PDA

View Full Version : Munster Senior League

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236

Glenbuck
02/06/2011, 12:51 PM
wonder if biscuits will be at douglas next year even if they beat rockmount?? from all the leaks coming out of the dressing room bout arguments and infighting, would a league win paper over all those cracks????
story with podge is he back ,is donovan fit and are moorsey and kev mul available.Any body got anything else
biscuits and crumbs signing 5 new players next year so will be staying that means 4 to colcorr

podge out long term with knee injury everyone else available

hall trayned last sunday morning at half eight all systems go
glenbuck did mount get arounnd suspensionsAway in England for weekend. Only back in time for kick off last night.

Glenbuck
02/06/2011, 12:58 PM
Congrats to all at the Mount. Some league to win. Credit to all involved. Huge turn out imo id say it was more like 1000. there was close to 600 at the game friday night and there was far more last night. Also good to see the league donating the proceeds to charity. Taught it was a goog game to watch. Hall had a a few great chances, 2 in the 1st and a great save from Brendan in the 2nd. People come on here and knock the Mount for the type of football they play , well for those in attendence last night it was a different display from them. the webt long on a few occasions but with Kinger in the middle they knocked it around and imo opinion beat Duglas at there own game.

Lads would welcome some opnions on this: Paying to watch amateur football { not knocking last night} I travel around and get in alot of games over a season weather its Junior or Senior. 3 euros doesnt sound like much but added it up over a season could be close to 100. well i took in 5 games last month in 1 week and cost me 24, I get over paying for playoffs and Intermediate cup games but some clubs are carging now for O connell and Beamish cup games bit Irish aint it???I think there is a case when they have to pay for 3 officials, otherwise forget it.

Glenbuck
02/06/2011, 1:10 PM
Thanks to all for the well wishes. I will pass them on to Billy and lads. Great night last night. Look lads there was a job to be done and the boys went out and did what they had to do. Back in Nov/Dec we were written off. Thanks be to God that Billy Cronin and his backroom staff are so experienced with all that is going on in the MSL that they kept the lads ticking over. The shout out Whitechurch way was, keep ticking along other teams will drop points. And how right they were proved. Huge questions now hang over Douglas Hall and this group of players. Still, it is there problem and thank God it is not ours. Looking fwd to the remainder of the season. O Connell cup on Sunday v St Marys. This is on par with 99 when we won our first one and once again we were written off.

Billynomates
02/06/2011, 3:29 PM
Congrats to rockmount last night. Wasnt the pretiest of games but im sure rockmount players and fans dont care what way they played once the league was there. They fully deserved the win and even when Douglas Hall had the league more or less wrapped up Rockmount kept going.

greengrass
02/06/2011, 4:32 PM
goal here: http://vimeo.com/24512118

cracking goal
great idea for the goalcam

maninthemiddle
02/06/2011, 4:47 PM
congrats to mounts..on the night they deserved it but i just hope there was no kids there watching it....if thats what wins u leagues they local soccer in cork has a long way to go...mount barely put 3 passes together in the whole game..i was astounded at the level of play of some of the so called big names....hall didnt play well in the night but at least they tried to get it down and pass it....500 people is prob accurate but how many of them would come and watch another game after paying a fiver to watch that!!! mounts antics towards the ref were a disgrace which started after 30 seconds with their keeper charging out of his box to tell the ref 'deal with it' when a hall player put in a tackle...needless to say he was booked

maninthemiddle ur opinion - i dont think its any secret that mounts tactics have always been to question (bully) referrees which in fairness gets them results but do the refs nopt see that or are they happy to be seen to be looking after the big boys..the card count at half time must have been 5 -1 id say in a 50/50 game...and how the linesman could give that free for handball is beyond me!!!!so many humps on the pitch it must have been difficult to see

but as they say the league table does not lie so well done mount

in my opinion there is not a whole lot a ref can do to players who use his first name and are in reality only raising there voice and of course using gamesmanship.

