PDA

View Full Version : Neal Fenn

Pages : [1] 2

joey B
21/08/2019, 11:21 PM
Left Longford ,going to be the new Cork manager with Joe Gamble coming in as well.....

Longfordian
22/08/2019, 6:46 AM
Seems to be a lot of rumours to that effect alright. Bad timing on his part if true. He's been a decent manager for us and he plays a nice style of football but at the same time I wouldn't say he's overachieved really.

total hoofball
22/08/2019, 7:09 AM
Surely then Collie ONeill being available is a quality ready made replacement at Longford

nr637
22/08/2019, 8:35 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1134130171043307520/15mu0TX4_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/JamieMooreSport)@JamieMoore@JamieMooreSport
(https://twitter.com/JamieMooreSport)

(https://twitter.com/JamieMooreSport/status/1164292873820545026)

More breaking managerial news from the LOI tonight!
I understand Neale Fenn has left @LongfordTownFC (https://twitter.com/LongfordTownFC), he was interviewed by @CorkCityF (https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC)C this week & is expected to be confirmed as their new manager.

Allegedly a source from the club has been saying that there would be an announcement on Thursday at City. Rumours from Longford Town sources say board members were annoyed that Fenn had applied for the City job and refused to let him talk to City, so he went ahead anyway.

I suppose the truth will eventually come out in time.

Nesta99
22/08/2019, 8:36 AM
Well will help fill the void left by Caulfield and Kenny moving on. Bitter could be back in fashion for Cork and Dundalk next season!!

hollocaine
22/08/2019, 9:10 AM
Some Town fans will lead you to believe that the sun shines out of Fenn's behind. Others can see beyond the media savvy and twitter presence. He's doing very well to get the Cork job, if that's the case.

Poor tactical calls in bigger games throughout his 2-year spell with Longford would be my biggest criticism of him (especially against Shels). Lots of players were signed - some worked out well, more did not.

The standard of the First Division is so far behind the Premier, that this is a big step up for him. It should be pointed out that with just 3 games left, we're still not even guaranteed a play off position yet. Last season, we didn't even reach them. When you consider that half the division's clubs are just about keeping their heads above water, he hasn't achieved a whole lot.

Fair play to Cork. Their 7-0 win in Longford last September was obviously a good enough audition for them to take him on

marinobohs
22/08/2019, 9:17 AM
Left Longford ,going to be the new Cork manager with Joe Gamble coming in as well.....

Not a surprise to be honest, his name has been mentioned since Caulfield's departure. Well regarded in Cork from his playing days there, and no surprise to see his old business partner back as well. All in all an appointment that should keep most Cork fans happy.

Ezeikial
22/08/2019, 9:25 AM
Surely a man of integrity like Neale Fenn would not just walk away.

marinobohs
22/08/2019, 9:27 AM
Surely a man of integrity like Neale Fenn would not just walk away AGAIN .

Fixed that for you Ez :D

Ezeikial
22/08/2019, 9:30 AM
I'd rather have a Tipton then a Fenn, yes I would, if I only could I surely would.

Matthew Tipton for Longford!

De Town
22/08/2019, 9:34 AM
Some Town fans will lead you to believe that the sun shines out of Fenn's behind. Others can see beyond the media savvy and twitter presence. He's doing very well to get the Cork job, if that's the case.

Poor tactical calls in bigger games throughout his 2-year spell with Longford would be my biggest criticism of him (especially against Shels). Lots of players were signed - some worked out well, more did not.

The standard of the First Division is so far behind the Premier, that this is a big step up for him. It should be pointed out that with just 3 games left, we're still not even guaranteed a play off position yet. Last season, we didn't even reach them. When you consider that half the division's clubs are just about keeping their heads above water, he hasn't achieved a whole lot.

Fair play to Cork. Their 7-0 win in Longford last September was obviously a good enough audition for them to take him on
I'd be in agreement with the above. I'll be disappointed to see him go to be honest but it's far from the disaster that some might think it is.

As Hollocaine mentioned, his big game record is pretty atrocious. He's achieved nothing out of the ordinary given the backing and squads he's had.

He undoubtedly improved our style of football but at the end of the day, it's lead to nothing really bar a likely playoff appearance this season which is the bare minimum he should have been aiming for at the start of the year.

Leaving before the end of the season with promotion still a possibility (even though extremely unlikely imo) leaves a bit of a sour taste but given his track record as a player, anyone that's surprised by his actions is probably a bit foolish.

