PDA

View Full Version : Go On The Owls

Pages : [1] 2

The Owls
30/04/2005, 5:51 PM
Wednesday booked their place in the playoffs today.At long last something to look forward to.Its been too long! :)

OwlsFan
01/05/2005, 8:29 AM
And by a last minute goal for a change - usually the other way round. Hope to get over for the play off final if Wednesday make it but a tough semi-final before that. Fingers crossed.

The Owls
01/05/2005, 4:17 PM
Is Steve Mclean due back any time soon.Hasn't been much word on his progress.I remember sturrock saying it would be the playoffs before hed be back.

Bully Bull
01/05/2005, 4:58 PM
great to here it.I was rooting for them all season even though im a leicester fan.Hope to see ye in the championship next year.Ye made hard work of it the last few weeks.

The Owls
02/05/2005, 1:07 PM
We sure did.But id say if we could of kept jones and o Brien for the rest of the season we might of got automatic.Those two made a big difference to our season.And if we do get promoted hopefully we can interest the both of them.

Gerrit
02/05/2005, 10:47 PM
I hope you go up, a club like Sheffield Wednesday should play higher - they got an impressive average crowd, even in Second Division. And a Sheffield derby is always something to look forward to.

By the way, where does the club name come from ?? It would be too simple to just guess they were founded on a Wednesday, so was it named after some organisation or place or so ?

OwlsFan
03/05/2005, 11:41 AM
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club was ‘born’ on the evening of Wednesday 4
September 1867, at a meeting of the members of The Wednesday Cricket Club – named after the day that the players, primarily local craftsmen, took a
half-day off work to participate.

I've suffered so much following them, I feel as if was there was in 1867 myself.

The Owls
03/05/2005, 12:13 PM
Thats crazy they formed on the fourth of September.I never knew that,Thats my birthday.Supporting wednesday is like a rollercoaster but its mostly down hill with sumkind of hill but it never reaches the top.

OwlsFan
03/05/2005, 4:08 PM
There you go - it was fate that you followed them. Were you in the Supporters' Club in Dublin ? I used to do a newsletter called THE RARE OWL TIMES :D

I was amazed to find that having thought for years I was the only Owls Supporter in Ireland, there were at least 50 other lunatics that support a team which loses more often than it wins but who love it :eek: . No glory hunters there.

The Owls
03/05/2005, 9:14 PM
No i wasnt in the supporters club.I was a bit too young when the one actually existed.I remember seeing in the herald every thursdai, I think it was thursday.There used to be one up in tallaght.That was the closest to me.Id like to see a supporters club.There is alot more out there than you would think.Its just a pain theres more arsenal fans to remind us of 93.

TheOwl
04/05/2005, 3:17 PM
Man alive I didn't think I'd find a couple of Wednesday heads on foot.ie

Owls (and Shels) fan here since 1992.

Have either of you been over this season? I was at the Barnsley away game, and am hoping to go to the home playoff leg and of course Cardiff if we get there!

drinkfeckarse
04/05/2005, 3:45 PM
Hope Wednesday go up, always liked the club.

OwlsFan
04/05/2005, 4:11 PM
The Owls are swarming. 1991/2/3 was a fertile ground for recruiting Wednesday fans with the League Cup victory over Man U in 1991 and the 2 Cup finals against Arsenal in 1993. I go back to the 1966 Cup final!

No, haven't been over since the last Sheffield derby which is a few years back. Will go to Cardiff if Wednesday get there.

Greatest Owls memory: League Cup Final 1991 (John Sheridan goal) and the semi-final League cup first leg win in Blackburn 1-4 in 1993. Magic.

Gerrit
04/05/2005, 4:38 PM
Fair play to the Owls fans for sticking with the club in difficult times !

The Owls
04/05/2005, 5:37 PM
Ashamed to say it but never been to Hillsborough.The only premiership game i saw with them playing was in villa park back in 98.Two all.Our own Steve staunton scored a peach that day to give villa a share of the points.Will go over hillsborough next season,Flights from Dublin to Doncaster are operating now.Will definetly try to get to Cardiff if we make it.Jus hope we dont get Tranmere in the semis.

OwlsFan
05/05/2005, 8:43 AM
Best way is to fly to Manchester and take train to Sheffield. I've done this numerous times as a day trip. It's tight after the game rushing back to catch the train back to Manchester. Always amuses me to see all the Man U colours on the plane and they trying to see who the lunatic with the Owls scarf is.

TheOwl
05/05/2005, 9:17 AM
hey TheOwls,

Make sure you get over for the derby next year if we go up - a peach of a game.

Was on the Kop for Wednesday's 2-0 win there a few years back when Owusu came on for his debut and scored with more or less his first touch of the game. We all thought he was going to become a Wednesday legend - pity how things turn out.

Was also at the first league derby we had with the Pigs after we dropped out of the Premiership; we lost 2-1 but there was 39,000 there that day as there was no restrictions on tickets or anything - some athmosphere.

