PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Bulgaria- 10th September 2019 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2

CraftyToePoke
06/09/2019, 4:38 PM
Might as well give it a thread.

Who are we hoping to see ?
Surely Cullen anyway, O'Dowda, Curtis & Travers also maybe ?

pineapple stu
06/09/2019, 4:54 PM
Randolph is the only capped keeper in the squad - and, at 32, the youngest capped keeper we have - so wouldn't say no to Travers and O'Hara getting a half each.

Wouldn't really change more than 3 of the outfield players I think; don't see the point in making 8/9 changes and suddenly it becomes a B international. And it'd obviously be handy for the likes of Stevens, O'Dowda, Hourihane, etc to get a bit more experience if they're going to be regulars for the rest of the campaign.

SkStu
06/09/2019, 5:22 PM
I’d go 4-2-3-1 with something like (based on our squad)...

Travers

Christie
Egan
Duffy
Coleman

Cullen
Hourihane

O’Dowda
McGoldrick
Curtis

Collins

John83
06/09/2019, 5:31 PM
I'd agree with Pineapple more than Sk of the Stus. There's little to be learned by putting out a B team. Swap out the keeper, maybe a defender or a winger to look at alternatives, and someone in for Whelan to look at options there.

SkStu
06/09/2019, 5:41 PM
I'd agree with Pineapple more than Sk of the Stus. There's little to be learned by putting out a B team. Swap out the keeper, maybe a defender or a winger to look at alternatives, and someone in for Whelan to look at options there.

Pffft... that’s just the UCD alliance.

John83
06/09/2019, 5:44 PM
Pffft... that’s just the UCD alliance.
It's not my fault if you Stus can't agree on anything.

Olé Olé
06/09/2019, 5:45 PM
A pity the 21s have a crucial match next week. Would be great for a few lads on the fringes of their senior sides to get a run. Knight, Collins, Parrott, Connolly and Molumby would be a nice group to push up.

ThirdManRun
06/09/2019, 6:33 PM
Building a good cohesion for the games next month and going forward should be the key for this one. Slight changes but nothing massive. I’d like to see :

Travers
Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
Hendrick Cullen Browne
ODowda Hogan McClean

That back 4 has the potential to play for the next 4 years together, barring Stevens upcoming suspension.

Hendrick will permanently be part of our plans and needs game time in a dynamic box to box role, similar to Browne who hasn’t had much of a chance at international level. Cullen needs to be introduced as a potential replacement for Whelan going forward, considering James McCarthy is missing.

Front three picks itself given the players missing from the squad. McClean is in the same bracket we Hendrick as a player who will always be picked, so the more himself and Stevens play together the better

tetsujin1979
07/09/2019, 12:06 PM
Didn't know England are playing Bulgaria today. It's on ITV this evening.

geysir
07/09/2019, 1:39 PM
Why not Jack Byrne? We could do with a midfield player who can do what Hendrick can do, but more.

Olé Olé
07/09/2019, 2:00 PM
That's a silly comment really until he can do what you think he can do at a level Hendrick has and is playing at i.e. PL and international.

geysir
07/09/2019, 2:38 PM
Hendrick is playing very little at EPL level is he? his toolbox is limited and his prognosis at that level is not great. It’s just a friendly with Bulgaria, as tepid as it gets and a good opportunity for Jack for 45mins or so.

CraftyToePoke
07/09/2019, 3:03 PM
I’d go 4-2-3-1 with something like (based on our squad)...

Travers

Christie
Egan
Duffy
Coleman

Cullen
Hourihane

O’Dowda
McGoldrick
Curtis

Collins

McGoldrick out no ?

I would be in the continuity camp on this one, look at three, four max positions over the 90, positions where the guys in the squad have no game time mostly. Keep working on the fledgling systems Mick is trying to bring to the table whereby we actually try to keep the football finally.

SkStu
07/09/2019, 4:14 PM
Yeah posted that before McG was ruled out. Hendrick (or Byrne) in his place.

I agree with some of what you are saying Crafty but at the same time the manager should also want to see what his fringe players can do in a real game.

I don’t see any reason to play Stevens in this one given he is suspended for Georgia and we need to evaluate a contingency at lb. it would be nice to see whether Egan can play well in a back 4. Perfect game to blood Cullen and to see what Collins and Travers can do. With Robbo also out, he will need to change there anyway (he’ll likely start Judge there). I don’t like McClean so I’ve dropped him for Curtis (or O’Dowda). :)

If I was the manager, I’ve had 5 games now with the same starting core, more or less. I know what the starters can do in a game and would now be looking to experiment with the starting 11 and see what the others are bringing to the party.

It would probably not make sense to mess with the formation too much alright if he has landed on a 4141/433. I just like the look of us in a 4231 based on our playing pool and the way the U21s are set up to play under Kenny.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2019, 8:29 PM
I was in UCD and also agree with the pineapple variety.

