PDA

View Full Version : Munster Senior League

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236

el nino coro
16/12/2010, 1:41 AM
Yes but Hall have beaten da mount twice this season and when you beat the best, You become the best! Therefore hall are now the team to beat! Early pace setters and League leaders! Come feb and march they will certainly be feeling the heat!

Ha come off the stage now,have any of these hall wins been in the league?...when was the last time douglas hall won something major? no1 knows anything about this hall team until their bottle is tested, i will leave it at that!

Goggs
16/12/2010, 6:52 AM
Ha come off the stage now,have any of these hall wins been in the league?...when was the last time douglas hall won something major? no1 knows anything about this hall team until their bottle is tested, i will leave it at that!
Ah el nino coro my little mexican friend you are to Hall as Ferguson is to Liverpool,your worlds will always be opposite.

ball-hop
16/12/2010, 8:45 AM
Going well at the moment, not sure about Cloud 9 as we've been in the position previously - both in the Intermediate Cup and the League and not many trophies are handed out before Christmas.
However, signs are positive, the team is playing well and we are in Blarney tonight for the league match. That is an important fixture - in a 10 team league a couple of bad results can cause havoc. Deccie and Podge will be available again after suspension to boost last Sunday's panel - onward and upwards.

Goggs
16/12/2010, 8:55 AM
Hey Ball hop why did Adsie go back to ye whats the story their.

Reznik
16/12/2010, 12:12 PM

Well nino i have already stated a few posts ago that i would also like to see how da hall would cope with a few bad results! You have to admit though if there was one team in the league you would not like to play now its da hall! If rockmount had won both those cup matches people would say they are the better team! Even though they were donie forde and senior cup those 2 wins cannot be ignored. Its a results game...

Reznik
16/12/2010, 12:18 PM
i have ta agree with skinny11 on de douglas hall debate. reznik your points are vaild about hall being de leaders but hall have nothing to lose and until they win something major ie de senior league or intermediate cup then i believe dey can be called de best!!

By implication so wes you believe da mount are still the best team in the league because there the champions? :confused:

el nino coro
16/12/2010, 1:01 PM
Ah el nino coro my little mexican friend you are to Hall as Ferguson is to Liverpool,your worlds will always be opposite.

Fair enough they are playing well and are obviously a good footballing side,but they have won nothing yet,im with most fellas on this forum and would like to see a new name on the MSL trophy but there is a long way to go

ball-hop
16/12/2010, 1:49 PM
Hey Ball hop why did Adsie go back to ye whats the story their.
Statement of intent!!
Signing a top class 'keeper both gives cover and keeps pressure on and pressure within a panel always brings the best out of players.

Goggs
16/12/2010, 2:05 PM
It just doesnt seem to make sense i heard he lost his place with Midleton due to a few howlers and then decides to go to the best defensive team at present to sit on the bench their why didnt he stay and fight for his place, I was told that the Douglas junior keeper is also top notch,you might shed some light on this one why didnt he sign with Avondale who are crying out for a keeper.I'm completely baffaled by this one.

wesleyBHFC
16/12/2010, 4:11 PM
By implication so wes you believe da mount are still the best team in the league because there the champions? :confused:

i never sed rockmount were de best team in de league!! my point is dat doughal have ta win something major to becxome de best. rockmount and avondale have proven it over the last number of years with douglas hall on de fringes!! maybe this is there year to win major trophys?? let just wait and see REZNIK

ball-hop
16/12/2010, 4:56 PM
It just doesnt seem to make sense i heard he lost his place with Midleton due to a few howlers and then decides to go to the best defensive team at present to sit on the bench their why didnt he stay and fight for his place, I was told that the Douglas junior keeper is also top notch,you might shed some light on this one why didnt he sign with Avondale who are crying out for a keeper.I'm completely baffaled by this one.
Played with us from Under 14 and graduated onto the Seniors. He is not just moving club, he is returning to the club where he played for a number of years.
He was always popular within the club and as far as I know maintained contact with a number of the players.
Form is temporary and I'm sure he'll challenge strongly for the number 1 jersey on the senior team.
I still think Adsie is a really good signing and will prove his worth before the season is out.

Goggs
16/12/2010, 7:33 PM
I'm not disputing his talent and know he has connections their I saw him play last season and thought he was good but don't understand why he left Midleton after spending a few seasons their and living in that area to go to the Hall and sit on the bench was their a bust up or was it a case of your management recruiting a number 2 and if so what about your junior keeper is he rated by the senior management and if so could it be a scenario that he mighten get any game time this season and where would the player be left then.