the ref has to remain neutral and especially calm in games like last night. he has more to worry about and should be strong enough not to be bullied about.

rockmount did a lot of it last night but i saw plenty of it from douglas as well though not as bad. big difference to in saying "thats a joke ref" to "you're a joke ref". some will book for both some will not book for either.

same goes for the manner its said. if its wild with eyes bulging he gets a card if he is saying it from forty yards away and its barley audible then its different.they were both at it though.it will either get under a refs skin or it wont but it defo wont bully him imo if he is strong.

the card count was high and deservedly so. i myself would have had reds earlier as ther was a 20 minute spell in the second half where it got nasty imo. i thought dan and the linos had a good game. there was loads of yellows but i cant see many that were not. thats down to the players.

i thought it was a huge call to call the handball outside the box. i was down the far corner on the rockmount side so i was miles away and as surprised as anyone to see it. i spoke to several people @ half time including 2 douglas supporters and my own brother who were directly inline and all confirmed the douglas keeper collectd the ball outside the box. a ref on his own may not have seen it. there were not to mnay complaints tbf.

i didnt see one player that stood out from either side last night but it was that type of game. it was a poor and very physical game that rockmount came out on top of and good luck to them. very little skill to admire last night but that happens.very little clear cut chance for both sides.

at least 96fm got a good few bob out of it for the telethon which was the bigger winner on the night. officials gave their match fee as well into the pot.

well done to both teams though as it was still a tense and enjoyable night!

Shilts
03/06/2011, 10:58 AM
i thought it was a huge call to call the handball outside the box. i was down the far corner on the rockmount side so i was miles away and as surprised as anyone to see it. i spoke to several people @ half time including 2 douglas supporters and my own brother who were directly inline and all confirmed the douglas keeper collectd the ball outside the box. a ref on his own may not have seen it. there were not to mnay complaints tbf.

Congrats to Rockmount - well deserved win on the night.

With regards to the above incident which in my opinion decided the game (and season maybe?) I can 100% state that the Hall keeper picked up the ball in the "D" outside the box.
I was on the linesmans side but closer to the goal, so he had a better view than me and I could clearly see it - it wasn't even close.
I had missed the start of the game and the lads around me said that he had done it earlier also.

One thing you don't do is give Rockmount set piece opportunities to hurt you.
And the first goal is always vital in these tight games.
I couldn't see Hall getting back into it afterwards.
I'd have liked to see them use more width though to get around Rockmount's defence.

Rockmount did defend like demons - very impreessed with the guys rushing out bravely to make the important blocks when it mattered.
That's what wins leagues!!! :ball:

Reznik
07/06/2011, 3:47 PM
Beamish Cup Final tomorrow night Blarney v Douglas! Can hall add to the keane cup and get some more silverware from this spiralling season or will they be denied once again?

Silly Billy G
08/06/2011, 9:09 PM
Beamish Cup Final tomorrow night Blarney v Douglas! Can hall add to the keane cup and get some more silverware from this spiralling season or will they be denied once again?

Blarney won on penos after 0-0 draw

Glenbuck
09/06/2011, 2:42 PM
Blarney won on penos after 0-0 draw A poor game to be fair, but well done to The Blarney boys for digging it out. Heard last nite that Halls manager has called it a day.

Gobias
09/06/2011, 5:00 PM
Heard last nite that Halls manager has called it a day.

