PDA

View Full Version : "Informal" interview

Troy.McClure
11/05/2005, 11:58 AM
Ive just got invited for an "informal" interview for an entery level job in a biochem lab. This is the first time Im going for a propper job & Im just wondering, whats an informal interview? Should I put on a suit or the Sunday best, and should I bring any sort of documents (degree etc) with me? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Im totally clueless here :o

stojkovic
11/05/2005, 12:03 PM
Ive just got invited for an "informal" interview for an entery level job in a biochem lab. This is the first time Im going for a propper job & Im just wondering, whats an informal interview? Should I put on a suit or the Sunday best, and should I bring any sort of documents (degree etc) with me? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Never had one.
Where is it.
If in an office/lab environment - wear a suit or jacket but no tie.

If he's taking you out to lunch or pub, then I guess casual would do.

Yes always bring documents to show you are prepared. Even if you are not asked for them its still good to have them with you.

Best of luck

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 12:11 PM
mate speaking from experience open collar is fine, prolly wouldnt even need a suit jacket.

informal pretty much means that you are right for the job and they pretty much have you as their no 1 candidate, they just want to get to know you and ask you certain questions like what projects have you done, what things do you like to do, what hours are you used to etc.

Informal at most would mean smart casual dress code.

if i were you i would be opening up the champagne already.

have you done a masters or anything/have this company used something you have created etc. that maybe why he has called it an informal interview.

always good to have some sorta documentation with you in a nice cover by cover i mean not necessarily briefcase but something black for storing hard backs etc.

pete
11/05/2005, 12:21 PM
Think only done one those once before & that was just meeting in hotel for cup of coffee so not an interview.

Suit would sound like overkill but NO.1 rule of interviews is you can never be overdressed but you can be underdressed. Likewise overdressed will never lose you a job but underdressed could.
I'd go with smart casual, collar, tie would be no harm & could have jacket too.

Colm55
11/05/2005, 12:22 PM

Generally entry level positions are informal interviews, I did one two years ago for the job i'm in now and it was like a chat with the lads, all i talked about was playing soccer, GAA and the like, a few technical questions about my degree, working within a team enviornment etc, i wore the suit to make a good first impression, its more professional and respectable.

Mr. O shea above, pretty much has it spot on, only i'd wear the suit.

Babysis
11/05/2005, 12:26 PM
Ok, I work in recruitment but im no expert, but I will give you my opinion.

1) Always wear a suit unless told otherwise - First impressions count, informal or not

2) This will still be an interview. It will just be a different format. They will be wanting to find out more about you, and will expect you to have questions for them - Look at it as an information gathering excercise.

3) Bring your documents, do your research (If necessary - depends on the role).

4) Treat this as a proper interview. Dont let yourself down by taking your eye off the ball.

I hope that helps - Thats what I tell my guys when they go for informal interviews. You will be sound. Dont worry. :)

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 12:31 PM
ya well said above.

Macy
11/05/2005, 12:34 PM
I would take informal just to mean not sitting one side of desk with a panel of interviewers the other. Treat your prep and dress as if it were though.

Pretty much as the expert Babysis says I suppose, although never trust recruitment consultants if your looking for them to put you in for jobs you actually tell them you want ;) ...

Babysis
11/05/2005, 12:39 PM
I would take informal just to mean not sitting one side of desk with a panel of interviewers the other. Treat your prep and dress as if it were though.

Pretty much as the expert Babysis says I suppose, although never trust recruitment consultants if your looking for them to put you in for jobs you actually tell them you want ;) ...

ah ha, but you see thats why Im differnt. I do listen. Im the caring sharing headhunter.

I place recruitment consultants, so think of the rubbish I have to put up with.

Best advice is to treat every stage of an interview as a first interview. if in doubt go formal. Usually works. :)

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 12:39 PM
although never trust recruitment consultants if your looking for them to put you in for jobs you actually tell them you want

ya!! LOL

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 12:50 PM
if in doubt..

..pull it out :D

Babysis
11/05/2005, 12:51 PM
..pull it out :D

What are you four??? :rolleyes: :D

Peadar
11/05/2005, 12:59 PM
If it's an American company and they say "Informal" then you don't need to wear a suit.
Wear a shirt, trousers and clean shoes.
If you must wear a jacket, keep it plain and non descript.
Don't slouch in your seat and if they offer you a chance to ask questions, ask some.
If you've followed the advice of Babysis above, you'll have plenty questions to ask.
Be interested, enthusiastic, confident and polite.
They should have a copy of your CV since they've invited you so there isn't really any need to bring anything with you.
If they require anything, you'll be given the chance to supply it later.

If you have any specific questions, ring them to confirm the interview, location etc. and then ask, "is there anything I need to bring with me?"

Good luck with it kid.

Babysis
11/05/2005, 1:11 PM
Well there you go Troy. Plenty of Information, your probably no better off then when you started. :D

As long as your prepared, Im sure you will do great. You can only try your best after all :) Good Luck

strangeirish
11/05/2005, 1:15 PM
Always dress your best for an interview, informal or not. Def bring any doc's you have, i.e. CV etc.. It would be very embarrassing if you were asked for something you did not bring.