Sparky
16/12/2010, 8:26 PM
Have to laugh at all the posts in last 24 hours lads. Very little talk of Avondale or Rockmout challenging. We are in December, games will come thick and fast in January. Whoever balances the high on Intermediate Cup games and then coming down to league games will win the League. I predict, 1st Mount, 2nd Hall 3rd Avondale with Avondale going furthest in the Cup!!! Only guess work really. Douglas Hall are very good side, nice to watch and will be interesting to see if they have bottle to match. Not writing them off either as I have seen them play and they are well equiped. Time will tell and also tonights result will tell a lot too.

ball-hop
16/12/2010, 8:58 PM
Douglas Hall 3 Blarney Utd 1
Blarney led 1-0, but Strachan's hat-trick was the difference.
Big 3 points for the 'Hall.

Sparky
16/12/2010, 9:04 PM
Massive 3 points, well done.

Long Throw
16/12/2010, 10:04 PM
As per MSL website
Rockmount 3-3 UCC,
College finding it difficult to score all season and hard to remember Rockmount conceding 3 at home in any league game in the recent past. sounds like an interesting game

razor
17/12/2010, 9:16 AM
Ive been to hell and back during my explosion.

Mrs Goggs found me sitting alone in my room wearing my 1998 MSL kit just stroking a footballBrilliant stuff Goggs but did you have to go into detail :D

i never sed rockmount were de best team in de league!! my point is dat doughal have ta win something major to becxome de best. rockmount and avondale have proven it over the last number of years with douglas hall on de fringes!! maybe this is there year to win major trophys?? let just wait and see REZNIKGo easy on the text stuff Wes, keep on typing

code red
17/12/2010, 10:36 AM
Was at the Blarney/Douglas game.Blarney went one up and even though Douglas had plenty of the ball, they didn't look dangerous.Bad defending for goals 1 & 2 and keeper should have stopped the 3rd but Douglas played qulaity football.Blarney had a few big players carrying injuries but cannot complain about result really. Douglas will take a bit of beating if they can keep their bottle.They may need to talk to a couple of their players though about chatting back to the ref's.Could well land them in trouble before long

j-burt
17/12/2010, 11:39 AM
I went to the rockmount/ucc game. 3 all...Highly entertaining! rockmount are a very depleted team, a shell of the last few years defensively. As usual though they managed to take their chances from set pieces and cause ucc serious problems from dead ball situations. It was trademark rockmount attacking wise, long ball, get your position and play off that then. I thought the college were very impressive, very comfortable at the back on the ball and pacey on the wings. Should have won this game in my opinion on overall play and chances created from play, they missed two great one v ones, fairplay to brendan o connell in goals with rockmount. Howey, Monty, Darren o Riordan went off injured, the latter earlier in the game which was a big loss to the already below par midfield. Rockmount got a penalty at 2 all but dave welsh who just came on sub missed. Robbie waters was sent off for ucc then, he was having a fine game besides being at fault for the penalty. Just too much to report on in this game, strange for a msl game on a cold night in rockmount park, usually not the more popular of places for flowing football due to rockmounts style. Good point for ucc despite having claimed all three. Bottom line is its a very hard place to go and get three. From what i seen anyway, it could be crumlin vs pheonix in the intermediate after sunday, cant see rockmount pulling that one outta the bag.

Goggs
17/12/2010, 6:58 PM
Hey j-burt ive read a few of your posts very informative but why so down on Rockmount all the time

skinny11
18/12/2010, 8:44 PM
douglas hall against casement in the munster senior cup called off due to bad weather

wesleyBHFC
18/12/2010, 8:46 PM
is it true john caulfield has left ucc?? back to avondale.???word on the street!!!

Reznik
19/12/2010, 2:04 PM
is it true john caulfield has left ucc?? back to avondale.???word on the street!!!

''Unsubstantiated Allegation''.... Haha! That sounds interesting though! Dont tell me he is sick of the book worms allready

ringmahon4ever
19/12/2010, 4:45 PM
a comment like that carries suspension ha ha.be careful with what you say :)

Sparky
19/12/2010, 5:58 PM
Perhaps Avondale Nutter can comment on this?

Goggs
19/12/2010, 7:42 PM

If this is true ive lost all respect for John Caulfield.He was so suppose to be a top manager but to be a top manager you have to get the best out of your players even if their mediocre players and especially if a few results go against you. You cant just head off like that.Everyone would view Billy Croinin a top manager but hes left with a pretty average team and can't seem to do anything with them.You take Everton,Mayfield two average teams but doing well without any elite players that for me is management getting your absolute out of the teams.So go John go back to your superstars I won't applaud you if you win silverware because it will be worthless.