He has, hall chairman quoted in the todays echo saying he has left. No loss to the league or Douglas Hall, better off without him

Pundit
09/06/2011, 5:16 PM
He has, hall chairman quoted in the todays echo saying he has left. No loss to the league or Douglas Hall, better off without him

Gobias i think if the hall did go and win the league you wouldnt be saying they were better off without him.. he has got the hall closer than any of there previous managers..Ye were raving bout him after the first 7 games.. So give him some credit,, Maybe its some of the hall players ye are better off without. Im by no means a fan of biscuits or his gobbie backroom staff but they done well to get them as close as he did

mayfield utd
09/06/2011, 11:27 PM
Gobias i think if the hall did go and win the league you wouldnt be saying they were better off without him.. he has got the hall closer than any of there previous managers..Ye were raving bout him after the first 7 games.. So give him some credit,, Maybe its some of the hall players ye are better off without. Im by no means a fan of biscuits or his gobbie backroom staff but they done well to get them as close as he did
,is there any way of checking last seasons league table cos i'm fairly sure douglas hall finished with more points last season than this season,it's just rockmount dropped more points.so if that's the case he didn't do a better job than previous managers.congats to rockmount on winning the league AGAIN

code red
10/06/2011, 11:01 AM
A poor game to be fair, but well done to The Blarney boys for digging it out. Heard last nite that Halls manager has called it a day.

Totally disagree with you Glenbuck.Was at this game and after a long season for both teams, this was a fantastic game. I know it ended 0 all but both teams went for it.Douglas came out of the traps very quickly and could have scored within 5 mins.Blarney played their way into the game and had the better chances throughout the game.Douglas had a good chance toward the end but a draw on any other day was a fair result.
P. Keane and R. O' leary had monster games for Blarney while D. O Connell & D. Moore were outstanding for the hall.
Good advert for Senior league football.

Gobias
10/06/2011, 12:39 PM
Gobias i think if the hall did go and win the league you wouldnt be saying they were better off without him,

They didnt win it so thats a stupid argument

he has got the hall closer than any of there previous managers,

I think he had the best Douglas team compared to other managers with alot of the players improving inparticular Strachen who had a great year and they also signed Varian from Everton adding to an already good squad. With the players he had he should have got them closer than other managers.

The league this year was also one of the weakest with the main challengers having problems.

Avondale:had management changes and players leaving leading to a bad start while also having the distraction of the Intermediate cup near the end of the year
Rockmount: Were going through a bit of a transition with it being billys last year while also having a squad that was older on their way out
Blarney: Going through a transition with new managment, new players and trying to bring some younger players through
Everton: Lost Varian to Hall, and without being disrespectful to them, they dont have the quality to challenge even though they were up there for a while

Gobias
10/06/2011, 1:12 PM
seriously is this a football forum or just a wind up shop,

gobias -so harrington hasd the strongest squad ever at the hall particularly cause a number of players greatly improved this year... eh would u not think the management played a key role in this or did players in their mid 20's suddenly overnight figure out how to play the game better....

I didnt say they greatly improved this year.
It didnt happen overnight it has been happening over a few years so you cant say its cause of Harrington. Infairness he might have had an influnece on it but you'd have to ask the players really to find that out or have seen him training them cause I havent.

Clifford
10/06/2011, 2:01 PM
Anyone at the AGM last night? Any action re fines or the rule that we all have to have female masseurs next season for a rub before and after hard games?

ringmahon4ever
10/06/2011, 9:11 PM
what kinda rub clifford because if theres better rubs been offered down in fermoy you will have a busy transfer window :)..what ya thinkin about next season.ucc and carrigaline joining us in league;.i think carrigaline will be the dark horses.have to be contenders

Glenbuck
11/06/2011, 8:22 AM
Totally disagree with you Glenbuck.Was at this game and after a long season for both teams, this was a fantastic game. I know it ended 0 all but both teams went for it.Douglas came out of the traps very quickly and could have scored within 5 mins.Blarney played their way into the game and had the better chances throughout the game.Douglas had a good chance toward the end but a draw on any other day was a fair result.
P. Keane and R. O' leary had monster games for Blarney while D. O Connell & D. Moore were outstanding for the hall.
Good advert for Senior league football.I give up. Of course both teams went for it. Its a cup final. Both teams had chances but some of the finishing was dreadful. Pat had a very good game as had Ken Coleman but I felt Ray went missing for long periods. Would have to agree with you about Deccie and Moorsey. Throw in the other Hall centre back O Callaghan as well. As I said a poor game to be fair.

ballsac7
11/06/2011, 5:31 PM
Blarney won oconell cup 9-8 on pens after 1-1 draw with mount. Keane injured after 20 min. O'connell & Howey awAy with Irish team. Beautiful day in crosser.

