PDA

View Full Version : Glentoran win the league

-lamb-
30/04/2005, 6:26 PM
glentoran won the irish league today with a win over crusaders. well done to glentoran, imo it was deserved.
the result, and ards' good win at newry, forces crusaders into the relegation playoffs against glenavon. 1st playoff tues 10th may at mourneview, 2nd playoff fri 13th(eek!) may at seaview.

other than that, the only thing left is the Irish Cup Final between portadown and larne next saturday :D

Poor Student
30/04/2005, 10:25 PM
I've followed the Irish league very vaguely through reading the match reports in the Sunday Life while working in a newsagents in Sunday morning. That was one hell of a battle for the title. So tight for so long. Well done Glens. I think they also won the league cup and rans Portadown to a replay in the Irish Cup Semi. So it has been a great season for them.

CollegeTillIDie
02/05/2005, 9:02 AM
I'd like to congratulate Glen and indeed the entire Toran clan on their success :D

Duncan Gardner
02/05/2005, 10:14 AM
Can I be excused the Gurntoran love in, please?

Division Two here we come... :(

-lamb-
02/05/2005, 1:49 PM
oops, just realised i made a horlicks of the playoff dates.
should be this week not next. sorry.
Mourneview Park 3rd May
Seaview on Friday 6th May
7.45 KO both games

not sure if this mornings fire at mourneview will affect the game tomorrow though.

Gerrit
02/05/2005, 3:23 PM
Oh lovely, a stadium called Seaview... That sounds so idyllic, I hope those lads win the play-off.

I kinda like Linfield, so rather saw Glentoran miss the title. But anyway, congrats to them :(

Fortuna1886
02/05/2005, 11:05 PM
Oh lovely, a stadium called Seaview... That sounds so idyllic, I hope those lads win the play-off.

:(
If only you knew, before you see the sea :rolleyes: you have to look at railway tracks, a train cleaning depot and the main refuse land fill site for greater Belfast.

Its a very tight wee ground with a perimeter wall about 5 feet from the side and touch lines.

They have just announced plans to refurbish the exsisiting stand and build a new 800 seater stand, I hope its the same architect who designed the Tardis cause christ knows how they will fit it in.

Gerrit
02/05/2005, 11:45 PM
You can't actually see the sea ??

Solitude's another lovely stadium name in N.Ireland

Fortuna1886
03/05/2005, 12:11 AM
You can't actually see the sea ??

Solitude's another lovely stadium name in N.IrelandMaybe from the roof of the main stand :)

As for Solitude :rolleyes: where to begin! Shamrock Rovers wouldn't take it for free, in saying that some of their fans spend quite a bit of time there. The fact it clashes with our visit is purely coincidental

-lamb-
03/05/2005, 12:50 AM
ah now fortuna, are you forgetting the lovely big hole in the wall for motorway viewing? lol

pity you weren't coming up on friday gerrit, crusaders play the 2nd leg of their relegation/survival playoff that night.

ps. the crues will fit 800 seats in easy. i think we have 800 seats at inver and thats a lot tighter than seaview!

pps. the thing that annoys me most about solitude is one side being just a grassy, unused bank.