PDA

View Full Version : Everyone congrtaulate the bottle-thrower - more bad publicity

Éanna
28/04/2005, 6:14 PM
eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=17105)

Connor urges Cork to take action

April 28, 2005

Drogheda United goalkeeper Dan Connor, who needed four stitches after being hit with a bottle at Turner’s Cross last weekend ,believes Cork City must do something to avoid a similar situation arising.

Connor was struck on the back of the leg during the 1-0 win over City and although the former Waterford United goalkeeper was delighted with the win, the incident over shadowed the impressive result.

The Drogs ‘keeper did stress that it was only a small minority involved in the incident. Connor acknowledges the fact that Cork have great supporters, but he admitted that something should be done.

“I was at the Shed End retrieving the ball after it had gone out and a broken vodka bottle came from behind me and stuck in my leg,” said Connor. “It was pumping blood and I had to get treatment.

“I probably won’t create a massive fuss about it. Cork do have great supporters and I think this was the first time something like this happened there, and their chairman Brian Lennox and security chief did apologise to me afterwards. But I would like something done because it could have been much worse if the bottle had hit me in the face.”

Connor is expected to be fit for Friday night’s clash with Bohemians at United Park

Éanna
28/04/2005, 6:15 PM
“I probably won’t create a massive fuss about it. "
Very kind of him, considering his idiocy played a massive part in tensions getting so high :rolleyes:

Partizan
28/04/2005, 7:15 PM
What are you talking about Eanna? A keeper winds up the crowd, you all blow a fuse...a bottle get thrown which could have caused serious injury and you blamme Dan for the getting the bottle thrown at him in the first place.

What kind of a stupid argument is that. fact is the bottle shouldnt have been thrown in the first place. Now how about some action be taken by City to root out these potential troble makers and the FAI fining you lot.

Besides, in the Munster Derby a couple of years ago ye boys destroyed two windows in the stand at the RSC after Dan winded ye up when he sat on the ball. I suppose you blame him for that too. :rolleyes: as well last years when numerous flares were thrown onto the pitch in violation of FAI & WUFC regulations. Several barriers behind the goal were deliberatley pushed over.

Simple your club has a scum element following it, I suggest you lot clean it up or if not sanctions will be heading down to the X.

patsh
28/04/2005, 8:02 PM
Blaa....blaa...blaa
Shouldn't you be off with the other morons on the Waterford mb telling each other to f*ck off and generally acting the maggot....:rolleyes:

Éanna
28/04/2005, 8:16 PM
What are you talking about Eanna? A keeper winds up the crowd, you all blow a fuse...a bottle get thrown which could have caused serious injury and you blamme Dan for the getting the bottle thrown at him in the first place.

Absolutely typical. I have posted countless times on here condemning what happened, and not a peep out of you :rolleyes: I didn't "blamme" Connor for what happened, I said his idiocy played a part in the tension. If you can read, you should be able to tell the difference

fact is the bottle shouldnt have been thrown in the first place. Now how about some action be taken by City to root out these potential troble makers and the FAI fining you lot.
And you've obviously missed the numerous times where I've said exactly that? Of course it shouldn't have happened and of course they should be rooted out.

Besides, in the Munster Derby a couple of years ago ye boys destroyed two windows in the stand at the RSC after Dan winded ye up when he sat on the ball. I suppose you blame him for that too. :rolleyes: as well last years when numerous flares were thrown onto the pitch in violation of FAI & WUFC regulations. Several barriers behind the goal were deliberatley pushed over.
ah yes, imagination in over-drive again :rolleyes: How come I didn't see those windows being broken despite the fact that I was standing two seats away from them for the duration of the game? I'm aware of what happened with the smoke bombs (not flares) that were thrown, I presume you are aware of the WUFC fans throwing the same devices onto the pitch at turners cross two years ago? The barriers (how many times does this need repeating :rolleyes: ) were not deliberatley pushed over- we scored, people surged forward, the barriers went over. Any idiot could see that