Glenbuck
11/06/2011, 9:21 PM
Blarney won oconell cup 9-8 on pens after 1-1 draw with mount. Keane injured after 20 min. O'connell & Howey awAy with Irish team. Beautiful day in crosser.That about sums it up. Must say the wisdom of playing this fixture on a pitch overlooking Cork harbour must be looked after. Taking nothing away from Blarney but I am sure the players would be the first to acknowledge that conditions were not great (for both teams). I have been at the last 6 or 7 O Connell Cup finals in Crosshaven and it is certainly not a venue for an end of season cup final. Today was about other things for Rockmount. Well done to Blarney.

Glenbuck
11/06/2011, 9:24 PM
Well lads the day has come. All I can say is "best of lucky Billy". I will reveal my identity to him during the week. I think he has an idea. Once again Billy many thanks kid.

ballsac7
12/06/2011, 9:37 AM
That about sums it up. Must say the wisdom of playing this fixture on a pitch overlooking Cork harbour must be looked after. Taking nothing away from Blarney but I am sure the players would be the first to acknowledge that conditions were not great (for both teams). I have been at the last 6 or 7 O Connell Cup finals in Crosshaven and it is certainly not a venue for an end of season cup final. Today was about other things for Rockmount. Well done to Blarney.

Turners Cross is probably where all finals should be played but the O'Connell Cup never draws a crowd so why not have it places like Crosshaven, Ringmahon or whereever - the pitch looked very good yesterday if a bit small but its railed off with top quality dugouts. Plenty of parking as well. The weather was nice if a bit breezy.

Pundit
12/06/2011, 6:39 PM
is there any way of checking last seasons league table cos i'm fairly sure douglas hall finished with more points last season than this season,it's just rockmount dropped more points.so if that's the case he didn't do a better job than previous managers.congats to rockmount on winning the league AGAIN

having more points means nothing mayfield.. they were still closer this year to winning the league because other team dropped points.. wat happens next season if ye go down and had more points than last season.. does that mean ye done a better job.. i doubt it.. anyways i hope thats not the case as i like mayfield...

douglas local
12/06/2011, 7:09 PM
i would say the fact they were in 2 cup fuinals, the last 8 of the intermediate cup and lost the league in a playoff would show he did a better job....so if mayfield get relegated next season but earn points than this does that mean yer manger did a better job than this???
the hall finished second last year with more points and also were in the three local finals
and the latter stages of the intermediate cup so maybe there was no difference between this year and last year, also this will be the fourth manager in four years does anyone know why this keeps on happening, are the players or committee to blame as much as the previous managers

Reznik
12/06/2011, 8:22 PM
Today was about other things for Rockmount. Well done to Blarney.

Surely your not justifying a cup final defeat. Granted it was a big day for Billy and the league title is in the bag but i imagine the post match cider didnt taste as sweet.

Bodie
12/06/2011, 9:49 PM
only passing through dont usually comment but glenbuck I have to disagree with your comment about being a poor game, some of the football played, admittedly only at stages, but particularly Douglas Hall in the first 20, and Blarney also had good spells. Think the hall playing one man up top on his own killed them, as it did with Blarney but think coleman supported Blue better than deccie varian or kev mul did the hall striker. could have gone either way but as a neutral happy to see blarney get hands on some silverware

mayfield utd
12/06/2011, 10:48 PM
any news on who's taken over douglas hall next season,they'll have a good squad if they can keep all the players.it will be good to see how rockmount go under alan martin,will he play 352 will he lose players to retirement or move on,will he bring in fresh blood or use players from the clubs juniors and youths and put his only stamp on the team,what will dale do,will they lose players to retirement or move on,i have to say giving john cotter the job was a good move,they looked in trouble when caulfield left,cotter turned them around.i think next season will be very hard to call at both ends again

