PDA

View Full Version : uefa announce " liverpool need to finish 4th "

anto1208
05/05/2005, 10:10 AM
to get into next years comp also expected today is the fa announcement to be the same .

only fair really

Stuttgart88
05/05/2005, 10:22 AM
Absolutely. Teams like Everton have been chasing 4th place for ages with CL qualification as their reward and it'd be disgraceful if the goalposts were moved right at the end.

I'm sure most Liverpool fans would be magnanimous enough to accept that.

If I was Liverpool fan I'd take winning it this year and not being in it next year as being a more than satisfactory return.

I think it's sad that CL qualification seems to be more important now than actually winning things like the FA Cup. I know it's down to money but really, it's all about trophies if you're a fan.

Maybe the 4th English CL spot should go to the FA Cup winner. If the FA Cup winner has already qualified by virtue of a top 3 finish, then give it to 4th place.

stojkovic
05/05/2005, 10:34 AM
Don't worry.

If we win it for a fifth time, they said we can keep it.

Well if they dont let us back in next year, they're not getting it back (if we win).

anto1208
05/05/2005, 10:40 AM
its is harsh on liverpool if they win it but its not like they wont be in the top 4 next year , where as if everton missed out it could set us back years again , but the cash from getting to champs league will make us a big club again

noby
05/05/2005, 11:08 AM
Teams like Everton have been chasing 4th place for ages with CL qualification as their reward and it'd be disgraceful if the goalposts were moved right at the end.

Chasing 4th / avoiding relegation.

Anyway, they only 'move goalposts' for the likes of Real Madrid

green army
05/05/2005, 12:12 PM
imo whoever wins the champions league should have the right to go into the competition the following season to defend their title. afaik this happened in spain where madrid won it and replaced real zaragoza who finished in a champs league place. thus uefa have set a precident.

eirebhoy
05/05/2005, 12:16 PM
imo whoever wins the champions league should have the right to go into the competition the following season to defend their title.
Its not the case with bigger tournaments like the World Cup or the European Championships so I don't see why it should be different with the CL. Liverpool knew at the start of the year the would have to finish in the top 4 to qualify for the CL. Brazil knew they would have to finish in the top 4/5 of their South American league to qualify for the world cup.

tiktok
05/05/2005, 12:24 PM
imo whoever wins the champions league should have the right to go into the competition the following season to defend their title. afaik this happened in spain where madrid won it and replaced real zaragoza who finished in a champs league place. thus uefa have set a precident.

You're right on that but as far as I remember it was the Spanish FA's decision, therefore while the precedent is there, it's not UEFA's

drinkfeckarse
05/05/2005, 12:24 PM
You should be automatically allowed to defend your title if you win it.Simple as that. I don't think Everton should have they're qualification taken away from them at all to allow this but allowances should be made in the future.

They moved the goalposts for Madrid as has already been pointed out.

Macy
05/05/2005, 12:33 PM
They moved the goalposts for Madrid as has already been pointed out.
UEFA didn't - the Spanish FA did, shockingly enough as it was Madrid. Still the English FA's decision, as it has been all along.

The winners automatic qualification has been dropped by UEFA for the European Championship, dropped by FIFA for the World Cup, so why not the Champions League?

Frankly, if Liverpool are good enough to win the Champions League, but not good enough to take 4th place in the league then they don't deserve it due to their own inconsistency. They've no one to blame but themselves....

anto1208
05/05/2005, 12:34 PM
even if they win it they dont deserve it , they should have lost to juve bar poor refering disalloud goal and peno turned down , they did nt even score against chelsea again poor ref ,

milan v liverpool final boring

"champions league !?! im having a bath !!!!"

drinkfeckarse
05/05/2005, 12:43 PM
even if they win it they dont deserve it , they should have lost to juve bar poor refering disalloud goal and peno turned down , they did nt even score against chelsea again poor ref ,

milan v liverpool final boring

"champions league !?! im having a bath !!!!"

