PDA

View Full Version : LoI 20th - 23rd Sept.

Pages : [1] 2 3

ToberonaTornado
19/09/2019, 10:31 PM
Premier:

FRIDAY

Cork City v Finn Harps
Derry City v Bohemian FC
UCD v Sligo Rovers
Waterford FC v Dundalk FC *LIVE* RTE2
Shamrock Rovers v St.Pats Ath 8pm

MONDAY

Dundalk FC v Shamrock Rovers *LIVE* RTE2 k/o 7:20pm

First:

SATURDAY

Athlone Town v Galway FC
Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United
Cobh Ramblers v Longford Town
Shelbourne FC v Limerick FC
Wexford FC v Cabinteely FC

EatYerGreens
19/09/2019, 11:54 PM
Premier:

FRIDAY

Cork City v Finn Harps
Derry City v Bohemian FC
UCD v Sligo Rovers
Waterford FC v Dundalk FC *LIVE* RTE2
Shamrock Rovers v St.Pats Ath 8pm

MONDAY

Dundalk FC v Shamrock Rovers *LIVE* RTE2 k/o 7:20pm

First:

SATURDAY

Athlone Town v Galway FC
Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United
Cobh Ramblers v Longford Town
Shelbourne FC v Limerick FC
Wexford FC v Cabinteely FC

Crap choice by RTE to be screening Waterford v Dundalk.

Derry v Bohs is the stand out game on Friday, with both teams having a huge amount to play for. Waterford's season is over.

joey B
20/09/2019, 12:41 AM
Do Cork still have the streaming service?

marinobohs
20/09/2019, 12:42 PM
Derry away a big ask given our depleted playing resources. Would happily take a point now !
Will Pats finally win V shams ? Will need a lot of new manager bounce to get 3 points (bit early for shams to be fixated on their cup final) 😁
Dundalk to win handy.

sbgawa
20/09/2019, 1:38 PM
Derry should win if they play like they did against Dundalk, Toss up between that and the Cork Harps match for biggest match of the night.
Every other match irrelevant including all the first division matches tomorrow, although i suppose Pats have something to play for against Rovers.

joey B
20/09/2019, 2:23 PM
Derry should win if they play like they did against Dundalk, Toss up between that and the Cork Harps match for biggest match of the night.
Every other match irrelevant including all the first division matches tomorrow, although i suppose Pats have something to play for against Rovers.

UCD v Sligo is a huge game aswell,if they win and we lose its 2 points again and we play each other next,massive couple of games coming up.......

sbgawa
20/09/2019, 2:29 PM
fair point i just cant see UCD the way they have been playing bridging the gap to Harps.

pineapple stu
20/09/2019, 2:37 PM
If there's two points in it after tonight, then the run-in will be interesting (certainly Harps v UCD in a fortnight will be). Our home form is actually quite reasonable; it our away form that's shocking (two 0-0 draws all season)

Problem is we still have a few long-term injuries, and the two guys we signed off Sligo aren't allowed play against Sligo under the terms of the transfer agreement, which is a really weird one. Kerrigan has been scoring a goal a game so far (and Keaney has been getting a red a game, but that's a different matter!)

joey B
20/09/2019, 2:37 PM
Believe me if you support Harps pessimism is a default setting!!!!!

oriel
20/09/2019, 2:57 PM
Crap choice by RTE to be screening Waterford v Dundalk.

Derry v Bohs is the stand out game on Friday, with both teams having a huge amount to play for. Waterford's season is over.

RTE do this most seasons, jump on the club in the league title run in. Reason why they are showing Dlk v Rovers on Mon also, then again only two wins in these games for DFC will win the league, can still be done if we can match Rovers result tonight, then beat them on Monday.

Ezeikial
20/09/2019, 4:13 PM
The reason why the Dundalk V Shamrocks game was re-scheduled for next Monday is the precise same reason why RTE is televising it - the possibility of the league win being finalised on the night.

The fact that it is first v second adds some extra spice or curiously to see if Rovers have enough to delay the celebrations.

CorribsideSteve
20/09/2019, 6:34 PM
Looks like there may not even be 1,000 at the RSC by game time.

To be fair, there was latecomers. Probably surpassed that by now. Good game so far.

pineapple stu
20/09/2019, 7:13 PM
Sligo down to ten.

Gives us a chance at least

redarmyfaction
20/09/2019, 7:45 PM
Sligo down to ten.

Gives us a chance at least

Not looking that way.

pineapple stu
20/09/2019, 8:05 PM
Nope. Two stupid goals to give away, and we're not creating much against ten men

Ezeikial
20/09/2019, 9:13 PM
I'm so looking forward to the possibility of winning the title on Monday night. The fact that it is possible to do so and give Rovers a few football lessons at the same time is doubly appealing.