Good luck to him. He'll need it I'd say.

outspoken
22/08/2019, 9:38 AM
Will be extremely disappointed if true. Knew we wouldn't keep him much longer but to walk out at this stage of the season will be a bitter pill to swallow.

On Hollocaine's above comments I would agree he has let himself down tactically in some of the big games, I was absolutely furious with our performance on Saturday night and the tactics and refusal to change them until it was too late was extremely frustrating.

However, Fenn took over a club that was in the sh1t post cousins and Mathews and not only was his football a breath of fresh air what he did off the pitch was too. Hence why the next appointment should be along the same lines, we can't afford to go back to a dinosaur like cousins or Mathews.

Would have had no issue with him moving on to bigger and better things and would have wished him every success but to do it this way is absolutely rotten. Surprised there's still no official LTFC comment but perhaps they are waiting for Cork to announce it which may lead to something juicy in response. We weight and sea

White Horse
22/08/2019, 9:59 AM
It would be very poor form of Fenn to walk out on a club at the business end of the season.

If Cork want to appoint him as their new manager, why not do it at the end of the season?

seand
22/08/2019, 10:16 AM
It would be very poor form of Fenn to walk out on a club at the business end of the season.

If Cork want to appoint him as their new manager, why not do it at the end of the season?

From Cork's point of view I guess they'd want a new man in ASAP. Longford's season is of no concern to them. If he has been offered the job Fenn, you'd think, could request to wait til the end of LTFC's season. But you have to remember Neale Fenn is a cnut.

sbgawa
22/08/2019, 10:17 AM
If Harps can keep up the recovery a Longford Town V Cork City relegation playoff would be great craic.
Come on Harps :)

Mr A
22/08/2019, 11:08 AM
Cork City is one of the biggest jobs in Irish football. Fenn must have done one hell of an interview if he is getting it because there is very little (is there anything at all?) on his management CV to justify giving it to him. Caulfield was a risky appointment also but did at least have a track record of success in intermediate football.

EatYerGreens
22/08/2019, 11:26 AM

Cork owe nothing to any other club.

It makes absolute sense to get him in at this stage of the season to :

a) Ensure he can fully assess the squad, set up etc between now and the start of next season, to get a head start.
b) Know which players he'll want to keep when their contracts end at the end of the season, and be in a position to sign/extend others he wants.
c) Have a shot at European qualification via an FAI Cup run.
d) Stave off the slight threat of getting drawn into a relegation dogfight.
e) Maximise income between now and the end of the season via both Cup games and league finish.
f) If he turns out to be a disaster, the club will see signs of that earlier than if they waited later to sign him.
g) Someone else could sign him as manager in the meantime if they waited !

joey B
22/08/2019, 11:41 AM
Cork City is one of the biggest jobs in Irish football. Fenn must have done one hell of an interview if he is getting it because there is very little (is there anything at all?) on his management CV to justify giving it to him. Caulfield was a risky appointment also but did at least have a track record of success in intermediate football.

Perception is a funny thing in football,id have said Tim Clancy has outperformed Fenn for 2 seasons in a row in direct competition with him but probably wasn't even a consideration....

El-Pietro
22/08/2019, 12:08 PM
I'm whelmed. Any managerial appointment is a risk. Fenn would not have been my first choice given his track record but our performance next year will likely come down to his signings more than any great tactical nous. If he can have us back in the top four he'll be considered a success. Expectations will be much higher at City than he would have faced in Longford so hopefully hes prepared for that.
I feel a bit sorry for Longford to be losing their manager so close to the end of the season but we need to look after ourselves and get our squad ready for 2020. I suspect Fenn was told its now or we move on to our second choice.

Couch Potato
22/08/2019, 12:38 PM
Daire Doyle to step into the hot seat at Longford?

Or will Longford want someone with managerial experience.

D24Saint
22/08/2019, 12:41 PM
Bit shocked by this. It’s a massive appointment in regards to the future direction of Cork and appointing Fenn is no better than a punt.

Longfordian
22/08/2019, 12:49 PM

I'm not sure what badges Daire has, I think it's only a B licence. Collie O'Neill would be a good option though I wonder what happened that UCD decided to get rid of him? It's not like them to sack a manager.

D24Saint
22/08/2019, 1:16 PM
I'm not sure what badges Daire has, I think it's only a B licence. Collie O'Neill would be a good option though I wonder what happened that UCD decided to get rid of him? It's not like them to sack a manager.

