PDA

View Full Version : Stephen O'Donnell

patsdad
31/08/2019, 11:38 AM
An eye-opening appointment. Obviously it's risky but it could turn out to be a game-changer for Pats.

D24Saint
31/08/2019, 1:32 PM
Interesting times ahead. I’m optimistic about his appointment but that can be dangerous in LOI. I wish him all the best and will give him time & support.

Martinho II
31/08/2019, 2:19 PM
surprise appointment this but he must have impressed greatly at dundalk. from listening to different podcasts I heard great things about SOD!

D24Saint
31/08/2019, 2:35 PM
surprise appointment this but he must have impressed greatly at dundalk. from listening to different podcasts I heard great things about SOD!

Im getting the impression that he must have given a very impressive interview. He seems a very ambitious and determined character.

marinobohs
31/08/2019, 3:07 PM
Could be a very good appointment for Pats. Excellent player who always struck me as being knowledgeable about the game. Should get more out of that squad than Kenny did even short term.

D24Saint
31/08/2019, 3:27 PM
Most need a root up the hole so hopefully he sorts it out.

desaintsno.12
31/08/2019, 3:32 PM
Can't say I'm delighted with this. Another risk after the Kenny disaster.

D24Saint
31/08/2019, 3:40 PM
Can't say I'm delighted with this. Another risk after the Kenny disaster.

It is a gamble no doubt but as was said on the pats forum Kenny was seen as a sure thing & a safe bet and was a disaster.

placid casual
31/08/2019, 6:54 PM
Perhaps it's the players.... What is the story with Forrester? Does he put the work in or is he just not bothered and his head has gone with the off field trauma he's experienced.
I would guess the age profile at Pats is quite old,no? There's a rake of Rovers rejects there anyway. Perhaps sideways can get a tune out of them. If Shels get promoted up it will be fairly cut throat for player acquisition next season in Dublin.

Dalymountrower
31/08/2019, 10:43 PM
Put all their eggs in the Forrester basket, pretty much blew their seasons budget on him, sorry for him that his experiences in the UK have had such a bad effect on him.
Stephen O Donnell an interesting appointment, not sure that Pats problem was Harry Kenny, convenient scapegoat imhp.

Jack B
31/08/2019, 11:12 PM
Put all their eggs in the Forrester basket, pretty much blew their seasons budget on him,

This really isn't the case.

desaintsno.12
01/09/2019, 2:03 AM
not sure that Pats problem was Harry Kenny

It absolutely was

D24Saint
01/09/2019, 6:50 AM
Put all their eggs in the Forrester basket, pretty much blew their seasons budget on him, sorry for him that his experiences in the UK have had such a bad effect on him.
Stephen O Donnell an interesting appointment, not sure that Pats problem was Harry Kenny, convenient scapegoat imhp.

Forester was an addition to the budget when he became available. There is no way Harry Kenny is a scapegoat if your manager can’t set the team up, motivate or think on his feet you are knackered. I feel sorry for Harry but when it came to the crunch he wasn’t up to it.

Martinho II
01/09/2019, 6:26 PM
Forester was an addition to the budget when he became available. There is no way Harry Kenny is a scapegoat if your manager can’t set the team up, motivate or think on his feet you are knackered. I feel sorry for Harry but when it came to the crunch he wasn’t up to it.

Strangely enough at Bray HK was impressive but when there was money. But I think hes better as a no 2 imo!

Dalymountrower
02/09/2019, 8:53 AM
As I said, blew the budget on the late (emotional ) addition of Forrester. So no budget left for mid season strengthening of squad.
HK got a limited squad to a position where it is competing for third place. Pats have been at that level, or below, for the last two/three years.
We will see if Stephen O Donnell makes a difference.Lots of leadership qualities, that's for sure.

PartySaint
02/09/2019, 3:45 PM
As I said, blew the budget on the late (emotional ) addition of Forrester. So no budget left for mid season strengthening of squad.
HK got a limited squad to a position where it is competing for third place. Pats have been at that level, or below, for the last two/three years.
We will see if Stephen O Donnell makes a difference.Lots of leadership qualities, that's for sure.

We brought in 2 new players mid season.

seand
02/09/2019, 3:54 PM
Leadership and motivation, I'd expect, certainly. I don't know if he's even started towards his Pro Licence though, has he? What a player though, and only limited to just the six league medals by injury.

Nesta99
02/09/2019, 5:56 PM
He was managing DkITs football sides as part of his coaching badge requirements and has just finished his 'A' licence. There is usually 18 months or 2 years between FAI pro licence courses. He could be signed up on one of the IFA/SFA or FA courses though. The FAI are changing the rules on the need for a pro licence back to being registered on course as the minimum requirement if there are x number of years as a pro player and in a coaching role, so St Pats may not need John Gill back for next season.

It will be very interesting to see if there is much change to St Pat's performances this season, and then the sort of team he looks to build. He certainly has the attributes to be a great manager at face value. As Sean says motivation and his expection of players will undoubtedly be stepped up. But who knows how he will turn out as a tactitian. As a player that naturally always seem to have time on the ball and always looked to maintain possession it will be fascinating to see if can he get that composure etc coached in to his sides or recruit players than will play that way. My gut feeling is that this is shrewd appointment by St Pats!

TonyD
02/09/2019, 7:55 PM
. My gut feeling is that this is shrewd appointment by St Pats!

Here's hoping. I really don't think there is too much wrong with the squad player wise, at least as far as getting top 3/4. We're lacking a real quality midfielder/Striker and possibly a wide player , to be title contenders. As far as being an ageing squad, don't think that's the case at all. Not sure we have anyone over thirty. Bermingham, Madden and Brendan Clarke are all around that I think. The rest of the squad is young enough.