I suspect from Vinny Perth's post match interview that he might be more focused on the more important match to follow in the FAI Cup. Hopefully he is respectful and picks a first choice team

El-Pietro
20/09/2019, 9:16 PM
Can Harps fans explain something to me? I'm very confused by their teams attitude to tonights game given the league table but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Cork City in 2019 are a bad team, and can be beaten. A draw tonight means that Harps need to make up 8 points to overtake City with just four games to go. A win tonight would have put serious pressure on us for the playoff spot but a draw all but ensures we will stay above that spot. Harps tonight seemed content with the draw, their keeper wasn't exactly time wasting but he was taking his time with every goal kick, and there was no real urgency from them. They were happy to sit with 10 men behind the ball allowing us to pass from side to side and look for an opening. Bar a five minute spell late on they never looked like scoring.

We also never looked like scoring and missed yet another penalty but we kept looking for the winner when a draw suits us just fine. I understand they have some concern about UCD but they were 2-0 down at half time and the gap is now 6 points (or 7 when you factor in the massive goal difference gap). I really expected them to have a go at us in the second half but bar a five minute spell of corners and one very good shot from distance they never really challenged us.

I'm delighted with the result, our remaining fixtures are not ideal for a team in a relegation battle, with Dundalk, Rovers, Bohs and Derry among our five final games as well as a home game to UCD. I don't see us picking up too many points but I can't see Harps doing enough to make up the difference in their final four games.
We're also 10 points away from 6th which means we should safe from the Caramel Cup. I do not want to play in it, though if we qualify I'll definitely go to any games.

joey B
20/09/2019, 9:31 PM
Not one bit confused that a Ollie Horgan team would set up like that,the last time we played you at home we done the same and that annoyed me more because I genuinely thought Wexford/Athlone would have beaten you that night you were so brittle.
To be very cynical the club badly need a play-off final with a big gate,not saying we set up to aim for a play-off but at the minute a good gate isnt the worst thing for us.........

ToberonaTornado
20/09/2019, 9:46 PM
Is Rob Slevin still sitting on his hole at the rsc waiting for the ref to blow for a foul??:D
Lesson 1/1 coach manual - PLAY TO THE WHISTLE
Thought waterford deserved a draw,we were poor.

White Horse
20/09/2019, 9:54 PM
Looking forward to Monday night. Hopefully, a full house in Oriel and a party atmosphere.

sbgawa
20/09/2019, 9:57 PM
Looks like the dream playoff of a Neil fenn cork against longford is off :)

Charlie Darwin
21/09/2019, 2:22 AM
Is Rob Slevin still sitting on his hole at the rsc waiting for the ref to blow for a foul??:D
Lesson 1/1 coach manual - PLAY TO THE WHISTLE
Thought waterford deserved a draw,we were poor.
Watched the video and flabbergasted at Slevin. There was never any foul. Though, to be fair, it seems Waterford put up a better fight than they did against us.

Rovers were poor tonight. OK in spells late on but same old problems we've had all season.

trevy
21/09/2019, 4:34 AM
Waterford unlucky not to get a draw. Best performance v Dundalk this season and took the game to them in first half. The goal which was stupid carry on by Slevin really set us back. Everyone thought it must have been a foul and team mates and fans were getting on to match officials. I saw it on phone at half time and it was the right decision. Dundalk managed the game well in 2nd half without playing that well but Waterford pushed hard for a goal late on again.

redarmyfaction
21/09/2019, 7:39 AM
To be very cynical the club badly need a play-off final with a big gate,not saying we set up to aim for a play-off but at the minute a good gate isnt the worst thing for us.........
Are things that bad money wise that being relegated with a big play off gate is better than staying up without one.

Ezeikial
21/09/2019, 7:54 AM
Greg Bolger seems to have a higher measure of a successful season than many Rovers posters on foot.ie

And Bolger reckons the Hoops need to lift the trophy for the first time since 1987 to deem this a successful season.

“If you want to be recognised as a good team you need to win something,” he said.

On the other hand he also seems to think that Rovers still have a chance of winning the league

. I'm not saying it's over by any means and stranger things have happened.”

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/greg-bolger-not-planning-letting-20098515

sbgawa
21/09/2019, 8:01 AM
Are things that bad money wise that being relegated with a big play off gate is better than staying up without one.

I 've watched a good bit of div 1 this year I don't think any of the teams in the playoffs will beat harps over 2 legs. Drogs maybe but a big maybe.
If harps avoid losing to ucd they can rest players and prepare for the playoff final

ToberonaTornado
21/09/2019, 8:39 AM
Greg Bolger seems to have a higher measure of a successful season than many Rovers posters on foot.ie

On the other hand he also seems to think that Rovers still have a chance of winning the league

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/greg-bolger-not-planning-letting-20098515

Was that not yesterday ez? when they had a modicum of a chance to catch us dated 20th

Wonder how rovers will line out v us on monday with the cup game against bohs on friday also going.