six-yard-box
12/06/2011, 11:26 PM
hall job is surely kelvins if he wants it got a young family i think? so that might be a factor..rockmount losing kinger and darren to australia surely be a few retirements aswell but the rumours im hearing bout the players going there would balance that up. avondale will be same again..the two teams coming up will have to add to compete roll on next seaseon

razor
13/06/2011, 9:20 AM
Winners list for the 2010/2011 season

MSL Premier Champions : Rockmount
FAI Intermediate Cup Winners : Avondale United
Keane Cup Winners : Douglas Hall
O'Connell Cup Winners : Blarney United
Donie Forde Trophy Winners : St Marys
Beamish Cup Winners : Blarney United
MSL First Division Champions : College Corinthians
MSL Second Division Champions : Carrigaline United
Pop Keller Cup Winners : Ringmahon Rangers

ball-hop
13/06/2011, 4:21 PM
Player of the year, surely Ken Hoey - always looks a class act

Glenbuck
13/06/2011, 4:39 PM
I will go for Rockmount team of the year and Strachan (Ger O Donovan)as player of the season. I think he is a smashing team player.

Glenbuck
13/06/2011, 4:40 PM
any news on who's taken over douglas hall next season,they'll have a good squad if they can keep all the players.it will be good to see how rockmount go under alan martin,will he play 352 will he lose players to retirement or move on,will he bring in fresh blood or use players from the clubs juniors and youths and put his only stamp on the team,what will dale do,will they lose players to retirement or move on,i have to say giving john cotter the job was a good move,they looked in trouble when caulfield left,cotter turned them around.i think next season will be very hard to call at both ends againHeard Henderson and Cambridge are in the loop.

Sparky
13/06/2011, 9:55 PM
I heard Henderson has the Hall job if he wants it! Team of the year Avondale, player of the year? Hoey/Strachan or Mark Sullivan Take your pick.
Any rumours about the MSL transfers?

villaman10
13/06/2011, 10:38 PM
lads who is henderson?? sorry if im showing lack of knowledge

razor
13/06/2011, 10:54 PM
lads who is henderson?? sorry if im showing lack of knowledge
Sunbed Steve, he was the manager at Waterford up until a few weeks ago.
I think Martin and himself have discounted the idea.

villaman10
14/06/2011, 7:46 AM
Sunbed Steve, he was the manager at Waterford up until a few weeks ago.
I think Martin and himself have discounted the idea.

a now come on he didn't even enter my head!! what would he see in managing the hall?? they must have deep pockets up in moneygourney!! can any one really see that happening?? my money would still be on caulfield though!!

villaman10
14/06/2011, 7:54 AM
team of the year would be.... as much as it galls me to say rockmount!! the way they were written off all season, but they showed real grit to get back in it and must be applauded for that ( though they owe douglas a huge thanks for folding like a deck of cards on a windy day) player of the season.. tough one, strachen, hoey, hoggy for avondale is underrated too, but i have to go for the lad midleton signed from cobh (chubbs?? don't know his real name) , heard he got 15-20 goals this season and played a huge part in them staying up and the cup run!!

razor
14/06/2011, 10:17 AM
From the Avondale website ahead of the MSL awards night on Thursday.

Munster Senior League Annual Awards Night
The Munster Senior League Annual Awards Night will take place at The Kiln, Murphys Brewery, Leitrim St, on Thur June 16th from 7 to 9pm.

Avondale United will receive the following awards resulting from the success of the senior side during the past season.

