PDA

View Full Version : UCD 1 - Bohs 1

Poor Student
06/05/2005, 9:41 PM
Disappointing score in terms of the performance we put in. Crap goal to concede. Delighted at how we came back into it, some well used substitutions from Mahon. Well worked goal. Really should have won the game. I suppose Tony Mac did well enough with his free header it was a world class save from Kelly. Amazed that Byrne didn't put the one on one away. A though for the future, perhaps play Martin on the wing and Dupuy and McWalter up front? Martin terrorised the Bohs defence from there with his pace. Also excellent crowd in terms of numbers, though it is Bohs we must thank for that but they could learn a thing or two from the Derry boys about singing.

CollegeTillIDie
06/05/2005, 11:18 PM
Poor student
You should call in to the club shop at matches you never know who you might meet ;)

pineapple stu
06/05/2005, 11:34 PM
It's a long time since I was gutted over not beating Bohs...

Good point on Robbie - Bohs couldn't handle his pace. Thought McWalter did well up front too, while Damo did his usual trick of covering every square yard of grass.

Interesting that, with the league table as it was before the game, we'd played all the seven team above us and none of the four teams below us. We're now getting into a bit of form, so six points could be expected from the remaining three games? Put a nice gap between us and the dogfight!

Any, as a report...

Paul Byrne missed a gilt-edged late chance to seal a deserved three points for UCD against Bohs in a game which they were very bit the match for their supposedly more illustrious opponents, and which they completely dominated after going 1-0 down on the hour.

There was only one change from the victory over Derry - Alan Mahon was kept out with the virus which forced him off at half-time last week, so Aidan Lynch started for UCD for the first time in some three years. Gary Dicker was back on the bench after missing two games with the same virus.

A hugely entertaining, flowing game saw controversy as early as the 15th minute, when Robbie Martin was put clear through on goal only to be hauled down by a clumsy challenge from Jimmy Aggrey on the edge of the box. Somehow, the referee deemed this not to be a professional foul, merely booking Aggrey. The free-kick was half-cleared, though a hop-ball was called to allow Aidan Lynch to recover from a hit of the ball.

Ten minutes later, and College should have gone 1-0 up when twice in a few seconds, they had the ball cleared off the line - on one occasion, apparently with the aid of a Bohs defender's hand. Again, the referee didn't spot this, which would have warranted another automatic red.

Bohs had chances as well in an even first half; Fergal Harkin was causing problems out on the left as Aidan Lynch found himself sucked into the middle too often, and they had a good call for a penalty when Lynch went over the top of a Bohs player in the box as they contested a header. And from a corner from the right, a free header at the back post was headed weakly wide.

Thegame really came to life in the second half, though, helped by Bohs taking the lead on 54 minutes. A cross from the left was only partially cleared, but there appeared no danger when the clearance was met with a drive which deflected out to the left; however, Stephen Ward reacted well to steer the ball past Darren Quigley from ten yards. Bohs could have made it 2-0 a few minutes later when one of their players (Harkin?) went for position rather than pace when curling a low shot from the edge of the area; Quigley was down to save comfortably.

The goal sprang College into action, and they dominated most of the rest of the match. Tony McDonnell should have equalised only to see his free header from ten yards well turned away by Matt Gregg. A change midway through the half saw Paul Byrne replace Damien Dupuy, with Robbie Martin moving onto the wing. Martin certainly had the measure of his man, while Byrne, after a slow start, got involved in the game and was central in the 76th minute equaliser. A Jimmy Aggrey backpass was woefully sliced by Gregg, and when a Bohs defender got under the dropping ball, his fresh-aired his attempted hoof clear. Robbie Martin took the throw to Podge McWalter - playing his 50th game for the College - who gave the ball back to Martin; Martin played a lovely 1-2 with Byrne on the edge of the area to split the Bohs defence and he advanced to slide under Gregg in an almost identical manner to the winner against Derry last week.

