PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Switzerland- 5th September 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

seanfhear
03/09/2019, 8:18 AM
Must be a bit of a falling out between Mick and Shane .

geysir
03/09/2019, 11:35 AM
Comparing Mick's attitude to Hendrick and Long's situation is a futile exercise and a strawwman's argument when used as a stick to throw at Mick. Hendrick is fit, an integral component of the team and will start.

I wonder if this game could be a draw, yet another draw between the top teams in the group, a deja vu secenarion? Shaqiri will be missed but he didn't play in their game v Denmark where they went 3 up and controlled the game until that helter skelter last 10 minutes. They can play good football without him.

DannyInvincible
03/09/2019, 11:45 AM
To compound that, I don't think McClean has looked like scoring much for us so we don't have a goal threat on that side when we should. The heroics of Austria in 2016 and Wales in 2017 feel a long time ago.

It's a big concern for us generally, since James is actually the player in the team with the most international goals; ten. Next up is a central defender, Shane Duffy, on three goals and even Whelan, a defensive or holding midfielder, is joint-third (with Hendrick) on two. None of our forwards have any goals at all between them, and that's despite us already having played group minnows Gibraltar twice.

That all makes it all the more puzzling that Long (who has 17 international goals to his name) has been omitted, yet Jeff Hendrick, who has also had a lack of competitive games recently since losing his place in the Burnley squad, has been included. (Not that I'm suggesting Hendrick should have been omitted. I just think Long should have been included and am pointing to an apparent inconsistency in Mick's selection rationale (https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/im-not-really-concerned-jeff-hendrick-not-worried-by-lack-of-gametime-ahead-of-swiss-crunch-clash-38462183.html), since Long evidently isn't unfit or injured (https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/mick-mccarthy-shane-long-900323), given he got game-time for Southampton against Manchester United last weekend and played in the EFL Cup too.)

We really need at least one of our strikers in the squad to break their international duck during this set of games, preferably on Thursday.

Fixer82
03/09/2019, 12:42 PM
And Glenn’s last goal was that screamer against Italy. That's about 10 years ago

Diggs246
03/09/2019, 12:57 PM
Its unusual for mick not to want to have a look at parrott in training for himself. He could have been worth a run against Bulgaria. We need a goalscorer and sometimes the answer to a problem can be staring you in the face

youngirish
03/09/2019, 6:34 PM
I see Mick is comparing League 1's Alan Judge to Shaqiri:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0903/1073591-different-class-judge-can-give-ireland-shaqiri-factor/

Closer in footballing ability to Shakira.

jbyrne
03/09/2019, 9:02 PM
I see Mick is comparing League 1's Alan Judge to Shaqiri:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0903/1073591-different-class-judge-can-give-ireland-shaqiri-factor/

Closer in footballing ability to Shakira.

complaints that last two managers talked down our players.... cant win with some..

irishfan86
03/09/2019, 9:24 PM
No harm in talking Judge up. To be fair I think he would be playing at a higher level if not for injuries. It would certainly be an interesting pick if he was selected to start --one of those guys it's hard not to root for.

Strangely enough my biggest concern is the possibility that Mick will omit Robinson from the starting lineup.

DeLorean
04/09/2019, 11:33 AM
Paul Rowan saying this is the likely Swiss line-up:

Sommer (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
Schär (Newcastle United)
Akanji (Borussia Dortmund)
Elvedi (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
Mbabu (VfL Wolfsburg)
Zakaria (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
Xhaka (Arsenal)
Frueler (Atalanta)
Rodriguez (AC Milan)
Embolo (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
Seferovic (Benfica)

SkStu
04/09/2019, 11:42 AM

Schär (Newcastle United)
Mbabu (VfL Wolfsburg)
Xhaka (Arsenal)
Frueler (Atalanta)
Rodriguez (AC Milan)
Seferovic (Benfica)

Yes, but we have Alan Judge of Ipswich Town.

seanfhear
04/09/2019, 12:15 PM
Yes, but we have Alan Judge of Ipswich Town.Except for the bad injury he would be playing at a much higher level . If we ain’t got better we have to play what we have .

Thats the thing about international football .

DeLorean
04/09/2019, 12:28 PM
Yes, but we have Alan Judge of Ipswich Town.

Don't be so judgemental.

SkStu
04/09/2019, 12:51 PM
Except for the bad injury he would be playing at a much higher level . If we ain’t got better we have to play what we have .

