PDA

View Full Version : Kerry to join 2020 First Division?

culloty82
23/08/2019, 3:51 PM
According to this week's Kerry's Eye: " At the monthly meeting of the KDL, Secretary John O'Regan informed delegates that negotiations were ongoing as regards to the feasibility of such a massive venture going ahead. The Management Committee of the KDL were to meet with prominent figures on Monday regarding the matter, but the meeting was put back to allow further approaches to be made with the possibility of students from IT Tralee making up some of the squad. "

It would be a natural progression from involvement in all four underage leagues, even if the U-19s have taken a number of heavy defeats this season.

RathfarnhamHoop
23/08/2019, 4:23 PM
Great news that they're at least looking at it. Hopefully means Monaghan-Cavan aren't far behind.

Martinho II
23/08/2019, 5:09 PM
Great news that they're at least looking at it. Hopefully means Monaghan-Cavan aren't far behind.

what does this mean for the first division? a possible expansion?

culloty82
23/08/2019, 6:18 PM
Remains to be seen - would require the major clubs (Killarney Celtic & Athletic, St Brendans' Park etc) to give their approval, and Tralee Dynamos still haven't recovered from the A Championship. If there was an 11-team First Division, there may well need to be a split near the end, as otherwise clubs would lose out on six games (10 x 3).

Nesta99
23/08/2019, 6:21 PM
Where's our resident Kerry 'pyramid system' member? He could spontaneously combust at the possibility of this happening;)

marinobohs
23/08/2019, 7:08 PM
Now that Dublin have taken over the bogball Kerry obviously looking for another sport 😁

EatYerGreens
23/08/2019, 8:28 PM
Remains to be seen - would require the major clubs (Killarney Celtic & Athletic, St Brendans' Park etc) to give their approval, and Tralee Dynamos still haven't recovered from the A Championship. If there was an 11-team First Division, there may well need to be a split near the end, as otherwise clubs would lose out on six games (10 x 3).

I can't see the FAI/League being interested in an 11 team First Division. So this must mean that there's another club in the pipeline too - either to join at the same time (most likely) or shortly afterwards (i.e. after one season).

Any likely runners and riders for that ? The return of Monaghan United ? The unlikely appearance of the ghost of Belfast Celtic ? Bertie Ahern reforming his lost lifelong love Drumcondra ?

NeverFeltBetter
23/08/2019, 10:26 PM
Don't discount the possibility of a club leaving the league. Not thinking of anyone in particular...

Charlie Darwin
24/08/2019, 3:33 AM
what does this mean for the first division? a possible expansion?
Or they replace Limerick.

nigel-harps1954
24/08/2019, 4:17 PM
Likely to see a Monaghan/Cavan team in the next year or two as well. I'd say what's most likely is next season will go on with 10 teams and both Monaghan/Cavan and Kerry League will join in 2021.

Martinho II
24/08/2019, 4:28 PM
I can't see the FAI/League being interested in an 11 team First Division. So this must mean that there's another club in the pipeline too - either to join at the same time (most likely) or shortly afterwards (i.e. after one season).

Any likely runners and riders for that ? The return of Monaghan United ? The unlikely appearance of the ghost of Belfast Celtic ? Bertie Ahern reforming his lost lifelong love Drumcondra ?

Monaghan Utd /Monaghan/Cavan had their first senior match a couple of weeks back. cant remember who they were playing but think it was a friendly. saw a piece online about it.

David BOHie
24/08/2019, 11:28 PM
Likely to see a Monaghan/Cavan team in the next year or two as well. I'd say what's most likely is next season will go on with 10 teams and both Monaghan/Cavan and Kerry League will join in 2021.

That would be fantastic. Two quality additions to the league.

With Kildare, Kilkenny and Mayo etc flirting with the national leagues as well you'd like to see them make the step up eventually. But think Kerry and Cavan-Monaghan are the only two teams other than the LOI teams who have 13s, 15s, 17s and 19s

Shearer
24/08/2019, 11:35 PM
Monaghan Utd /Monaghan/Cavan had their first senior match a couple of weeks back. cant remember who they were playing but think it was a friendly. saw a piece online about it.
Any chance you could try and link it?

blueblood
25/08/2019, 3:00 PM
Kerry League /Limerick/Cork /Waterford joined might be capable of producing an OK club someday 😁

da bishop
25/08/2019, 3:19 PM
Should just scrap the First Division,do a couple of region divisions,present setup has been dying a long time.

EatYerGreens
25/08/2019, 4:05 PM
That would be fantastic. Two quality additions to the league.

With Kildare, Kilkenny and Mayo etc flirting with the national leagues as well you'd like to see them make the step up eventually. But think Kerry and Cavan-Monaghan are the only two teams other than the LOI teams who have 13s, 15s, 17s and 19s

At a senior level ?

Martinho II
25/08/2019, 6:52 PM
Any chance you could try and link it?

yeah no bother if I come across it will link no bother Shearer!

David BOHie
29/08/2019, 11:01 AM
At a senior level ?

They all playing in either the 13s, 15s, 17s or 19s or a selection of them. Kerry and Cavan-Monaghan are the only two that play in all four leagues.

It's a natural progression that the current Kildare U13s will aspire to be 15s in a few years. Then eventually play senior. Would be a great geographical spread to add a few of those teams to the league

Nesta99
29/08/2019, 12:25 PM
Kerry League /Limerick/Cork /Waterford joined might be capable of producing an OK club someday 

Munster FC...playing out of Thomond obviously - might just work...

El-Pietro
29/08/2019, 3:53 PM

I could be wrong on this but I believe the holding company behind Limerick is "Munster Football Limited"

CraftyToePoke
30/08/2019, 2:21 AM
I could be wrong on this but I believe the holding company behind Limerick is "Munster Football Limited"

That is our title yes, for when the revenue haul us in front of the national press etc.

NeverFeltBetter
30/08/2019, 7:37 AM

Don't remind me about playing in Thomond. Between security who assumed we were all carrying knives and the echoes from a 95% empty stadium it was a novelty that wore off quick.