Going back to the dress thing, first impressions last longest. A canidate that took the time to dress to impress would get my attention versus the casually dressed canidate, which may be construed as being lazy. Good luck. You should have no problem with all the good advice that everyone has passed along.

Oh, and one more thing, you have two ears and one mouth. Use them accordingly.

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 1:33 PM
Going back to the dress thing, first impressions last longest. A canidate that took the time to dress to impress would get my attention versus the casually dressed canidate, which may be construed as being lazy. Good luck. You should have no problem with all the good advice that everyone has passed along.

true, depending on the person/company ( it doesnt necessarily matter if its an american company) they may say informal to see will you still make an effort, so best to take the above advice. some times the informal part in the way you present yourself can be a little trick on their part. i.e. can you always rely on this person to look/do their best and make the effort.

Peadar
11/05/2005, 1:38 PM
some times the informal part in the way you present yourself can be a little trick on their part. i.e. can you always rely on this person to look/do their best and make the effort.

I have yet to come across a company who was trying to trick candidates.
If you wear a tie and you're the only one, then you can always take it off and put it in your pocket.

Just tell yourself, 'I am going to get this job!'
You'll be grand.

tiktok
11/05/2005, 1:44 PM
I have yet to come across a company who was trying to trick candidates.

You do occasionally get thrown a curve though.

A HR manager once asked me what I did in my spare time, when I mentioned I followed City, he said ''I always consider Irish football a Garrison game''. it was a pure attempt to throw me.

I got the job though

Peadar
11/05/2005, 1:48 PM
he said ''I always consider Irish football a Garrison game''.

I got the job though

It would surely have been descrimination if you didn't!?

I've given hundreds of technical interviews and usually keep them informal.
It's all about the persons attitude.
There's a job to be done and I want to know that the person we hire is going to do it for us.

Eire06
11/05/2005, 1:48 PM
I'd say a nice shirt and trousers would do, suit jacket to be safe but no tie...

Bring all you can with you in a folder, even if they don't ask you for anything makes you look organised and well prepaired can't do any harm...

On the other hand
a short skirt, low top and a big smile will always work!! :D

Babysis
11/05/2005, 1:49 PM
On the other hand

See perfect attitude - I could place you in a second :D

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 1:52 PM
a short skirt, low top and a big smile will always work!!

does that not depend who you are being interviewed by?

Eire06
11/05/2005, 1:53 PM
does that not depend who you are being interviewed by?
Nope... :eek:
Works every time ;)

Babysis
11/05/2005, 1:55 PM
Nope... :eek:
Works every time ;)
Prett girls get far in recruitment - or so the 7 fellas I work with keep saying! They place nice looking girls quicker :D

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 1:56 PM
There's a job to be done and I want to know that the person we hire is going to do it for us.

peadar, thats because it is probably project work you are looking for, just to get something done, so you dont care who or what they do so long as they get the job done for you. he is going for a different interview. from when you first shake a managers hand, if its a city job, whether or not its a bank/consulting/software whatever, they will always be summing you up and will throw you a few feelers.

also it would be very hard to prove discrimination in that case.

pete
11/05/2005, 1:58 PM
Ok, I work in recruitment but im no expert, but I will give you my opinion.

Oh no. In my experience knowledge of recruitment consultants varies greatly. Some very knowledgeable & give idea they know what they doing - others particularily in the boom days here were just chancers.

Best advice i ever had was never to trust recruitment consultants. never be fully truthful to them so just yell them what they want to hear as will pass onto their client (Employer) anyway.

Enthuasism will get anyone a long way in interviews.

While good to bring CV & other details with you to interview you should not need to have CV open in front of you. Its your CV so should know it backwards.

paul_oshea
They place nice looking girls quicker

please dont take this the wrong way or bite my head off, as i dont mean this in a patronising way but it might sound like that :o , but im sure these are less technical jobs/jobs that require a lot of interpersonal skills and face to face communication if ye know what i mean.

fosterdollar
If you wear a tie and you're the only one, then you can always take it off and put it in your pocket.

Just don't make it look like you're doing some sort of Full Monty on them.

strangeirish
11/05/2005, 2:01 PM
On the other hand

And a "I can't believe they are Mine" bra...... :D

Babysis
11/05/2005, 2:04 PM
please dont take this the wrong way or bite my head off, as i dont mean this in a patronising way but it might sound like that :o , but im sure these are less technical jobs/jobs that require a lot of interpersonal skills and face to face communication if ye know what i mean.

Its not something i deal with - Most of my candidates are fellas - nature of the market im in. The roles my colleagues work are £50K basic salries in many cases. these women might be atractive, but they are nails and can buy and sell most of us. :D

Eire06
11/05/2005, 2:05 PM
And a "I can't believe they are Mine" bra...... :D
Oh ya and make sure you bring a pencil.....

.. For accidently dropping when a though question is asked and bending over to pic it up, Works a charm with all male interviewers guaranteed to forget what they are asking ;)

Peadar
11/05/2005, 2:08 PM
On the other hand

I don't think he was going for a job as a receptionist so your experiences are probably not very relevant here.