Must have been trouble off the pitch aswell as on it this year , they have been a shambles.

Martinho II
22/08/2019, 1:25 PM
I for one am furious with the announcement about Fenn. Its the second time we have lost a manager to Cork City after Alan Mathews.

Fenn has done nothing the last few weeks which leads to the suspicion he had his mind made up to go if we couldnt compete for the title? I thought his body language didnt look great all any time I saw him. I think he must be getting his full badges shortly.

I really hope Fenn doenst go after any of our players. I am sure our board would tell him where to go if they are under contract.

Fenn has form for this sort of thing but I wish him the best of luck going to Cork. The Cork fans will be more demanding if things go wrong and I am sure Foras wont be as understanding as our board was.

placid casual
22/08/2019, 3:41 PM
Fair play to Fenn. He obviously has aspirations to manage at a decent sized club. It could go well for him, depending on how the BOM at city treat him.

sorbothegreek
22/08/2019, 3:46 PM
For all the improvement in football style and affable public persona, his end product is not that far removed from what Cousins would have achieved with us.

If by any chance we could end up with O'Neill out of this situation then i'd think we would be up on the deal..

Longfordian
22/08/2019, 4:49 PM
There aren't many if any of our players that Cork should be aiming to sign to be fair Marty!

Hulsey
22/08/2019, 4:55 PM
Any chance Longford would take Gary Cronin back?

Nesta99
22/08/2019, 4:55 PM
I for one am furious with the announcement about Fenn. Its the second time we have lost a manager to Cork City after Alan Mathews.

Fenn has done nothing the last few weeks which leads to the suspicion he had his mind made up to go if we couldnt compete for the title? I thought his body language didnt look great all any time I saw him. I think he must be getting his full badges shortly.

I really hope Fenn doenst go after any of our players. I am sure our board would tell him where to go if they are under contract.

Fenn has form for this sort of thing but I wish him the best of luck going to Cork. The Cork fans will be more demanding if things go wrong and I am sure Foras wont be as understanding as our board was.

You are surprised that Neale Fenn has shown a lack professionalism, due courtesy to his current club, and is very much in the mé féin camp!?

Acornvilla
22/08/2019, 5:30 PM
There aren't many if any of our players that Cork should be aiming to sign to be fair Marty!

Wonder would Steacy be able for the step up? Has done little wrong in terms of goalkeeping and his distribution is very good, probably the best keeper we've ever had with his feet, so would fit in to what Fenn wants. Cork need to look for a new No. 1 for the future, bit of a risk and would be a big lifestyle shift for him to commit to moving down there as well of course. Having thought about it some more, I think I remember him saying he was beginning a 3rd level course in Dublin next year, so a move is probably out of the question in any case.

If anyone trys to sign Aodh I'll fight them.

Totally ok with Fenn leaving if Town managed to hire Collie honestly.

Olander
22/08/2019, 5:47 PM
It seems like more of a marriage of convenience than anything. I think there's a bit of sentiment involved in it. Fenn is very well regarded by most Cork City supporters for his time there as a player.

I'm not really sure about him as a manager. He seems a little bit linear in his thinking and the way he sets Longford up as a side. They always aim to play football, even when it's not on, but they don't like doing the other side of the game. A team like Drogheda under Clancy is a lot more pragmatic, they can play and they're also very comfortable when it comes to the physical side of the game. The same can't be said for Longford in my experiences and you can expose them a bit if you get physical with them and disrupt them.

Fenn's had two seasons with Longford now with a very competitive First Division budget, last year he didn't even make the top four for a Play-off, this year it looks like they will make it, but I wouldn't back them against say Harps. I'd be far more confident of Drogheda going up ahead of them. If Longford fail to go up again and Fenn does goes south you can be sure he'll try and take Aodh Dervin with him. Either way I would say this is his last year with Longford, somebody like Bohs will pick him up maybe, his promise can only go unnoticed by the bigger clubs for so long and Longford probably need Premier Division football to retain him.

Overall feel that Fenn flatters to deceive and is a bit of a me-feiner and a good networker in the game. He doesn't adapt his game enough and sort of reminds me of the way Kenny Shiels always insisted on playing football on poor pitches then moaned about it afterwards, but never adapted like the better managers did. Fenn hasn't exactly uprooted any trees at Longford but has brought in a nice brand of football and developed a few very good players and made some shrewd signings like Steacy. Does that make him suitable to take over one of the biggest clubs in the country? I don't think so.

