Saturday 7th
FAI Cup

Sligo v UCD 7:45

Monday 9th
FAI Cup
Waterford v Dundalk 7:45

ger121
04/09/2019, 2:57 PM
Can we try and keep this thread from being locked, gents.

sbgawa
04/09/2019, 2:58 PM
Cork v Dundalk may not have the old buzz to it but the return of a certain Manager might get the locals (of a certain vintage anyway) excited.
3 losses to start off as Manager of Cork would be a pretty poor start but based on form that has a loss to Galway draw with Cabo (win on penos and losses to Waterford and Sligo it would be a big turnaround for Cork to get anything at Dundalk. The league is over but going 10 points clear will silence anybody daft enough to think otherwise

A Harps win over Pats would asuming Cork lose in Dundalk put Harps within 4 points of Cork......Cold Cork be relegated ????? surely not

Galway Rovers should be a Rovers win , not sure of the stat but its something mad like 12 wins in a row for Rovers against Galway..even without Jack Byrne away with the Ireland squad no excuses here.

Which UCD turns up (beat Pats 3 nil lose abjectly everywhere else
Whcih Sligo show up , win 4-2 in Cork , lose abjectly at home to Dundalk

Waterford v Dundalk ......only one winner here , Waterford on a bad run with the exception of the win in Cork.

Ezeikial
04/09/2019, 3:18 PM
Cork v Dundalk may not have the old buzz to it but the return of a certain Manager might get the locals (of a certain vintage anyway) excited.
3 losses to start off as Manager of Cork would be a pretty poor start but based on form that has a loss to Galway draw with Cabo (win on penos and losses to Waterford and Sligo it would be a big turnaround for Cork to get anything at Dundalk. The league is over but going 10 points clear will silence anybody daft enough to think otherwise

It's only 9 years ago since he scum-bagged his way out of Oriel. That level deceit, duplicity and lack of any semblance of integrity is not easily forgotten in one lifetime.

He is likely to be reminded of that on Friday - hopefully any verbal niceties will be accompanied by a footballing lesson for him to digest on his long journey home.

Jd2793
04/09/2019, 3:32 PM
Will Byrne be released to play with Rovers?

El-Pietro
04/09/2019, 3:39 PM
We're going to be hammered.

sbgawa
04/09/2019, 5:00 PM
Will Byrne be released to play with Rovers?

Assuming he doesn't play (wouldn't be Ireland if we played a player who can actually pass the ball) you'd think they would release him for Friday.

Nesta99
04/09/2019, 8:06 PM
Couple of things on Fridays game in Oriel, the players have not lessened the desire to turn Cork over considering there are still plenty of players, like Sheppard, from the rivalry seasons at Cork (and Dundalk). That niggle wont have gone so Dundalk will be looking to rub in a comprehensive result and display. That Fenn is in charge will have the home support frothing at the mouth - there will be no shortage of reminding him that he is a complete toerag and it is one incident that doesnt seem to have lost its edge in almost a decade which is rare for for something to linger for so long. So there is no shortage of motivation for Dundalk, players and fans who care plenty about this fixture so that obviously means we will be beaten in the shock result of the weekend!!

Martinho II
05/09/2019, 6:19 PM
It's only 9 years ago since he scum-bagged his way out of Oriel. That level deceit, duplicity and lack of any semblance of integrity is not easily forgotten in one lifetime.

He is likely to be reminded of that on Friday - hopefully any verbal niceties will be accompanied by a footballing lesson for him to digest on his long journey home.

think a few of the section o lads are heading out to oriel to help ye out as one of our crew lives there!

Martinho II
05/09/2019, 6:21 PM
We're going to be hammered.

Is Fenn chipping in towards your drinks bill El Pietro? God love him he looks like he needs a drink in him!

RathfarnhamHoop
05/09/2019, 8:57 PM
think a few of the section o lads are heading out to oriel to help ye out as one of our crew lives there!

Are people actually going all the way to Dundalk just to have a go at a manager that left you? When 10/10 managers would have done the same?

Longfordian
05/09/2019, 10:16 PM
If they are going solely for that it's a bit stupid to be honest. Not suggesting he gets a hero's welcome next time he's in Longford but we got whatever small amount of compensation we were entitled to, he did what was best for him, we should all move on in a professional way. Until he's in Longford again or we're in Cork and he's fair game for some stick.

