PDA

View Full Version : Gaelic Games starting to go global

ruckrover
07/05/2005, 4:06 PM
Gaelic football and to a lesser extent Hurling are starting to go global. Still mainly Irish expats, but in places there are sure signs of locals getting involved.

If the GAA had been a more outward looking organisation then it could be bigger than rugby and approaching even soccer today, given that the Irish diaspora is so vast. But GAA games in most new countries remained the province of the recent Irish immigrants, lack of youth competitions and spread to the general community meant the games have essentially marked time in London and New York for a century and in Australia for half a century.

However that is all starting to change. The lack of new immigrants and "visa players" has led GAA clubs in Nth America, England and Australia to start to look to home-grown talent. In Adelaide, South Australia, 50 years of GAA had dwindled from 10 football teams and 4 hurling teams in the 1960s to close up shop by the late 1990's. A switch to summer nights, initially with 7's, attracted local Aussie rules and soccer players, now there is 9 men's and 6 women's teams and 21 9-a-side teams - 95% of players being born and bred Aussies. Similar in other states of Australia - especially Queensland. Whereas strong Irish visitor numbers to Sydney have kept the local GAA strong but at the same time little growth comparitively to non-Irish participants compared with states like SA and Qld. check out gaelicfootball.com.au (http://www.gaelicfootball.com.au)

In North America there has been a real push for junior development in recent years and each year the continental youth GAA championships grow impressively in numbers and standard. check out Nth American GAA (http://www.nagaa.org) and New York minor board (http://www.nyminorboard.com/) .

In mainland Britain there is also a lot of recent youth development and GAA sports are now on the school curricula. Birmingham (http://www.hoganstand.com/UK/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=44359) is becoming something of a mini-Croke Park for Feile Peile.

London's website (http://www.londongaa.org/ASPfiles/index.asp) reflects new growth in the old GAA county.

And beyond the traditional Irish emigrant countries, more recent expats in the new global village are taking GAA to continental Europe (http://www.tri-g.org/eurogaa/) and Asia (http://www.asiangaelicgames.com/) . In Spain and Belgium the games are getting into school curricula.

But all this could be better coordinated. Aussie rules is in fact doing better as a look at Aussie footy international news site (http://www.worldfootynews.com) shows. Interestingly there is a bit of International rules played by GAA and Aussie rules clubs in USA, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore - all on an increasingly regular basis.

It is all small stuff compared to world soccer - but at current trends Gaelic football or even the hybrid with Aussie rules could be major world sports by the end of the century. Imagine Germany or the USA bringing a Hurling side to play Ireland at Croke Pk one day. Or a Gaelic football world cup for that matter. There is already a Finnish Hurling club (http://www.ssi-developer.net/finland-gaa/)

hamish
07/05/2005, 9:12 PM
I'm not taking the pi$$ but if eggball can call itself pan-European with only six out of 50+ European countries taking part in the Heinekin Cup then the GAA have just as much right to call the All-Ireland the GAA World Cup because New York, London, Irish counties and I believe, from this year, Warwickshire, take part. Why not.

Aberdonian Stu
08/05/2005, 6:50 PM
Well in fairness there are also teams from Romania and Spain playing in the Shield and Challenge Cup. They generally get hammered badly, but Steaua Bucharest (who I assume are linked to the football team) beat Connacht about five years ago.

oconghc2
08/05/2005, 7:02 PM
theres actually a european league running everyyear - tournament every month during season in a different european city.

very enjoyable and this year in Rennes the local side made it to the final with half the team being french! A lot of these people have really taken to the sport and they had a big crowd (french) cheering them on.