It's very harsh on Longford if he does walk out before the season is over.

Longfordian
22/08/2019, 5:55 PM
Try and take Aodh Dervin is it Olander? Yes he'd be one capable of stepping up, as could Steacy in terms of playing Premier Division. Dean Byrne in the right set up too potentially, but I'm thinking of Cork as a likely title challenger.

Olander
22/08/2019, 6:00 PM
Try and take Aodh Dervin is it Olander? Yes he'd be one capable of stepping up, as could Steacy in terms of playing Premier Division. Dean Byrne in the right set up too potentially, but I'm thinking of Cork as a likely title challenger.
Sorry yes, forgot to put his name in. Edited now.

A superb player with huge potential. Really a joy to watch over the last few season, even as an opposition supporter.

Town Legend
22/08/2019, 6:13 PM
Fenn did not inform any Town official about his desire to interview with Cork City. He went behind the clubs back. Very poor form.....but we should not be surprised.

Town Legend
22/08/2019, 6:16 PM

I've been told Doyle has it until end of season but a meeting has been scheduled for tonight to go through all options.

outspoken
22/08/2019, 6:37 PM
One player nobody has mentioned that Fenn may take is Elworthy, Fenn has previously stated he feels Elworthy is the best RB in the division and he thinks very very highly of Breslin on the opposite side, could see him taking those two with him. Aodh Dervin and Dean Byrne be the other two he might consider while Steacy definitely won't be here next season he's been superb.

Just on some of the comments above, a lot of people Saying Fenn only plays one way and doesn't mix it up enough like Drogs (who we've beaten 3/3 times this season). We have been far more direct this season than in the past under Fenn we must don't have a decent target man or striker so it's been ineffective. In Interviews I've done with him in recent seasons we've often talked about how he has changed his approach to opt for a more direct system when needed. It's not a long ball game it's just getting the ball into the final 3rd quicker. But as I said, it's not worked at all this year without a striker.

Kingswood Rover
22/08/2019, 7:07 PM

a) Ensure he can fully assess the squad, set up etc between now and the start of next season, to get a head start.
b) Know which players he'll want to keep when their contracts end at the end of the season, and be in a position to sign/extend others he wants.
e) Maximise income between now and the end of the season via both Cup games and league finish.
f) If he turns out to be a disaster, the club will see signs of that earlier than if they waited later to sign him.
Absolute and total............right thing to do from Corks point of view next Season starts the minute Fenn parks his car

Charlie Darwin
23/08/2019, 2:03 AM

Surely Longford don't have any players under contract for 2020?

Charlie Darwin
23/08/2019, 2:06 AM
You are surprised that Neale Fenn has shown a lack professionalism, due courtesy to his current club, and is very much in the mé féin camp!?
Anyone in Irish football who's not a mé féiner is an idiot, to be fair. I include Dan Carr in that - did exactly what was right for him and fair play.

Town Legend
23/08/2019, 7:30 AM

The tea lady.....does she count??

Nesta99
23/08/2019, 7:50 AM
Anyone in Irish football who's not a mé féiner is an idiot, to be fair. I include Dan Carr in that - did exactly what was right for him and fair play.

I suspected that this would be said. I think every sporting individual has to be, to a significant extent a mé féiner to be a success. What I am really referring to here is the top end of things, cut throat like behaviour. You can be self centred, driven and ambitious and still go through the appropriate protocols. Cork should have approached Longford, if they didnt, to say they wanted to speak to Fenn. If Fenn initiated this in any way he should also have let his current employer know. He has form for making sure he gets what he wants so Cork beware. I doubt he was on any sort of long term contract where compensation is required but technically Longford could have a case against Cork depending on contract(?) but at minimum there should have been some professional courtesy. To hear through media sources that your manager has practically signed for someone else while knowing nothing about it shows the level of professional that Fenn works at. Manners costs little. Its also a 2nd high profile manipulation by him so how does he go about demanding respect and trust be it with players or clubs?

disgruntled
23/08/2019, 8:30 AM

That's a very fair asentment I would say but I do feel sorry for Longford supporters who may be losing their manager this late in the season with them still having a promotion chance.

