PDA

View Full Version : Dublins Moore Street to go !!

A face
09/05/2005, 11:08 PM
So Dublins Moore Street is to be no more .... the Dublin City manager has raised the rates for the sellers on the street in an effort to get rid of them on the street. The City manager has said it is unsightly and said the people of Dublin want a high street similar to any of the cities in England. The sellers have had their day and now progress is asking them to move on.

The sellers claim that they have been there for generations and that they are just one of the characteristics of Dublin that make the city unique and the street is part of the fabric of peoples culture.

What to the Dubs think of that ??
Are ye in favour of getting rid of one of your lands marks for a few new high street franchises ??
Are you all in favour of getting rid if your identity ??

aido_b
09/05/2005, 11:15 PM
My Nan used to sell on Moore St. Its lost a lot of its character recently due to the amount of shops that have sprung up on it but I'd never like to see it go. Its still real nice to walk down Moore St and have a chat with all the oulwans. They're all real Dubs and its a pity that the council are acting the bllox with them. None of them will pay it though, and theres nothin the council can do about it. If they try and move them then they'll get nothing but grief off half of Dublin! :D

pete
09/05/2005, 11:18 PM
If i was a retailer forking out huge rents i'd be a bit annoyed auld wans could sit outsdie on the street with stalls paying a fraction of the rates.

Stalls only really work if no other shops onj the same street or in large square.

A face
09/05/2005, 11:26 PM
then they'll get nothing but grief off half of Dublin! :D

Ahh people said that too about the bin charges !!

paul_oshea
09/05/2005, 11:37 PM
i think its a disgrace, ireland is changing and chaning for the worst.

"alls changed changed utterly"

aido_b
09/05/2005, 11:47 PM
Ahh people said that too about the bin charges !!

ah the bin charges are just accepted now, its gas watching all the little skangers from the areas legging it around with plastic bags throwing them into other peoples bins!

Nah Moore St won't go, there will be uproar. Can't see Bertie being too keen on it either seeing as he's a "true dub". They were meant to redeveop the whole area a while back but not much was done, the ILAC centre next door is getting a facelift at the moment so I reckon they'll do moore st then.

As for the prices they're paying, all of the shops around the stalls belong to foreigners and the Ladies in Moore st have been around a lot longer then they have so they can't kick up a fuss!

Macy
10/05/2005, 7:38 AM
It's one of the most multicultural parts of the city, and now the manager wants it redeveloped? Hmmmm....

fosterdollar
10/05/2005, 7:52 AM
I'd like to see what the redevelopment involves. It would be pretty short sighted of the city council not to allow the stall owners a part to play in it.

Bluebeard
10/05/2005, 10:04 AM
It has been on the cards for a few years now, and it is a crying shame - I really don't think that there will be any public outcry - we'll get promised something flash, people will say, "well, maybe" and then it will end up another Macdonalds, Carrolls on O'Connell St will extend and the next Harp Bar, be called the Market Mall and then it will be all gone for ever.

On my many travels through Europe, the oldest Market I have ever found was in Irkutsk in Siberia (Ok, I'm temporarily extending the boundaries of Europe for this, but trust me) - it claimed to be the oldest in continental Europe or whatever (again, let's play along with the new definition) having been founded in 1642 or something. Moore Street dates back to the thirteenth century, as far as I can tell.

But it doesn't matter whether it is the oldest or not, it is a vital part of Dublin's Heritage, and unlike other "vital" parts of Dublin's Heritage, there are no protection orders, state funding, concerned groups, interpretive centres, or single issue election candidates. On top of that, it is also one of the only aspects of early Norman Dublin still extant in any real sense beyond tourism, and is one of the few Dublin Traditions that is evolving - the influx of a more international community base (not simply meaning refugees, asylum seekers etc.) has led to the fare being expanded - buy your fennel, chilli peppers and yams alongside the traditional "Appils an' Ordinge-es".

If something organised isn't, uhm, well, organised, the whole shooting match will go down the swanee in the next 10 years and we'll be ****ed off for teh rest of our lives by friends who come over from Denmark and Slovenia who will say "Hey, I was here years ago and you had this great historical market - man that was really alive for sure! ... How do you mean - it is gone. Did your country not object. I cannot understand, in my country..." by which time you will not want to listen anymore.