hamish
08/05/2005, 7:40 PM
Well in fairness there are also teams from Romania and Spain playing in the Shield and Challenge Cup. They generally get hammered badly, but Steaua Bucharest (who I assume are linked to the football team) beat Connacht about five years ago.
True, also Portugal and Spain. But I meant at the top level ie. the Heinekin Cup. That's where it really counts. Look at the way the UEFA Cup has been devalued - poor crowds even at the semi-final stages. The Parker Pen tournaments are non events really and below the media radar outside the six nations. I don't think even the 6 nations and Heinekin get any or little attention outside the 6 countries involved. Certainly the German channels I have never mention them and until recently Italian TV showed Italy's 6 Nations at 12.45am on Monday mornings.

hamish
08/05/2005, 7:52 PM
Actually, that gave me an idea = probably daft. To raise the rugby profile and since the Heinekin is a mix-mash of provinces, clubs, regions, cities etc why not let Rumania, Spain, Russia, Germany and Portugal enter national sides in this tournament.. They'd all probably get the $hite beaten out of them anyway but if that group formed a second tier with promotion and relegation w'd be spared the sight of poor Italy and Scotland sides getting crapped on every year. A relegation battle would add spice both to the Heinekin and 6 nations. Just a thought.

pete
08/05/2005, 8:18 PM
I think theres a 2nd division to the 6 Nations with a lot of countries across Europe playing in it including Romania, Germany, Russia, Spain, Portugal etc...

hamish
08/05/2005, 8:36 PM
Yeh, Pete, but NO promotion. I recall an interview on some satellite channel with the manager of the Czech Rep, rugby team and he was horrified that his team, on a bit of a roll, might be moved up with the big boys. He felt that they would get such a hammering that it would undo any good work done.
Can you imagine the managers of 1960s Holland, Denmark, Norway etc saying that - I recall being disgusted that Athlone only drew 1-1 away to Valerenga in 1975 in the UEFA = how could such a crap club from such a crap footballing country draw with us.
Rugby will forever be on the periphery of all Europe if that above situation continues.
Lie the footballing egs above - it's an attitude of mind too.

4tothefloor
08/05/2005, 10:33 PM
There is already a Finnish Hurling club (http://www.ssi-developer.net/finland-gaa/)

How fantastic. And tell me, who does this Finnish hurling club play against? Themselves?

Soccer is the only true world game, and will be for eternity by the looks of things. Even the Rugby World Cup is a joke of a competition, no matter how hard they try to dress it up.

hamish
09/05/2005, 11:27 PM
How fantastic. And tell me, who does this Finnish hurling club play against? Themselves?

Soccer is the only true world game, and will be for eternity by the looks of things. Even the Rugby World Cup is a joke of a competition, no matter how hard they try to dress it up.

Bang on the button :D

paul_oshea
10/05/2005, 5:25 PM
f off its the third biggest event in the world.

hamish
10/05/2005, 7:21 PM
So the rugby shower say. Many of the crowds in Australia were in the rent a crowd category - some games as cheap as 1 euro 50 to get into. A game involving the Irish side I watched had acres of empty seats. Immediately after the game BBC text had crowd of 35,000. Fifteen minutes later crowd was 48,000. ?????
Wimbletown, major golf tournaments, Euro finals, various horse racing get vastly bigger worldwide TV audiences. In places like Germany, India, China etc people are hardly aware it's on.

ruckrover
31/07/2005, 11:35 AM
Funny how this thread veered off to be a critique of Rugby. It was about Gaelic Football which is much easier to play than Rugby, being essentially a mixture of the world games of soccer and basketball. A look at the links in my post above or at www.gaa.ie and then to the "GAA abroad" icon on the menu on the right and slow but steady growth will be seen across Europe, East asia and Nth America. Sure it is unlikely to rival Soccer this side of 2100, but in the long run....maybe.

thejollyrodger
01/08/2005, 8:41 PM
Its great to see GAA being played around the world. Its a great game for the ordinary joe. I can see irish people playing it through out the world but i cant really see other people playing it. But they should.

pete
01/08/2005, 11:40 PM
Apparently they play Gaelic Football in New Zealand schools. Couldn't believe it myself when heard it but maybe theres a reason why rugby so similar...

hamish
01/08/2005, 11:51 PM
Something in a Sunday paper yesterday about Gaelic football replacing football in Toronto schools.

