PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Switzerland- 5th September 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Closed Account
16/08/2019, 3:43 PM
Mick McCarthy names squad for September double-header

Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy has named a 40-man provisional squad for next month's AVIVA Stadium double-header.

16th Aug 2019

Ireland play their UEFA EURO 2020 European Qualifier against Switzerland on September 5, followed by a Three International Friendly against Bulgaria five days later.
There are first call-ups for Stoke City's Nathan Collins, Doncaster Rovers midfielder Kieran Sadlier and Tottenham striker Troy Parrott.
Crystal Palace midfielder James McCarthy returns to the squad for the first time under McCarthy and may make his first appearance since October 2016.
Speaking to FAI TV ahead of the announcement, McCarthy said the size of his provisional squad was due to the amount of club games in the coming weeks.
"I dont know what's going to happen between now and the next couple of games. We've got Saturday games, Tuesday games, Saturday and then the Saturday before me meet up. Players could get injured before we meet up."
With focus on the European Qualifier against Switzerland, McCarthy expects a tough game against the UEFA Nations League semi-finalists.
"Switzerland are a good side. They have been in the higher echelons of the top teams in Europe for the last number of years."
To buy tickets for the Switzerland and Bulgaria matches, please visit fai.ie/tickets
Republic of Ireland squad to play Switzerland and Bulgaria
Goalkeepers:
Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough),
Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday),
Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth),
Kieran O'Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United)

Defenders:
Seamus Coleman (Everton),
Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers),
Shane Duffy (Brighton and Hove Albion),
Richard Keogh (Derby County),
John Egan (Sheffield United),
Kevin Long (Burnley),
Nathan Collins (Stoke City),
Enda Stevens (Sheffield United),
Greg Cunningham (Blackburn Rovers, on loan from Cardiff City),
Cyrus Christie (Fulham), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers),
Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers).
Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United)

Midfielders:
Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa),
Glenn Whelan (Heart of Midlothian),
Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United),
Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), Robbie Brady (Burnley),
Alan Browne (Preston North End),
James McClean (Stoke City),
Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City),
James McCarthy (Crystal Palace),
Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers),
Alan Judge (Ipswich Town),
Harry Arter (Fulham, on loan from AFC Bournemouth),
Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth),
Kieran Sadlier (Doncaster Rovers)

Forwards:
Callum Robinson (Sheffield United),
Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa),
Shane Long (Southampton),
Michael Obafemi (Southampton),
David McGoldrick (Sheffield United),
James Collins (Luton Town),
Aiden O'Brien (Millwall),
Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur),
Sean Maguire (Preston North End)

nigel-harps1954
16/08/2019, 3:47 PM
Surprise omission has to be Daryl Horgan. Doesn't do his hopes much good if he can't make a 40 man panel.

Disappointing that Ryan Manning is missing too

Kingdom
16/08/2019, 4:23 PM
Republic of Ireland squad to play Switzerland and Bulgaria

Goalkeepers: 3
Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Keiren Westwood (Wednesday), Mark Travers (Bournemouth)

Defenders: 8
Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolves),
Shane Duffy (B&H A), Richard Keogh (Derby), John Egan (Blades), Nathan Collins (Stoke),
Enda Stevens (Blades), Greg Cunningham (Blackburn Rovers, on loan from Cardiff City),

Midfielders: 11
Glenn Whelan (Hearts), James McCarthy (Palace), Harry Arter (Fulham, on loan from Bournemouth),
Jeff Hendrick & Robbie Brady (Burnley), Conor Hourihane (Villa), Alan Browne (PNE), Alan Judge (Ipswich),
James McClean (Stoke City), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City),

Forwards: 5
Shane Long & Michael Obafemi (Saints), Callum Robinson & David McGoldrick (Blades), Troy Parrott (Spurs)

That's what I reckon he'll narrow it down to, with the 3 lads in Italics to miss out. Also I would expect that he'll not officially include Parrott, but keep him around.

tetsujin1979
16/08/2019, 4:33 PM
a recent bugbear of mine was that the FAI didn't include things like age, or caps, or goals in their squad announcements
So I made this
http://i66.tinypic.com/10hptao.png

Kingdom
16/08/2019, 4:39 PM
a recent bugbear of mine was that the FAI didn't include things like age, or caps, or goals in their squad announcements
So I made this
http://i66.tinypic.com/10hptao.png

Great work Tets, but it rings home just how weak this squad is to grab us a goal.