Thats the thing about international football .

Don't be so judgemental.

The jury is still out on him to some extent though.

seanfhear
04/09/2019, 1:02 PM
Somebody is going to have smoke coming out of their ears !

Diggs246
04/09/2019, 1:16 PM
Tets "Judge" jury and executioner

youngirish
04/09/2019, 8:18 PM
complaints that last two managers talked down our players.... cant win with some..

Not from me. The previous managers had to make do with the poorest collective of Irish players since at least prior to the Hand days. Hopefully with the likes of Stevens and Robinson doing well in the Premiership and some of the younger talent starting to emerge we can start to reverse the trend that has existed since McCarthy's first tenure that each successive manager had a poorer collection of players to pick from than his predecessors.

Diggs246
04/09/2019, 8:44 PM
Not from me. The previous managers had to make do with the poorest collective of Irish players since at least prior to the Hand days. Hopefully with the likes of Stevens and Robinson doing well in the Premiership and some of the younger talent starting to emerge we can start to reverse the trend that has existed since McCarthy's first tenure that each successive manager had a poorer collection of players to pick from than his predecessors.
Trap had some of the best players ever to play for Ireland ( he didn't use them all and that was one of his many failings,)
Given. O'shea. Dunne. Coleman. James McCarthy. Duff. Robbie Keane. Wessi. Andy Reid. Steven Reid. Mcgeady. Etc etc

CraftyToePoke
04/09/2019, 8:44 PM
Interesting timing from Paddy Bam here I think. Had no interest and no comment when there was work to do and we were at a real low. We have started the campaign well, and a draw or a win next week, although maybe unlikely, would see us in the shake up. Suddenly he speaks, all of a sudden, Bamford moves to not rule it out.

CTP too cynical ?

youngirish
04/09/2019, 9:21 PM
Trap had some of the best players ever to play for Ireland ( he didn't use them all and that was one of his many failings,)
Given. O'shea. Dunne. Coleman. James McCarthy. Duff. Robbie Keane. Wessi. Andy Reid. Steven Reid. Mcgeady. Etc etc

Do you seriously think James McCarthy, Andy Reid, Steven Reid, Wessi and McGeady are some of the best players to ever play for Ireland? How long have you been watching football - 5 years? Hand and Charlton frequently had a selection of players playing for the best teams in Europe to pick from. Andy Reid, McGeady and Hoolahan were not even good enough to make a career above the Championship for any sustained period of time. Who is your etc etc? Caleb Folan?

tetsujin1979
04/09/2019, 9:21 PM
O'Shea, McGeady, Given and Dunne were four of the top six players he picked most often. Only Glenn Whelan and Robbie Keane were picked more than those four.
Steven Reid was injured for large parts of Trapattoni's tenure, so I don't think he can be criticised for not selecting him.

TrapAPony
04/09/2019, 9:37 PM

Schär (Newcastle United)
Mbabu (VfL Wolfsburg)
Xhaka (Arsenal)
Frueler (Atalanta)
Rodriguez (AC Milan)
Seferovic (Benfica)

Our side picks itself too. I just hope it is good enough to get a result :

Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens, Robinson, Whelan, Hourihane, Hendrick, McClean, McGoldrick. Hourihane playing in behind McGoldrick in a 4-5-1 formation.

Diggs246
04/09/2019, 9:44 PM
O'Shea, McGeady, Given and Dunne were four of the top six players he picked most often. Only Glenn Whelan and Robbie Keane were picked more than those four.
Steven Reid was injured for large parts of Trapattoni's tenure, so I don't think he can be criticised for not selecting him.
What I was saying was he had some of the best players to ever play for ireland at his disposal and imo trap didn't deliver the goods really

Fizzer
04/09/2019, 9:50 PM
I’d appreciate a statement from McCarthy or the FAI confirming that Bamford will not be considered for selection.I dislike him only slightly less than Rice.

Diggs246
04/09/2019, 9:54 PM
Do you seriously think James McCarthy, Andy Reid, Steven Reid, Wessi and McGeady are some of the best players to ever play for Ireland? How long have you been watching football - 5 years? Hand and Charlton frequently had a selection of players playing for the best teams in Europe to pick from. Andy Reid, McGeady and Hoolahan were not even good enough to make a career above the Championship for any sustained period of time. Who is your etc etc? Caleb Folan?