Simple your club has a scum element following it, I suggest you lot clean it up or if not sanctions will be heading down to the X.
There is a scum element at Turners Cross, and at every football ground in this country. I want rid of them just as much as you or anyone else.

dahamsta
28/04/2005, 10:28 PM
Very kind of him, considering his idiocy played a massive part in tensions getting so high :rolleyes:Out of curiousity, what exactly did Connor do to wind up the crowd? And, if you'll pardon my partially agreeing with Partizan - I'm as amazed as you are - does winding up a crowd ever, ever ever ever, justify a bottle being thrown at a player? (I'm not saying you're justifying it, I'm saying why are you even bringing it up? Isn't it distracting from an incredibly more important issue.)

Remember that hooligans discussion we were having? That person that threw the bottle, he or she is a hooligan.

EDIT: Out of curiousity again, I find it difficult to believe that no-one saw the bottle being thrown, so I presume they were reported immediately and arrested?

adam

SÓC
28/04/2005, 11:17 PM
Ahh Partiboi strikes again with his usual nonsense. No barrier was intentionally kicked over, people were celebrating that City had taken a 4-1 lead and Waterford United's hired thug had been sent off. There was even TV footage that proved that. No windows were smashed by City fans.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good Blaaa rant, you seem to be at a loss now that you cant use Fatrick, Fatpack etc in your posts

Colm
29/04/2005, 2:24 AM

You have been spreading those lies now for almost two years. :rolleyes:

Scum element?? You're having a laugh. It's called a large and diverse support base.... something which Waterford will never have.

Let's face it Partizan, you are jealous of the Rebel Army and will spread lies to bring our good name into disrepute. However, that doesn't bother us because you must remember "you will never have what we have"!

razor
29/04/2005, 7:36 AM
Out of curiousity, what exactly did Connor do to wind up the crowd? to be quite honest I don't think Connor did a whole lot to wind up the crowd apart from time wasting, which any keeper, even Digger , would partake in if his 10 man side were 1up in the last minutes.
I think the major catalyst for the throwing of objects was the disallowing of the goal and the fact tha Connor happened to be the nearest and absolutely hated by everyone meant he was the target.
Nothing justifies this sort of behaviour and the stewards reluctance to get involved p*ssed people off even more.

Cityfeen
29/04/2005, 8:19 AM
EDIT: Out of curiousity again, I find it difficult to believe that no-one saw the bottle being thrown, so I presume they were reported immediately and arrested?

Yes they were reported within seconds by the the real fans in the shed.Almost every one of them.and he was also arrested.

GavinZac
29/04/2005, 10:18 AM
Yes they were reported within seconds by the the real fans in the shed.Almost every one of them.and he was also arrested.

the person that was led away wasnt infact the person who threw the bottle but rather someone who wouldnt move to let the garda through. when he was led away, the shed naturally assumed it was he who threw the bottle and screamed abuse at him.

can we not treat this like something i'm saying? here, i'll even put it in quotes for you.

ConfusedBlue
29/04/2005, 12:41 PM
I'm aware of what happened with the smoke bombs (not flares) that were thrown, I presume you are aware of the WUFC fans throwing the same devices onto the pitch at turners cross two years ago?
Difference is though Eanna,that the smoke bombs in Turners Cross were thrown on the pitch when the teams were coming out,before the game got underway.They were thrown on an area of the pitch where there was no players near them.
The incident in the RSC occurred during the course of the game and were directed at Dan Connor(thrown into the goalmouth area in which he was standing)!!!

Waterford United's hired thug had been sent off. There was even TV footage that proved that.
That proved what??If you watch the TV footage back you'll see the wrong person was sent off,Reynolds tackle was legitimate(for once),it was actually the 2nd challenge that went in (think it was Mulcahy or Fitzgerald) that was actually the one that caused the offence!!