AvondaleNutter
19/12/2010, 9:15 PM
Perhaps Avondale Nutter can comment on this?

As much as i'd like this to be true, i don't think there's any truth in it. If i hear differently, ill let the forum know.

j-burt
20/12/2010, 11:20 AM
Hey j-burt ive read a few of your posts very informative but why so down on Rockmount all the time
Goggs, im just stating the facts on rockmount. For years they've been a big club who poach a lot of players, like avondale and a few more. They've had success for it, yes and i respect Billy Cronin for what he's done, he actually doesn't get enough praise as a manager for employing a winning system to a group of players who may not be as good technically as those from douglas hall for example. The fact is their day is done, and dont we all love a good ol fall of the bigger teams to make the league more exciting. I'm an Avondale man and i may sound hipocritical when i speak of rockmount in certain ways but the truth is avondale are a club that are doused in history and part of that history is respecting the opposition and having a good standard of sportmanship. i've always had a bit of contempt for the way rockmount apply themselves, both in their style of play and their abuse of the referees. Now, avondale, castleview, marys and the hall (especially this year) are all culprits in mouthing to referees, but, how can i word this...they do it in a more respectable or even a less aggressive manner.

i hope this explains some of my comments, i'm very opinionated on football and thats what this site is for, like yourself i would say, you seem to have good knowledge of the msl goings on and are obviously opinionated on it.

as for john caulfield going back to avondale...without quashing the possibility, i really would doubt that rumour very much!

Goggs
20/12/2010, 4:49 PM
I was intrigued and engrossed by your reply j-burt right up untill you mentionened Avondale. Then something inside of me eruptted and screamed Hypocrite.How can somebody from Avondale accuse anybody of using untoward behaviour. A club who raped and pillaged clubs for their top players for years and was guided by a manager who was the King of cuteness on the sideline.If ye were winning and the opposition wanted to take a quick throw then suddenly the balls went missing or if ye wanted to break up the game your players would drop like flies to receive attention.In fact I think this new rule when a player gets injured he now has to go off was brought in for Avondale,so please don't patronize your fellow forum colleagues with your tales of woe.I belive the pot and kettle may come into play.

AvondaleNutter
21/12/2010, 12:29 PM
I was intrigued and engrossed by your reply j-burt right up untill you mentionened Avondale. Then something inside of me eruptted and screamed Hypocrite.How can somebody from Avondale accuse anybody of using untoward behaviour. A club who raped and pillaged clubs for their top players for years and was guided by a manager who was the King of cuteness on the sideline.If ye were winning and the opposition wanted to take a quick throw then suddenly the balls went missing or if ye wanted to break up the game your players would drop like flies to receive attention.In fact I think this new rule when a player gets injured he now has to go off was brought in for Avondale,so please don't patronize your fellow forum colleagues with your tales of woe.I belive the pot and kettle may come into play.

Wouldn't argue with ya here goggs. Would much perfer to see the club with all home grown players but unfortunetly due to other sporting commitments, location of the senior pitch and i presume other factors, its very difficult for Avondale to push through their youth players. Think most teams are guilty of hiding footballs and dropping like flies, so i'd take this with a pinch of salt. Avondale took the decision to attract players from other clubs and it has paid off, for how long, no one really knows. But id rather Avondale in the position they are now than struggling in the first or even second division.

Sparky
21/12/2010, 12:42 PM
All clubs pull nacks even at Premiership level so I don't have a problem with a team slowing up a game if winning because it is the opposing team's fault for letting them score in the first place. We would all pull a fast one if it meant 3 points. I think the players are as guilty as clubs for moving. Whether it be a personality clash with management or for whatever reason, players move when they want because they can. Perhaps the MSL should implement a rule that you have to join a club for no less than two years or something like the GAA have where you have to play locally unless you move parish. I know there is many pitfalls for both suggestions but perhaps a new fresh way of thinking is what is needed. Saying all that, I just love the game at local level!!!

j-burt
21/12/2010, 1:45 PM

I wasn't referring to 'cuteness' when i was explaining Rockmounts behaviour. I did acknowledge in my last post that I may be coming across as a bit of a hypocrite. I accept the fact that Avondale took on players from other areas, but there's a difference here that some people dont see.... In Avondales case, the player is asked to come down and train and see what he thinks and is then told if he's good enough he'll play....Rockmount on the other hand promise their players the world and then leave them on the bench when the transfer deadline is done (let me know if you need examples). Also there's a difference between cuteness and being abusive to the opposition. As Avondale nutter says, i think it would be great for Avondale to have homegrown players and hopefully that will happen in a few years, the youngsters coming through have potential for future years and maybe they'll be able to get grounds closer to home. I think Avondale were on the verge of becoming a lesser team at the beginning of this year and if you had home grown players you wouldnt have that issue. That is a job though for the Avondale chairman/committee to put a clear plan in place to get the club back to where they came from and achieve success without having to search far and wide for players. Realistically that is many years away though so i guess as a club we'll just have to be criticised for trying to be successful by bringing in players for the time being.