Rant temporarily curtailed :mad:

paul_oshea
10/05/2005, 10:23 AM
bluebeard very well said.

Ringo
10/05/2005, 11:45 AM
What the area needs is something like "the English market" in Cork. Good quality produce & a clean roofed in area. The present situaion is disgusting. The cost of cleaning the area is huge. The licence fee wouldn't cover the cleaning costs.The new costs are very small for a business, which these stall holders have. The flower guy beside the spire pays €500 a year & now its to go to €1000, thats €19.23 a week, not bad for one of the best positions in the country. The stll holders have been their own worst enemies. If you think of the taxi drivers, its the same mentality. Their making a good living down there & should put something back in.

Ringo
10/05/2005, 11:48 AM
As for the prices they're paying, all of the shops around the stalls belong to foreigners and the Ladies in Moore st have been around a lot longer then they have so they can't kick up a fuss!

The don't belong to foreigners, some are rented short term. Are you saying, because their black/asian they should pay more?

paul_oshea
10/05/2005, 12:13 PM
no i knew someone would have to get on the anti-rascist pc crap when aido made that post. it has nothing to do with that. they havent been there long, it has nothing to do with what colour their skin, hair or big toe is. This is an area of great heritage and historical importance, with a song written about it that everyone knows. So for someone, whether they are foreign or from the gaeltacht to come in and expect that they be moved cos they all of a sudden find them an eye sore is ludacris. I think they should have more rights than those newbies coming in. simple as that.

A face
10/05/2005, 12:29 PM
On my many travels through Europe, the oldest Market I have ever found was in Irkutsk in Siberia (Ok, I'm temporarily extending the boundaries of Europe for this, but trust me) - it claimed to be the oldest in continental Europe or whatever (again, let's play along with the new definition) having been founded in 1642 or something. Moore Street dates back to the thirteenth century, as far as I can tell.

That is a very good point ...... Dublin have a chance to hang onto something that is wholly unique about the city ..... All over Europe there are markets, some resident, some are one day markets every week/month and they are not only great selling points of the city’s character .... it is also a great spot where the guy on the street can walk down and purchase goods that are not produced, preserved, packaged and push into the consumers face like a lot of the high street "we've got a microwave dinner for every minute of the day" type stores.

Getting rid or the street is be conforming !!
It would be signing up to an identity that would make the city the same as every other, where the urban planner is reading from a book and it is the same book as all of the other new cities around Europe.

One of the biggest mistakes every to be made in Cork was to get rid of all the canals …. The single biggest mistake !! It was a smaller version of Venice, except it would have been there for the next 1000 years and would not be sinking like Venice. We I as small I can remember loads of stuff that Cork had but are now gone. There was a canon cemented into the ground by the fountain on Grand Parade so the boats could tie up. It was removed ….. in any other city in Europe it would be a tourist attraction yet our City manager saw fit to have it removed.

Keep the street and do not conform !!

Ringo
10/05/2005, 12:31 PM

Paddy power
Bryan the locksmith
Doyles Stores
Cousins butchers
Troys buthers
Dolphin discs
etc etc

These are all Irish businesses and have been in the street for a long time. Its not the businesses that want them moved its DCC. The fee isn't covering what it costs to clean it, simple as that. Fruit wholesalers drop pallets of rotten fruit their every day, so DCC have to dump it.

A face
10/05/2005, 12:39 PM
So for someone, whether they are foreign or from the gaeltacht to come in and expect that they be moved cos they all of a sudden find them an eye sore is ludacris.

The is room for all in any market in fairness, dont drag in down that route lads.

Ponte Vecchio in Florence, if you have been there, is one ugly bridge, there is no getting away from it.... but their biggest selling attraction, They record how many million pass over it every year, well maybe all the other sites have something to do with it too, but that is the most famous one in the city. You dont see them giving out that it is an eye sore ..... they are harassing city manager to have it cleaned and maintained. They know the passing trade and the value it has to the city. Every square in the city knows that they would get half the amount of passers by if they got rid of it.

In Ireland .... no .... get rid of it ..... if it is not modern, if it doesn't fit EU regulations it cant be good .... chuck it !! :rolleyes:

And dont even talk about Bewleys !!

Ringo
10/05/2005, 12:46 PM
The is room for all in any market in fairness, dont drag in down that route lads.