Nothing like sour grapes eh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anto1208
05/05/2005, 12:45 PM
Nothing like sour grapes eh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

no its called fact . juve were robbed ye did nt score against chelsea , both liverpool and milan are defensive team s so its going to be a rubbish game .

plus i am having a bath FACT !!! :D

drinkfeckarse
05/05/2005, 12:45 PM
The winners automatic qualification has been dropped by UEFA for the European Championship, dropped by FIFA for the World Cup, so why not the Champions League?

All I'm saying is that IMO you should have the right to defend your crown should you win it.

Just because UEFA and FIFA have dropped their automatic qualifiers doesn't make it the right decision...

drinkfeckarse
05/05/2005, 12:46 PM
no its called fact . juve were robbed ye did nt score against chelsea , both liverpool and milan are defensive team s so its going to be a rubbish game .

plus i am having a bath FACT !!! :D

In the trough is it???

Dotsy
05/05/2005, 12:58 PM
As a Liverpool fan I think whoever comes fourth gets the CL place. That was the deal from the start of the season so they should stick to it. It would be completly unfair to Everton if they got the fourth spot and didn't qualify.

Benitez has done amazingly well getting the team so far in Europe this season. I don't think he has got to grips with the Premiership yet and that should be his priority next season. Maybe not qualifying for the CL would be a mixed blessing as I don't think the UEFA Cup would be a major priority giving him more time to concentrate on domestic performances. Saying that they would miss out on the CL revenue. Hopefully winning it this year :D will swell the coffers substantially.

Kicko
05/05/2005, 1:12 PM
As a Liverpool fan I think whoever comes fourth gets the CL place. That was the deal from the start of the season so they should stick to it. It would be completly unfair to Everton if they got the fourth spot and didn't qualify.

Benitez has done amazingly well getting the team so far in Europe this season. I don't think he has got to grips with the Premiership yet and that should be his priority next season. Maybe not qualifying for the CL would be a mixed blessing as I don't think the UEFA Cup would be a major priority giving him more time to concentrate on domestic performances. Saying that they would miss out on the CL revenue. Hopefully winning it this year :D will swell the coffers substantially.

Completely agree.. Benitez is bound to attract big players this summer. If Liverpool can concentrate solely on the title next season, produce performances like those we have seen on their european nights, god knows what could happen.. Let the poor evertonians have their holiday abroad next season,im sure there won't be many..

GavinZac
05/05/2005, 1:31 PM
Completely agree.. Benitez is bound to attract big players this summer. If Liverpool can concentrate solely on the title next season, produce performances like those we have seen on their european nights, god knows what could happen.. Let the poor evertonians have their holiday abroad next season,im sure there won't be many..

i love it when liverpool get their hopes up :D

Kicko
05/05/2005, 1:44 PM
i love it when liverpool get their hopes up :D

im sure you were loving it tuesday so... :p

anto1208
05/05/2005, 4:26 PM
the fa have now also announced it will be the team in 4th that get the champ l. place

thecorner
05/05/2005, 6:10 PM
imagine this scenario if france had won the world cup and something like this happened

1.switzwerland to our group
2.ireland finish runners up
3. france finish 3rd

uefa delegate turn to brian kerr
and say.."sorry we cant allow u to compete in the world cup...france are the holders and we have to have them in it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has to be everton

4tothefloor
05/05/2005, 9:34 PM
You can't compare the World Cup and the Euro's to the CL. These tournaments are held every FOUR years. Why in gods name should a team be allowed to qualify automatically through winning it when there is a gap of 4 years to the next tournament? It'll be an almost completely different team benefitting from something achieved 4 years previously.

The CL on the other hand is held every season. This Liverpool team should be able to defend THEIR title, should they win it. It's complete nonsense that there is even a possibility that the European Champions could be playing in the UEFA Cup next season! And UEFA know it, they're on about changing it in the future :rolleyes:

Everton should not lose their CL place, should they qualify. For the record, I don't think they will qualify, they might not win another game this season. This is UEFA's problem, not the FA's. The CL is UEFA's competition, and the blame lies with them for this ridiculous situation.