I wouldn't mind seeing a real game of skill - hurling- making inroads,

Chance of ANY sport replacing football/soccer in world terms is never ever gonna happen.

The game is so big worldwide it staggers me sometimes. :ball:

patsh
02/08/2005, 9:28 AM
f off its the third biggest event in the world.
What is, the rugger "World" cup?

Don't make me laugh, I doubt if it's even in the top twenty.

hamish
02/08/2005, 10:51 AM

Don't make me laugh, I doubt if it's even in the top twenty.

Sad thing is, Patsh, these guys really believe this $h!te - same way Fox News believe their "fair and balanced" nonsense.. LOL :D
The only way an international competition can be in the top echelon of ANYTHING is when nearly all of the world is aware of it - a look at say German, Chinese TV, ATN Bangla, Spanish TV, Portuguese/Brazilian TV, Abo Dhabi TV, the various and many Vectone channels, Al Jazeera Sports, the various Star channels, Sony TV Asia, CNN, MSNBC, Fox Sports (all which I have) - usual sports are football, tennis, golf, racing (bikes, cars etc), skiiing, swimming and a few of the usual other suspects like cricket, athletics etc.

That covers most of the world's population. Egggball just doesn't make it on to those channels - kinda sad in a way as I'm sure that they work hard to promote it. But, third biggest international competition? Total cowpat.

Here's a similar example. Big crowds in a few venues proves nothing. I went to a Bob Seger concert in Wembley Arena in 1980 - 10,000 at it. Demand for tickets was so big that he played the following night - another 10,000. That's 20,000 over two nights. Seger has never threatened the top of the charts in the UK. Except for France, Germany and a few others - he is/was mostly a US star. So he's a regional biggie - same as eggball. But "world" - NO.

TBH - I'd love to see eggball and Hurling getting big crowds everywhere - I feel football is too dominant everywhere and that really isn't healthy for the game - it needs competition.

Poor Student
02/08/2005, 6:24 PM
Something in a Sunday paper yesterday about Gaelic football replacing football in Toronto schools.

Football as in the Associated variety or the American one?

Hamish Fox News is fair and unbiased. They wouldn't say it so much if they weren't would they? :D

Schumi
02/08/2005, 6:58 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a real game of skill - hurling- making inroads
Sure hurling is dying in Ireland, never mind abroad.

hamish
02/08/2005, 11:43 PM
Football as in the Associated variety or the American one?

Hamish Fox News is fair and unbiased. They wouldn't say it so much if they weren't would they?

No - Gah PS - Sean Kelly mentioned in an interview. BS I say.

Of course Faux News is fair and etc - I'm also a little pixie who lives at the bottom of my garden and.............. contd. page 94 :D :D

hamish
02/08/2005, 11:45 PM
Sure hurling is dying in Ireland, never mind abroad.

Sad to say - I often feel that hurling folk and EL fans have much in common - y'know, worrying about the future of the game here, neglect from authorities, dropping crowds etc etc.

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 1:01 AM
Sad to say - I often feel that hurling folk and EL fans have much in common - y'know, worrying about the future of the game here, neglect from authorities, dropping crowds etc etc.

I agree Sir Hamish.. Schumi's point is well made though... Hurling is still not played in all 35 counties of the GAA ( no I am not mad, Warwickshire, London and New York are counties remember?) so this notion of going global is cobblers until they get the home situation sorted. Hurling is a marvellous game. Thugball I have no time for.

And the present leadership including Mr. Kelly are the most progressive bunch the GAAAAAAAAAAAAAA have ever had

hamish
06/08/2005, 7:40 AM
Hurling is a marvellous game.