I suspected that this would be said. I think every sporting individual has to be, to a significant extent a mé féiner to be a success. What I am really referring to here is the top end of things, cut throat like behaviour. You can be self centred, driven and ambitious and still go through the appropriate protocols. Cork should have approached Longford, if they didnt, to say they wanted to speak to Fenn. If Fenn initiated this in any way he should also have let his current employer know. He has form for making sure he gets what he wants so Cork beware. I doubt he was on any sort of long term contract where compensation is required but technically Longford could have a case against Cork depending on contract(?) but at minimum there should have been some professional courtesy. To hear through media sources that your manager has practically signed for someone else while knowing nothing about it shows the level of professional that Fenn works at. Manners costs little. Its also a 2nd high profile manipulation by him so how does he go about demanding respect and trust be it with players or clubs?

As I've said elsewhere we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.
Maybe City approached Longford ?
Maybe Longford refused him permission to talk to City & maybe Fenn went ahead anyway. Maybe none of the above happened ?
The truth is we don't know any of the answers. Only the Longford board & the FORAS BOM know all the facts. There are a lack of facts in the public domain so all we have is speculation.
Sounds about right for a football forum 😏

Longfordian
23/08/2019, 3:35 PM
Town have confirmed Daire Doyle is in charge tonight. If I know our chairman he will make a point of making life difficult for Fenn, via legal action if necessary. As far as I know he had a contract until the end of this season so there'll be a demand for compensation from someone.

Martinho II
23/08/2019, 5:11 PM
Any chance Longford would take Gary Cronin back?

doubt it tbh...

Martinho II
23/08/2019, 5:12 PM

no I am surprised Fenn would want to go when we have possible chance of the playoffs.

Martinho II
23/08/2019, 5:18 PM
I've been told Doyle has it until end of season but a meeting has been scheduled for tonight to go through all options.

Myself and a close friend chanced our arm and went to the CCS and hung around until the meeting was over.I spoke to one of the committee members and I was told that Fenn is still a paid employee of the club and wont be managing tonight. Its obvious that Fenn was told that he cant move until the dosh has being paid to the club as compo. Wonder will Fenn be cheeky enough to go to Terryland?

Martinho II
23/08/2019, 5:21 PM

As far as I can remember club did make announcement about one of the players signed for next season unless its for last season I am thinking of. I was thinking of Dean Byrne but could be wrong?

Martinho II
23/08/2019, 5:29 PM
Town have confirmed Daire Doyle is in charge tonight. If I know our chairman he will make a point of making life difficult for Fenn, via legal action if necessary. As far as I know he had a contract until the end of this season so there'll be a demand for compensation from someone.

thats what I suspect too. I was told intitially that Fenn was going to be on sick leave by the committee member. The committee member told me that its not a good idea to be speculating about possible consequences for Fenn on social media ie whatsapp as it would reflect badly on the club. I expect a legal battle for his services regarding compensation for breach of contract. I imagine Fenn is under suspension by us from moving to Cork so I suspect this will get very dirty. It could go to the High Court like in 2001 like under Stephen Kenny when he wasnt allowed to take charge of Bohs against us in the FAI Cup and had to sit in the stand.

Martinho II
23/08/2019, 5:33 PM
As far as I know Daire Doyle wont be in the running as hes currently not on a course at present. I suspect Stephen Henderson and Collie Oneill would be strong candidates. I would rule out Alan Mathews considering the way things ended badly for him in 2016 but as an outside bet considering hes still pally with our chairman as I saw him in the hospitality suite last season for Cork City match I wouldnt be surprised if Tony Cousins came back as I know for a fact the board accepted Tony Cousins resignation with great reluctance.

Nesta99
23/08/2019, 6:05 PM
As far as I can remember club did make announcement about one of the players signed for next season unless its for last season I am thinking of. I was thinking of Dean Byrne but could be wrong?

Good job managers dont have registrations that can be torn up prior to retirement.....yes that whole debacle still annoys me a bit, as much because of the almost naive manner in which Dundalk believed him and handed up the registration. Would never happen now, certainly midseason, no matter how genuine the circumstances. But then it did all cause one of the most 'poetic justice' moments in the club's and maybe even League's history. Will be fun having him back in Oriel and adding some spice back in to games with Cork. Seems a little risky by Cork, that compensation might end up being paid especially with the suggestion that Cotter was made interim manager due to not having the finances to cut more from the coaching staff than just Caulfield. I doubt Cotter will be too happy. I think it's generally good to give a manager time to asses his squad with games left in a season but it could have an impact on motivation if the new guy isnt stepping in immediately. Cork BoM must have felt that results recently have put an end to the risk of being pulled in to the play-off position.

*wong quote.