With or without JB our football is pathetic.
It just sums up McCarthy that he would pick a creative player to drop from the squad rather then any number of "battlers"
I'm not suggesting JB should start and didn't even expect him to get on...it just sums up the attitude.
roll on WC 2022 qualification matches

Fixer82
15/10/2019, 11:14 AM
Yes. We do. In my case I want to do that much more than engage in a League of Ireland vanity project by picking a guy who has 1 senior cap to play central midfield in a game which is difficult and vital in equal measure.

It's Jack Byrne FFS. The way people are talking about him you would think he was one of the first names on the team sheet at Real Madrid.

In his one international cap, Jack Byrne did what most of the rest of our midfield had never done.
If we’re chasing a goal and need a creative spark, I’d like to bring on Byrne rather than Derrick Williams

backstothewall
15/10/2019, 11:20 AM
In his one international cap, Jack Byrne did what most of the rest of our midfield had never done.
If we’re chasing a goal and need a creative spark, I’d like to bring on Byrne rather than Derrick Williams

In the last 15 minutes against a second string Bulgarian side whose 1st XI are bobbins. Collins looked a terrific striker at the same time but looked totally out of his depth against Georgia.

Stuttgart88
15/10/2019, 11:35 AM
Bulgaria may have been awful, but do we really think any of our other players would have looked better?

None did against Gibraltar!

sbgawa
15/10/2019, 11:35 AM
Its not about JB its about that "type" of player and how we prefer any amount of water carriers to someone with a bit of creativity.
We have consistently picked managers who think our players cant play football are crap and the only way to win is to go backs to the wall and try and knick a goal while the greatest fans in the world sing Ole Ole Ole.
specifically on Byrne, against a brutal Bulgarian team he may have been flattered as they were so poor but how do all the other players on the pitch for Ireland that night who did'nt affect the game in any way get to play and make the bench tonight.......

jbyrne
15/10/2019, 11:59 AM
Its not about JB its about that "type" of player and how we prefer any amount of water carriers to someone with a bit of creativity.
We have consistently picked managers who think our players cant play football are crap and the only way to win is to go backs to the wall and try and knick a goal while the greatest fans in the world sing Ole Ole Ole.

who exactly has the creativity that we could actually pick that isn't being picked? I watched a few big rovers matches this season and Jack Byrne didn't dominate any of them.
micks 98 to 2002 teams played some great football but he had the players to do it and probably the best central midfielder in Europe at the time to enable him do so.

We are away to one of the best teams in Europe tonight. our only hope is to bore the life out of the swiss and hope to get a goal along the way

Diggs246
15/10/2019, 12:07 PM
who exactly has the creativity that we could actually pick that isn't being picked? I watched a few big rovers matches this season and Jack Byrne didn't dominate any of them.
micks 98 to 2002 teams played some great football but he had the players to do it and probably the best central midfielder in Europe at the time to enable him do so.

We are away to one of the best teams in Europe tonight. our only hope is to bore the life out of the swiss and hope to get a goal along the way

This might be way off but I wonder if Dan Crowleys application to FIFA had been submitted when it should have been, which would have been before Ryan Johansson- gate would he now be an option for us
We know they gave the green light to Callum Robinson who is on the same boat.

backstothewall
15/10/2019, 12:15 PM
Bulgaria may have been awful, but do we really think any of our other players would have looked better?

None did against Gibraltar!

There is an assumption there that Byrne would have looked any better against Gibraltar. But in any case it's irrelevant. The tail end of a friendly v Bulgaria in Dublin, an qualifier against a Gibraltar and a crucial away game in Geneva are about as different from each other as it's possible for 3 games to be.

If Connolly comes in I assume whoever misses out would be the attacking option from the bench. Otherwise Connolly would be that option. But it only comes into play if we are behind. If we are level we take our point and get back to Dublin.

I find it interesting that so many of the same people saying Whelan should be out because he's now playing in Scotland seem happy to ignore the fact Byrne failed to pull up many trees at the same level.

The reality is that the back 5 pick themselves. There are tight calls everywhere else. That being the case I can see that whatever Mick goes with it's a tight call and it could have gone either way.

There are 2 massive games to go. Let's just get behind them FFS.

Yard of Pace
15/10/2019, 12:23 PM
Sorry, I assumed there was an issue with Byrne. It's just a numbers thing though, no? Stevens returns, Byrne makes way. Yopper led me to think it was for other reasons! Yopper asks you, with all due respect, to go back and notice the question mark at the of the first two words!

Stuttgart88
15/10/2019, 1:18 PM
Noted!