Besides, in the Munster Derby a couple of years ago ye boys destroyed two windows in the stand at the RSC after Dan winded ye up when he sat on the ball.
As for this incident,there wasn't 2 windows destroyed it was 1 and I don't know whether it was the Cork boys or not but the window was there at the start of the game,it wasn't there the following week.make up your own minds on that!!!

pete
29/04/2005, 1:23 PM
It was 1 PERSON who threw the bottle at Connor. By my calculations thats a little bit less than a minority. I expect City will introduce searches on epople enteringt he ground in future so bottles not nrought in. The guards arrested the person in questions even if it may not be the correct one.

What more can CCFC do???

Every city fan on here has condemned the incident, no one said Connor deserved it. We are still entitled to suggest he encouraged it by past behaviours.

The shed chants at all visiting keepers - 1 Robers keeper (O'Dowd?) came into the shed to retrieve the ball at halftime & created legendary status for himself immeadiately.

GavinZac
29/04/2005, 1:28 PM
The shed chants at all visiting keepers - 1 Robers keeper (O'Dowd?) came into the shed to retrieve the ball at halftime & created legendary status for himself immeadiately.

alan gough, he was sub keeper to o'dowd. came in to get the ball, ended up jumping around with us.

yan
29/04/2005, 5:14 PM
jumping around while singing **** the dubs!!!

thecorner
29/04/2005, 5:48 PM
how do you congrtaulate somebody :confused: ;) :D

Counting Crow
30/04/2005, 11:38 AM

What kind of a stupid argument is that. fact is the bottle shouldnt have been thrown in the first place. Now how about some action be taken by City to root out these potential troble makers and the FAI fining you lot.

I want to stress here that I do NOT condone what happened last Friday night.......stuff like this has no place in football.......

.....but Partizan, you make me laugh with your blinded non sensical comments above.

#1 Dan Connor provoked the City fans at the Cross a while back like no other player I have seen since going to the old venue. He actually sprayed fans in the D Forde Stand with water as he was going down the tunnel at the end of the game.
#2 On several occasions ye have thrown flares and smoke bombs on our pitch at the start of the games - glass houses - stones :rolleyes:
#3 As for the barriers at the RSC........SPARE ME FOR FCUK SAKE. I was at that game and what actually happened was after our 4th goal, some fans moved forward (as happens after EVERY goal in every part of the world). Unfortunately, the RSC is such a pathetic excuse for a football ground (bar the Mian Stand) that the barriers couldn't cope with the surge and people fell over on top of one another. How the hell did you get a license in the first place.

Before you start talking about us getting fined go take a look atyour own safety situation ........ particularly as the first of your two games with big attendance is only weeks away now.

Once again, what happened last week has no place at The Cross......but hypocrites like Connor should look athe part they play before mouthing off.

pete
30/04/2005, 11:44 AM
The "barriers" they have at the Waterford Athletes track are those ones used by the gardai i.e. not secure & not suitable for a football ground.

:rolleyes:

Counting Crow
30/04/2005, 11:46 AM
The "barriers" they have at the Waterford Athletes track are those ones used by the gardai i.e. not secure & not suitable for a football ground.

:rolleyes:

They also use them for the Corpus Christi procession :rolleyes: and by the corporation when there is work being done on a mains leak ..... FFS :rolleyes:

thecorner
30/04/2005, 12:01 PM
#3 As for the barriers at the RSC........

i was there :mad:.. i was just getting over my fear of barriers...thanks a lot CC for the setback :mad:

Sheridan
30/04/2005, 12:22 PM
IrishFootballOnline (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=2740) claims Devine was struck by a bottle last night.

patsh
30/04/2005, 1:03 PM
IrishFootballOnline (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=2740) claims Devine was struck by a bottle last night.
Looked like a plastic bottle from where we were. He made no big deal of it, just showed it to the ref and got on with it.
In fairness to the Rovers supporters behind there, I don't think there was any malice involved. They must have been giving him loads anyway, but thankfully Mickey is a grown-up and can take a slagging and banter.