Stevens is suspended for Georgia. Might warrant another left back, but I think he could do with some more international game time. Browne, Byrne, Curtis and O'Dowda could do with some time on the pitch but for the most part this should be a dry run for Georgia away.

geysir
08/09/2019, 12:37 AM
In an ideal world this friendly might have some meaning, but now that we have experienced the Nations League I'm in a despair about its value in the scheme of things. I think at best this friendly is a mere inconvenience, same as that friendly v Iceland. Completely worthless at this stage to the endevours and requirements of the qualifying campaign. A friendly arranged after a competitive qualifier is a B team game, a reserve kick around.
Mick would have to go with his default formation and observe how a fringe player settle in, otherwise its totally futile. There's no point in trying out a 3 5 1 with fringe players.

Diggs246
08/09/2019, 10:41 AM
I just dont get this. We might need parrot in one of those away play off games for example. He could easily have played premier league football by then too
But it would be hard to give him a debut in a competitive game of that nature
Play him on Tuesday and have a look

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/4526351/mick-mccarthy-troy-parrott-bulgaria-ireland/

tetsujin1979
08/09/2019, 11:22 AM
I don't see what there is to get? Parrott hasn't started a senior club game yet, to promote him ahead of Connolly or Idah would make no sense to me.

Olé Olé
08/09/2019, 11:27 AM
I think Connolly is the man to move up. He has played now against the PL champions. He looks excellent at under 21 level. His run and assist was something we could only dream about McClean producing. He's small but he's built like a tank for a 19 year old forward. Given that he's more naturally or preferably a 9, I'm not sure if he has the defensive nous to play in Mick's team but he should be given a chance now to jump into a friendly and see how he can balance defence and attack.

Diggs246
08/09/2019, 12:54 PM
I don't see what there is to get? Parrott hasn't started a senior club game yet, to promote him ahead of Connolly or Idah would make no sense to me.

Promote connolly as well. It's simple "to get" we need goals. We have lost two strikers too injury. Let's have a look at them on Tuesday

tommy_c12000
08/09/2019, 2:11 PM
Jayson Molumby is the first man that should be promoted. He is our best midfielder right now. He has it all, he just needs to stay fit and he will be a top top midfielder. I agree with article below. We don’t have much of an existing senior midfield. Obviously, Connolly needs to be introduced to senior setup in the next month or so if he makes more appearances for Brighton, which he will as Brighton have shipped out 2 of the strikers to ensure optimal development of Connolly. A huge vote of confidence by Potter. Parrott is a few months early, shouldn’t be promoted until early 2020. My sentiments on Idah haven’t changed since watching him in Toulon and since he stepped up to Norwich first team. A couple of posters articulated it well. Would be surprised if he makes it in a top league.

The problem with all this is that stubborn Mick is in charge, and will bludgeon on with his favorites (Hogan, Judge, Whelan, Hendrick, McClean, etc) with no incentive to introduce youngsters given his short term contract. While I still think the dual appointment could have been a unique innovative masterstroke by Delaney, this could well be one of the unfortunate consequences of such an appointment - the delay of blooding top young talent, which so needed so much, and we have so much of it.

https://www.punditarena.com/football/robredmond/jayson-molumby-ireland/amp/ (https://www.google.com/amp/s/punditarena.com/football/robredmond/jayson-molumby-ireland/amp/)

Olé Olé
08/09/2019, 3:59 PM
Where would Molumby be now but for the injury? Brighton first team.

I think he surely needs more senior football before he comes in to the midfield at international level.

samhaydenjr
08/09/2019, 7:08 PM
I just dont get this. We might need parrot in one of those away play off games for example. He could easily have played premier league football by then too
But it would be hard to give him a debut in a competitive game of that nature
Play him on Tuesday and have a look

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/4526351/mick-mccarthy-troy-parrott-bulgaria-ireland/

I think Connolly is the man to move up. He has played now against the PL champions. He looks excellent at under 21 level. His run and assist was something we could only dream about McClean producing. He's small but he's built like a tank for a 19 year old forward. Given that he's more naturally or preferably a 9, I'm not sure if he has the defensive nous to play in Mick's team but he should be given a chance now to jump into a friendly and see how he can balance defence and attack.

