PDA

View Full Version : 2020-21 UEFA Nations League

DeLorean
25/09/2019, 11:12 AM
So, we've avoided relegation and it's an all round better format really - https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2625412.html

UEFA Nations League

The UEFA Nations League will have a new league structure comprising 16 teams in Leagues A, B and C and 7 teams in League D, as of the 2020/21 edition. The teams are allocated to leagues based on the overall ranking (https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/competitions/UNL/02/62/52/95/2625295_DOWNLOAD.pdf) following the 2018/19 inaugural UEFA Nations League.

This change to the format follows a consultation process which involved all of UEFA's 55 national associations and reflects upon their desire to further minimise the number of friendly matches.

In addition, it enhances sporting fairness as all teams in the same group will play their last match on the same day and at the same time.

The successful concept of the Finals remains untouched, with the four group winners of League A playing each other to determine the UEFA Nations League winners.

The committee furthermore confirmed that the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League draw will take place in Amsterdam on 3 March 2020, same day and same place as the UEFA Congress 2020.

https://i2.wp.com/www.maltafootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/uefa-nations-league-ranking-2021.jpg?w=640&ssl=1

Wikipedia Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_UEFA_Nations_League_B#Group_4

Fixer82
25/09/2019, 11:17 AM
Still don’t fully get it

zero
25/09/2019, 11:18 AM
Is my understanding correct in that we will get one each of the other 3 sections above i.e. one of russia, austria wales and czech rep (top seeds in the group) and so on? There will be more games in total so I gather this means home and away legs in a 4 team group.

Some potentially interesting away days...

Fixer82
25/09/2019, 11:18 AM
Does this allow a team from the lowest league play in euros?

pineapple stu
25/09/2019, 11:25 AM
A different thread, but an interesting throw-away line at the bottom of that link -

The Executive Committee will recommend its 55 national associations and all European clubs not to play matches in countries where women have restricted access to stadiums.
They're rare enough games, but I think there's occasional random friendlies in Saudi Arabia, and of course we played Iran in 2001.

Whether the recommendation is followed through on is another matter of course. But I think it's a positive move.

Olé Olé
25/09/2019, 11:44 AM
Still don’t fully get it

Nor do I. But I don't feel too bad as UEFA clearly don't get it yet either.

IsMiseSean
25/09/2019, 11:49 AM
I'm not really sure what is going on - but groups of 4 are better than the groups of 3 in the previous NL.

Unfortunately it probably lowers our chances of playing long time rivals Oman any time soon though.

Kyle_Katarn
25/09/2019, 12:01 PM
Does this allow a team from the lowest league play in euros?

I would imagine group D will give up its play off spot for the host qualifier, for example Germany in 2024. Probably the fairest thing to do

sidewayspasser
25/09/2019, 12:29 PM
To me, this restructuring looks like an attempt to fix the "problem" that Germany got relegated to League B.

Kyle_Katarn
25/09/2019, 12:41 PM
To me, this restructuring looks like an attempt to fix the "problem" that Germany got relegated to League B.

I think most teams would be happier with 4 team groups and over all it actually even outs the groups. I don't think Germany being in League B for probably one season would really make too much of a difference to the competition, if anything it would be better for them as they would have a better chance of getting a play off if they go through a rough qualifying campaign.

NeverFeltBetter
25/09/2019, 12:47 PM
A different thread, but an interesting throw-away line at the bottom of that link -

They're rare enough games, but I think there's occasional random friendlies in Saudi Arabia, and of course we played Iran in 2001.

Whether the recommendation is followed through on is another matter of course. But I think it's a positive move.

I don't know if they are allowed into stadiums, but will UEFA extend their stance to the woman of Qatar?

pineapple stu
21/02/2020, 3:28 PM
The draw for this is on Tuesday week at 5pm.

We were saved from relegation because UEFA expanded the top tiers - some say to stop Germany being relegated, but it means 4-team groups, which makes far more sense than 3-team groups.

We're third seeds, so could have a group as tough as Wales, Serbia, Ireland, Romania, or as easy as Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, Bulgaria. Though realistically, the nature of it is that all the groups will end up being roughly the same strength.

Group D is down to 7 teams as a result of the restructure, but there's no safety net this time as it's a World Cup campaign, not a Euro campaign.