What I was saying was he had some of the best players to ever play for ireland at his disposal and imo trap didn't deliver the goods.
The players you go on to list (James McCarthy, Andy Reid, Steven Reid, Wessi and McGeady) are better players then what mick has now today

geysir
04/09/2019, 11:05 PM

Schär (Newcastle United)
Mbabu (VfL Wolfsburg)
Xhaka (Arsenal)
Frueler (Atalanta)
Rodriguez (AC Milan)
Seferovic (Benfica)
Brings to mind that Liverpool fan's 1970's european cup final banner, 'Now We're Munching Gladbach' .

Let's hope we munch gladbach.

CraftyToePoke
05/09/2019, 12:09 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0904/1073952-mccarthy-responds-to-unpleasant-swiss-criticism/

Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy says he isn't unduly worried by Switzerland’s crtiicms of their hosts in tonight’s Euro 2020 qualifier and says he is happy with the Irish style of play.

Group D table toppers Ireland could face their toughest task to date when the side ranked 11th in the world travel to Dublin looking to boost their own qualification hopes.

Swiss manager Vladimir Petkovic described Ireland's style of play as "very unpleasant" earlier this week and said his team must be extra vigilant of the Irish threats from set-pieces.

With a resolute defensive display laying the foundation to a 1-1 draw in Copenhagen, the 60-year-old was asked if he was going to make a tactical alteration for the Swiss.

"We'll be playing our usual brand, even though some people find it unpleasant," he told RTÉ Sport in reference to Petkovic’s comments.

"I thought we played quite pleasantly over the past four games to be honest. I hope he [Petkovic] is sat there in the dressing room afterwards thinking it was even more unpleasant and he doesn’t want to see us in October. That’s my view."

It has again reopened the debate around the Irish football philosophy and the perception that a powerful physical approach is the general perception of the Boys in Green, championed by Jack Charlton and carried on to varying degrees by many other Irish managers.

McCarthy, who led Ireland to the 2002 World Cup with a potent attacking Irish team, says putting opposition on the backfoot has always been an Irish trait, but it is also adopted by some of the most successful teams around.

"It’s part of our game. It’s part of the Premier League despite the fact that there is some wonderful football being played. The most aggressive teams in the Premier League at the moment are Manchester City and Liverpool.

If we end up winning ugly 1-0 and they find it unpleasant, I'll be finding it delightfully pleasant

"They have the highest press. You try and get through the press and they will foul and take you down no end. That’s aggressive, but the fact that they have £500m or whatever it is worth of full-backs in one team and can play all the football, that’s great, but they are undoubtedly the most aggressive teams in the Premier League.

"I watched Switzerland and there is no shortage of aggression from them, how they work and press. It’s then about what you do with the ball.

"If we end up winning ugly 1-0 and they find it unpleasant, I’ll be finding it delightfully pleasant."

Unpleasant, an insult or back handed compliment ?
A little of both perhaps.

These continental types don't tire of this type of public pre match assessment it seems.

geysir
05/09/2019, 9:14 AM
h (https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0904/1073952-mccarthy-responds-to-unpleasant-swiss-criticism/)

Unpleasant, an insult or back handed compliment ?
A little of both perhaps.

These continental types don't tire of this type of public pre match assessment it seems.

The "continental types" said nothing of the sort,
Granit Xhaka said "Die Iren spielen einen ähnlichen Fussball" which some Irish idiot journalist deliberately mistranslated to 'Ireland play an unpleasant football' and ran with it, desperate for some attention I suppose.

EAFC_rdfl
05/09/2019, 10:31 AM
Brings to mind that Liverpool fan's 1970's european cup final banner, 'Now We're Munching Gladbach' .

Let's hope we munch gladbach.

The pun police will be along shortly!

elatedscum
05/09/2019, 11:21 AM
The "continental types" said nothing of the sort,
Granit Xhaka said "Die Iren spielen einen ähnlichen Fussball" which some Irish idiot journalist deliberately mistranslated to 'Ireland play an unpleasant football' and ran with it, desperate for some attention I suppose.

Wait, so he was comparing our playing style to that of Northern Ireland? In my humble opinion, that's a far greater insult than was reported

tommy_c12000
05/09/2019, 5:34 PM
Our side picks itself too. I just hope it is good enough to get a result :

Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens, Robinson, Whelan, Hourihane, Hendrick, McClean, McGoldrick. Hourihane playing in behind McGoldrick in a 4-5-1 formation.

