PDA

View Full Version : Thomas O'Connor M Burton Albion b.1999

samhaydenjr
18/09/2019, 2:08 AM
Good time to start a new thread for O'Connor - I don't think he has got as much attention from us as other Southampton Academy players like Obafemi, Afolabi and Smallbone, but his loan to Gillingham is starting to look fruitful: in his fifth senior appearance, he has scored his first senior goal: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49643647

tommy_c12000
18/09/2019, 5:29 PM
Where is O’Connor playing for them? He has been in the position of a LB on their teamsheet, is that where he’s playing? He’s left legged so makes sense. I don’t know much about about him but I see he is noted as a defensive midfielder or a center half. Anyone have more insight?

liamoo11
18/09/2019, 5:51 PM
Where is O’Connor playing for them? He has been in the position of a LB on their teamsheet, is that where he’s playing? He’s left legged so makes sense. I don’t know much about about him but I see he is noted as a defensive midfielder or a center half. Anyone have more insight?

Saw some highlights of his first game against Bolton and he certainly played left full in what looked like a back four that day. Seemed to spend most last season centre half in the 23s and before that as youth player centre mid

tetsujin1979
18/09/2019, 6:13 PM
Goal here on 1:15
rU4xTE-XYzc

elatedscum
18/09/2019, 6:31 PM
Was there ever more players at a english club than Southampton at the start of last season?

Off the top of my head:

Thomas O’Connor
Aaron O’Driscoll
Kam Ledwidge
Seamus Keogh
Roland Idowu
Jonathan Afolabi
Michael Obafemi
Sean Brennan
Will Smallbone
Will Ferry

tommy_c12000
18/09/2019, 6:56 PM
Goal here on 1:15
rU4xTE-XYzc

One of the more awkward celebrations I’ve seen. He will have to work on that in case he starts getting into a habit of scoring

tetsujin1979
18/09/2019, 8:46 PM
Was there ever more players at a english club than Southampton at the start of last season?

Off the top of my head:

Thomas O’Connor
Aaron O’Driscoll
Kam Ledwidge
Seamus Keogh
Roland Idowu
Jonathan Afolabi
Michael Obafemi
Sean Brennan
Will Smallbone
Will Ferry
Villa had a few at the club when this photo was taken
https://img.balls.ie/balls_ie/eyJkYXRhIjoie1widXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL3MzLW V1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tXFxcL3N0b3JhZ2UucHVi bGlzaGVycGx1cy5pZVxcXC9tZWRpYS5iYWxscy5pZVxcXC91cG xvYWRzXFxcLzIwMTdcXFwvMDJcXFwvMjMyMDM1NThcXFwvMDEw MjY1LTEwNDAzNzY5MDAuanBnXCIsXCJ3aWR0aFwiOjY0MCxcIm hlaWdodFwiOjM2MCxcImRlZmF1bHRcIjpcImh0dHBzOlxcXC9c XFwvd3d3LmJhbGxzLmllXFxcL2Fzc2V0c1xcXC9pXFxcL25vLW ltYWdlLnBuZz92PTRcIn0iLCJoYXNoIjoiYzE1YjRlZTMxMjAz NzMzNDU0ZWYzNWIxMmVjZWY1MmUxZTYzN2M1NSJ9/the-11-irish-players-at-aston-villa-in-2012-where-are-they-now.jpg
Graham Burke, Samir Carruthers, Michael Drennan, Ciaran Clark, Robbie Keane, Shay Given, Richard Dunne, Stephen Ireland, Enda Stevens, Derrick Williams, and Daniel Devine

nigel-harps1954
19/09/2019, 11:50 AM

Off the top of my head:

Thomas O’Connor
Aaron O’Driscoll
Kam Ledwidge
Seamus Keogh
Roland Idowu
Jonathan Afolabi
Michael Obafemi
Sean Brennan
Will Smallbone
Will Ferry

Now, I know Mick McCarthy might have left him out in the cold, but might be remiss of you to forget Shane Long.

elatedscum
19/09/2019, 2:45 PM
Now, I know Mick McCarthy might have left him out in the cold, but might be remiss of you to forget Shane Long.

I was more thinking of acadamites/young players rather than senior footballers. But nonetheless made no mention of that in what i wrote :p

samhaydenjr
28/09/2021, 9:56 PM
Since we last mentioned O'Connor, he has built a solid career in League One at Gillingham and then Burton Albion. Scored the opener today against Portsmouth: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58633770

Olé Olé
29/09/2021, 7:56 AM
Seems to be nailing down midfield as his position having spent a good bit of time left back. Seems to occupy the same positions as Ryan Manning in that regard. Good enough football to be midfield with a tasty left leg but can do a good job left back.

And not 23 until April. He might kick on a level or two.

He was an incredibly prodigious GAA player. As a Kilkenny man, I'm sure he hurled but I know of his exploits for his school in Gaelic football. Apparently he had a little Twitter back and forth with David Clifford after outscoring him in this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the42.ie/good-counsel-st-brendans-2073369-Apr2015/%3famp=1

JR89
20/10/2021, 1:22 PM
Scored again tonight directly from a corner. That's three goals in his last two games and scored directly from a corner in both games. Having a good season for Burton and is tipping away nicely under the radar in terms of names being mentioned as possible young players who'll break through at senior level for us.

I've only seen him in highlights but ticks a couple of good boxes in that he's left footed, set piece taker, and offers versitility having played at CM, LB, and CB. Has plenty of game time too at League 1 over the last couple of years playing 5310 which is the equivalent of 59 full games. Hopefully he keeps up the form as we've a few lads from League 1 in and around the squad already.

Demesne Lad
21/06/2023, 3:50 PM
Mark Robins' Coventry were reported to be monitoring Wrexham's Irish defender/midfielder Tom O'Connor, 24 (The Mirror, 8 June). The story has been repeated today by Harry Mail on 'The 72' website.

Olé Olé
21/06/2023, 3:59 PM
Mark Robins' Coventry were reported to be monitoring Wrexham's Irish defender/midfielder Tom O'Connor, 24 (The Mirror, 8 June). The story has been repeated today by Harry Mail on 'The 72' website.

Interesting. You'd wonder what the point in the Wrexham detour was if he made this move as he could have been on his way to a transfer like this anyway. Ah, I'm sure it was an experience.

John83
21/06/2023, 4:28 PM
I've been to Wrexham. I was offered a job there too, and turned it down in spite of nearing the end of my contract. It is... not the most appealing town I've ever visited. He wasn't dazzled by the bright lights anyway. Maybe he was dating someone there. Or they kidnapped a relative?

Three flights up in one transfer is no mean feat, if it pans out. Well, two, if you include Wrexham's just-won promotion, but a huge step up in any case. It's not like he had no men's football before: he's played about 80 games in League One between various loans. Maybe he just got unlucky with timing on the transfer, by which I mean anyone who liked him had a slightly higher priority for their funds.

JR89
21/06/2023, 5:29 PM
Was probably getting paid more at Wrexham than he did at Burton.

irishfan86
21/06/2023, 6:34 PM
Yep Wrexham sort of an outlier due to the Hollywood cash. A few guys in the team who should be playing at least League 1 but are there for the dough.

John83
22/06/2023, 2:50 AM
Oh, right: that's the club Ryan Reynolds and one of the It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia lads bought. I'd completely forgotten about that.