The Lilywhites
05/09/2019, 11:49 PM
Are people actually going all the way to Dundalk just to have a go at a manager that left you? When 10/10 managers would have done the same?

Isn't there a Longford fan who's now morphed into a Dundalk fan and quite open about his change of allegiance. Must be a strange bunch!

ToberonaTornado
06/09/2019, 8:08 AM
Couple of things on Fridays game in Oriel, the players have not lessened the desire to turn Cork over considering there are still plenty of players, like Sheppard, from the rivalry seasons at Cork (and Dundalk). That niggle wont have gone so Dundalk will be looking to rub in a comprehensive result and display. That Fenn is in charge will have the home support frothing at the mouth - there will be no shortage of reminding him that he is a complete toerag and it is one incident that doesnt seem to have lost its edge in almost a decade which is rare for for something to linger for so long. So there is no shortage of motivation for Dundalk, players and fans who care plenty about this fixture so that obviously means we will be beaten in the shock result of the weekend!!

Rip out the bottom part of your comment there Nesta and i'd be in 100% agreement with you.
The way Dundalk dispatched Sligo on Monday,the commitment and professionalism from all the players was extraordinary!If they carry both in to tonight's game(and i have no doubt they will) then there will only be one outcome.
1-0 will be fine with me btw but i expect it to be more.;) Fenn a sideshow.

El-Pietro
06/09/2019, 8:14 AM
Isn't there a Longford fan who's now morphed into a Dundalk fan and quite open about his change of allegiance. Must be a strange bunch!
The lads on the Longford podcast have been very clearly supporting Dundalk for a few seasons now.

oriel
06/09/2019, 8:26 AM

Just to be clear, he may be a manager now, but he was a DFC player in 2009 while under contract, then retired, club agreed to cancel his contract, most would consider that would mean he would not play within the league again, then about a month later he joined Rovers as a player.

Its past history in my book, bigger fish to fry and this being getting the first of 3 wins tonight, that are needed to win the league in September, which can be done as long as can win the next 3 league games.

DFC also doing a good promotion tonight, kids in for €1, free burgers, face painting etc, it should be FENNtastic.................sorry I`ll get my coat!

RathfarnhamHoop
06/09/2019, 10:16 AM
Just to be clear, he may be a manager now, but he was a DFC player in 2009 while under contract, then retired, club agreed to cancel his contract, most would consider that would mean he would not play within the league again, then about a month later he joined Rovers as a player.

Its past history in my book, bigger fish to fry and this being getting the first of 3 wins tonight, that are needed to win the league in September, which can be done as long as can win the next 3 league games.

DFC also doing a good promotion tonight, kids in for €1, free burgers, face painting etc, it should be FENNtastic.................sorry I`ll get my coat!

Really? I didn't know that, you'd have thought one of the Dundalk fans on here might have mentioned it sometime :rolleyes:

What has any of that got to do with Longford?

Any Longford fan going all the way to Dundalk just to abuse a manager that left them for a bigger job is a seriously sad individual.

Nesta99
06/09/2019, 11:23 AM
Another thing that is sad is attacking a post with sarcasm that is lighthearted and intened to take the heat out of the issue at hand and stating that the fuss is irrelavent. Was that bit missed or was all that was seen was the mention of Rovers?

oriel
06/09/2019, 11:41 AM
Really? I didn't know that, you'd have thought one of the Dundalk fans on here might have mentioned it sometime :rolleyes:

What has any of that got to do with Longford?

Any Longford fan going all the way to Dundalk just to abuse a manager that left them for a bigger job is a seriously sad individual.

Apologies, totally mis-read this, it was of course directed at the Longford fan guy, who has since moved to Dlk.

If its the same guy we think, to be fair he has been going to a lot of DFC games for a good few years, his girlfriend is from a big DFC supporting family.

Jd2793
06/09/2019, 12:36 PM

Going to meet the Longford fan who supports Dundalk?

vinnie
06/09/2019, 12:56 PM

Fair play Dundalk, excellent Idea

Ezeikial
06/09/2019, 4:01 PM
In case anyone was unaware of the details, Gavin McLaughlin kindly filling in with some reminders

RETRO | 2010: Neale Fenn announces his retirement…..and then signs for Shamrock Rovers five days later!