This team confirmed. I wouldn’t quite say it picks itself, rather it’s Micks choice. I would have Cullen for sure, we really have nothing to lose when a 35 year old Whelan is your alternative. Really depressing to see Whelan, Hendrick and McClean still starting, thank God our youngsters are starting to mature nicely

elatedscum
05/09/2019, 6:23 PM
It's almost the only team you could justifiably play given what has happened in previous games. It would be asking a lot for Egan or Cullen to come in now, without having played any meaningful internationals. O'Dowda and Judge could probably play at a stretch but that was always unlikely...

NeverFeltBetter
05/09/2019, 6:44 PM
Loads of empty seats at kick off.

tricky_colour
05/09/2019, 6:49 PM
Ireland are about 3-1, Swiss 6/5, the bookies do not fancy our chances.

tommy_c12000
05/09/2019, 6:58 PM
Whelan ridiculously slow with coverage as expected. Cullen certainly can’t do any worse. You can not justify Whelan playing, I am sorry. Eh....can an Irish player string a progressive pass or two together ???

tommy_c12000
05/09/2019, 7:04 PM
. Eh....can an Irish player string a progressive pass or two together ???

Signs of improvement now in fairness

SkStu
05/09/2019, 7:16 PM
Whelan ridiculously slow with coverage as expected. Cullen certainly can’t do any worse. You can not justify Whelan playing, I am sorry.

Couldn’t agree more.

tricky_colour
05/09/2019, 7:31 PM
Oh what a chance!

tricky_colour
05/09/2019, 7:35 PM
Good start, dunno why the Swiss are favourites, the teams are even really indeed, Ireland seem to be in the ascendency imo.
Probably given them the kiss of death with that comment!

pineapple stu
05/09/2019, 7:39 PM
This game is going to be decided by a basic mistake. Huge amount of them. It's more entertaining than recent games, but the standard is still poor, and the Swiss are shagging it I think

tricky_colour
05/09/2019, 7:49 PM
I am liking what I see, we look pretty solid in defence, the Swiss had one shot on target and that was offside I think,
they have had more possession but can't get anywhere with it, our chances have been better as we are hitting them on the break.
I can see us nicking this one.

geysir
05/09/2019, 7:54 PM
I am liking what I see, we look pretty solid in defence, the Swiss had one shot on target and that was offside I think,
they have had more possession but can't get anywhere with it, our chances have been better as we are hitting them on the break.
I can see us nicking this one.
Just don't place a bet on us.

tricky_colour
05/09/2019, 7:58 PM
Just don't place a bet on us.

Bit late for that, I can see us covering the Swiss in jam and rolling them over.

tommy_c12000
05/09/2019, 8:01 PM
Our centre backs have been superb. Whelan needs to come off. Wow, a league one player replacing a prem player. Amazing

tommy_c12000
05/09/2019, 8:13 PM
Our centre backs have been superb. Whelan needs to come off. Wow, a league one player replacing a prem player. Amazing

Misjudged cross by Alan? Shock

pineapple stu
05/09/2019, 8:17 PM
Lovely move from the side more likely to put together a lovely move

seanfhear
05/09/2019, 8:19 PM
Nice goal from the Swiss . I wish we could score a goal like that .

Ok , marking could have been better .

geysir
05/09/2019, 8:21 PM
That was some move, good goal. Hopefully we are in for a pressure cooker kitchen sink finish.

tommy_c12000
05/09/2019, 8:23 PM
Nice goal. We haven’t had a defensive midfielder all game, could drive a jumbo jet through the hole Whelan yields. Still time for equalizer but probably not deserved. Coleman a shadow of himself. Stevens still not adapted to international football. Whelan last should have played for us 4 years ago. McClean simply terrible as he has been for stoke for some time. Hendrick had good first half, Hourihane his usual anonymous self apart excellent set pieces and a couple of nice passes. McG remains nothing more than a poor stop-gap measure, would have played Robbo more advanced.

Mick McCarthy’s decision making has to be questioned. Alan Judge? Persistence with Whelan? No substitution when players clearly tiring. The sooner he’s gone the better

tommy_c12000
05/09/2019, 8:26 PM
And now a bit part player for Stoke City is coming on to save the day. Micks just playing all his old buddies at this stage. Needs to be held accountable

The Fly
05/09/2019, 8:27 PM
Yesssssssss