PDA

View Full Version : Drogheda United.

Xlex
07/05/2005, 9:10 PM
Sucker punched. Gray on 82 minutes. Had really hoped we would win after taking the lead and holding it for so long.

three points would have pushed us up to seventh and within a point of Bray and two of both Waterford and Drogheda.

Someone give us a balanced view of what happened and no slating players.

De Town
07/05/2005, 10:37 PM
Both teams were terrible. Draw fair result of a shocking match. After going into h/t 1-0 up, Matthews decided to try and defend for 45 minutes :rolleyes: It was never going to work. Droghedas equaliser will give Digger nightmares, Gray headed goalwards, Digger went up to catch and he let it through his hands :(

Terrible crowd. Terrible match. Freezing nuts. Should have held on.

De Town
07/05/2005, 10:42 PM
I dont like saying this, but Sonic, I'm sorta starting to agree with ya :(

Sonic
08/05/2005, 12:44 PM
Someone give us a balanced view of what happened and no slating players.
Another great result

The problem you ask cop on tactics tactics TACTICS and as ever Matthews gets them wrong.Same old S*it really get a one goal lead and defend defend defend.Funny thing cop on is you cant blame the strikers today dessie did his bit for a change.You cant even opoint the finger at the defence even though digger was marginally at fault no you blame the tactics and cop on and co I know you dont wana admit it but the sonics right as always.I dont like it believe me it pains me to see us playing so poorly but when is matthws gona learn.It has happened so often that we lose a lead after going ahead cause we simply cant absorb so much pressure..There comes a time when you MUST spendtime in the opposition half and in the 2nd half we didnt do that.You could see the goal coming even though drogs were crap you could see it happening because it has happened so many times.

No doubt you spooners will blame the referees and linesmen as usual even though both team have to deal with the same officials.I am mad because it so obvious what the problem is and myself and a few bright souls can see it. WAKE UP LADS PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it okay to slate the mngr xlex :rolleyes: ;) :ball: :mad:

sorbothegreek
08/05/2005, 12:53 PM
The worst thing about the game from my point of view is that we had the guts of 70% of the ball in the first half and and still it took a mistake from their keeper for us to score. Apart from that there was the usual shots flying 10 foot over or wide or attempting to walk it into the net. The second half was shocking stuff alright. The only point of note was that Gartland and either of Barry or Deno were going to get sent off if it lasted any longer.
We were poor. The dwogs were worse. Still they managed to get a point.

On another point, did anyone spot what the dwog fans had on their roll of wall paper? It fell apart as soon as they opened it up. :confused:
Those dwogs are funny!

Maz
08/05/2005, 2:39 PM
The worst thing about the game from my point of view is that we had the guts of 70% of the ball in the first half and and still it took a mistake from their keeper for us to score. Apart from that there was the usual shots flying 10 foot over or wide or attempting to walk it into the net. The second half was shocking stuff alright. The only point of note was that Gartland and either of Barry or Deno were going to get sent off if it lasted any longer.
We were poor. The dwogs were worse. Still they managed to get a point.

On another point, did anyone spot what the dwog fans had on their roll of wall paper? It fell apart as soon as they opened it up. :confused:
Those dwogs are funny!

Agree totally, you can say oh good on dessie for scoring but in fairness it could easily have been saved nothing spectacular about it. I thought 1st half we played some nice football at times but after the goal it went down hill. Stupid free given away by Barry no need at all which resulted in the free kick by robinson and grey getting the equaliser

As for the wall paper, it had "Andy Myler is a dr(w)og!" on it. One fan ran up to the dugout to get andy's attention and when he looked it had fallen apart....funny funny

Cosmo
08/05/2005, 2:46 PM
Yeah, it was funny alright - I was actually surprised the lads managed to keep it together for the match because they had it out on the main street in bogford a couple of hours before the match.

Seen as ye ain't bothering playing him, can we please have him back ;) ?