I'm sorry lads, I just don't think there can be justification for moving them up - I'm as excited as anybody about the talent coming through and they're close to a breakthrough but not quite there yet - I think moving these lads up is a task for Kenny when he takes over, so he should keep working with them in the 21s for now. Mick is constrained by time now and will only have the opportunity to give some fringe players a chance to impress. Up front I would have liked to have McG and Robbo play together one more time but, with their injuries, it's clear that Scott Hogan will lead the line against Bulgaria and I'm OK with that - I know he didn't take his chance against Gibraltar, but I feel that he has just enough quality that he could yet make an impact in the final three games, if called upon, so give him another shot - besides, I think Mick has faith in him, and I don't bet against players if Mick sees something in them.

zero
09/09/2019, 10:17 AM
The u21s have a big game away to sweden on tuesday. It's arguably bigger than the senior game as it's a qualifier. Perhaps Connolly and Parrott are better off staying with that group for now? I am mindful of the fact that if they start playing PL football over the next few weeks we'll want to integrate them into the seniors but nevertheless...

seanfhear
09/09/2019, 10:23 AM
The u21s have a big game away to sweden on tuesday. It's arguably bigger than the senior game as it's a qualifier. Perhaps Connolly and Parrott are better off staying with that group for now? I am mindful of the fact that if they start playing PL football over the next few weeks we'll want to integrate them into the seniors but nevertheless...A competitive game is more important than a friendly .

Olé Olé
09/09/2019, 10:46 AM
Not necessarily. What if the friendly game is with a view to a competitive game. What if Connolly is blooded Tuesday so that he's set to play a part against Georgia and/or Switzerland in crucial senior competitive games in October?

tetsujin1979
09/09/2019, 11:10 AM
It's a judgement call. The U21s have never qualified for the European Championships, have won their opening two games in the group, and are facing one of the top two seeds. It's the first big test of Kenny's management, and he should be given the best opportunity to win. On the other hand, as you say, if any of Parrott/Connolly/Molumby get game time tomorrow, it's easier to justify their inclusion in the senior squad for two vital qualifiers in October.

Olé Olé
09/09/2019, 11:42 AM
https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1170979075437060098?s=19

Sounds like Mick is conscious of the importance of the 21s qualifier and that's been the main factor in his decision not to promote anyone for tomorrow night.

Kingdom
09/09/2019, 11:47 AM

Sounds like Mick is conscious of the importance of the 21s qualifier and that's been the main factor in his decision not to promote anyone for tomorrow night.

I don't believe that. It's a convenient excuse.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2019, 12:02 PM
Mick v1.0 was very happy to use untried youngsters

dynamo kerry
09/09/2019, 12:13 PM

Given we only really have what he actually says to go on..
It appears mick doesnt see those guys getting a game in one of the big games we have remaining, as debutants anyway, and if hes not going to play them why bother pulling them from an important qualifier. Also, note he talks about Bulgaria putting players in their u21 side as they have a chance too... that's interesting. Personally I like the idea that we have this issue. I also come down in favour of the u21 as a group being given some thought as even though pulling parrott up might be good for him, the progression of the u21 side will help all of them have a better chance of improving.

Olé Olé
09/09/2019, 2:18 PM
It does appear that Mick wants to persist with the players that he has had during his tenure so far and they will see him out to his tenure's end in up to 12 months.

That's fair in many regards. But I think there's an argument to make that Connolly could add a spark to our senior side if he were incorporated now.

tetsujin1979
09/09/2019, 3:23 PM
Mick v1.0 was very happy to use untried youngstersI don't think the situation is quite the same. When he was forced to try out Robbie, Duff, etc, he really didn't have a choice. The squad he inherited from Jack was old, and needed refreshing. It probably had needed it from at least a year earlier. The current squad is good enough, and while it's always great to see going players get the first opportunity, I don't think it's required right now

Diggs246
09/09/2019, 3:36 PM
The European championships are 9 months away so when if not now? we have to plan properly. lets say Connelly or Parrott start scoring and playing well at club level.
Surely it would be wise that they are given a friendly to immerse themselves within the senior set up now, rather then a possible debuts in a competitive game

Stuttgart88
09/09/2019, 3:39 PM
I don't think the situation is quite the same. When he was forced to try out Robbie, Duff, etc, he really didn't have a choice. The squad he inherited from Jack was old, and needed refreshing. It probably had needed it from at least a year earlier. The current squad is good enough, and while it's always great to see going players get the first opportunity, I don't think it's required right nowyep agreed

DeLorean
09/09/2019, 3:46 PM
I don't think the situation is quite the same. When he was forced to try out Robbie, Duff, etc, he really didn't have a choice. The squad he inherited from Jack was old, and needed refreshing. It probably had needed it from at least a year earlier. The current squad is good enough, and while it's always great to see going players get the first opportunity, I don't think it's required right now

True, and it took him three campaigns to achieve qualification. The remit this time is to do it in one, and let Stephen Kenny worry about the bigger picture.

paul_oshea
09/09/2019, 3:50 PM
The remit should always be to do it in one. THe first time in charge was ridiculous really. He made so many mistakes that cost us qualification for both competitions really. If he had fast tracked robbie into the belgium game theres a good chance we'd have gone through instead we had to rely on an old ray houghton to get us one.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2019, 3:51 PM
The European championships are 9 months away so when if not now? we have to plan properly. lets say Connelly or Parrott start scoring and playing well at club level.
Surely it would be wise that they are given a friendly to immerse themselves within the senior set up now, rather then a possible debuts in a competitive gameIn the past I’d never have had any qualms about raiding the U21s. Sure Robbie and Duff probably wouldn’t have even been picked by Don Givens(!) but I think that just right now the U21s are in a unique spot:

