PDA

View Full Version : Leesons Appointment rant

Jacobean
28/04/2005, 11:27 AM
They say bad punlicity is good publicty. It is sad to see United have stooped this low by appointing such a character to the club. It is I believe, because United are unable to make the headlines any other way (I.E PROMOTION)they have to go and appoint an ex convict to the biggest position in the club. Sure its fantasic that Galway are in the global limelight but its a pathetic reflection on the club to take this root to piblicity.Taken his reputation aside for one minute, the club should be appoint local men/ women, those who have followed United all there life and have United' best interest at hand. This appointment is not good for the club, even it brings publicity it is an inexcusable move by the board. Finally, who is Nick Leeson, where was he in terryland las year, where was he in Monaghan limerick cobh. This man is a COWBOY a blow in.
We dont Know his history from a footballing perspective and i do not believe he has United' best interests at hand. If appointing him for the sole reason of publicity and not by his experience of commericial managment, the club needs its head examined

gufct
28/04/2005, 11:37 AM
the applicants and being from Galway and a Fan is not a prerequisite of being suitable for the job.Yes the publicity has been great but Nick will be judged like all of us on his results and should be given a chance while your rant shows you to be parochial and small minded.

Macy
28/04/2005, 11:45 AM
Was going to ignore this, but feel I have to post as I'd actually be in agreement with GUFCt :D

Surely publicity is one of the most important roles of a Commercial Manager - and by god he's already brought in bucketloads already. I've heard him give several interviews on both Irish and UK Radio stations, and he seems down to earth and says himself he'll be judged on results. His after dinner speaking will already have brought him into contact with many business men around the country, and christ even his conviction showed what a good business brain he has. An excellent appointment I would think....

Éanna
28/04/2005, 2:01 PM
They say bad punlicity is good publicty. It is sad to see United have stooped this low by appointing such a character to the club. It is I believe, because United are unable to make the headlines any other way (I.E PROMOTION)they have to go and appoint an ex convict to the biggest position in the club. Sure its fantasic that Galway are in the global limelight but its a pathetic reflection on the club to take this root to piblicity.Taken his reputation aside for one minute, the club should be appoint local men/ women, those who have followed United all there life and have United' best interest at hand. This appointment is not good for the club, even it brings publicity it is an inexcusable move by the board. Finally, who is Nick Leeson, where was he in terryland las year, where was he in Monaghan limerick cobh. This man is a COWBOY a blow in.
We dont Know his history from a footballing perspective and i do not believe he has United' best interests at hand. If appointing him for the sole reason of publicity and not by his experience of commericial managment, the club needs its head examined
absolute rubbish. As for the guy being an ex-convict, it hasn't stopped Ollie Byrne making Shels a very successful club, has it? The guy has served his time, so that should be the end of it. He is qualified, because he has worked in the commercial sector a lot. He has only been living in galway a while, and from any interviews I've read with him, it seems he started going to games himself, before being approached about the job, so he must have some interest. And undeniably, its been great publicity.

TheLedge
28/04/2005, 2:57 PM
:rolleyes: Jacobean. What an absolute moronic statement. Absolute pish.

Why do you have to be from galway? Ara sure get the lad below from Spiddal/Mervue/Loughrea boyo, he'll do a good job for ya, i tells ya. Some attitude to have. If you have to have followed galway united all your life to be appointed commercial manager, well that would leave us with a pool of about 2000 people to choose from now wouldnt it? brilliant idea.

What do Peter Kenyon/David Gill know about football? Nothing. They manage the commercial growth management aspect of their respective clubs. Do they coach the first team? Choose on-field tactics? Do they come from a 50 mile radius of their clubs? Do they EVEN SUPPORT THEM? let alone all their lives?? Give me a break.

Just because Leeson is of questionable character, it hardly means he can't do the job. You can be sure he was interviewed thoroughly by the board before being appointed. It shows guts and ambition to appoint a man of his stature. United are taking a risk, but what have we got to lose?

edited by mod: were all one here lads. lets stick to attacking posts and not posters

Terry
28/04/2005, 3:10 PM
have to agree with theledge there. Unless you had shares with barings bank then you can have a go at him! His job is on the commercial side of the club and already he has done more in that sector than any Galwegian could have done in a full season.

Conor H
28/04/2005, 6:56 PM
What a load of unjustifiable rubbish! the appointment of nick leeson is one that the board deserve an immense amount of praise for.it is one of many positive steps been taken to carry our club forward.He was a man who had millions to loose which meant he obviously had done something wright and surely means he was the most qualified candidate.As previosly mentioned his job is to get G.U.F.C on the map and he already has achieved that without getting into the office.It is also unfair and petty like to see this as an alternative way of promoting G.U.F.C when the board,executive and trust have put an enormous amount of graft into gaining club recognition in the form of season ticket campaigns,lotto etc.Everyone is entitled to there own opinion but yours in my judgement is very negative and unfair