Diggs246
16/08/2019, 8:42 PM
The person who should be most ****ed off from that FAI interview with Mick is Michael Obafemi. He is too valuable an asset for the u21s. We need goals

Olé Olé
16/08/2019, 9:58 PM
Surprise omission has to be Daryl Horgan. Doesn't do his hopes much good if he can't make a 40 man panel.

Disappointing that Ryan Manning is missing too
I agree with you in some regards but who does he come in for? A left back? Cunningham? Hardly fair. A midfielder? Which one?

Fizzer
16/08/2019, 10:23 PM
No Luca Connell? Would have thought he’d make a 40 man squad

liamoo11
17/08/2019, 2:56 PM
Nice to see sadlier involved is that his first call up?
I see Cunningham, William's and lenihan all start for Blackburn today I assume they play a back 5. No o dowda again involvedcat Bristol city hopefully he gets foreign move in next few weeks.

Rafferty playing for Preston I wonder will we see him involved soon although I suppose we have lots of full backs

geysir
17/08/2019, 4:54 PM
Coleman shifted to playing at LB today for Everton, he looked comfortable and he didn’t give away a penalty.

Charlie Darwin
17/08/2019, 5:05 PM
Coleman shifted to playing at LB today for Everton, he looked comfortable and he didn’t give away a penalty.
It's only a matter of time.

Fixer82
18/08/2019, 1:40 AM
No Long or Brady in matchdsy squads in EPL today. Are they injured?

liamoo11
18/08/2019, 7:55 AM
No Long or Brady in matchdsy squads in EPL today. Are they injured?

Brady is injured rib issue most of preseason.

tetsujin1979
18/08/2019, 11:57 AM
Rib injuries are really annoying. There's basically nothing you can do except rest, and any activity can set you back

elatedscum
18/08/2019, 6:01 PM
Robinson came off with what seemed a muscular injury. Not serious but an injury this close to the break never looks great. Potentially serious lack of wide options:

McClean ok
Robinson injured ?
Brady injured ?
O’Dowda frozen out

Maybe you could play Long or Obafemi there at least there’d be some pace (admittedly Long hasn’t made a squad yet).

Not sure Ronan Curtis is ready yet. I like him and I think he’ll get there with maybe half a season in the championship but I’d be happier with the likes of Horgan, McGeady or Duffy - which says more about him as an international player than it does them

SkStu
18/08/2019, 6:42 PM
Robinson says on his twitter it’s “nothing serious”. Fans seem to love him too.

https://twitter.com/callumrobinson7/status/1163137903192608771?s=21

Olé Olé
18/08/2019, 6:46 PM
Apart from being a very skilful and quick footballer, Robinson strikes me as a really good person. I think he has been well received by fans and players.

backstothewall
19/08/2019, 5:37 PM
I like to see us to start Stevens, Egan, Robinson and McGoldrick v Switzerland and try the system Sheffield United have been using.

I reckon Arter would be great in the Norwood role, and Doherty is obviously suited as a right wing back.

It feels like it would put a lot of round pegs in round holes and with quite a few of out lads playing there the others should be able to get up to speed very quickly. And Switzerland are likely to have as much trouble adapting to face it as other premier league sides seem to be having.

elatedscum
19/08/2019, 6:34 PM
I think it's generally a difficult system to implement at international level, as there's much less time on the training ground to . It's a system which requires a lot of mobility from the left and right centre halves, I remember us trying to play it against Mexico and getting absolutely murdered in a friendly two years ago – and doing it a little better, but still not particularly well against maybe Wales in the Nations League.

As for the personnel, Kevin Long can do it on the left, Duffy you'd imagine would play where Egan plays for Sheffield United. Ciaran Clark is probably the most mobile of the remaining centre halves but probably also better suited on the left. Not sure Keogh or Egan would be ideal to play on the side. I’ve seen people suggest playing Coleman in the right-centre-half slot which could work, I guess, but you’re probably losing some of his qualities. You lose your true wingers in that system, which hurts McClean and O’Dowda. A few years ago losing McClean would have been a major minus but now it’s not really much of a problem.