White Horse
21/09/2019, 8:52 AM
Wonder how rovers will line out v us on monday with the cup game against bohs on friday also going.

If you look at their bench last night, they had plenty there, McEneff, O'Neill, Finn, Kavanagh, and Cummins.

I suspect those lads will start and they will leave the likes of Burke, Byrne, Greene etc. out.

Its the sensible thing to do given that the FAI scheduled a league tie four days before they play an important cup tie, one that their season now rests on.

sbgawa
21/09/2019, 9:34 AM
I'd say he was planning on bringing in mceneff Finn and o Neill who would all be guaranteed starters now for the dundalk match if you had slipped uip last night and probably rest byrne and a couple of others Monday. now he should play none of them.
Pick the first 11 for the cup semi and play the balance on Monday.

Nesta99
21/09/2019, 11:47 AM
Watched the video and flabbergasted at Slevin. There was never any foul. Though, to be fair, it seems Waterford put up a better fight than they did against us.

Much better example of a dive that wasnt than McGraths dive that wasnt that Sullen was pushing last week!

Ezeikial
21/09/2019, 1:15 PM
Fixture congestion has been a valid complaint among clubs and fans all season and it is probably less than ideal to have to play a midweek game in advance of a cup semi-final while your opponents have a full week to recover after their last league game

I suspect that Bradser is getting his excuses in early....

"I think it's disgraceful that we've a game on the Monday and an FAI Cup semi-final on the Friday. It's not right and it needs to be looked at."
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0920/1077283-bradley-hits-out-at-disgraceful-fixture-pile-up/

The league game on Monday will be Rovers 4th match in the last 25 days, while for Dundalk it will be the 7th match in the same period.

redarmyfaction
21/09/2019, 2:26 PM
I 've watched a good bit of div 1 this year I don't think any of the teams in the playoffs will beat harps over 2 legs. Drogs maybe but a big maybe.
If harps avoid losing to ucd they can rest players and prepare for the playoff final

Play offs have tended to go the first division the last few years IIRC so might be a risky strategy of strategy it is.

joey B
21/09/2019, 3:25 PM

Money's tight for sure,believe me the last thing anyone wants at Harps is a play-off or relegation,but in the short term a big gate is important,before last night a playoff wasnt a sure thing, it probably is now so hopefully we can go and win it......

Ezeikial
22/09/2019, 8:54 PM
Team news
John Mountney is out once again with a foot injury and the match will come too soon for Jordan Flores as he works his way back to fitness. Daniel Kelly, Dane Massey and Sean Murray are all struggling with different problems while Aaron McCarey missed training today due to a bout of flu. Brian Gartland should return to the squad this week and Patrick McEleney is also expected to be fit.

Last 10 meetings with Shamrock Rovers (All competitions)
28.06.2019 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Dundalk (Gannon 73)
26.04.2019 (LGE) Dundalk 2-1 Shamrock Rovers (Hoban 40, Duffy 60; Vojic 83)
01.03.2019 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 0-0 Dundalk
28.08.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 1-2 Shamrock Rovers (Duffy 54; Lopes 2, Watts pen 90)
01.06.2018 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 2-5 Dundalk (Carr 4, Lopes 71; Hoban 37, Cleary 60, Massey 62, Benson 72, 77)
06.04.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 2-1 Shamrock Rovers (Benson 51, Shields 62; Carr 75)
23.02.2018 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 0-0 Dundalk
10.10.2017 (FCUP) Shamrock Rovers 2-4 Dundalk (Finn 10, O’Connor 85; McMillan 13. 108, Benson 54, O’Donnell 114)
01.10.2017 (FCUP) Dundalk 1-1 Shamrock Rovers (Benson 8, Miele 74)
16.09.2017 (LCUP) Shamrock Rovers 0-3 Dundalk (McMillan 5, McEleney 81, Stewart 90)

https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-shamrock-rovers-11/

Nesta99
23/09/2019, 3:59 AM
"Aaron McCarey missed training today due to a bout of flu".