Amazing how many hurlers also play football/soccer CTID- I think there is a common link between the sports here - pure skill. Brawn not really a factor.

crc
06/08/2005, 9:59 AM
Football as in the Associated variety or the American one? Or the Canadian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football) One?

Don't make me laugh, I doubt if it's even in the top twenty Have you ever seen the film Roxanne (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093886/)? Well, go on, name these great 20 festivals of sport.
I'll help you out and give you the first two: :D

1. Summer Olympic Games
2. FIFA World Cup

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 7:09 PM
Or the Canadian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football) One?

Have you ever seen the film Roxanne (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093886/)? Well, go on, name these great 20 festivals of sport.
I'll help you out and give you the first two: :D

1. Summer Olympic Games
2. FIFA World Cup
3. Winter Olympic Games
4. World Athletic Championships
5. World Student Games

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 7:22 PM
Amazing how many hurlers also play football/soccer CTID- I think there is a common link between the sports here - pure skill. Brawn not really a factor.
DJ Carey played in the Alfie Hale Testimonial game in Buckley Park some years ago and by all accounts was quite a good football/soccer player.

hamish
06/08/2005, 8:43 PM
DJ Carey played in the Alfie Hale Testimonial game in Buckley Park some years ago and by all accounts was quite a good football/soccer player.

I heard that CTID. Another great fan of the Irish team was Tipperary hurler Nicky can't think of his second name and he was too was nifty at the football/soccer.
Tom Cashman was on the same u-15 Irish squad as Frank Stapleton. There was also a Dublin hurler Shane Dalton? who was good at footie but he wouldn't play it because "There are too many gurriers involved" - told me that himself.
In the same conversation he told me a story of Lar Foley, God rest him, when he was in charge of the Dublin hurlers.
They were getting hockeyed in some match and during the half time talk, Lar lost it. He roared, "You're all over the place.like a mad woman's $hite". :D
Kind of undermined Shane's opinion of footie, didn't it??? Shane was a nice bloke to have a pint with TBF- great craic.

Superhoops
06/08/2005, 9:31 PM
Amazing how many hurlers also play football/soccer...
Niall Quinn?

hamish
06/08/2005, 9:48 PM
Niall Quinn?

Saw him in the Puc Fada last week. :)

Anything in the Irish papers about this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1543591,00.html

ruckrover
04/10/2005, 8:18 AM
GAA starting to get noticed in Asia, especially China

see http://www.beijinggaa.net and http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=8641

Good to see the Irish embassy and business getting behind it.

Ash
04/10/2005, 9:12 AM
I heard that CTID. Another great fan of the Irish team was Tipperary hurler Nicky can't think of his second name and he was too was nifty at the football/soccer.

Nicky English

Ringy
08/10/2005, 9:04 PM
I agree Sir Hamish.. Schumi's point is well made though... Hurling is still not played in all 35 counties of the GAA ( no I am not mad, Warwickshire, London and New York are counties remember?) so this notion of going global is cobblers until they get the home situation sorted. Hurling is a marvellous game. Thugball I have no time for.

And the present leadership including Mr. Kelly are the most progressive bunch the GAAAAAAAAAAAAAA have ever had

Of course hurlen is played in all the counties its just that the majority of them are basically useless at it so they predominantly play the inferior game of gaelic football.
Hurling going into decline is basically a myth built up by football people who are jealous of the glamour and skill thats hurling obtains, Hurling has always been dominated by 8 or 9 counties (Cork,Kilkenny,Tipperary,Limerick,Galway,Clare,Wat erford,Wexford,Offaly) for the last century and this still stands today.Ya Cork and Kilkenny are dominateing in recent years but that will not last i.e late 80's,mid 90's.The question of falling attendences is due to the minority thickos in the Gaa who thought playing Cork & Clare and Cork & Waterford etc in Croke park was more senseible than playing it in Thurlas to accomadate the more supporters fans which was left idol for july and Augest.