PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup simmering nicely....

Xlex
03/05/2005, 9:36 AM
Group A

Longford Town up to Windsor Park to play Linfield. A win and we're through to the final. A Draw and it's up to Linfield to make the final, Glentoran will be out and similar to Portadown may release players to keep the costs of part-time football down. I don't believe that either their manager or their fans would insist on keeping there players and extra week just to fulfill a game against their fierce rivals and cost the club any further wages. Must win for Longford. Despite being in the driving seat we need a win because anything else and we are likely to be out.

Group B.
Last nights win for Shels really put it up to Cork to get a two nil win in Portadown who are likely to field a weaker side due to the fact that they have achieved all the can and it's the end of the season and may release some of their squad to keep costs down

It's heating up and the group winner is guarenteed 80,000 eur, big money in either league....

Predictions:
Linfield 1-1 Longford
Glentoran 0-2 Linfield

Linfield to qualify

Cork 2-0 Portadown

Cork to qualify....

Cork to win this Cup outright?

paudie
03/05/2005, 9:43 AM
As Cork City's chief pessimistic supporter I'd like to point out the following:

1. The last time we played against a weakend team with "nothing to play for" in a game we had to win we only drew 1-1 with Bohs in the last game of the season

2. Have you seen our home record this year?

EnDai
03/05/2005, 10:53 AM
As Cork City's chief pessimistic supporter I'd like to point out the following:

1. The last time we played against a weakend team with "nothing to play for" in a game we had to win we only drew 1-1 with Bohs in the last game of the season

2. Have you seen our home record this year?

Both excellent points! :D

A face
03/05/2005, 11:18 AM
Shels are filth !!
Shels are filth !!

De Town
03/05/2005, 11:49 AM
Shels are filth !!
Shels are filth !!
God love ya A Face :rolleyes:

Shels didnt go screaming at the officials last night for the goal to be given, the lino gave it to them.

Get Over It :cool:

Slash/ED
03/05/2005, 12:12 PM
I don't believe that either their manager or their fans would insist on keeping there players and extra week just to fulfill a game against their fierce rivals and cost the club any further wages

I bet they would, they are football fans afterall, they don't want to lose to their biggest rivals.

Xlex
03/05/2005, 1:32 PM
I bet they would, they are football fans afterall, they don't want to lose to their biggest rivals.

at what cost? easy knowing Shels fans are unrealistic when it comes to running costs and being a bit prudant...

2500 when to the first Glentoran - Linfield game. 10000 went to the league decider the following Saturday. I hardly think they embraced the setanta cup fixture and are highly unlikely to embrace the last one either. especially if one of the sides are out of the running!

Slash/ED
03/05/2005, 1:34 PM
at what cost? easy knowing Shels fans are unrealistic when it comes to running costs and being a bit prudant...

Lucky I'm not in charge of the finances so

2500 when to the first Glentoran - Linfield game. 10000 went to the league decider the following Saturday. I hardly think they embraced the setanta cup fixture and are highly unlikely to embrace the last one either. especially if one of the sides are out of the running!

It's still a big two derby, and one neither team will want to lose. For Glens stopping Linfield will be motivation enough.

Xlex
03/05/2005, 2:53 PM
It's still a big two derby, and one neither team will want to lose. For Glens stopping Linfield will be motivation enough.

At the cost of a weeks wages?

Well fair enough but if we only manage a point out of the Windsor park game I would say we would have our bags 80% packed....