Best Wednesday memory was when we went top of the league a good few years back after winning our first four games. I was at the first two 2-1 victory over Villa at home an a magical 2-0 away win at Elland Road (there was a guy in an Offaly jersey in front of me at the Wednesday end). My Dad and I then drove up to Scotland for Shels Cup-winners Cup match with Kilmarnock - Kilmarnock scored in the 3rd min of stoppage time to win 2-1. Second leg at Tolka was 1-1.

jebus
07/05/2005, 7:45 PM
Haha didn't realise there were that many of us Owls fans on foot, should get on the World Football thread more often I suppose. Looks like we'll be playing Brentford in the play off semis anyway, which is okay by me, I wanted to avoid Tranmere at all costs. When we get up to the Championship though we should organise a group to head over to Hillsborough for the derby game alright, shame that **** Warnock won't be managing United anymore though, well that is if he sticks to his promise to resign if they don't get promoted this season, what a plank!

TheOwl
08/05/2005, 2:49 PM
Just ordered my tickets for the Brentford Home Leg on Thursday - can't wait.

COME ON THE OWLS!!!!

OwlsFan
11/05/2005, 1:12 PM
Brentford are the weakest of the 4 teams in the play-offs so, touch wood. the Owls have a chance in that one. Anyone know whether the games are on Sky. I expect Tranmere to beat Hartlepool, setting up hopefully an Owls vs Tranmere final. 1st time I won't be rooting for Jason. I think Tranmere did the double over Wednesday this year.

Enjoy the game - no last minute goals by the opposition pleasssssseeeeeee. :eek:

drummerboy
11/05/2005, 1:14 PM
Sheffield Wed game is on Sky Sports 1 tomorrow night. 7.45pm

OwlsFan
11/05/2005, 1:29 PM
:) :D :) :D Thanks.

TheOwl
11/05/2005, 4:04 PM
All playoff games live.

Won't be going to Brentford on Monday as tickets are for season ticket holder only.

My Brentford tickets should mean I'll get tickets for the final (if we get there!)

Anyone else off to Cardiff if we can get past the Bees?

OwlsFan
11/05/2005, 4:07 PM
I hope to go with the missus (what's the shopping like in Cardiff :D ?). As a Wednesday fan this is a terrible presumptuous question, but what day is the final ? Saturday week ?

TheOwl
11/05/2005, 4:39 PM
Sunday 29th May

OwlsFan
13/05/2005, 7:46 AM
1-0 to the Owls with Whelan getting man of the match. Poor quality game but 28K+ in attendance and lots of passion. Nice to see a combative Wednesday team for a change rather than a team of Gerald Sibons or Benito Carbones (wonder what team he's with at the moment).

Roll on Griffith Park next Monday.

razor
13/05/2005, 12:58 PM
Only caught the last 5 minutes but Isaiah Rankin was very lucky to escape with just a yellow card for a disgraceful tackle on Whelan.

holidaysong
13/05/2005, 1:02 PM
Seen Wednesday play us in Oriel park about 10 yrs ago and the Wednesday Irish supporters club showd up...all 10 of them :D

The Owls
13/05/2005, 1:23 PM
We looked good last night,Defensive was in good shape.The one thing i was worried about.Jp was great in the first half,but Whelan had an alround good game.Thank god lucas was fit,cos i would have been at nerves end if that donkey Adamson was in.Roll on Monday!

TheOwl
14/05/2005, 12:54 PM
16 hour round-trip to get to the game but well worth it. Hillsborough was absolutley jumping all around the ground. Was shocked when they announced only 28.5K because I couldn't see more than a handful of empty seats in the home section.

The away end was a different matter now...

OwlsFan
16/05/2005, 8:52 AM
Seen Wednesday play us in Oriel park about 10 yrs ago and the Wednesday Irish supporters club showd up...all 10 of them :D

I was one of them but there were more than 10 :p John Coady, who's our local postman, was playing full back for Dundalk that day. I did feel a bit guilty supporting an English team over an Irish one but it was just a friendly. Nice sunny day in Dundalk and I got a picture of the Irish fans published in the Sheffield Wednesday programme.

Good luck tonight boys against Brentford.

magic moments
16/05/2005, 12:27 PM
I was one of them but there were more than 10 :p John Coady, who's our local postman, was playing full back for Dundalk that day. I did feel a bit guilty supporting an English team over an Irish one but it was just a friendly. Nice sunny day in Dundalk and I got a picture of the Irish fans published in the Sheffield Wednesday programme.

Good luck tonight boys against Brentford.

Is that the same john coady who played for CHELSEA between 1986-1988? :ball:

sadloserkid
16/05/2005, 5:07 PM
Personally I'm rooting for Hartlepool (well I did live near there during my brief tenure in England). :D

TheOwl
16/05/2005, 6:18 PM
Ei Ei Ei O
Up the football league we go!

