PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Cork Gigs

razor
11/05/2005, 12:43 PM
May 19th Thursday Peter Hook (New Order) DJ Set, Savoy Theatre, Doors 9pm Free before 11pm €5 after 11pm

May 20th Friday The Futureheads, Savoy Theatre, Doors 9pm Heineken Sessions Invite Only

May 26th Thursday The Ramonas (Ramones all girl tribute), Cypress Ave, Doors: 9pm

May 27th Friday The Music of Joy Division - tribute, Cypress Ave, Doors: 9pm

May 29th Sunday Stipe - REM tribute, Old Oak, Doors: 9pm

June 2nd Thursday Jarvis Cocker DJ Set, Savoy Theatre, Doors 9pm Free before 11pm €5 after 11pm plus live bands in the foyer

June 5th Sunday Trashcan Sinatras+ The Lovegods, Cypress Ave, Doors: 9pm

June 6th Monday The LA's, Savoy Theatre, Doors: 10pm Tickets 22.50

June 6th Monday British Sea Power+ Sons & Daughters, Cypress Ave, Doors: 9pm Tickets: €15

June 11th Saturday The Devlins, Cypress Ave, Doors: 9pm

June 17th Friday The Complete Stone Roses Nancy Spains,Cork 9pm Advance Tickets 13.50e

Gerrit
11/05/2005, 8:01 PM
May I just ask: what is it with Ireland and tribute bands ??

Since I moved to Ireland I've seen more gigs of tribute bands announced than ever before in my life. U2 tribute, Metallica tribute, Smiths tribute, Joy Division tribute, Led Zepellin tribute, Pink Floyd tribute, Ramones tribute, Iron Maiden tribute, ...

Apart from the fact that I don't doubt that those bands have talented musicians in them, isn't this a bit of the "nothing beats the real thing" case ?? I like bands such as The Smiths and Joy Division, but I would find it strange to go to a gig with their music but without seeing Morrissey/Ian Curtis on stage.

In Belfast there's a huge U2 tribute gig coming up soon... Nice ersatz as U2 are not playing in Belfast, but even so, I can't imagine local U2 fans would not rather drive south to see the real U2 instead of seeing a Bono-lookalike trying to sound exactly the same...

CollegeTillIDie
11/05/2005, 11:19 PM
Gerrit

In some cases the real bands never play here and never will, in other cases some of the original members are dead, and in all cases, the tickets are better priced!

noby
12/05/2005, 8:04 AM
Ramones all girl tribute

That sounds class.

Tough choice to make on June 6th

The Good Son
12/05/2005, 8:38 PM
Tough choice to make on June 6th

Both gigs are being promoted by Cypress Avenue and from what I can gather the British Sea Power gig will be starting after The La's finish.So it's only a matter of crossing the road if you wanted to see both.