Finally i would like to state that the players brought in, play in the avondale way and play for the club in a respectable way. you can never acuse an avondale player of not working hard or not having a good mentality towards the game and winning.

Goggs, If i have offended you, I do apologise, its just my opinion. I would never wish for something inside of you to have "erupted" and you to end up "screaming" really :)

ball-hop
21/12/2010, 4:26 PM
Now, avondale, castleview, marys and the hall (especially this year) are all culprits in mouthing to referees, but, how can i word this...they do it in a more respectable or even a less aggressive manner.

Not sure that we are any worse this season - we've collected a share of yellow cards and some reds in recent years for discussing matters with referees.
However, I wouldn't like to be a player from any club to visit the disciplinary committee for a red for over zealous discussion with a referee.

Goggs
21/12/2010, 7:08 PM
Good response j-burt differentiated the topics beautifully I think their could be a politician in their somewhere.

j-burt
21/12/2010, 9:51 PM
Not sure that we are any worse this season - we've collected a share of yellow cards and some reds in recent years for discussing matters with referees.
However, I wouldn't like to be a player from any club to visit the disciplinary committee for a red for over zealous discussion with a referee.

I think they just have a bit more clout than in previous years due to the managment staff....John Caulfield, Billy Cronin and Phil Harrington now all carry the same pull when it comes to decisions from the refs... before the hall were at a disadvantage...thats why its the halls league to lose now, they're playing the best football in the league (they always have) difference now is that they have a bit of bite, fitness and a confidence they can beat the bigger teams...this evaded them in recent years.

j-burt
21/12/2010, 9:52 PM
Good response j-burt differentiated the topics beautifully I think their could be a politician in their somewhere.

Not a Fianna Fail one I hope!

ball-hop
22/12/2010, 2:18 PM
..thats why its the halls league to lose now...
Easy now!!! Only 6 matches played out of 18 and as we've seen in previous years, it is a very competitive league.
Absolutely true that we could well be out of the league at this stage, and, I agree, we are in a good place at the moment, but to talk about a league to lose - I think that's a bit premature. The real pressure will come on in March and April which is when we'll see the real mettle of all teams. If this current weather continues into January, the backlog of fixtures will build and teams will be facing long fixture lists during the spring. Panel depth is very likely to be significant - injuries, suspensions, players working and so on are sure to have an impact.
I would still be hoping that we can keep it going, grinding out results where and when necessary, as well as imposing ourselves on the opposition.

Nedge
22/12/2010, 7:24 PM
I have just recently returned to Cork and i am shocked to see Blarney in the league position that they are currently in. Can anybody shed light on the poor start to the season. I watched them at the end of last season and they had a great blend of youth and experience and seemed destined for great things.

Billynomates
22/12/2010, 9:18 PM
Easy now!!! Only 6 matches played out of 18 and as we've seen in previous years, it is a very competitive league.
Absolutely true that we could well be out of the league at this stage, and, I agree, we are in a good place at the moment, but to talk about a league to lose - I think that's a bit premature. The real pressure will come on in March and April which is when we'll see the real mettle of all teams. If this current weather continues into January, the backlog of fixtures will build and teams will be facing long fixture lists during the spring. Panel depth is very likely to be significant - injuries, suspensions, players working and so on are sure to have an impact.
I would still be hoping that we can keep it going, grinding out results where and when necessary, as well as imposing ourselves on the opposition.

I personally think it is very early to saying that hall have the league more or less won already. Was it 2 years ago Rockmount were crusing at christmas and went the season unbeaten only for Avondale to go on a great run of winning games and pip rockmount on the last game of the season with a draw? I do think Hall will win the league and I also hope they will. A nice bunch of lads, but the league is not won till may. Blarney have gone backwards this year but they will be alright. People are really doom and gloom about them. Dont see them being in trouble come May. Avondale and Rockmount are short a few players but who knows who they might sign in the transfer window that might give them a much needed lift and they could be challenging again. Relegation i think it will be between mayfield, UCC and Marys with Tramore a cert to go down.