I think I’d still prefer to play a 4-2-3-1 type formation. Probably with Coleman on the left and Doherty on the right - or vice versa. Stevens has done pretty well for us, but I could even see an argument that Robbie Brady’s best slot for Ireland is at left back. It keeps the game in front of him, where he’s composed and distributes the ball well – and it keeps him in the side, which from a dead ball perspective is probably useful. I’ve never been convinced that he can play consistently in the centre of the park – and he doesn’t have the ability to beat player out wide that O’Dowda, Robinson or McClean would…

PS Speaking of Norwood, him retiring at 28 speaks volumes for what's going on up at Windsor Park and how committed the players are there

geysir
19/08/2019, 7:48 PM
PS Speaking of Norwood, him retiring at 28 speaks volumes for what's going on up at Windsor Park and how committed the players are there
Normally I wouldn't dismiss out of hand any random negative comment about the IFA/Windsor Park, but this one sounds like something of the standard you'd hear in the smelly jacks of a dublin pub.

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2019, 1:30 AM
I like to see us to start Stevens, Egan, Robinson and McGoldrick v Switzerland and try the system Sheffield United have been using.

I reckon Arter would be great in the Norwood role, and Doherty is obviously suited as a right wing back.

It feels like it would put a lot of round pegs in round holes and with quite a few of out lads playing there the others should be able to get up to speed very quickly. And Switzerland are likely to have as much trouble adapting to face it as other premier league sides seem to be having.
Not sure it'd be square pegs. Coleman has more than enough ability to play RCB in a three-man defence. McCarthy has always liked to play two forwards and that'd be one way to get them in with McGoldrick drifting between the lines. Rovers play the same way so could be a way to try out Jack Byrne against Bulgaria.

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2019, 1:32 AM
I think it's generally a difficult system to implement at international level, as there's much less time on the training ground to . It's a system which requires a lot of mobility from the left and right centre halves, I remember us trying to play it against Mexico and getting absolutely murdered in a friendly two years ago – and doing it a little better, but still not particularly well against maybe Wales in the Nations League.
That was just a baffling selection against Mexico though - five wingers? MON seemed to set it up to fail. Trap did the same against Uruguay with James McCarthy at 10 and it worked OK.

geysir
20/08/2019, 12:40 PM
You mean Trap had done likewise and set up James and the formation to fail to impress?

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2019, 12:56 PM
I meant he played 3-5-2 but now that I think about he may have just played 4-5-1 and that was revolutionary by his standards.

geysir
20/08/2019, 2:20 PM
Afair, James was positioned too far forward in an unfamiliar role at this level and Trap used his so so perforformance as an excuse not to select him. Mick has had no wriggle room, no Nations league games just straight into the thick of it with an unsettled and unbalanced team. I’d say he’s angling for a 4231, he would love to have James and one other in front of the back 4.

backstothewall
22/08/2019, 11:02 PM
Rovers play the same way so could be a way to try out Jack Byrne against Bulgaria.

Ohh. I like that idea.

Egan has played on the left of the 3 fairly regularly for Sheff Utd. I'd be looking at him on the left of 3 with Duffy on the centre and Coleman on the right.

‐----------- Randolph ‐-----------
--- Coleman Duffy Egan ---
Doherty -- Arter -- Stevens
------ Byrne Hourihane ------
-- McGoldrick Robinson --

third policeman
22/08/2019, 11:08 PM
Ohh. I like that idea.

Egan has played on the left of the 3 fairly regularly for Sheff Utd. I'd be looking at him on the left of 3 with Duffy on the centre and Coleman on the right.

‐----------- Randolph ‐-----------
--- Coleman Duffy Egan ---
Doherty -- Arter -- Stevens
------ Byrne Hourihane ------
-- McGoldrick Robinson --

McCarthy for Arter, otherwise decent lineup.

Olé Olé
22/08/2019, 11:27 PM
Would be 9 PL players of a line up too. I can't see it though.

DeLorean
23/08/2019, 2:54 PM
As for the personnel, Kevin Long can do it on the left, Duffy you'd imagine would play where Egan plays for Sheffield United. Ciaran Clark is probably the most mobile of the remaining centre halves but probably also better suited on the left. Not sure Keogh or Egan would be ideal to play on the side. I’ve seen people suggest playing Coleman in the right-centre-half slot which could work, I guess, but you’re probably losing some of his qualities. You lose your true wingers in that system, which hurts McClean and O’Dowda. A few years ago losing McClean would have been a major minus but now it’s not really much of a problem.

I think it was the Poland friendly when Long played this position. He did okay defensively but looked very uncomfortable on the ball. I think Keogh is a natural enough fit for the other side though.

