PDA

View Full Version : No Team Bashing here ... but!!

Petmuller
30/04/2005, 12:17 PM
Lads, we have to be honest, we're going nowhere with this team. As a supporter of Rovers I want success. It's all very well saying so and so is a nice fellow but can he do a job for my club? Judgeing by last night's game there's quite a few players not up to the task in hand and that's being brutally honest. In fairness to Athlone they played the game on the ground and they allowed our lads to express themselves. It's in games like this we'd expect our own players to shine. The simple reality is they didn't. Did we once looked like scoring ... I don't think so.

Players by player analysis;

John O' Hara
Very confident between the sticks, great shot stopper.
Philip Gallagher
The weakest link of the back four. Competent enough in defencive mode but will never move forward on the overlap. We need our full backs moving forward and to be able to set up play with solid passing of the ball. Gallagher is not capable of this, gives possession away too easily.
Michael McNamara and Liam Burns
Rovers are blessed having these two in our side, by far the best defencive partnership in the league. Can't say enough to express my satisfaction.
Kupono Low
I've come to expect more from this player because I know he's capable of more. He can move forward and is a good passer of the ball but he doesn't so I have to ask why?
Rafael Cretaro
Brilliant moving forward, our most dangerous player yet he spends ages waiting for supply. The players around him don't seem to realise the talent of this lad and we don't utilise him enough. It's all very well playing him wide but he needs the ball in order to get the best from him.
Conor O' Grady
Very solid and consistant. Ever alert to what's happening round him. Great stopper, his attitude is right, gives 100% every minute of the game.
Fahrudin Kudozovic
Very disappointed with Faz. The type of 'football' played in the first division certainly doesn't suit his style of play. He doesn't mix it which is paramount in the division we play. I'd be prepared to stick with him because I realise the quality player he is but he needs to get more involved and he has to up the tempo of his workrate.
Jason McCarthy
Not suited for the first division, game too physical for him. Too light weight but that's because of his young years. Needs more time to build himself up. Certainly one for the future but not just yet.
Steve Feeney
Has the potential to be great but lacks the drive. A player the gaffer needs to take under his wing and encourage the best out of him. Big lad could be very dominant but must believe that himself. Has the potential to do a job but needs to become more involved.
Brian Tosh
A nightmare for defenders. Another player that needs building. A bit on the small side for the physical division we're involved in. Needs to build on his confidence levels. Can do a job but not just yet.
Carlos Alvarez
Another time another place maybe but no, just not eircom league material. Lacks nothing in determination and effort, just way off the pace of the game. Too used to a different type of game and won't adapt to our game.
Sean Flannery
Nowhere near the player he was a few years ago. Gets up well but doesn't attack the ball anymore with his head. Well off the pace and not as alert to the players around him as is expected for a forward. Was good at holding up the ball which was his greatest attribute but seems to even have lost that now.
Ciaran Foley
Certainly not a forward. His workrate is better employed in midfield, a good stopper, hard to get past but his footballing skill is limited.
Steven O' Donnell
Has proven he can score goals. Very good breaking into the box which is a handful for any defender. His type of play needs good supply, a department we lack in which is a huge worry. When fully match fit will do a huge job for us.
Paul McTiernan
Great to see him back. Paul's strength is running on to a through ball, won't let us down when it comes to finding the net, this player certainly knows where the goal is. The big worry is, like O' Donnell, he needs the supply, a playmaker that can read his game. Sadly we don't have such a player, had hoped Faz would fit the bill but he hasn't lived up to his pre-season promise.
Ryan O' Donnell
Very surprised this lad hasn't been given a chance. Very solid defender who can use possession very well. Good footballing brain and will overlap and get forward when the opportunity arises.

Anyone I have left out of the squad is deliberate as I don't think the rest are ready or good enough. Formations should vary from game to game but should they play as a unit, an area where we are falling down big time, then we can be as good as any team in our division. Confidence is a huge factor now so it's up to the coaching staff to get the players believeing in their ability. There's a long way to go to season's end so there's all to play for. Getting our house in order now will make the difference in the long run.

Da Real Rover
01/05/2005, 9:35 AM
I think Rafa is wasted on the wing. He does far more damage up front as he proved at the end of last season. To be honest he is a class apart from the rest of the squad, a real gem.

gustavo
01/05/2005, 10:32 AM
yeah gotta agreee with ye lads rafs been consistently our best player for the last five years :) hopefully he will play in the prem with rovers soon

SligoRoversfan
01/05/2005, 3:57 PM
no,Raf is better off on the wing,when hes actually given the ball,it spends most of the time with mcCartney the other side, and he just runs into players and takes way too much out of the ball

roversfan
02/05/2005, 6:49 PM
have to agree with most of what you said petmuller.
unless something is done quick we are heading no place this year.
Why play flannery and tosh for a whole game.
what has happened our midfield.
ok its early days yet..but we have thrown away games.
what went on in Athlone on friday night was a disgrace, we need at least 4 more players.
The sad thing about all this is that come saturday night you will not see as many in the showgrounds, because the standard of football has dropped 50%.
We have to win our games against the poorer teams, no point in beating galway away and not wining your home games.

One other thing while i may complain here i still believe that givin the way the first division is progressing we still can do it..
there were alot of headless chickens on the pitch on friday night, and they
need to be sorted out,ie flannery etc

Redzer
03/05/2005, 3:34 PM
that's awfully harse on flannery i thought he played well enuff if he had some1 decent beside him we wuda won i think

I agree red til dead, Flannery played his heart out. In the second half you could see he was not match fit, but he kept going. We all know his limitations. He was much better than Carlos has been for us. We need his strength cos Tosh isn't worth a fiddlers, when facing big defenders.
He will give us an extra option up front.