28/04/2005, 10:12 AM
Pats away to Dundalk according to www.stpatsfc.com
Match w/c 30th May

Anyone get the rest of it ?

Terry
28/04/2005, 10:19 AM
f**kin hell that draw was kept quiet :eek: :confused:

eircom League Cup format for 2005

The competition will be played on a knock-out basis from start to finish with the Kerry League and Mayo League again receiving invitations to compete. The First Round will comprise 8 matches and 8 byes.

The four clubs in European competition (Shelbourne, Cork City, Bohemians and Longford Town) will receive byes due to their heavier fixture programme. The remaining 20 clubs will be divided into two pools of 10 clubs each on a geographical basis with four ties being drawn from each pool and with the remaining two clubs in each pool receiving a bye. Thereafter, the competition would continue on open draw knock-out basis.

Poor Student
28/04/2005, 10:27 AM
Well Terry just posted the last info on the FAI website there and there's nothing on Aertel.

Terry
28/04/2005, 10:28 AM
maybe st.pats got to pick who they wanted to play!! :eek: :o

fbtn
28/04/2005, 11:18 AM
Dundalk and Pats obviously isn't based on a 'geographical' basis.

Must be a mistake as Pats would play either Rovers, Dublin City or UCD.

fbtn
28/04/2005, 11:35 AM
League Cup WAS made last night.

We have Sligo away on the last week in May.

harps1954
28/04/2005, 11:51 AM
POOL A
Limerick v Waterford United
Byes: Cobh, Cork, Kilkenny

POOL B
Dundalk v St. Pat's
Monaghan v Athlone
Byes: Bohemians, Drogheda United

POOL C
Sligo Rovers v Finn Harps
Derry v Mayo League
Byes: Galway Utd and Longford

POOL D
Bray v Shamrock Rovers
Dublin City v UCD
Byes: Kildare Co. and Shelbourne

Poor Student
28/04/2005, 11:51 AM
Dundalk and Pats obviously isn't based on a 'geographical' basis.

Must be a mistake as Pats would play either Rovers, Dublin City or UCD.

Eh? The teams without a bye to the next round are only divided into two geographical groups of 10. I'd imagine Dunalk and the Dublin clubs are in the same group.

Poor Student
28/04/2005, 11:56 AM
Wait, I'm confused. :confused: Where did they come up with four pools? And where did Kerry league go? And where did you come across this info harps1954? Almost half the teams got byes.

harpskid
28/04/2005, 12:19 PM
What Harps1954 says would be coming straight from the club.

That's the draw folks

bluemovie
28/04/2005, 12:32 PM
The Kerry League mustn't be in it. That's 9 byes and 7 games so there'll be 16 left after the 1st Round. Is this definitely the draw? Are they one-off games not two-legged?

pineapple stu
28/04/2005, 12:35 PM
So if we win, do we draw another team from Pool D? And presumably not Shels? You then end up with four Pool winners eventually, who provide the semi-final line up?

bluemovie
28/04/2005, 12:59 PM
That makes sense, Pineapple. There'll be four teams left in each pool after the initial games. Why couldn't the league have explained it as clearly at the start of the season? So Blues have to beat Limerick away, probably Cobh and then Cork just to get to the semi-finals. :(

Does anyone know when the FAI Cup 2nd Round draw will be made? Straight after the 1st Round replays? Is there seriously an 11 week gap between the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Schumi
28/04/2005, 1:00 PM
The remaining 20 clubs will be divided into two pools of 10 clubs each on a geographical basis with four ties being drawn from each pool and with the remaining two clubs in each pool receiving a bye. Thereafter, the competition would continue on open draw knock-out basis.

Da Real Rover
28/04/2005, 1:32 PM
League Cup WAS made last night.

We have Sligo away on the last week in May.
I was afraid that we mighten meet this season and its in the showgrounds, so it won't be a dissapontment.

Sheridan
28/04/2005, 2:50 PM
The format of this competition would appear to have undergone a revision since its initial announcement. According to the eL, only the quarter- and semi-final ties will be subject to an open draw. The second round will pit regional pool winners/recipients of byes against one another. The Kerry League was invited to compete, but declined the invitation. Don't know why Rockmount or someone couldn't have taken their place.

pineapple stu
28/04/2005, 3:40 PM
The remaining 20 clubs will be divided into two pools of 10 clubs each on a geographical basis with four ties being drawn from each pool and with the remaining two clubs in each pool receiving a bye.[/I]
Per the FAI alleged website (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=273125&Title=eircom+League+Cup+draw+made&lid=Main+News&sub=eircom+League+Cup+draw+made&navlid=&sublid=), the second round will involve the same pools, with the European teams coming in at this stage. This leaves two teams emerging from each pool - or eight in total - who'll form the quarter-final line-up.