Nine years ago, Dundalk FC striker Neale Fenn announced that he was retiring from football …..only to sign for Shamrock Rovers less than a week later! Ahead of his return to Oriel Park with Cork City on Friday night, Dundalk Sport takes a look back at a dramatic couple of weeks in 2010.

More at

https://dundalksport.ie/retro-2010-neale-fenn-announces-his-retirement-and-42182c7d94fd

El-Pietro
06/09/2019, 4:14 PM
I still don't understand why Dundalk released his registration. If he was retiring then surely there was no need. Seems very naive of them.

Ezeikial
06/09/2019, 5:01 PM
I still don't understand why Dundalk released his registration. If he was retiring then surely there was no need. Seems very naive of them.

As far as I know, he wanted the option to play lower level football after claiming his tax rebate

Some would argue that he should not have been treated with respect or his word taken at face value. When someone abuses trust or shows no inkling of integrity, those who gave that trust, behaving with decency and understanding can be accused of being naive. That's sad and ends up making some people less trusting and more cynical.

Fenn was the problem, not those who accepted his word

Nesta99
06/09/2019, 6:08 PM
And by lower level of football he specified non-league football, Shamrock Rovers didnt count! The PFAI escaped a lot of the ire in this as Fenn sought advice on how to go about getting out of a contract, getting registration back to make a move and avoid a transfer fee. It wasnt that he had decided to call it a day and changed his mind when Rovers came knocking! He had been sussed out on a potential move so there was other club involvement also. We inadvertantly ended up with a better player as a result though!

sbgawa
06/09/2019, 9:06 PM
Hard on Galway to lose in the last minute.
Keeps an amazing run going 19 wins in a row and unbeaten in 29 against Galway.
Statistically mad odds of that happening

Candystripe
06/09/2019, 9:13 PM
Hard on Galway to lose in the last minute.
Keeps an amazing run going 19 wins in a row and unbeaten in 29 against Galway.
Statistically mad odds of that happening

I think stats will show that in Derry city v Finn Harps games that isn't as unusual as you think. :)

sbgawa
06/09/2019, 9:34 PM
Go on ??

Jd2793
06/09/2019, 9:49 PM
Cork with a more respectable result tonight minus a few bodies. Nice for the travelling Longford town weirdos that they can join the turncoat from BTS and celebrate a Dundalk win.

joey B
06/09/2019, 9:59 PM
Got exactly what we deserved tonight,gave Pats far too much respect,gifted them the winner,could barely muster aa shot on goal after falling behind.
Thankfully that will put the catching Cork business to bed because its UCD we should be worrying about......

oriel
06/09/2019, 10:02 PM
All working out nicely for DFC to win the league on Monday 23rd now, need to beat Waterford away on Fri 20th then Rovers at home on Monday 23rd for that to happen.

I could be wrong but not sure the league has been won in September before? It still might not happen mind, I have a felling it won't go as smooth as some think, but Dundalk are on some run, last defeat in the league was in mid April.

Cork were quite dogged tonight, seemed to have more belief about them, better set up. The keeper looked a much better option than our old friend McNulty.

ToberonaTornado
06/09/2019, 10:08 PM
Rip out the bottom part of your comment there Nesta and i'd be in 100% agreement with you.
The way Dundalk dispatched Sligo on Monday,the commitment and professionalism from all the players was extraordinary!If they carry both in to tonight's game(and i have no doubt they will) then there will only be one outcome.
1-0 will be fine with me btw but i expect it to be more.;) Fenn a sideshow.

20 silk cut sucked :D
Some boyo that Georgie kelly fella :love_heart:
Corks total BLANKET defence was working so well up until the big man came on!Only took him about a minute to snatch the deserved winner for Dundalk.
Absolute scenes around OP when he scored and at ft.

White Horse
06/09/2019, 10:11 PM
Stuttering Dundalk performance against a poor side tonight. Rogers didn't have a single shot on target to trouble him. The goal eventually came via Georgie Kelly, who is making a habit of getting important goals.