UCD created more and more chances though, as Bohs' play all too often broke down in midfield and UCD countered quickly. Robbie Martin broke forward in one instance and fed McWalter, whose dipping, curling shot caught in the wind and carried only inches over the bar. A few penalty area scrambles saw no joy for UCD as Bohs defended grimly, while Aidan Lynch was a couple of yards over with a 25-yard drive. Then in injury-time, substitute Gary Dicker played a perfect through ball for Paul Byrne to run on to - he slid under the advancing keeper but agonisingly wide of the post. The referee, however, awarded a corner no-one seemed to be expecting, indicating that (in his mind at least!!), Gregg had made a superb save to earn his side a scarcely-deserved draw.

Struggling Harps in Ballybofey are the next opponents for UCD - they have to win sometime, obviously but, at the risk of jinxing things, if UCD play as well as this over the next three weeks, the return of six points is certainly feasible and a mid-table finish is definitely attainable. And who knows what might happen if we can just be that bit more clinical in front of goal...!

UCD - Quigley; Lynch, O'Donnell, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, Anto Murphy (Gannon 83), Hurley (Dicker 70), Dupuy (Byrne 63); McWalter, Martin. Subs not used - Gallagher, Adrian Murphy

Att - c 1150

Incidentally, I'm sure I've left out a few more chances for us in the second half - anyone to jog my memory?

pineapple stu
06/05/2005, 11:35 PM
Thread on the Bohs MB (http://gypsiesweb.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1115415808) about the match. Considering that Mahon is their Doolin, their praise is very high indeed!

Poor Student
06/05/2005, 11:45 PM
Poor student
You should call in to the club shop at matches you never know who you might meet ;)

Sorry CTID, I do intend to introduce myself when I buy the programme before the game but I feel awkward about holding up the shop.

On the game, I do remember Aggrey made a second foul where I felt McWalter was through and the ref didn'tyt bother to play advantage. It was after the first one where I reckon he should have been sent off. Didn't notice the claimed handball on the line myself. I forgot about McWalter's chance at the end too. Damn, we should have killed the game! It said it all for me when I was delighted to hear there was three more minutes of injury time. Also when Bohs scored I never doubted we'd equalise. IMO this is two points dropped and given the quality of the current Bohs side it is disappointing not to beat them.

In an aside, Bohs fans are the greatest shower of moans. They're on Farrelly's back already, they went on about how crap Foley is for 90 minutes and they are already ironically cheering any completed pass by Aggrey. All the Bohs fans around me were tripping over themselves to be the first to say "I told you so" when we scored. It'd odd how many of them turned up to on a miserable day to watch them perform not so great and moan and not sing. I know we hardly excell at that ourselves but they are the supposed big club.

sonofstan
07/05/2005, 12:24 AM
you can't accuse us of being fair weather fans

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2005, 9:21 AM
you can't accuse us of being fair weather fans

To be fair the weather was CAT! :D

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2005, 9:31 AM
Sorry CTID, I do intend to introduce myself when I buy the programme before the game but I feel awkward about holding up the shop.
Call back during the game it is quieter after kick-off. Managed to locate that old program you wanted too!

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2005, 9:37 AM
Thread on the Bohs MB (http://gypsiesweb.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1115415808) about the match. Considering that Mahon is their Doolin, their praise is very high indeed!

pineapple stu

How is Mahon their Doolin? He didn't jump ship for ROvers for example. He was forced to resign.An element of their fans hounded him out of the club. They verbally abused his wife and daughter not only inside Dalymount but also not far from their home. Can you expect any man to put up with that from a bunch of people who call themselves supporters of the club he manages?

Colie
07/05/2005, 11:09 AM
Byrne shouldda finished it off. It's the classy ones that put them beyond doubt. Gutted at dropping 2 points. :(

Poor Student
07/05/2005, 12:06 PM
Call back during the game it is quieter after kick-off. Managed to locate that old program you wanted too!

Oh great, thanks, ok I'll do that then. Sadly it's 3 weeks to the next home game.

Sonofstan, that is true, just seemed like a bunch of masochists though. Turned up not to enjoy the game. :p

Schumi
07/05/2005, 12:26 PM
Bohs fans in moaning shocker! :D

In fairness I couldn't argue with many of their complaints, Aggrey was hopeless, we were saying that he reminded us of Niall Donnelly except more awkward! Foley did nothing and Farrelly didn't impose himself on the game either.