Ponte Vecchio in Florence, if you have been there, is one ugly bridge, there is no getting away from it.... but their biggest selling attraction, They record how many million pass over it every year, well maybe all the other sites have something to do with it too, but that is the most famous one in the city. You dont see them giving out that it is an eye sore ..... they are harassing city manager to have it cleaned and maintained. They know the passing trade and the value it has to the city. Every square in the city knows that they would get half the amount of passers by if they got rid of it.

In Ireland .... no .... get rid of it ..... if it is not modern, if it doesn't fit EU regulations it cant be good .... chuck it !! :rolleyes:

And dont even talk about Bewleys !!

The problem with Bewleys was , while everyone loved it & talked about how great it was , at the end of the day, they didn't go there enough to make it viable. We the customer killed bewleys. Moore Street is similar , the new Irish :rolleyes: ( PC name :D ) are the ones buying the most. Irish people don't shop there.

Bald Student
10/05/2005, 12:49 PM
Fruit wholesalers drop pallets of rotten fruit their every day, so DCC have to dump it.The street is left in a state every evening and the county council is correct to bring this to a head. If the market sellers don't voluntarily clean up after themselves the council should charge them the cost of the cleaning.

A face
10/05/2005, 1:00 PM
The street is left in a state every evening and the county council is correct to bring this to a head. If the market sellers don't voluntarily clean up after themselves the council should charge them the cost of the cleaning.

Agreed on that point .... But what are the traders doing about it ??

pete
10/05/2005, 1:57 PM
I thought Dublin City Council was closing the fruit market & re-open in English market style? Would be a good location...

Slash/ED
10/05/2005, 2:06 PM
I always hated Bewleys, if people wanted it to stick around they would have actually given it their custom.

I'd hate to see the market go though, it is part of Dublin and something unique, I'd hate the city centre simply ending up looking like a carbon copy of everywhere else.

paul_oshea
10/05/2005, 2:37 PM
here does anyone remember dustins song well he only sang it the once on tele but i always remembered it.

and she said what about breakfast at bewleys, and i said im not paying £2 for sausages.LOL :D

there was one more line but i cant remember. was very funny though and that was about 6 years ago at this stage. i worked in bewleys, was a grand place to work but it was ridiculously expensive lads, you couldnt be given it your custom every single day unless you were loaded!!

Aberdonian Stu
11/05/2005, 12:53 PM
The DCC has to play it heavy on the traders, the litter problem on Moore St has to be tackled as the rotten food is a health hazard.

On the Bewleys argument I think the nostalgia ignores the major problems it had.

I went there fairly often but I have to say the service was dire, they provided poor quality produce for the amount being paid, and it generally came across as a dreadfully run business.

The only thing I'd miss is the windows.

The consumer killed Bewleys because we were tired of being ripped off. At least when other cafés rip you off you usually get something reasonably decent and then got overcharged, Bewleys overcharged for crap and the consumer punished them accordingly.

anto eile
11/05/2005, 1:00 PM
ah the bin charges are just accepted now, its gas watching all the little skangers from the areas legging it around with plastic bags throwing them into other peoples bins!

Nah Moore St won't go, there will be uproar. Can't see Bertie being too keen on it either seeing as he's a "true dub". They were meant to redeveop the whole area a while back but not much was done, the ILAC centre next door is getting a facelift at the moment so I reckon they'll do moore st then.

as kippy as moore st is itd be sad to lose another character of the city.

bertie the real dub "come on manure and celtic"

WeAreRovers
11/05/2005, 1:18 PM
It's the multi-cultural nature of it that makes Moore St so special these days - it's my favourite street in Dublin. Loads of new arrivals starting up business and co-existing peacefully with the original businesses. I'd recommend a meal in the Korean restaurant upstairs - cheap as you like and an eating experience that you would struggle to find anywhere else in Dublin.

Just pop in to any of the butchers or talk to the women on the stalls. Everyone is happy with the current situation. And BTW of course it's a mess at the end of the day it's an open-air fruit and veg market FFS. It's typical that the people whose responsiblity it is to clean the street are the one's who want it changed. How fookin Irish is that?

KOH

A face
11/05/2005, 11:29 PM
bertie the real dub "come on manure and celtic"

Well you're the fúcker that keeps voting him in !! :(