Beat Waterford in the league and Dundalk can wrap up the title by beating Shamrock Rovers.

Fair play to Mark O'Sullivan tonight. I thought he was finished but he held the ball up well and was clever in his play.

ToberonaTornado
06/09/2019, 10:12 PM
Cork with a more respectable result tonight minus a few bodies. Nice for the travelling Longford town weirdos that they can join the turncoat from BTS and celebrate a Dundalk win.
They came in their thousands :D
C'mon the\de town.
Catch a grip for feck sake.

mcgonigle
06/09/2019, 10:28 PM
I could be wrong but not sure the league has been won in September before?

No but Rovers won it in April once

nigel-harps1954
06/09/2019, 10:56 PM
Harps gifted Pats a win tonight. Toothless performance.

joey B
06/09/2019, 11:02 PM
Hand of god at Oriel????

D24Saint
06/09/2019, 11:02 PM
Harps gifted Pats a win tonight. Toothless performance.

im a reasonable man so I will take it

PartySaint
07/09/2019, 6:56 AM
Looking forward to our title race with Dundalk next season.

ToberonaTornado
07/09/2019, 8:41 AM
Hand of god at Oriel????

God bless poor Dan Casey in his hour of need(for attention)

Nesta99
07/09/2019, 10:51 AM
If Cork could motivate themselves and work as hard against other sides as they do against Dundalk they wouldnt be in their lowly position. Lucky that St Pats grabbed the 2 second half goals to the gap with harps remeained the same. Wasnt a game that Harps would be expected to win really. There are additional challanges ahead where picking up points is possible so still plenty to play for in the play-off battle!

Ezeikial
07/09/2019, 11:11 AM
With another clean sheet at Oriel Park last night, you have to go back to May for the last league goal Dundalk have conceded at home (Danny Grant for Bohs in the 2-1 home win)

The away defensive form is pretty impressive too, with only 7 goals conceded away in 15 games similar to the 6 in 15 at home.

White Horse
07/09/2019, 11:23 AM
With another clean sheet at Oriel Park last night, you have to go back to May for the last league goal Dundalk have conceded at home..

That is outrageous form.

pineapple stu
07/09/2019, 11:52 AM
Sligo probably aren't far off matching it at this stage :)

Ezeikial
07/09/2019, 12:53 PM
Sligo probably aren't far off matching it at this stage :)

Matching what?

Jack B
07/09/2019, 12:54 PM
We were very dodgy in the first half but picked it up in the second. O'Donnell has scored points already for not sticking 5 at the back against a lesser side, though I hope we don't stick with Desmond in midfield because as much as he can more than hold his own there he's still our best centre back (Lennon will probably slot back in once he's available tbf).

I'd be despairing at the winner if I was a Harps fan though, they absolutely gifted it to us.

Nesta99
07/09/2019, 4:50 PM
That is outrageous form.

Yet VP being replaced by Barnby rumour persists and mentioned a number of times last night. Ridiculous to entertain any such suggestion!

ToberonaTornado
07/09/2019, 5:08 PM
Yet VP being replaced by Barnby rumour persists and mentioned a number of times last night. Ridiculous to entertain any such suggestion!

As in Nicky Barmby?The Spurs guy
Where do you sit or stand in OP :D
Never once have i heard his name mentioned as a possible coach here.Someones winding your chain Nesta i think.

Ezeikial
07/09/2019, 5:36 PM
As in Nicky Barmby?The Spurs guy
Where do you sit or stand in OP :D
Never once have i heard his name mentioned as a possible coach here.Someones winding your chain Nesta i think.

The Barmby rumour is old news, but was floating around last July

James Rogers mentioned it in a recent article, which probably explains the chat among some fans

This is a snippet:
The day after Dundalk’s 0-0 first leg draw with Riga the chat in the players’ gym was not so much on the match the night before but rather over rumours linking former Tottenham and Liverpool winger Nick Barmby with some form of managerial or coaching role at the club.

ToberonaTornado
07/09/2019, 5:48 PM
Fair enough.
Have to admit i never heard\read that rumour and JR is a good source for DFC info.

Is he(James) barred from OP as per SGBWA's post a few days ago?Only asking cos i swore i seen him in the OP press box last night ;)