A good performance from us, the midfield did very well against two players of the class of Hunt and Farrelly and we created chances all through the game. The only worry I'd have is Aidan Lynch at right-back. He was playing far too centrally and left Ward on their left far too much room, forcing Anto Murphy to track back to cover. I don't know if this was deliberate on Mahon's part (maybe he was scared on Ward's pace against Lynch or something) but it didn't seem very well advised.

I'm looking forward to seeing our first half chances on the TV on Monday. I was sure one of them was in until the ball reappeared back out in the box. :o It'll be interesting to see how much of a touch the keeper (Gregg rather than Kelly incidentally) got on Byrne's chance at the end.

pineapple stu
07/05/2005, 1:10 PM
How is Mahon their Doolin?
They hate him. Them praising UCD's performance under Mahon is like us praising Drogheda's performance under Doolin.

QED! ;)

pineapple stu
07/05/2005, 1:12 PM
The only worry I'd have is Aidan Lynch at right-back. He was playing far too centrally and left Ward on their left far too much room, forcing Anto Murphy to track back to cover.
In fairness, I thought Lynch was much more solid in the second half. Maybe it was because Bohs were being pushed back more - or maybe because Lynch was at the far side of the pitch - but he played better, I thought.

ilovejam
07/05/2005, 3:52 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing our first half chances on the TV on Monday.

I think the camera was a Bohs camera and not a TV3 camera. i.e Bohs recording the game for their own analysis. I may be wrong though.

It might be stupid to think this but would the fact that there is a RTE advertisement board opposite the camera gantry explain why UCD games are so rarely shown on the EL Weekly??

Promising performance again, pity we couldn't put the chances away. I think all games where we have dropped points in, barring the Drogs game, UCD should have won the games with the amount of chances missed.

sonofstan
07/05/2005, 4:31 PM

Sonofstan, that is true, just seemed like a bunch of masochists though. Turned up not to enjoy the game. :p

I know we probably seemed to be in an even worse mood than usual, but that was because most of us would have been in Drogheda last week - and the ones that weren't would have been told about it endlessly all week - where for the first time this season we actually produced something worthy of the club and after which most of us would have headed back to Dalymount feeling optimistic ; which made the return of the same old underperformance and lack of commitment harder to bear; weather didn't help either of course; come to think of it, I've never enjoyed a Bohs/ UCD match - though I've gone to see you guys play other teams and had quite a good time

CollegeTillIDie
07/05/2005, 5:16 PM
I know we probably seemed to be in an even worse mood than usual, but that was because most of us would have been in Drogheda last week - and the ones that weren't would have been told about it endlessly all week - where for the first time this season we actually produced something worthy of the club and after which most of us would have headed back to Dalymount feeling optimistic ; which made the return of the same old underperformance and lack of commitment harder to bear; weather didn't help either of course; come to think of it, I've never enjoyed a Bohs/ UCD match - though I've gone to see you guys play other teams and had quite a good time

You tonked us 6-0 one time.. did you not get a teensy bit of enjoyment out of that one? :eek:

sonofstan
07/05/2005, 7:17 PM
You tonked us 6-0 one time.. did you not get a teensy bit of enjoyment out of that one? :eek:

wasn't there for reasons I now can't remember, but there was probably some Bohs fans questioning the commitment of whoever didn't score

pineapple stu
07/05/2005, 11:37 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing our first half chances on the TV on Monday.
If it's on, yeah. Forgot about Podge's chance in the first half in my report - played through by Robbie Martin, I think, one-on-one with the keeper who saved well with his feet.

Irish Times article didn't even mention Paul Byrne's chance at the end and gave the impression that we were lucky to come away with a point ("Martin Goal Rescues UCD" as the headline and "Bohs comfortably defended their lead"), while the Aertel report was its usual appalling self... :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
08/05/2005, 10:14 AM
If it's on, yeah. Forgot about Podge's chance in the first half in my report - played through by Robbie Martin, I think, one-on-one with the keeper who saved well with his feet.