Wiki article here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_UEFA_Nations_League). The 6 games will be between Sept and Nov 2020.

IsMiseSean
22/02/2020, 12:07 PM
At least we can't be drawn with Georgia or Denmark again.

DeLorean
22/02/2020, 1:39 PM
Already a thread on this - https://foot.ie/threads/249068-2020-21-UEFA-Nations-League?highlight=nations+league

tetsujin1979
03/03/2020, 7:22 AM
Draw this evening on Virgin Media Sport in Ireland at 5. Only scheduled for an hour, so hopefully it gets straight into the draw

Details on uefa.com: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0258-0e2c81a543f9-6ea26061c2b5-1000--tuesday-2020-21-league-phase-draw/

League B
Pot 1: Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic
Pot 2: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland
Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland
Pot 4: Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania

Really don't want Russia or Austria in Pot 1. Not that Wales or Czech Republic are that much better
Wouldn't fancy Serbia from the second pot
Not much between the teams in pot 4.

SkStu
03/03/2020, 12:12 PM
Id probably take

Czech (a strong squad and a decent record recently but still probably the easiest of a difficult 4 choices plus we've seen too much of Wales recently)
Scotland (add some regional spice and not really very good)
Republic Of Ireland
Bulgaria (they've had a few poor qualifying campaigns recently, no major names really and looked uninspiring in our recent friendly)

elatedscum
03/03/2020, 2:17 PM
1) Czech Republic (avoid Russia)
2) Finland (avoid Serbia)
4) Bulgaria (avoid Romania maybe)

tetsujin1979
03/03/2020, 4:09 PM
Draw about to start
Live stream on uefa.com: https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/draws/

Diggs246
03/03/2020, 4:11 PM
Pot 2 is key avoid Serbia at all costs

Real ale Madrid
03/03/2020, 4:35 PM
Wales, Finland & Bulgaria

pineapple stu
03/03/2020, 4:37 PM
Pretty much as good as could have been hoped for, depending on what Wales team turns up I guess

Granted the other 3 will all be thinking the same thing

tetsujin1979
03/03/2020, 4:55 PM
We don't have a bad record against those teams (numbers in brackets refer to current FIFA ranking)

record vs Wales(23): played: 17, wins: 6, draws: 4, losses: 7, last win on Monday, 9 October 2017
record vs Finland(58): played: 5, wins: 3, draws: 2, losses: 0, last win on Wednesday, 21 August 2002
record vs Bulgaria(59): played: 10, wins: 3, draws: 4, losses: 3, last win on Tuesday, 10 September 2019

geysir
03/03/2020, 5:18 PM
It's a reasonable draw and a great opportunity for the new manager to prepare his team for the Qatar WC qualifiers, in 6 competitive games without the pressure of direct qualification.
Just don't get relegated though.

Razors left peg
03/03/2020, 6:37 PM
Perfect start for Kenny, competitive games that if we play well we should win.

backstothewall
03/03/2020, 7:39 PM
Anyone have any idea when the fixtures dates are going to be confirmed?

tetsujin1979
03/03/2020, 8:15 PM
Should be later tonight or tomorrow

Bottle of Tonic
04/03/2020, 5:56 AM
https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0258-0e2bb376a99e-1984c4ff291f-1000--2020-21-uefa-nations-league/

So it's more or less a stand alone tournament /league this time with the best two winners of whatever league (A, B, C, D) not already qualified for WC 2022 getting a place in a difficult 2 stage play off phase where only 3 qualify? So basically it's a bit of a lifeline to qualify for WC if you win your group but not really a great route at all.

Seems fair enough.

Kingdom
04/03/2020, 6:08 AM
From a footballing perspective it's a good draw. I'd have preferred anyone except Russia and Wales, but Wales is the better of those two.
Glad we got Finland, really glad actually, and Bulgaria are on such a downward spiral, going there first game should be a great opportunity for Stephen to put his stamp on the team.
Think the fixtures have worked out really well too.

