PDA

View Full Version : Arkins to return back South?

Poor Student
08/05/2005, 4:07 PM
I was reading a report on the Irish Cup final in the Northern newspaper the Sunday Life and it said Arkins who I think scored a hattrick could possibly be leaving Ports as his contract is up. They didn't name any possible future clubs but I imagine it would be to the eL. Anyone know anything about this?

Speranza
08/05/2005, 4:13 PM
After the cup final yesterday he was asked about his future, he was far from conclusive about staying with the ports and at one stage slipped up by saying "when I leave ..... I mean, if I leave". Their other forward gary Hamilton looks like he is on his way out aswell. I would imagine Arkins is on his way but who can afford his wages rumoured to be huge even in el terms.

RedX
08/05/2005, 4:25 PM
Arkins is well past it..Larne were terrible yesterday and my dog would have scored against them..Arkins has been v-poor in the setanta cup this year..how on earth is he being paid so much money up there? :confused:

-lamb-
08/05/2005, 4:50 PM
Arkins is well past it..Larne were terrible yesterday and my dog would have scored against them..Arkins has been v-poor in the setanta cup this year..how on earth is he being paid so much money up there? :confused:
we WERE bad yesterday but don't let that hide the fact that arkins is a classy player, despite getting on in years.
maybe he hasn't been up to HIS usual high standards this season, but he was injured for a lot of it and he's still better than most. a quality player and one that portadown will find very hard to replace.

RedX
08/05/2005, 4:59 PM
we WERE bad yesterday but don't let that hide the fact that arkins is a classy player, despite getting on in years.
maybe he hasn't been up to HIS usual high standards this season, but he was injured for a lot of it and he's still better than most. a quality player and one that portadown will find very hard to replace.

My apoligies about your club...i really dont know enought about Larne to criticise them...and to get to a cup final is a great achievement alone...

On Arkins..i really do think the eircom league has stepped up a level over the last 2-3 years and i am not sure if Vinny Arkins at this time of his career would have any impact with a club there..

-lamb-
08/05/2005, 5:33 PM
My apoligies about your club...i really dont know enought about Larne to criticise them...and to get to a cup final is a great achievement alone...
no bother. can't knock honesty ;)
we've had a makeshift team all year and did great to even get to the final. we always were the massive underdogs but we had a good day out and will build things up over the summer.

i think arkins has another year in him yet, maybe not at the very top of the el and maybe on lower wages but he still has a lot to offer on the pitch.

pete
08/05/2005, 7:15 PM
Arkins is good for 35 years old. Is strong in the air but not many 35 year old players left in the eL as up to 40 games a season. IMO his strength is in ther air as little pace. He probably hasn't shined in the Setanta Cup as playing against top 2 teams & defences in the eL.

Dodge
08/05/2005, 9:02 PM
He talked to Pats during the last off season (ours, not theirs) and the wages he was asking for were unbelievable. The club found out that even that was a pay cut from Portadown...

thecorner
08/05/2005, 9:09 PM
could possibly be leaving Ports as his contract is up. ?

does this mean he's out of the city game monday week

Macy
09/05/2005, 8:16 AM
Arkins to the eL every Irish League close season. The wages I've heard, for part time lets not forget, would probably top the highest earning full timers down here.

Roo69
09/05/2005, 10:07 AM
Drogs have turned their attentions to Arkins after failing to convience Richard Sadlier to make a come back to football.

Mad Moose
09/05/2005, 10:53 AM
Drogs have turned their attentions to Arkins after failing to convience Richard Sadlier to make a come back to football.

I imagine they would have paid a pretty penny for Richard Sadlier. Such a shame his career ended. I have a friend from Ballinteer who knew him and used to rave about how great this guy would be. He certainly lived up to his name until injury ended his career. As for Arkins. His performance on Saturday didn't do his chances any harm but we're talking the same money terms as were mentioned with regard Richard.

Brendan

Poor Student
09/05/2005, 11:59 AM
How do Ports afford these astronomical wages?

Speranza
09/05/2005, 6:11 PM
Down the years they have always paid huge wages and it all comes from their directors who are minted and put a lot of money from their own pockets into the club.

Dodge
09/05/2005, 7:44 PM
Plus Northern teams tend to concentratwe their spending on one or two "star" players while paying the rest very little (in relation...)

pete
09/05/2005, 9:47 PM
No chance Arkins will sign fulltime in the eL at 35 with his own job whatever that is. Are not Drogs a fully fulltime squad?

Can't see anyone else taking him on given he lives in Dublin.

Risteard
10/05/2005, 12:01 AM
How much are his rumoured crazy wages?

cheech
10/05/2005, 11:47 AM
Grand sterling a week apparently.

It not paid by the club but by one of the directors (the chairman I think) who also got him a job.

Mention of a car as well.

Mate of mine from college knows him well and reckons Arkins doesn't know himself yet if he'll leave Portadown.

BobtheDrog
10/05/2005, 2:44 PM
i've heard a lot over the past couple of months to indicate we are interested this is about the 8th time we've been linked with him

paudie
10/05/2005, 3:52 PM
In fairness from what I've seen of him in a couple of games he's fit enough for a 35 year old and works back a lot in defence.

That may not justify the huge wages he gets from Ports though.

All the same surely Shels would get better value for their money if they signed Arkins and got rid of Crowe :D

carrickharp
08/06/2005, 7:28 AM
Portadown striker and captain Vinny Arkins is staying at Shamrock Park for another season.

Despite a tempting offer of a return to the Eircom League Premier Division with Drogheda, Ports boss Ronnie McFall has convinced Arkins to stay put.

"It is great to have him back," McFall told BBC Sport. "There's nobody on this island who could have replaced him.

"Everybody is delighted that the club captain is staying on. He is very much part of the set-up at Shamrock Park."

The 35-year-old Arkins proved his worth last month when he scored twice in Portadown's 5-1 Nationwide Irish Cup final victory over Larne.

As well as Drogheda, Shelbourne and St Patrick's were also interested in bringing Arkins back across the border.

Macy
08/06/2005, 7:32 AM
Would only get the money for going full time down here. Hence stays on his silly money part time contract with Ports, again.

Slash/ED
08/06/2005, 12:15 PM
Shelbourne....were also interested in bringing Arkins back across the border.

No, no we weren't. I'm sick of Shels name getting linked to every single story about a player coming into the league. There was never any interest in Arkins whatsoever, it would be an absolutley stupid transfer for us to make.

Macy
08/06/2005, 2:00 PM
No, no we weren't. I'm sick of Shels name getting linked to every single story about a player coming into the league. There was never any interest in Arkins whatsoever, it would be an absolutley stupid transfer for us to make.
You signed Hawkins didn't you? :eek: :D

Slash/ED
08/06/2005, 2:07 PM
You signed Hawkins didn't you? :eek: :D

I was skeptical at the time, but he'd be in contention for our player of the year for the way he's played in the first series of games, he seems to be back to his best atm.

pete
09/06/2005, 10:57 AM
Arkins staying with Portadown (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=17678)

I would be surprised if he just using transfer rumours to decent contract renewal.

BobtheDrog
09/06/2005, 1:28 PM
he wasn't willing to commit to full time football so we have now turned our attentions else where