Could do without that ripping through the squad prior to playing Rovers next weekend!

sbgawa
23/09/2019, 9:57 AM
Unless its a dose that keeps half the squad out for the next 5 matches you should be ok and even then the other half should be able to pick up enough points :)

Mr A
23/09/2019, 10:05 AM
Can Harps fans explain something to me? I'm very confused by their teams attitude to tonights game given the league table but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Cork City in 2019 are a bad team, and can be beaten. A draw tonight means that Harps need to make up 8 points to overtake City with just four games to go. A win tonight would have put serious pressure on us for the playoff spot but a draw all but ensures we will stay above that spot. Harps tonight seemed content with the draw, their keeper wasn't exactly time wasting but he was taking his time with every goal kick, and there was no real urgency from them. They were happy to sit with 10 men behind the ball allowing us to pass from side to side and look for an opening. Bar a five minute spell late on they never looked like scoring.

We also never looked like scoring and missed yet another penalty but we kept looking for the winner when a draw suits us just fine. I understand they have some concern about UCD but they were 2-0 down at half time and the gap is now 6 points (or 7 when you factor in the massive goal difference gap). I really expected them to have a go at us in the second half but bar a five minute spell of corners and one very good shot from distance they never really challenged us.

I'm delighted with the result, our remaining fixtures are not ideal for a team in a relegation battle, with Dundalk, Rovers, Bohs and Derry among our five final games as well as a home game to UCD. I don't see us picking up too many points but I can't see Harps doing enough to make up the difference in their final four games.
We're also 10 points away from 6th which means we should safe from the Caramel Cup. I do not want to play in it, though if we qualify I'll definitely go to any games.

The context is that we have been on a losing run and conceding a lot of soft goals. The focus was on staying as solid as possible and trying to nick something and it was not far off working. Cork had a lot of pressure and Harps worked very hard, TBH I was happy with the performance and result, especially given UCD lost. I don't think it was likely we could catch Cork even if we had won on Friday to be perfectly honest. While we have UCD and Waterford at home Rovers and Derry away are both difficult games.

Ezeikial
23/09/2019, 10:39 AM
With Rovers currently 12 points off Dundalk, Roberto Lopes has ambitions to reduce that next season

Lopes has still warned the Lilywhites that the points gap in the league won’t be so big next season.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/shamrock-rovers-want-ruin-dundalks-20145072#ICID=Android_IrishMirrorNewsApp_AppShare

sbgawa
23/09/2019, 10:53 AM
The context is that we have been on a losing run and conceding a lot of soft goals. The focus was on staying as solid as possible and trying to nick something and it was not far off working. Cork had a lot of pressure and Harps worked very hard, TBH I was happy with the performance and result, especially given UCD lost. I don't think it was likely we could catch Cork even if we had won on Friday to be perfectly honest. While we have UCD and Waterford at home Rovers and Derry away are both difficult games.

Rovers wont have anythng to play for although that could work either way, pressure off etc, Waterford will be in the same boat , get a point against UCD and you should be fine.

Nesta99
23/09/2019, 11:17 AM
Unless its a dose that keeps half the squad out for the next 5 matches you should be ok and even then the other half should be able to pick up enough points :)

I know its been a while for you lot but its the cup game i'd be concerned about having a fit squad for part 3 of a potential treble!

sbgawa
23/09/2019, 11:46 AM
LOL , sorry Nesta , that was my "only one Rovers" head and i thought you were talking about tonights match.
I forgot about the Sligo Match.....mea culpa
although to be strictly fair you are in the League match thread not the FAI cup thread :)

sbgawa
23/09/2019, 5:55 PM
Just saw the rovers starting 11, madness, couldn't give a flying f about tonight and we go with arguably a first 11 tonight ahead of cup semi Friday. ..???.?

joey B
23/09/2019, 7:13 PM
2-0 Dundalk at HT,Rovers neat and tidy at times but absolutely toothless in attack,Dundalk just too many threats from everywhere.....

Fermoy Blue
23/09/2019, 7:16 PM
George Hamilton before the match on Dundalk .... ‘’this will be a much different proposition to Waterford on Friday night ‘’.... right so far.....much easier....

dong
23/09/2019, 7:41 PM
Why so few Shams there? Usually travel in big numbers no matter what.

dong
23/09/2019, 7:43 PM
Clinical from Dundalk.

dong
23/09/2019, 7:47 PM
Or maybe not...

geysir
23/09/2019, 8:26 PM
That's the way a town should observe the winning of the league, open the gates and celebrate in the rain on the pitch with the sound of champagne bottles being uncorked.

Park_Lane
23/09/2019, 9:38 PM
Congratulations to Dundalk on another league title. Streets ahead of every other team in this league and will probably complete the treble to top it off.
Vinny Perth deserves massive credit for winning the league in his first season as head coach especially following on from Kenny and his success.

White Horse
23/09/2019, 9:41 PM
While tonight was all about getting three points to win the title, it was also a fantastic advert for LOI football. Rovers showed great respect to the league by putting out a strong side and they left nothing on the pitch. They ran themselves into the ground. They are a side that is only going to get stronger.