Sonic
28/04/2005, 5:15 PM
Definetly correct see www.eleven-a-side.com :ball:

pete
28/04/2005, 5:29 PM
Very strange that 9 teams get byes & only 14 have games to play in round 1.

littlebray
28/04/2005, 5:43 PM
Full details here (http://www.braywanderers.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=262&Itemid=1) since this pm, confirmed by League late today.
It was Kerry's "No thanks" that forced the change! :)

sligoman
28/04/2005, 7:34 PM
Byes: Cobh, Cork, Kilkenny

Byes: Bohemians, Drogheda United

Byes: Galway Utd and Longford

Byes: Kildare Co. and Shelbourne

Why did some teams receive byes? :confused:

Poor Student
28/04/2005, 7:58 PM
Look I am confused by the changes. A simple question, is the 2nd round a straight knockout or a league pool phase?

Sheridan
28/04/2005, 8:01 PM
Look I am confused by the changes. A simple question, is the 2nd round a straight knockout or a league pool phase?
The entire tournament is composed of single-leg knockout matches, with extra time and penalties as required.

pineapple stu
28/04/2005, 8:15 PM
Why did some teams receive byes? :confused:
The four European teams get byes because they'd be tired otherwise (the FAI conveniently ignoring the fact that first XIs won't be being played in the competition anyways). The other teams get byes because there aren't enough teams (i.e. you need 32 for a straight knock-out over 5 rounds)

A face
28/04/2005, 11:36 PM
2005 eircom League Cup draw

At last night's (27th April) Management Committee Meeting the draw for the First round of this season's eircom League Cup was made.

Following a decision taken last December to revamp the competition, where it was agreed that as the two-year cycle of the eight three-club groups followed by the knock-out stages is now complete, and given the introduction of the Setanta Cup, a new format for the 2005 season League Cup competition was to be put in place:

The competition will be played on a knock-out basis from start to finish. The Kerry League and Mayo League were invited to compete but the Kerry League were unable to accept the invitation.

Read more at www.soccercentral.ie (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Eircom&id=14924&viewstory=yes)

monutdfc
29/04/2005, 8:21 AM
It's not difficult:
4 pools split on a geographical basis.
Open draw within the pools.
Byes because with a 5 or 6 team group you need byes to reduce the number of teams in the pool to 4; then you have a pool semi-final and final.
4 pools = 4 semi-finalists.

Terry
29/04/2005, 8:34 AM
4 pools = 4 semi-finalists.

surely you mean 4 pools = 4 quarter finals ???

monutdfc
29/04/2005, 8:44 AM
OK, the pool finals will in effect be quarter finals; I meant that one team will qualify from each pool into the semi-finals.

I presume this is how it will work, or will the pools be split-up before pool finals (ie quarter finals) are played?
Now I'm confused!

higgins
29/04/2005, 12:30 PM
I think its a great system they have this year.. Is well thought out and good to see the idea of the mini league ended (are you watching Setanta!) ... Keeping teams local should in theory improve crowds so its a good thing.

You dont need 32 for a 5 round knockout ?? Where did you get that idea... :confused: There are always enough teams for a straight knockout

pineapple stu
29/04/2005, 12:32 PM
You don't need 32 for a 5 round knockout ?? Where did you get that idea... :confused: There are always enough teams for a straight knockout
32 in round 1...16 in round 2...8 in the quarters...4 in the semis...2 in the final!

With 28, say, you have 28 in round 1, 14 in round 2, 7 in the quarters and you're stuck.

You need a factor of two for a straight knock-out without any byes (which was implied...)

Kerry Blue
30/04/2005, 7:29 PM
OK, the pool finals will in effect be quarter finals; I meant that one team will qualify from each pool into the semi-finals.

I presume this is how it will work, or will the pools be split-up before pool finals (ie quarter finals) are played?
Now I'm confused!
Teams will only be kept together in Pools for the first two knock-out rounds. After this you will have two teams left from each Pool. These eight teams will go into an open draw for the quarter-finals of the competition. There will be no Pool finals, so there is no garauntee that there will be 1 team from each Pool in the semi-finals.

bluemovie
01/05/2005, 11:47 AM
The four European teams get byes because they'd be tired otherwise (the FAI conveniently ignoring the fact that first XIs won't be being played in the competition anyways).

That's a very good point. It unnecessarily favours the bigger clubs who have large squads anyway and could deal with the extra match easily. No wonder we have the same four clubs in Europe two years running when everything is done to maintain the status quo. Next, Shels will get to skip the FAI Cup 2nd Round.