DeLorean
04/03/2020, 7:56 AM
Thursday, 3rd September
19:45 Bulgaria v Rep of Ireland

Sunday, 6th September
17:00 Rep of Ireland v Finland

Saturday, 10th October
14:00 Rep of Ireland v Wales

Tuesday, 13th October
19:45 Finland v Rep of Ireland

Friday, 13th November
19:45 Wales v Rep of Ireland

Monday, 16th November
19:45 Rep of Ireland v Bulgaria

Times (GMT)

Full fixtures - https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/025b-0ed7e6dacfbb-9e8567b03e90-1000/2020-21_-_unl_-_fixtures_list_league.pdf%20

geysir
04/03/2020, 2:02 PM
https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0258-0e2bb376a99e-1984c4ff291f-1000--2020-21-uefa-nations-league/

So it's more or less a stand alone tournament /league this time with the best two winners of whatever league (A, B, C, D) not already qualified for WC 2022 getting a place in a difficult 2 stage play off phase where only 3 qualify? So basically it's a bit of a lifeline to qualify for WC if you win your group but not really a great route at all.

Seems fair enough.
If all Nations League A group winners qualify directly for the 2022 WC, there would be an opening for two (unqualified) League B group winners to get into the WC qual play offs. But that route in comparison would make these Euro 2020 play offs look like a garden stroll.
There are only 13 places for UEFA nations at WC 2022, 10 qual group winners, plus a meagre 3 from 12 teams in the playoffs.

Considering the home venue and group opponents that Ireland would have at Euro 2020, it's a tragedy in the making that the team might not be good enough to take their place.
Should Iceland qualify for Euro 2020, they would be in a group with France, Germany and Portugal, a bit like Muggsy Bogues in the NBA.

tetsujin1979
26/06/2020, 7:22 PM
Fixtures confirmed: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/uefa-confirm-irelands-nations-league-fixture-list

Thursday, September 3rd
Bulgaria vs Republic of Ireland (7:45pm)

Sunday, September 6th
Republic of Ireland vs Finland (5pm)

Sunday, October 11th
Republic of Ireland vs Wales (2pm)

Wednesday, October 14th
Finland vs Republic of Ireland (5pm)

Sunday, November 15th
Wales v Republic of Ireland (5pm)

Wednesday, November 18th
Republic of Ireland vs Bulgaria (7:45pm)

geysir
26/06/2020, 9:04 PM
It's more complicated with the play offs inserted and it will probably relegate the subsequent Nations League game in importance - to a hangover game.

Thursday October 8. Euro 2020 semi final
Slovakia V Ireland

Sunday, October 11th
Republic of Ireland vs Wales (2pm)

Wednesday, October 14th
Finland vs Republic of Ireland (5pm)

and if still alive, it could be a revival of A Night in November.

Thursday November 12 Euro play off final.
NI/Bosnia v Ireland

Sunday, November 15th
Wales v Republic of Ireland (5pm)

Wednesday, November 18th
Republic of Ireland vs Bulgaria (7:45pm)

tetsujin1979
25/08/2020, 1:02 PM
Welsh squad announced for their games against Finland and Bulgaria: https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/giggs-names-squad-26-opening-uefa-nations-league-matches/
https://www.faw.cymru/files/2115/9835/4687/squad_seniors.jpg

Bielsa´s irish
25/08/2020, 5:30 PM
Welsh squad announced for their games against Finland and Bulgaria: https://www.faw.cymru/en/news/giggs-names-squad-26-opening-uefa-nations-league-matches/
https://www.faw.cymru/files/2115/9835/4687/squad_seniors.jpg

not impressive

Eirambler
26/08/2020, 6:51 AM
Not really, but if Wales have shown us anything in the last five years, it's that you can get over a lot of weaknesses if you have even just a couple of standout players in your team - and the two lads that have been doing that for them time and again are in there again.

If we could even pull two players of that standard out of the crop we have coming through at the moment we'd be set for the next 10 years.

Olé Olé
26/08/2020, 7:18 AM
Brooks, Ramsey, James, Wilson, Bale, Brooks and maybe Matondo are better players than everyone in the squad aside from Ben Davies who is at their level. And that 6/7 are battling for (probably) 4 places or maybe 5 if you drop Ramsey deeper into midfield (where he isn't as good).

Olé Olé
26/08/2020, 7:22 AM
14 of the squad was born outside of Wales too- 13 in England and 1 in Germany (but grew up in England).