Well here is hoping anyway!

Come on the Owls - do us proud!

TheOwl
16/05/2005, 9:24 PM
We hate you Sunday we do!
We hate you Monday we do!
We hate you Tuesday we do!
BUT WEDNESDAY WE LOVE YOU!

Ps. Thank you very much Portadown!

OwlsFan
17/05/2005, 8:59 AM
But then again I remember some Chelsea fans singing "Monday, Tuesday, Who the f*** are Wednesday".

Good performance last night. Plenty of never say die performances although Steve Bruce's son is a woeful passer and panicks when on the ball (one nice run to the byline though).

The price of hotels in Cardiff is a rip-off. Obviously put up for for the play-off week end. Now, to try and get a match ticket.

I also have a soft spot for Hartlepool - the team which has been re-elected to the league more often than any other but I'd sooner face them than Tranmere. I have this nasty feeling Trigger will score the goal which puts Wednesday out. :eek:

drummerboy
17/05/2005, 9:01 AM
I see Graham Barrett didn't even make the bench. Was he injured?

Closed Account 2
17/05/2005, 11:23 PM
I think Tranmere did the double over Wednesday this year.

Certainly did, and beat Hartlepool home and away, Brentford home (lost to them away last month tho) sadly counts for nothing now, thanks to the lottery of penalties.

Good luck, I hope you go up as Hartlepool will be less competition in the automatic promotion race for us next season. :D

jebus
18/05/2005, 1:44 PM
I'm hoping to hear back from the bank this week on whether I have my credit card or not.....but since its AIB i'm not too hopeful of getting it or the my ticket to Cradiff.......need to get to final! We completly dominated Brentford in both legs though and should have run out with an even bigger scoreline than 3-1 agg. Still all we have to do is beat those also-rans in Cardiff and we have the Sheffield derby back again!! Actually if I get my credit card, then SLK I'll book two tickets and you can bring you're Hartlepool scarf and stand in the middle of the Wednesday boys!! :p

TheOwl
19/05/2005, 10:05 AM
For those interesting in travelling to the playoff final you can fly with Ryanair early on the morning of the game, and then back with Air Wales in the evening for under €100 all-in return.

I'm on the Air Wales flight on the way back but have to fly Aer Lingus to London and get a train to Cardiff because my dad refuses to fly Ryanair - doh!

OwlsFan
19/05/2005, 10:50 AM
Hmmmm, missed that one somehow. We're going out the day before and coming home the Monday morning at 10.00 am. Prices of hotels in Cardiff are a rip off by the way. How much time have you got between the end of the game and your flight home ?

TheOwl
19/05/2005, 10:59 AM
Flight home is at 8.30 - so even if it goes to extra-time we should be ok. My big worry is making sure the match tickets arrive in time.

OwlsFan
19/05/2005, 11:02 AM
I see Graham Barrett didn't even make the bench. Was he injured?

I'm not sure what the story with Barrett is. The Owls have another young striker in Talbot and Barrett has disappeared from the scene. He must be injured. He would be better than that stick Quinn who is up front at the moment.

OwlsFan
19/05/2005, 11:03 AM
Flight home is at 8.30 - so even if it goes to extra-time we should be ok. My big worry is making sure the match tickets arrive in time.

How are you getting the tickets ?

TheOwl
19/05/2005, 11:30 AM
I'm applying in the post - I'm eligible from Sunday to get tickets as I have a stub from the Brentford game.

OwlsFan
23/05/2005, 4:38 PM
Think we'll try and pick up a ticket on the day. Wednesday have already sold their allocation of 30k so I'm not sure how many will be left over for postal applications.

Prediction: glad it's Hartlepool instead of Tranmere. I'll go for 1-0 to the Owls over the Monkeys in a dour struggle but then I wouldn't be surprised if they lost either, probably to a last minute goal. Memories of the 1993 Cup Final - Andy Linigan. Not sure he ever scored another goal for Arsenal. Bit like Morrow in the League Cup Final the same year :( also against Wednesday.

TheOwl
25/05/2005, 1:00 PM
My tickets arrived in the post today - cmon!!!

OwlsFan
25/05/2005, 1:39 PM
^
I
I
envious. I am going and have some feelers out but if I don't get them, I'll try and buy some in Cardiff.

TheOwl
25/05/2005, 1:52 PM
If you're stuck, you can buy then on the net, albeit only for the Harlepool end.

TheOwl
25/05/2005, 3:09 PM
Owlsfan -

Was just on the Millennium Stadium site to see where I'm sitting and say this under the League One playoff section

The Millennium Stadium is
not selling tickets for this
match. Supporters of both
clubs appearing in the final
should contact their own
club ticketing services for
further information about
obtaining tickets

Just thought I'd make you aware of that.

If you're stuck http://www.seetickets.com/see/category_sport.asp

is the site where you can buy H'pool tockets.