Irish Times article didn't even mention Paul Byrne's chance at the end and gave the impression that we were lucky to come away with a point ("Martin Goal Rescues UCD" as the headline and "Bohs comfortably defended their lead"), while the Aertel report was its usual appalling self... :rolleyes:
If you judged the Irishness of the Irish Times by it's level of Eircom League coverage you could take them to task under the Trade Descriptions Act for false advertising. :(

Colie
08/05/2005, 3:16 PM
Did Robbie move to the left wing after Dupuy went off or was it a 3 up front buzz? Looked like he was on the wing. He was bloody class out there & Podges game changed no end as a result.

Nice to see Robbie salute the fans after his goal too. :cool:

Poor Student
08/05/2005, 4:02 PM
Did Robbie move to the left wing after Dupuy went off or was it a 3 up front buzz? Looked like he was on the wing. He was bloody class out there & Podges game changed no end as a result.

Nice to see Robbie salute the fans after his goal too. :cool:

Yes, Byrne came on for Damo and partnered Pat up front and Martin went out wide left. I wouldn't call it three up front as Martin was very wide and came quite deep to get the ball. His interplay with McWalter from there was great and lead to the goal. I'd be very tempted to go with Dupuy and Pat up front and Martin out wide left next week with Byrne to come on if it doesn't work out. I must say all Martin's goals have been very well placed finishes this season.

Stu, I read the article and thought the exact same thing. It made it out like Bohs took a deserved lead, UCD equalised against the run of play and desperately and luckily clung on for the point. Ridiculous misleading report. I think the one from the Waterford game also made it out like we had a poor 2nd half. Poor poor reporting.

Colie
08/05/2005, 4:07 PM
Stu, I read the article and thought the exact same thing. It made it out like Bohs took a deserved lead, UCD equalised against the run of play and desperately and luckily clung on for the point. Ridiculous misleading report. I think the one from the Waterford game also made it out like we had a poor 2nd half. Poor poor reporting.

Are they even there or do they just ask some away fans after the game?

Poor Student
08/05/2005, 4:11 PM
Are they even there or do they just ask some away fans after the game?

You really would wonder wouldn't you? I have to imagine they weren't there. Surely your leaving impression from the game would be that UCD could have taken it with Byrne's 1 on 1 and Pat's last min strike that went just over. Now I know you may be tight for culumn space but that doesn't mean you portray a team's performance drastically incorrectly. :confused:

Colie
08/05/2005, 5:23 PM
You really would wonder wouldn't you? I

Next home game I'm gonna go up the the "press box" in the stand where the journalists sit & ask them if one of them is from The Times.

CollegeTillIDie
08/05/2005, 5:28 PM
Next home game I'm gonna go up the the "press box" in the stand where the journalists sit & ask them if one of them is from The Times.
The Irish Times reporter was there as I know him personally. Chances are it was crap sub-editing of his piece.

Aberdonian Stu
08/05/2005, 5:45 PM
All I can say is that I mightn't be as unfit as gareth Farrely, but I can try.

Schumi
09/05/2005, 12:14 PM
More sensible report (http://eleven-a-side.com/ucd/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=17209) on eleven a side.

pineapple stu
09/05/2005, 12:26 PM
That glancing header from Paul Byrne the report mentions - was that Tony Mac's effort or was there another one? Or did I just mistake Paul Byrne for Tony Mac...?!

Robbie on the wing and Damo up front would be interesting... Podge has really come into his own since moving up front - gives defences headaches running at them. Great to see!

Poor Student
09/05/2005, 12:41 PM
That glancing header from Paul Byrne the report mentions - was that Tony Mac's effort or was there another one? Or did I just mistake Paul Byrne for Tony Mac...?!

Robbie on the wing and Damo up front would be interesting... Podge has really come into his own since moving up front - gives defences headaches running at them. Great to see!

That was definately Tony Mac and I remember no such header from Byrne. Whatever about Martin on the wing Pat belongs up front.