DeLorean
26/08/2020, 8:29 AM
I can imagine a Wales fan reading this and checking out our squad for comparison! European semi finalists, safely through again this time. We'd be fawning over ourselves if we had guys who played multiple games for Real Madrid, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc.

We're half fawning as it is with our prospects who've barely kicked a ball for Norwich and Millwall included, and lamenting the non-selection of a guy who comes off the bench for Southampton sometimes. :o

Olé Olé
26/08/2020, 9:38 AM
I can imagine a Wales fan reading this and checking out our squad for comparison! European semi finalists, safely through again this time. We'd be fawning over ourselves if we had guys who played multiple games for Real Madrid, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc.

We're half fawning as it is with our prospects who've barely kicked a ball for Norwich and Millwall included, and lamenting the non-selection of a guy who comes off the bench for Southampton sometimes. :o

I don''t think it is that bad. Based on one comment which says "not impressive"? I think Eirambler went onto specify that they have two stand out players (presumably Bale and Ramsey) and I then referred to the 6 or 7 forward players that fall into the bracket you set out above.

youngirish
26/08/2020, 9:59 AM

I agree. All we have at the moment is potential. On current form only Doherty, Coleman, Egan and possibly McGoldrick would warrant a place in their first team. Some of their younger players such as Matondo and James are currently far ahead in their development than any of the players we are staking our future hopes on.

DeLorean
26/08/2020, 2:03 PM
I don''t think it is that bad. Based on one comment which says "not impressive"? I think Eirambler went onto specify that they have two stand out players (presumably Bale and Ramsey) and I then referred to the 6 or 7 forward players that fall into the bracket you set out above.

Wasn't having a go at anybody, just thinking about the comments/discussion from a Welsh perspective. If anything, since Euro 16, I think they've been getting a little less than the sum of their parts. A lot of their talents are still very young though I guess.

elatedscum
26/08/2020, 4:58 PM
I think if I were picking a combined team, it’d be predominantly Irish:

Randolph (don’t really rate Hennessy)

Doherty
Egan
Duffy
Stevens (same true of Davies)

McCarthy (if Allen were fit, that might change)
Ampadu
Ramsey

James
Bale

McGoldrick

——

Lots of interesting wide players: James, Brooks, Wilson, Woodburn, Matondo

for reference, their last game was as follows

Hennessy

Roberts
Lockyer
Mepham
Davies

Allen
Morrell
Ramsey

Bale
James

Moore

Bale and Ramsey are obviously by far the best players belonging to either side.

In terms of young players, for me Ampadu is currently the best between the nations, both in potential and current level. Neco Williams and Aaron Connolly would be my next tier. Troy Parrott is someone who’s potential is right up there too but also higher risk that he’s back home in Ireland in 5 years...

FWIW, I’d take Stephen Kenny over Ryan Giggs any day of the week

seanfhear
26/08/2020, 5:07 PM
I think if I were picking a combined team, it’d be predominantly Irish:

Randolph (don’t really rate Hennessy)

Doherty
Egan
Duffy
Stevens (same true of Davies)

McCarthy (if Allen were fit, that might change)
Ampadu
Ramsey

James
Bale

McGoldrick

——

Lots of interesting wide players: James, Brooks, Wilson, Woodburn, Matondo

for reference, their last game was as follows

Hennessy

Roberts
Lockyer
Mepham
Davies

Allen
Morrell
Ramsey

Bale
James

Moore

Bale and Ramsey are obviously by far the best players belonging to either side.

In terms of young players, for me Ampadu is currently the best between the nations, both in potential and current level. Neco Williams and Aaron Connolly would be my next tier. Troy Parrott is someone who’s potential is right up there too but also higher risk that he’s back home in Ireland in 5 years...

FWIW, I’d take Stephen Kenny over Ryan Giggs any day of the weekProbably safer with the wife anyway, as far as we know ! !

tetsujin1979
27/08/2020, 3:30 PM
Finnish manager Markku Kanerva has named his squad for the games against Wales and Ireland: https://www.palloliitto.fi/jalkapallouutiset/huuhkajat-walesia-ja-irlantia-vastaan-nimetty
The squad's playing record was added to the Finnish association's wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_national_football_team#Current_squad