Éanna
30/04/2005, 1:15 PM
Out of curiousity, what exactly did Connor do to wind up the crowd?
waving your hand in a "w*nker" motion behind your back at several hundred people would be considered incitement in most cases. Not to mention what he's done in the past- the ill-feeling was there, he made it worse.

And, if you'll pardon my partially agreeing with Partizan - I'm as amazed as you are - does winding up a crowd ever, ever ever ever, justify a bottle being thrown at a player?
No, its never justified, of course not.

(I'm not saying you're justifying it, I'm saying why are you even bringing it up? Isn't it distracting from an incredibly more important issue.
Because if you look at the media coverage on it, it makes it sound like Connor is an angel who has never upset anybody, when his behaviour was a massive factor in tensions being so high. I'm perfectly accepting of the fact that CCFC need to take responsibility for their failings (i.e. security), but Connor should take responsibility for his actions too.

Remember that hooligans discussion we were having? That person that threw the bottle, he or she is a hooligan.
Not in my book. A scumbag, a gurrier, a delinquent, but not a hooligan.

I saw the bottle out of the corner of my eye, as I was in front and to the right of where it came from, so I couldn't be 100% sure exactly which person did it. The people immediately around the perpetrator were his buddies, and therefore won't dump him in it- hence the problem in getting him charged. the guy was right at the back wall of the Shed, and since most people were looking forward at the game- most would have seen where it came from, but not who did it.

thecorner
30/04/2005, 1:27 PM
Looked like a plastic bottle from where we were. .

just like last week, it doesnt matter wether it was glass or plastic, hit him or not him....the fact of the matter is that it was thrown onto the field of play and aimed at a player

patsh
30/04/2005, 3:36 PM
just like last week, it doesnt matter wether it was glass or plastic, hit him or not him....the fact of the matter is that it was thrown onto the field of play and aimed at a player
I realise that, my point was more that Mickey has a bit of cop on and defused the situation straight away. He was playing directly in front of the Bohs "shed", where a lot of very vocal Rovers fans were. He picked up the bottle, showed it to the ref, made no big deal of it. If he had done a Connor on it and gone down like he was dead, or turned around and started making wa*nker gestures or shouting abuse back, it would have got a lot worse.
Instead he down-played it, did nothing to increase tensions and acted like a grown-up, not some whinging little child.
Nothing excuses bottle throwing, no matter by whom, but there are ways of not making the situation worse.

Counting Crow
01/05/2005, 8:02 AM
i was there :mad:.. i was just getting over my fear of barriers...thanks a lot CC for the setback :mad:

Corner - you better stay away from the Corpus Christi procession this year so :D ;)

Troy.McClure
01/05/2005, 3:41 PM

Incaseit makes a difference, the bottle missed him

Fair_play_boy
01/05/2005, 6:06 PM
eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=17105) Drogheda United goalkeeper Dan Connor . . . needed four stitches after being hit with a bottle at Turner’s Cross last weekend . . . Connor was struck on the back of the leg . . . Did anybody else notice that the plaster was put on the front of his leg, above the knee. Was there more than one injury?

Shedender
01/05/2005, 8:51 PM
I saw the bottle out of the corner of my eye, as I was in front and to the right of where it came from, so I couldn't be 100% sure exactly which person did it. The people immediately around the perpetrator were his buddies, and therefore won't dump him in it- hence the problem in getting him charged. the guy was right at the back wall of the Shed, and since most people were looking forward at the game- most would have seen where it came from, but not who did it.

i was thinking the same thing ,nobody can pinpoint him since we were all watching the game, if he were in front somebody would have spotted him. that's the porblem,we have to get these little ****s out of the shed or at least to the front of the shed where we can keep an eye on them.
Can we do anything about it?, take over the back of the shed before the next game and tell them to **** off!, ffs they're never watching the game anyway