Dodge
05/05/2005, 9:56 PM
imagine this scenario if france had won the world cup and something like this happened

1.switzwerland to our group
2.ireland finish runners up
3. france finish 3rd

uefa delegate turn to brian kerr
and say.."sorry we cant allow u to compete in the world cup...france are the holders and we have to have them in it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

has to be everton
Not really the same as the winners used to qualify automatically, so France wouldn't have been in the draw. Think the CL winners should be in the next years competition. And UEFA didn't make any announcement over this. They said its up the FA to nominate the clubs. The FA have said they'll nominate the top 4 but will lobby for a 5th spot. As long as they don't get that I don't really mind

pete
05/05/2005, 10:03 PM
The English FA will decide that 4th spot in CL goes to league place & not potential CL holder. In this way they will in some way place greater importance on their own league competition than Uefas. If it comes to a vote the vast majority of the league clubs will vote like that too.

Theres no way england should have 5th team in the CL as means some other country will lose out. Even converting a UEFA place would be wrong.

thecorner
06/05/2005, 12:56 AM
Not really the same as the winners used to qualify automatically, so France wouldn't have been in the draw.

sorry to burst ur bubble now but france would have been in the draw ;) ...just ask brazil :eek:

Closed Account 2
06/05/2005, 1:14 AM
Everton will get 4th place and deserve a shot at the Champions League, but I'd imagine they might struggle to get through the qualifiers. Theyve not looked the same since Gravesen left, lack European experience and if they got a tricky draw they could go out and into the UEFA (like Newcastle - Partizan a few years ago).

I hope they go thru as Kilbane (and perhaps Robbie Keane) playing CL footie would be good for us, but it will be tricky.

mypost
06/05/2005, 3:29 AM
We won the European Cup 4 times, when only the domestic champions qualified for the competition next season. However, we won the EC in '78, and '81, having failed to win the league. In '81, we won the EC having finished 5th in the league. That didn't prevent us from competing in it the following season. So, England had 2 EC entrants when, (technically), they were only allowed one. The same should apply this season, if we win the EC, while finishing 5th in the league.

UEFA want it both ways. They want us to play in their showpiece final, while threatening the club with non-participation the following season. The club should therefore award the trophy to Milan by not playing the final, in protest. What's the point in playing and winning the final, if we're not allowed to defend the trophy next season? Yes, we haven't finished in the top 4 in the league, but that shouldn't matter if we win the competition. The whole scenario reflects badly not on LFC, but on UEFA, who have tackled this issue in a way in which only the FAI could be capable of! :mad: :mad:

thecorner
06/05/2005, 7:30 AM
We won the European Cup 4 times,

"WE" :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

noby
06/05/2005, 7:53 AM
imagine this scenario .......

corner,

alot of the problem arises from uefa's own wording in the rule book. They say the winners finishing outside qualification place in the league may be entered into the comp. But the rules don't clarify how.

A lot of this could have been avoided if the rules were made clear when the same situation arose a few years ago in spain. IMO it's not good enough to leave it up to the ountry's FA, the ruling should come from uefa.

IMO (and I'm not just saying this now) the winning team should be allowed defend the title. So even if Chelsea had won it, there should be 4 other teams qualify too.

jockser
06/05/2005, 8:08 AM
Is it still fair when the FA decided this time last year when Arsenal and Chelsea meet in the quater final that if one of them went on to win it 4th place would have to play in the uefa cup!?!?!

Hypocracy that is what it is!!!!

read it here under "What if".....