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 2:08 PM
For accidently dropping when a though question is asked and bending over to pic it up, Works a charm with all male interviewers guaranteed to forget what they are askin

any why dont you just jump on the table and open your legs while you are at it :rolleyes:

drinkfeckarse
11/05/2005, 2:10 PM
Im the caring sharing headhunter.

Now I've told you before that that comment could lead you into all sorts of trouble ;) :D

Babysis
11/05/2005, 2:12 PM
Is it really much different to a fella flirting with a female interviewer?? I wouldnt reccommend any of it. If you cant get the job on your own ability, then its not worth putting them forward really. But most fellas like a good candiate, and a pretty face :D

strangeirish
11/05/2005, 2:18 PM
Jaysus, poor Troy is going to think this interview is for transgendered experimentation by the time we are all done with him :D I can see it now, a nicely ironed shirt, tie, leather mini skirt, knee high boots, fish net tights and a lollipop!

tiktok
11/05/2005, 2:23 PM
Oh no. In my experience knowledge of recruitment consultants varies greatly. Some very knowledgeable & give idea they know what they doing - others particularily in the boom days here were just chancers.

I think it depends on whether the person has a background in the field you're applying to. If you've got that, the agent can be a great help.

Just today my 'significant other' ;) was told that by a recruiter that she wasn't suitable for a job by one recruitment agency after anotgher has put her forward for the same job.
The former didn't really understand the job she was applying for to be perfectly honest.

On that note, has anyone else ever been scolded by a recruiter for not taking a job :D :D

Babysis
11/05/2005, 2:32 PM

Best advice i ever had was never to trust recruitment consultants. never be fully truthful to them so just yell them what they want to hear as will pass onto their client (Employer) anyway.

Enthuasism will get anyone a long way in interviews.

While good to bring CV & other details with you to interview you should not need to have CV open in front of you. Its your CV so should know it backwards.

Ok, well if your any good in recruitment you dont need to lie!

If someone lies, how can i know what they really need, or where they would be best suited?

Personnaly I pride myself on not lying - Far too much effort, and as a result im building up very good relationships, but everyones different in their approach I guess. :D

Green Tribe
11/05/2005, 3:09 PM
Well Troy, all the best with it, hope it goes well, let us know how you get on. Relax and enjoy it, if it is an informal interview.

Green Tribe
11/05/2005, 3:11 PM
Oh ya and make sure you bring a pencil.....

.. For accidently dropping when a though question is asked and bending over to pic it up, Works a charm with all male interviewers guaranteed to forget what they are asking ;)

:eek: :D You should write a book about this! ;) :D

Bluebeard
11/05/2005, 3:19 PM
It reminds me of those first job interviews I used to go to - I was utterly clueless, and any mates I had were either all in the same boat as fresh graduates, or folk who ended up in jobs that never needed interview in the first place.

Looking back I wonder that I ever passed as fit for employment - ah, the carefree outlook / bravado / arrogance / rank stupidity of youth!

Best of luck with the interview :)

Troy.McClure
11/05/2005, 3:32 PM
There's some strange strange comments on this thread!

Thanks for all ye're help. The job is just for a research assistant in a biochem lab in UCC (12 month contract). Im just finishing off a masters now so hopefully that should help. I get the impression that he wants to know a bit more about what projects Ive done & to see that Im not a psyco (short skirt and push up bra ideas gone out the window now :p )

Babysis
11/05/2005, 3:50 PM

Thanks for all ye're help. The job is just for a research assistant in a biochem lab in UCC (12 month contract). Im just finishing off a masters now so hopefully that should help. I get the impression that he wants to know a bit more about what projects Ive done & to see that Im not a psyco (short skirt and push up bra ideas gone out the window now :p )

He should want to check your a cultural fit.

You might look good on paper, but he will want to see your human, and have a bit of go in you. You will be fine. Good luck, you will have to let us know how you get on :)

paul_oshea
11/05/2005, 6:35 PM
what projects Ive done

who was right??? who who??? :p :p hehe

good luck troy sounds like you will be grand. and don't forget if he asks ye if you have any weaknesses, tell him you are a bit of a perfectionist.

Jim Smith
11/05/2005, 11:16 PM

In this case he has almost certainly been in touch with your supervisor (in UCD?) so will know about the work you have done so don't dress it up too much ;) I'd imagine that if they didn't think you could do the job then they wouldn't bother to talk to you. They are probably trying to see if you will fit in with the team that they have already. Years ago I did a Masters degree and a few months in asked my supervisor what they had been looking for in the interview and he replied that the main thing was that I wasn't going to be OK to work with and actually wanted to do the thing and not just go on the ****.
Just be yourself and ask about the work that you will be doing and the team you will be working with.
I'd wear a collar and tie if I were you. If, like me, your not used to wearing that sort of thing put it on for a while a bit before so you become more comfortable in it. I don't like wearing a suit so I don't relax in one. Net result is that I look ridgid like a bouncer until I relax a bit.

Anyway, good luck!