DeLorean
23/08/2019, 2:59 PM
Realistically, what are we expecting?

Randy (I make no apologies, greatest nickname ever).
Coleman
Keogh
Duffy
Stevens
McCarthy (if he sees some more game time at Palace, if not- Whelan/Arter).
Hourihane
Hendrick
McClean
McGoldrick
Robinson

CraftyToePoke
23/08/2019, 3:11 PM

Coleman
Keogh
Duffy
Stevens
Hourihane
Hendrick
McClean
McGoldrick
Robinson

Its going to be a lot like this, yes. Functional, enough to stay in the game or not lose it heavily if things go badly early on.

Olé Olé
23/08/2019, 3:18 PM

Coleman
Keogh
Duffy
Stevens
Hourihane
Hendrick
McClean
McGoldrick
Robinson

This will be the team. I would be very surprised with anything else. It ain't bad but I feel it could be improved.

IsMiseSean
23/08/2019, 7:24 PM

McCarthy probably has more minutes than Whelan this season. Has Whelan started a game for Hearts yet?

DeLorean
23/08/2019, 9:10 PM
McCarthy probably has more minutes than Whelan this season. Has Whelan started a game for Hearts yet?

Don't think so but Whelan isn't as badly in need of some proper game time. Chances are he'll play a bit before the Switzerland game anyway.

Stuttgart88
26/08/2019, 3:13 PM
I think Whelan started for Hearts yesterday.

geysir
26/08/2019, 5:08 PM
Shaqiri hasn't played for Liverpool this season, I suppose in his case that means he will be fresh rather than stale.

geysir
26/08/2019, 5:59 PM

Coleman
Keogh
Duffy
Stevens
Hourihane
Hendrick
McClean
McGoldrick
Robinson
I doubt that Mick will change formation for this game and start with 2 forwards. Arter I think has to start and could hook up with James, i.e. if James plays tomorrow and impresses.

Olé Olé
26/08/2019, 7:00 PM
I doubt that Mick will change formation for this game and start with 2 forwards. Arter I think has to start and could hook up with James, i.e. if James plays tomorrow and impresses.
I don't think they mean Robinson down the middle.

geysir
26/08/2019, 9:39 PM
I don't think Mick will deviate from the formation he has used, namely one up front. Del suggested 2 forwards in the starting line up, Robinson and McGoldrick.

Olé Olé
26/08/2019, 9:49 PM
I don't think Mick will deviate from the formation he has used, namely one up front. Del suggested 2 forwards in the starting line up, Robinson and McGoldrick.

I'm saying McGoldrick would through the middle. Robinson on the wing.

DeLorean
27/08/2019, 9:31 AM

I doubt Arter will be available the way he's talking, saving himself for more important Fulham games.

DeLorean
27/08/2019, 9:34 AM

Yeah, I was visualising a front three, with Robinson and McClean either side of McGoldrick. Robinson and McGoldrick could even interchange at times.

geysir
27/08/2019, 11:52 AM
I doubt Arter will be available the way he's talking, saving himself for more important Fulham games.
I didn't know that.
Mick was at a Fulham game recently, presumably I thought to watch him play.

Diggs246
27/08/2019, 12:00 PM

What do you mean, what did he say?

DeLorean
27/08/2019, 12:08 PM
What do you mean, what did he say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpRt1XzHfno

DeLorean
27/08/2019, 12:17 PM
Sorry, thought it was the shorter video. The Ireland stuff starts at around eight minutes.

Diggs246
27/08/2019, 12:30 PM
This will be the 2nd time whee we have really needed him and he hasnt ansswered the call

We were desperate for midfield players for Wales at home in the last campaign and he f**ked off to Dubai ( he then played for Bournemouth in the next game)

We just cant have lads like this, he is certain to retire from Ireland after this campaign as well.

ybig
28/08/2019, 12:10 PM
Hope to see Jack Byrne in the final squad, the lack of game time for many of our midfielders is a definite concern

Fixer82
29/08/2019, 1:49 AM
Hope to see Jack Byrne in the final squad, the lack of game time for many of our midfielders is a definite concern

Good point. Byrne has been match-fit for months while the others were on holidays

nigel-harps1954
29/08/2019, 1:58 AM
Good point. Byrne has been match-fit for months while the others were on holidays

Not only match fit, but in cracking form too in both league and Europe recently. He'll be hard to overlook, regardless of where he's playing at the minute.