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/ContactUs/Postings/2004/03/European_Places.htm

:mad: :mad: :mad:

est1878
06/05/2005, 8:17 AM
it dosnt matter AC Milan will win Champs league.........everton will finish fourth fact

jockser
06/05/2005, 8:19 AM
it dosnt matter AC Milan will win Champs league.........everton will finish fourth fact

we have a new comedian :D

drinkfeckarse
06/05/2005, 8:34 AM
"WE" :D :D :rolleyes:

Give it a rest will ya :rolleyes: :mad:

eirebhoy
06/05/2005, 9:34 AM
What about when R.Madrid won the CL & came 5th?Were in it the next season........maybe they should demote ano.minnow to the UEFA cup? :rolleyes:
Davros' typing syndrome is catching. :eek:

Karlos
06/05/2005, 10:39 AM
Is it still fair when the FA decided this time last year when Arsenal and Chelsea meet in the quater final that if one of them went on to win it 4th place would have to play in the uefa cup!?!?!

Hypocracy that is what it is!!!!

read it here under "What if".....

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/ContactUs/Postings/2004/03/European_Places.htm

:mad: :mad: :mad:

It's amazing that the FA would even write that and we are not certain they have done. At the time of the Arsenal V Chelsea tie and this supposed FA ruling both teams were a mere handful of points from claiming champions league spots. Arsenal won the title a week and a half after the quarter final. It was highly unlikely that either side would have failed to finish outside of the top 3, let alone top 4 and would be astonded if the FA had taken this step in what was an almost implausible situation and a very duifferent situation than what exists today. That ruling if it was made was based on either Arsenal or Chelsea finishing fifth which was virtually a mathematic impossibility!

For what's its worth, I believe only the champions and holders should qualify for the competition. Had that been the case we wouldn't be having this argument. I believe however if Liverpool win it they should be in it but not at the expence of another club or country.

To be honest I think most clubs would start the season looking to finish in the top 4 to qualify for the champions league. We all want to win it, but it would be incredibly foolish for any club to neglect a league position in the hope of winning the competition. Had Liverpool even halfed the 13 losses in the league this year this argument wouldn't be occurring.

So while I think allowances should be made for competition winners, I think if Liverpool fail to win the cup they'll need to look at the 13 or more losses in the league rather than a failure to beat Milan or the responce of Uefa or the FA as the MAIN reason why they won't be there next year.

NeilMcD
06/05/2005, 11:18 AM
This is Uefas, fault. It should be clearly stated what happens in the event of a team winning the competition and not qualifiying for the competition through their league position. It is UEFA's problem and they should sort it out. What should not happen is that Everton would be denied a place and another thing that should not happen is another club and country denied a space to get Liverpool in. If it is possible to add Liverpool to the competition in the qualifying rounds for example without kicking out another team then that would be a solution. But the EFA are right to nominate Everton, Man Utd, Aresenal and Chelsea as the four representatives for next years Champions League. In effect Liverpool would be UEFAs representative and not the EFA's so therefore it is up to UEFA to sort that out.

noby
06/05/2005, 11:44 AM
But the EFA are right to nominate Everton, Man Utd, Aresenal and Chelsea as the four representatives for next years Champions League.

No. The EFA are right to nominate the top 4 in the division. The league ain't over yet.

I've said it before, this whole Liverpool/Everton CL debate, I can still see neither in it next year.

NeilMcD
06/05/2005, 11:48 AM
Do you think Bolton will get it then,

Thunderblaster
06/05/2005, 6:39 PM
Do you think Bolton will get it then,

Bolton? :eek: Get me out of the Twilight Zone!! :o

anto1208
09/05/2005, 8:12 AM
2 games to go everton have 4th wrapped up :D :D :D

stojkovic
09/05/2005, 11:12 AM
Apparantly R.Zaragoza got 'binned'-off @ Madrid's expense......which goes to prove UEFA are complete T*ssers!
Lads for the fcuking last time, the Spanish FA 'binned' Zaragoza and not UEFA. This is not UEFA's problem it's the FA's.

PS If we win, we will be there next year. It will be sorted during the summer. Possibly in Strasbourg ;)

thecorner
09/05/2005, 11:18 AM
PS If we win, we will be there next year. It will be sorted during the summer. Possibly in Strasbourg ;)

"we" :D :D :D