- 2 out of 2 in qualifying; tough away match this week
- Very strong group who’d benefit from developing together and would definitely benefit from playing in a finals
- New manager and pre-announced as next senior manager; he deserves to be given his best possible chance
- They’re a young group and none really stands out as obviously ready
- For example, Molumby looks classy – but is he better than Alan Browne, Jack Byrne or Josh Cullen? I think each of these deserves a look and – in my opinion – is closer to a senior place
- “Let’s say Connolly or Parrott start scoring at club level…”: well, in that case my opinion would probably change! There’ll be friendlies before the Euros if we qualify
- We have 3 key senior games in the next 2 months, maybe 5 key games in 3 months; is any of these U21s really likely to be contributing?
- In my opinion Connolly is the one who looks closest to being ready and is the only one who’d be likely to change anything, by virtue of his style of play

Stuttgart88
09/09/2019, 4:08 PM
The remit should always be to do it in one. THe first time in charge was ridiculous really. He made so many mistakes that cost us qualification for both competitions really. If he had fast tracked robbie into the belgium game theres a good chance we'd have gone through instead we had to rely on an old ray houghton to get us one."there's a good chance..." Who knows? We barely got a touch of the ball after we scored in the home game.

Fixer82
09/09/2019, 5:32 PM
If he had fast tracked robbie into the belgium game theres a good chance we'd have gone through instead we had to rely on an old ray houghton to get us one.

Nah I disagree. Belgians were better. We had a very young Harte and Given playing. It was a mix of severe inexperience and very old players.
I don’t think selecting a very young Robbie would’ve put us through.

tetsujin1979
09/09/2019, 10:18 PM
Hourihane to start at left full, according to Mick - freeing up a spot in centre midfield...

Diggs246
09/09/2019, 11:05 PM
It just shows you how **** Cunningham is

liamoo11
10/09/2019, 12:44 AM
Hourihane to start at left full, according to Mick - freeing up a spot in centre midfield...

Did anyone truthfully ever see that coming? Hourihane is our most creative midfielder and a goal threat I would have thought we needed to give him more time to feel confident in midfield and to impose himself in that position. Surely at this point in time mcclean who has played left full for stoke would be much more likely to play there against Georgia than conor?

tommy_c12000
10/09/2019, 2:43 AM
It’s pretty amusing. He’s left legged, so he must be okay at left back. Mick trying to make a Stephen Ward out of him.

Let’s hope Mick comes to his senses by the time the competitive game comes by. Coleman, Doherty, Manning, probably Cunningham are better options at left back in absence of Stevens. Christ I’d even trust O’Connor or Leahy more than I would Hourihane at left back.

Sullivinho
10/09/2019, 3:37 AM
The ball had scarcely left Hourihane's foot and although on a most favourable trajectory, had yet to find the Georgian net. But Mick's inspiration exists independent of time as we know it and in those precious milliseconds, pregnant with possibility, an ulterior prospect exited the birth canal of his dilated mind. It spread quickly to his heart, which warmed intensely at the notion. His tummy, usually inhospitable to emotions or wildlife of any kind, allowed the presence of a lone butterfly for a fleeting instant.

“I've f**king done it” his synapses sparkled.

“I've found the new Hartey.”

Diggs246
10/09/2019, 7:16 AM
It shows that he was speaking nonsense before in relation to not promoting the lads from the u21s. I think he said he wouldn't learn anything of note from a friendly against Bulgaria. Yet he is using it now as a full dress rehearsal for Conor to play at LB against Georgia.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2019, 7:55 AM
I dion't think he is. In The Indo he is quoted as saying that he hopes Doherty will be fit again. He also says very specifically that if the U21s didn't have an important match he'd call some of them up.

backstothewall
10/09/2019, 9:13 AM
I like this Hourihane idea. It's a shot to nothing. If it works great. If not it's no loss.

livehead1
10/09/2019, 10:46 AM
Playing well at left-back against Bulgaria is not going to be evidence enough of an ability to cope there against better opposition.

I'd be much happier putting a round peg in a round hole. It has worked before, Meyler at right-back being a notable example, but on the whole I don't see this as being a worthwhile experiment, particularly given the near certainty of him playing in midfield in the qualifiers going forward.

jbyrne
10/09/2019, 10:49 AM
I like this Hourihane idea. It's a shot to nothing. If it works great. If not it's no loss.

playing brady at LB worked well enough under MON. no harm using a bit of alternative thinking from time to time on these issues