Suzanne
08/05/2005, 3:26 PM
same old negative tatics trying to hang on to a goal lead,drogheda were poor on the night and there for the taking.we had them on the ropes but did'nt go for the killer 2nd.still not creating chances and its no wonder crowds r down,when r they going to realise that best form of defence is attack(on the ground!)we were absolutely blessed digger did'nt see red too-barry at fault-again

RockofGibraltar
08/05/2005, 7:37 PM
We have 8 points from 8 games(pathetic), maybe Matthews' masterplan is to have 33 points after 33 games. If thats the case we'll get relegated. Then ye lads will be blaming the strikers, who by the way didnt get one decent pass in the second half last night

Its laughable at this stage :D

Ronnie
09/05/2005, 8:17 AM
Very disappointing second half, no denying that. The goal was a shocking mistake by Digger. Couldn't hold the ball up in the second half at all - all throughj the first half, Danny O'Connor was overlapping Kirby, don't think it happened once in the second.

fosterdollar
09/05/2005, 8:24 AM
Rediculous result. We were crap but Drogs were worse. Should have pushed for another after the first and who knows how many more we might have got as a result. Instead, cynically defend - with the defenders not playing a particularly well game. Danny and Dillo having their fair share of hairy moments.

Sonic
09/05/2005, 8:24 PM
Absolutely no denying the goal was luck but his general play was more committed than he usually is.How can honestly say Matthews is noyt at fault for going in at half time and telling them to hold it for the final 45 mins.Come on cop on who do you think you coddin'.It has happened so bloody god damn often its not funny.Yes I say Digger is MARGINALLY at fault.Put it this way a 6 foot defender like Gray is left unmarked inside the box the natural instinct of the goalkeeper is to come out and try to punch it.Not Diggers fault that big man barry ferguson leaves the man he should be marking (ie the tall men who come up for set plays)four yards from goal.I agree if digger stayed on his line he wud have had a better chance of saving it hence the word MARGINALLY.Even tho if he had syayed on his line the haeder either side of the goalie and it was in.You cannot honestly expect a team defending so deep so god damn often to keep clean sheet. :mad:

Ronnie
10/05/2005, 8:22 AM
Sonic, the goal was completely Diggers fault - he called for the ball, he's defenders took the instruction and he didn't get off the ground at all. Barry Ferguson could have attacked the ball but when you get the shout you leave it. Sonic dod you honestly believe Mathews said at half time, right lads stop playing the way your playing, we've completely dominated the first 45 minutes, lets now change this and sit back and try and defend our lead - give me a break, Drogs were dire in the first half, we were killing them. In the second half they got on top and our wingers especially just kept losing the ball, not because of tactics, but because their men did to them in the second half what we did to them in the first.
Look at the Drogheda forum, their calling for Doolins head cause they had 3 chances on Saturday, 2 provided by Digger, one by Dillon and none from good play by Drogheda, and this is a team with realistic league expectations and a budget many times ours. Our real failing is the same as it has been for years, not taking chances. Oh and bye the way, Bakers goal was a good goal, Keego provided the chance and he tucked it away, lets just say I'm glad the chance fell to him and not someone else.

observer
10/05/2005, 8:53 AM
Goal 100% Diggers fault. Looking at it last night he seemed to have his hands on the ball and let it drop.

Wiseguy
10/05/2005, 8:55 AM
No matter what people say on this forum there are some who just have it in for Matthews and he could win all in front of him and they will still whinge.These people will never change.Barry gave away a silly free kick and Digger got caught, end of story.Dessie took his goal well and it's yet another game we should have won.A couple of positions need changing and we didn't seem to have much shape about us Saturday night.Once we string a few wins together it will kick start our season starting from tonight.

Ronnie
10/05/2005, 10:03 AM
What do you mean Cop On - you think someone else on our team would have tucked the chance away as easily?

Cosmo
12/05/2005, 7:30 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention this from the match:

'Macy, give us a song, macy macy, give us a song' :D

Macy
12/05/2005, 7:45 AM
Told them to start a "F*ck off, you inbred c*nts" back at ya. Don't know whether they did...

Cosmo
12/05/2005, 7:54 AM
Haha, no they didn't (well they might have but we couldnt really hear them ;) ) but one of the lads saw the text ye sent - touchy :p

Martinho II
12/05/2005, 12:26 PM
via my mobile! showed it to windmill warrier! :p

monkey magic
12/05/2005, 12:41 PM
No. I agree with you. I just thought you were referring to Avril. She would probably have dribbled it back to the half-way line !!

... or at least took it to the corner... :D :D

fact o d the matter is our lads are not performing, its nothing to to with tactics, deres no way matthews wanted them to try an defend a one goal lead for 45 mins. what he does need to do is get rid of a few wasters from around the club and give the surviving players a good kick in de arse.

WindmillWarrior
12/05/2005, 4:38 PM
via my mobile! showed it to windmill warrier! :p

:D Thats right! Good man Martinho, I would have stayed in the bar with you but I was thirsty for a different kind of soup ;)