Sparky
22/12/2010, 9:57 PM
I personally think it is very early to saying that hall have the league more or less won already. Was it 2 years ago Rockmount were crusing at christmas and went the season unbeaten only for Avondale to go on a great run of winning games and pip rockmount on the last game of the season with a draw? I do think Hall will win the league and I also hope they will. A nice bunch of lads, but the league is not won till may. Blarney have gone backwards this year but they will be alright. People are really doom and gloom about them. Dont see them being in trouble come May. Avondale and Rockmount are short a few players but who knows who they might sign in the transfer window that might give them a much needed lift and they could be challenging again. Relegation i think it will be between mayfield, UCC and Marys with Tramore a cert to go down.

I think it will be Tramore and Mary's. I think Mary's Intermediate cup involvement will put them down. Like the top it is early days so we will see.

wesleyBHFC
23/12/2010, 3:05 AM
i think everton are playin great footbal this year and are contentors to maintain a title challenge!! dont right them off!! good young players and alot of experience! will certainly give the bigger teams a run for their money! already won 2-0 in rockmount park! :)

Goggs
23/12/2010, 8:51 PM
i think everton are playin great footbal this year and are contentors to maintain a title challenge!! dont right them off!! good young players and alot of experience! will certainly give the bigger teams a run for their money! already won 2-0 in rockmount park! :)
Sorry Wesley had to check and recheck your post do you have Everton and great football in the same sentence or are you just rising a few of us for xmas.

ball-hop
24/12/2010, 7:42 PM
Merry Christmas to everyone who participates in this thread......
Here's to more healthy discussion during 2011!!

Nedge
28/12/2010, 2:17 PM
I would certainly agree that Everton(at times) can play attractive football, however they will simply never lose the tag of long ball merchaints. Lets be honest, every team in the league is guilty of this and its simply a part of the game. I believe Everton will be very strong in the remainder of the season and cannot see why they couldnt challange for the League this year.

Goggs
30/12/2010, 11:03 AM
I would certainly agree that Everton(at times) can play attractive football, however they will simply never lose the tag of long ball merchaints. Lets be honest, every team in the league is guilty of this and its simply a part of the game. I believe Everton will be very strong in the remainder of the season and cannot see why they couldnt challange for the League this year.
Welcome to the forum Nedge. Everton have never played attractive football in their lives they are Rockmounts evil twin, a clone.They won't challange for the league as their management team wont vary their play as the long ball is all they know and to be fair their quiet good at it.But when they come up against teams who are as phyisical they dont have a plan B.Example losing points to Tramore and Midleton.

Clifford
30/12/2010, 1:58 PM
Hi lads, back to work today after a good break. Hope all had a good Chrimbo and will have a super New Year.

We went to Midleton last night for a friendly, very enjoyable game and good test against a Prem club. We won 2-1, but result didn't matter as such, both sides knocked it about well on a good surface.

Any other clubs getting bored of not playing/training? We're trying to sort another match for the weekend as well.

Good div 1 article on the Echo last night, ran through all the teams results/form so far. Quotes from all the contenders, never came to the country bumpkins from North Cork for a quote so that's us finishing 6th I assume. Suppose we don't have the fancy phone systems down here that they have in the big city eh.....:rolleyes:

ringmahon4ever
30/12/2010, 3:46 PM
Hi lads, back to work today after a good break. Hope all had a good Chrimbo and will have a super New Year.

We went to Midleton last night for a friendly, very enjoyable game and good test against a Prem club. We won 2-1, but result didn't matter as such, both sides knocked it about well on a good surface.

Any other clubs getting bored of not playing/training? We're trying to sort another match for the weekend as well.

Good div 1 article on the Echo last night, ran through all the teams results/form so far. Quotes from all the contenders, never came to the country bumpkins from North Cork for a quote so that's us finishing 6th I assume. Suppose we don't have the fancy phone systems down here that they have in the big city eh.....:rolleyes:
only all paper talk clifford.ye should try some smoke signals.it worked for the indians ha ha :)

Goggs
30/12/2010, 5:09 PM
That's the way to have it Clifford stay out of the limelight.Friendly or no friendly that's a good win.

Clifford
30/12/2010, 6:07 PM
Yeah, I'm only joshing about the article. Great to see a couple of pages on the division. Might get a few more out watching games and the like.

Delighted indeed Goggs with the win, keeps a good momentum going.

Goggs
30/12/2010, 8:04 PM
What's the change did you change your formation or what very few teams win in Knockgriffin.