MSL Senior Player of the year: Mark O'Sullivan

Special Merit Award for winning Intermediate Cup: Avondale United.

the hawk
14/06/2011, 12:33 PM
i can tell you now after speaking with one of the hall committee henderson and cambridge were never offered the job ,Kelvin Flanagan assistant manger wa offered the job and are awaiting a reply

Delighted for Mark sullivan after been robbed of a intermediate cup final appearance he is getting what he deserves
Also heard Avondale are stepping up there approach for plyers big time in the last week

six-yard-box
14/06/2011, 1:12 PM
I heard Henderson has the Hall job if he wants it! Team of the year Avondale, player of the year? Hoey/Strachan or Mark Sullivan Take your pick.
Any rumours about the MSL transfers?

Hoey would be my player of the year.. Rumours I heard on transfer front Gareth and scoops to rockmount and kenny Coleman back to Leeds strangest one I heard was buttsey to the hAll... Couldn't see that happening

Glenbuck
14/06/2011, 2:05 PM
team of the year would be.... as much as it galls me to say rockmount!! the way they were written off all season, but they showed real grit to get back in it and must be applauded for that ( though they owe douglas a huge thanks for folding like a deck of cards on a windy day) player of the season.. tough one, strachen, hoey, hoggy for avondale is underrated too, but i have to go for the lad midleton signed from cobh (chubbs?? don't know his real name) , heard he got 15-20 goals this season and played a huge part in them staying up and the cup run!!Why would it gall you Villaman. Build a bridge and get over it. Marky Sull player of year confirmed.

villaman10
14/06/2011, 6:22 PM
[QUOTE=Glenbuck;1497794]Why would it gall you Villaman. Build a bridge and get over it. Marky Sull player of year confirmed.[/QUOT

dont like their style of footie glenbuck, thats all bud!! christ you you are biased :-)

Fantasista
14/06/2011, 8:05 PM
Heard Willy Burn is leaving the mount to midleton due to the hassel of travelling also Ken Coleman going back to leeds would be hard to see happening but fair play to him if he decides it, heard avondale are close to signing midleton front man Chubbs after failing to sign him during the transfer window in january

Sparky
14/06/2011, 8:28 PM
Well done Mark O'Sullivan, class player and does it on the big occassion. CONGRATS again, nice fella. Some very interesting signings, two of them are old news with Chubbs (Ian Stapleton) to Avondale and Willie Byrne to Midleton. Bit too late for Midleton as Willie on his later years. Chubbs would be very interesting signing for the dale but its only all speculation. Alan Martin will have a few signings no doubt too. To be honest I love this time of the year with all the SPECULATION.

razor
14/06/2011, 10:21 PM
Why would it gall you Villaman. Build a bridge and get over it. Marky Sull player of year confirmed.

dont like their style of footie glenbuck, thats all bud!! christ you you are biased :-)Does Jesus follow Rockmount as well?

mayfield utd
14/06/2011, 11:47 PM
Hoey would be my player of the year.. Rumours I heard on transfer front Gareth and scoops to rockmount and kenny Coleman back to Leeds strangest one I heard was buttsey to the hAll... Couldn't see that happening

that funny cos i also heard about buttsy going to the hall,i was thinking the days of big clubs taken small clubs players were gone when caulfield and billy cronin left.

Goggs
15/06/2011, 6:49 AM
Its silly season punters heard Coleman is definitely going to Leeds heard Byrne and Gearoid O Leary and Clifford going to Midleton heard two or three UCC players going to Corinthians seems Rockmount and Blarney have a fight on their hands to keep their key players.

villaman10
15/06/2011, 8:18 AM
Does Jesus follow Rockmount as well?

glenbuck does seem to have connections!! wouldn't doubt it!!

the hawk
15/06/2011, 10:35 AM
I heard last night that Avondale have approached 2 or 3 douglas hall players and big players in saying that .Also how can the hall have approached buttzy when they dont even have a manager ,

Willie byrnes isnt leaving because of travel he is leaving because he had a falling out with billy over not playing after getting fit and since he is living in cloyne would be the sensible option to join Midelton .